Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solid Lizzie posted:

Do you know what the significance of the lobster costume was?

It matches the ugliness of the thinkpad, the ugliest laptop on earth.

edit:

joat mon posted:

The see no error, hear no error, speak of no error monkey that is an appellate court is not capable of understanding anything beyond 'Spot the Dog.' If you've got anything more complex, you will lose.

[seriouspost] Because of the expansion of harmless error analysis, you're simply not going to get relief if you 'only' have the law on your side. You've got to convince the court, from a subjective/emotional point of view, why your client should win. At least this part needs to be in a 'Spot the Dog' format [/seriouspost]

And the State's answer brief:
1. waived
2. if not waived, not error
3. a. within the court's discretion, or
b. not error (if de novo)
4. if error, harmless
Ain't exactly Umberto Eco.

I have no idea who or what Umberto Eco is, but the fundamental fact in my experience is that appellate defence attorneys have some magical inability to comprehend what they read. This disability ranges from misquoting the record (in which case a simple citation suffices), to citing cases almost at random for propositions they simply don't hold. Then you have the wonderful defence attorneys who create "novel" legal arguments that leave you banging your head on the wall (defendant committed the offence in year X, therefore the case law from year X must apply and you must ignore more recent case law as you would more recent statutes!), or just bugger the case in some other manner (like filing stupid poo poo and causing the court to lose jurisdiction).

A prosecutor's role in this whole affair isn't limited to following a checklist like some unthinking robot. There are some paths to follow, but there's a great deal of legal research and thinking that you have to do because the defence attorney certainly never will.

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Agesilaus posted:

It matches the ugliness of the thinkpad, the ugliest laptop on earth.

Umberto Eco

Maybe that guy is from P-town? So lobster costumes is a normal way of dress?

Also, Eco is an Italian author in the post-modern school of literature. He's best known for "The name of the rose," a murder-mystery set in a ~15th century monastery. He's one of those post-modern authors who writes as if they were in a different time; hence the ancient murder-mystery. I only read a bit of it before my mother stole it, but it wasn't terrible.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

woozle wuzzle posted:

If you have a financial windfall within 180 days of filing, it's part of the bankruptcy. If grandma dies or you win megamillions on day 181, it's all free and clear. But if that happens on day 179, the creditors get the first shot at it. Work bonuses, raises, and that sort of thing don't count. It's typically winning prizes, inheritance, or divorce settlements that counts as a financial windfall. That's how it works now, it may have been different before 2005.
But the bankruptcy code only provides that post-petition earnings become property of the estate in divorce settlements, inheritances or from life insurance payments from what I saw - it's pretty specific that it's only those three categories unless there's some other code section I don't know about (there often is in bankruptcy)? Gambling winnings/lottery payments should be post-petition earnings if you bought the ticket/gambled away post-petition earnings unless there's something I'm totally lost on. :confused:

Edit: Or I could just be dumb and it's a Chapter 13 that the dude still has to fund :v:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 27, 2012

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Solid Lizzie posted:

Do you know what the significance of the lobster costume was?

"Please marry me! Don't be shellfish; I'm in hot water without you!" :zoid:

Or maybe she gave him crabs. :rimshot:

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Zenostein posted:

Also, Eco is an Italian author in the post-modern school of literature. He's best known for "The name of the rose," a murder-mystery set in a ~15th century monastery. He's one of those post-modern authors who writes as if they were in a different time; hence the ancient murder-mystery. I only read a bit of it before my mother stole it, but it wasn't terrible.

Foucault's Pendulum is way better than Dan Brown's stupid bullshit Da Vinci Code.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Gambling winnings/lottery payments should be post-petition earnings if you bought the ticket/gambled away post-petition earnings unless there's something I'm totally lost on. :confused:
I know that gambling/lottery winnings are taken by 7 trustees, but it actually took me a while to pin down why. You're right that only inheritance and divorce are listed specifically. After much sifting through the code, the answer was right there all along:

god drat unreadable federal code posted:

(6)Proceeds, product, offspring, rents, or profits of or from property of the estate, except such as are earnings from services performed by an individual debtor after the commencement of the case.

