Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Quodio Stotes posted:

How much effort do you have to put into starting a kickstarter? I have a funny idea that I am going to set the goal at $100 and I will follow through with my promise to completion.

Well, for us, obviously the info on the game, the video, sign up on Kickstarter, need an amazon account, then have to link a checking account to amazon payments - must be verified. and then you are able to submit it to Kickstarter for approval, and you cant submit before at all. after its approved, you can pick a time for it to go 'live'. You would think that needing to link a legitimate checking account to it would be enough to deter fraud. and ya videos aren't required, just recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and you have to live in America, right? Pretty sure that's a thing.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Oh, and you have to live in America, right? Pretty sure that's a thing.

Yup, have to be either American, or Canadian. not because of Kickstarter, its because of Amazon Payments.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

Yup, have to be either American, or Canadian. not because of Kickstarter, its because of Amazon Payments.

No, just America. You can't register for Amazon payments as a Canadian.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
It looks like the bump Legends of Eisenwald got from Stoic is already starting to wear off. Shame, but at least it got them enough exposure from people who hadn't heard about it before and might donate later on. The guys working on it really need to put an update out ASAP to keep people interested.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, the Sherlock Holmes KS didn't reach its goal. They have sent an email:

quote:

Friends,

I want to express my deepest thanks for supporting this project! I am very grateful for your love of Holmes, Watson and this particular kind of adventure game. I have had the pleasure of emailing back and forth with many of you and I appreciate your efforts to get the word out about Consulting Detective!

As you know, I never had the intention of using kickstarter to fund my company - I simply wanted to get others involved in a series of games that I have a deep passion for. And while this may sound trite (forgive me) I feel like I did just that.

So, you may ask, what now? Well, I started Zojoi to release these games and that's what I will do - it may just take a while longer so I hope you will wait for me, perhaps with pipe in hand and your coat at the ready. For you fans of Shadowgate and the other 'MacVentures', yes, we are moving forward with these games as well (in ways that are unbelievably cool!) More on that in the next couple of months.

I hope you will continue to follow our progress on the Zojoi site and, if you don't mind, I'll post from time to time here to let you know where we are at as well.

Again, thank you for making this a great experience! I'm excited about what is waiting just around the next bend...

Best,

Dave Marsh

Guess they will come out. Some day.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

With 60 minutes to go, the Shadowrun dudes are going to be hard pressed getting 2 million for their kickstarter. I mean yes, they're supposedly massively overfunded already, but who cares? I think it's something about secret new additions to the game at that level which intrigues me. Still, they have a bit of money on Paypal as well, so who knows?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Shadowrun guys didn't reach 2 million even with Paypal added to the mix, but it was clear they didn't know what else to throw in for the extra money anyway. I just wanted better graphics myself.

The Tortured Hearts KS also ended and, obviously, it didn't reach its goal. Poor Lenore. :smith:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

The Tortured Hearts KS also ended and, obviously, it didn't reach its goal. Poor Lenore. :smith:

quote:

Dear Friends,
It's the end of this campaign, and we want to say a final thank you to all the backers who supported our project. We want you to know that your kind words and faith were the best part of the experience. Of course it's disappointing that we didn't reach our funding goal, this time, but it doesn't mean the end of our work on Tortured Hearts. We are as determined as ever to see it through, and we want you to continue along with us as we do so. We learned from you, and we will make a better game because of you.

We have the Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/TorturedHeartsRPG, which many of you have visited, as one way of keeping in touch. We also have a website, torturedheart s.com, which is being revised to provide a better forum, better news updates, and better graphics. When the playable demo is ready, it will be on this site. Please keep an eye on both these sites and please keep spreading the word to friends and forums to join in. We'll be back!

Lenore Hoehl

:smith: indeed. At least she's remaining positive.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

The Shadowrun guys didn't reach 2 million even with Paypal added to the mix, but it was clear they didn't know what else to throw in for the extra money anyway. I just wanted better graphics myself.

I still think she can do better with a little more of a presentation.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

I still think she can do better with a little more of a presentation.

She's said she's going back to the drawing board and polish up her presentation a bit more before trying again, so hopefully we'll be hearing from her again.

In the meantime, she posted this article, which is a pretty interesting read for those interested in how beneficial a Kickstarter campaign actually is. The answer: not so much if you have no business sense. Supposedly, these developers will burn through the money they raised, not realizing just how expensive it is to develop the game they pitched (e: depending on the type/scope of the game of course).

Narmi fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 30, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, it seemed fairly certain they were not going to make it when they were like "and if we reach TWO MILLION, who KNOWS what we might throw in??!? .... SERIOUSLY WE DO NOT KNOW"

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Narmi posted:

In the meantime, she posted this article, which is a pretty interesting read for those interested in how beneficial a Kickstarter campaign actually is. The answer: not so much if you have no business sense. Supposedly, these developers will burn through the money they raised, not realizing just how expensive it is to develop the game they pitched (e: depending on the type/scope of the game of course).
drat, they linked to the StarCommand kickstart and I have to say had I known about this game last year I would have backed it without hesitation. Nice to see them being so open about their project, too!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The Legends of Eisenwald developers have posted their second update, which includes the combat video they were talking about a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CSDr4RTPZU

Eisenwald Develoopers posted:

Please note, our game is still in alpha, and quite a few things are missing – there are no hints which makes unclear how many hits will be taken from a unit. Also, there are no visual effects for spells and low-mode shaders are used.

We wanted to demonstrate with this video that:
  • There is no movement without attacking;
  • The battle is dynamic and doesn’t last too long – the second battle was just 4 rounds long;
  • Battle outcome depends on initial positioning and tactics.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Narmi posted:

This is a great article that makes me wonder how many of the kickstarters people have backed will fail a year out. The success rate can't possibly be 100%, especially with the number of high profile kickstarters these past two months.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

emoticon posted:

This is a great article that makes me wonder how many of the kickstarters people have backed will fail a year out. The success rate can't possibly be 100%, especially with the number of high profile kickstarters these past two months.

I think theres also a mentality of "we raised 80,000, we can all quit our jobs and work on the game now!" which leads to not having any money to invest in the game when that money comes up short in actual development.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Al! posted:

I think theres also a mentality of "we raised 80,000, we can all quit our jobs and work on the game now!" which leads to not having any money to invest in the game when that money comes up short in actual development.

totally depends on what the team is capable of, outside of software licensing there isn't much else to spend money on besides salary, unless you plan to outsource assets. If your team is not capable of doing 90% of the project on your own, you probably shouldn't be doing a kickstarter anyway. For example, the only thing we are outsourcing on Kinetic Void is our audio, and we already have a musician that is working on it.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 30, 2012

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It's inevitable that some level of KS fatigue is going to set in when enough projects fall through. Which is a shame because I want to get on this Startkicking before people are once bitten twice shy

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

LumberingTroll posted:

totally depends on what the team is capable of, outside of software licensing there isn't much else to spend money on besides salary, unless you plan to outsource assets. If your team is not capable of doing 90% of the project on your own, you probably shouldn't be doing a kickstarter anyway. For example, the only thing we are outsourcing on Kinetic Void is our audio, and we already have a musician that is working on it.

This naively assumes that the team can perfectly deliver work of an expected quality exactly on schedule. If it were that easy, real games by real professionals would never get delayed.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Saving some of that Kickstarter windfall for some marketing wouldn't hurt either. Even if it's just the initial kick-off to start the word-of-mouth machine.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
^ that is a good point. though there is a lot that can be done for free, but requires a lot of time.

emoticon posted:

This naively assumes that the team can perfectly deliver work of an expected quality exactly on schedule. If it were that easy, real games by real professionals would never get delayed.

That doesn't change the fact that the only thing left to pay would be salary, it would just be for longer, and or to more people. In that sense if not planned accordingly funds could dry up, especially if people were being paid too much from the kickstarter funds. It doesn't 'naively assume' anything. Obviously projects get delayed, that doesn't mean that they run and outsource all their assets.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
All right, which one of you is the "Mark" who is responding to my a/s/l in the Mythic Kickstarter comments? We are Seattle buddies :kiddo::hf::kiddo:

In other Kickstarter news ... I think in regards to Fintilgin's earlier question about what the "bottom-rung" price will be in the future as they adjust it for maximum profit, I realized that the reason I have no interest in the Dead Linger is because I find it impossible to pledge $25 for something that I do not believe will necessarily come out. Has anyone else already found a project that they would have totally backed at like $10/$15 but somehow $20+ is JUST TOO MUCH?

Nor am I going to spend $15 on Leisure Suit Larry, but that is because it would be hypocritical of me to spend years bashing adventure games and then get excited about their majestic return.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Were these posted yet? The Mythic scam got some (incredibly minor) press attention:

http://www.ingame.msnbc.msn.com/technology/ingame/kickstarter-game-mythic-story-gods-men-outed-scam-743972

http://www.betabeat.com/2012/04/30/this-is-what-a-kickstarter-scam-looks-like/

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1224054p1.html

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Looks like Legends of Eisenwald saw another big funding spike today. Whats up with that?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

Looks like Legends of Eisenwald saw another big funding spike today. Whats up with that?

They released another update that shows how (alpha) combat actually works. I guess people liked what they saw.

e: Also they've been really good at responding to comments and answering questions on their Kickstart page, which probably helps put people mroe at ease about funding the game. They're really coming off as a bunch of really nice guys who want to make something that they honnestly love.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 1, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
We have a new thread, and our Kickstarter is now live.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482187&pagenumber=1#lastpost
http://kck.st/KniuPR

I would greatly appreciate a sticky in games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That looks pretty drat good man. Nice video and the option to mess around with the alpha is ace.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Dead Linger sent me an email today, asking me to fill in my email / give the name I want to have in the credits / sign up for their forums to get some badge or something. It wouldn't let me skip the last one, but I never got a confirmation email from the forums *or* the steam code for their other game. Anyone else waiting to hear back, or did I screw up somehow?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Dead Linger sent me an email today, asking me to fill in my email / give the name I want to have in the credits / sign up for their forums to get some badge or something. It wouldn't let me skip the last one, but I never got a confirmation email from the forums *or* the steam code for their other game. Anyone else waiting to hear back, or did I screw up somehow?

I don't know about the forum (I didn't get a conformation either), but as for the Detour code, it's probably something they have to send out manually, so I wouldn't worry about it right away.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

The Legends of Eisenwald developers have posted their second update, which includes the combat video they were talking about a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CSDr4RTPZU

I don't usually donate to these things because I am not a rich man but I love games like this. I threw down a 50 :)

So they're at 28,541 and their goal is 50k with 21 days to go. What are the odds this one will succeed?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I'm sorry, I can't type up a whole big thing on this project though I would like to because I should be writing a paper that's due tonight. But given that there are only 11 days left on this project I was kind of surprised I had only heard about it today because it seems entirely professional and kind of encouraging:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan

Did I miss some discussion of this? It's certainly not in the OP. At the moment its goal isn't looking too good and I think that's too bad as even though I'm sort of naturally disposed to ignoring iOS games, their intentions are at least pretty noble. And there's talk of a desktop version. The main guy was a director on Halo 4 and producer on Metal Gear Solid 4.

Role Play McMurphy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 1, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

We have a new thread, and our Kickstarter is now live.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482187&pagenumber=1#lastpost
http://kck.st/KniuPR

I would greatly appreciate a sticky in games.

About loving time. I'll toss you some money in May.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Quarex posted:

In other Kickstarter news ... I think in regards to Fintilgin's earlier question about what the "bottom-rung" price will be in the future as they adjust it for maximum profit, I realized that the reason I have no interest in the Dead Linger is because I find it impossible to pledge $25 for something that I do not believe will necessarily come out. Has anyone else already found a project that they would have totally backed at like $10/$15 but somehow $20+ is JUST TOO MUCH?
I have that dilemma with the Turrican Soundtrack Kickstarter. :(

Edit: This must be the lowest (yet reasonable) goal I've seen yet: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2083615857/hast-du-eier

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 1, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

SupSuper posted:

Edit: This must be the lowest (yet reasonable) goal I've seen yet: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2083615857/hast-du-eier

quote:

One year ago in Germany, a young woman (my wife) was baking cookies and realized she was short one very important ingredient: eggs. Off she went to the convenience store located across the street - a very busy street, two lanes each way with a bike lane, to boot.

quote:

Won't you help give this classic story the rich retelling it deserves? We here in Germany certainly think so.

Not a lot going on in Germany since the war, huh.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

NINbuntu 64 posted:

About loving time. I'll toss you some money in May.

Hey, we had a list of features we wanted in the demo before we kicked it off, :D I appreciate anything you can pledge!

also just purchased 4 banner slots on SA. common goons!

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 1, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SupSuper posted:

HEY! Me too!!! I never even owned a C64/Amiga or played the Turrican games, but I have been loving .mods/.sids/remixes of the soundtrack for 20 years, and it seems like something worth supporting. Fortunately they already hit the goal, but it would be pretty sweet to get those legitimately ...

Also Hast Du Eier looks hilarious. Though I hope his wife is being a silent thing in the background for hilarity and not because HE IS OPPRESSING HER :argh:

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Did I miss some discussion of this?
You missed a lot of people ridiculing it for clearly being a self-important "FIRST SERIOUS HIGH-QUALITY TITLE FOR IPAD" ploy that failed and that people are skeptical of the claim that it will have a good PC/Mac version (or come out at all).

Edit: That may have been a little more harsh than the actual conversation, but it is also only a few pages ago so you could check.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 1, 2012

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I still kind of really want it to succeed, and I probably would've put up $50 if they'd announced it for PC to begin with, but I'm not really willing to put any money down on it at this point. I wonder how many people think similarly, and if there's any chance they'd have reached their goal already otherwise.
edit in case this looks like some kind of "PC MASTER RACE" post, my main issue is that they seem more passionate about some weird, specific desire to do the game on iOS than they do about the game itself.

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 1, 2012

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Quarex posted:

You missed a lot of people ridiculing it for clearly being a self-important "FIRST SERIOUS HIGH-QUALITY TITLE FOR IPAD" ploy that failed and that people are skeptical of the claim that it will have a good PC/Mac version (or come out at all).

Edit: That may have been a little more harsh than the actual conversation, but it is also only a few pages ago so you could check.

No, that's about right. There is a lot of skepticism, not to mention that the kickstarter isn't to fund development, but to prove to VCs that the game is worth investor funding.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Douche Bag posted:

So they're at 28,541 and their goal is 50k with 21 days to go. What are the odds this one will succeed?
I think the odds are very good. Kicktraq has the history of the LoE Kickstarter, and it looks like the daily averages (outside the spikes) are increasing as the project gets exposure. The lead developer has linked up with someone who works with the online gaming press and has been receiving tips on his press package & contact information for relevant journalists. He is also making himself available for interviews. I'm expecting Legends of Eisenwald to pop up on more websites in the near future, which should bring their own spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Rebel Blob posted:

I think the odds are very good. Kicktraq has the history of the LoE Kickstarter, and it looks like the daily averages (outside the spikes) are increasing as the project gets exposure. The lead developer has linked up with someone who works with the online gaming press and has been receiving tips on his press package & contact information for relevant journalists. He is also making himself available for interviews. I'm expecting Legends of Eisenwald to pop up on more websites in the near future, which should bring their own spikes.

What's interesting is that if you compare the two spikes in pledges, there's a significant difference. The first one, after they got the shout-out from Stoic, saw 7.5k from 345 backers. Today's amount was roughly the same amount but from fewer backers - 8.2k from 114 guys. So it's fair to say that people are willing to take a bigger risk now and are more confident that they'll enjoy the game (since they're willing to pay more).

e: here's a breakdown (using the numbers from kicktraq)
code:
Day	Raised	Backers	Avg. pledge
1	$679	36	$19
2	$1,181	51	$23
3	$1,582	79	$20
4	$1,723	68	$25
5	$1,238	61	$20
6	$1,697	77	$22
7	$7,571	345	$22
8	$3,107	150	$21
9	$1,685	81	$21
10	$8,198	114	$72
so today's backers roughly 3 time the second highest average backers.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 1, 2012