(7)Any interest in property that the estate acquires after the commencement of the case.
If a debtor spends $1 to buy a lottery ticket, really the bankruptcy estate just paid $1 to buy the lottery ticket. The proceeds from that win are not treated as earnings or income, but instead just a profit generated from the estate's own property. (I've had trustees take non-exempt rent proceeds that became due post-petition, for example). Even if that $1 was exempted, the proceeds from it are not. So I'd think that ability to take lottery winnings expires upon discharge (assuming no fraud/concealment), instead of 180 days. Divorce and inheritance are spelled out separately because they don't spring from the estate's existing property. I could be wrong on this interpretation, it's late.

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 27, 2012

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

CaptainScraps posted:

Apparently a lot of the major trial lawyers in town get together once a month to play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 in a giant lan party.

Is the proper etiquette to crush them or not to crush them?

Depends on your job prospects/security.

I made a rather substantial mistake in going all out during a dodgeball game, striking a highly competitive potential employer who had been intimating that he was considering me for a particular position.

I did not get that position.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

woozle wuzzle posted:

I know that gambling/lottery winnings are taken by 7 trustees, but it actually took me a while to pin down why. You're right that only inheritance and divorce are listed specifically. After much sifting through the code, the answer was right there all along:

If a debtor spends $1 to buy a lottery ticket, really the bankruptcy estate just paid $1 to buy the lottery ticket. The proceeds from that win are not treated as earnings or income, but instead just a profit generated from the estate's own property. (I've had trustees take non-exempt rent proceeds that became due post-petition, for example). Even if that $1 was exempted, the proceeds from it are not. So I'd think that ability to take lottery winnings expires upon discharge (assuming no fraud/concealment), instead of 180 days. Divorce and inheritance are spelled out separately because they don't spring from the estate's existing property. I could be wrong on this interpretation, it's late.
But if the debtor spends his post petition earnings on it, then the estate didn't pay anything I would think - the debtor did. I'm saying this on the assumption it should be relatively easy to separate out pre and post petition assets; I mean doesn't the trustee immediately seize all of the pre-petition assets (i.e. bank accounts) as estate assets? It seems like the gambling winnings would spring out of his post-petition earnings unless there was some way to make it clear the gambling winnings came from pre-petition assets.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 27, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Abugadu posted:

I made a rather substantial mistake in going all out during a dodgeball game, striking a highly competitive potential employer who had been intimating that he was considering me for a particular position.

I did not get that position.

Be honest, now. Did you really want to practice schoolyard law? The only decent money is in defending bullies and doing the occasional transactional work on agreements between cliques about who gets to sit on the benches and who gets to use the swings. Sure, you could be one of the .001% who gets to practice sports law, but you have to know someone who is a celebrity athlete in dodgeball, tag, hide-and-seek, or (sometimes) Red Rover. Good luck with that.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Apparently a lot of the major trial lawyers in town get together once a month to play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 in a giant lan party.

Is the proper etiquette to crush them or not to crush them?

Are you still in Austin? Because the major trial lawyers here are all like 60 and 70 years old. Pretty funny to imagine a geriatric LAN.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

TheBestDeception posted:

Are you still in Austin? Because the major trial lawyers here are all like 60 and 70 years old. Pretty funny to imagine a geriatric LAN.

Dallas :( I want to move back. I've got a plan but it's going to take a while.

They're all in their 50s here.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Angry Grimace posted:

But if the debtor spends his post petition earnings on it, then the estate didn't pay anything I would think - the debtor did. I'm saying this on the assumption it should be relatively easy to separate out pre and post petition assets; I mean doesn't the trustee immediately seize all of the pre-petition assets (i.e. bank accounts) as estate assets? It seems like the gambling winnings would spring out of his post-petition earnings unless there was some way to make it clear the gambling winnings came from pre-petition assets.

My understanding is, in a chapter 7, the estate is created by the petition and is not ended until the discharge. Income post petition is not expressly property of the estate but various sections of the code give the trustee avoidance powers over post petition transfers (which my client unfortunately did). Additionally if the trustee feels that my client is abusing the bankruptcy process, he/she can deny the discharge under 707(b)(3).

My client has a number of other issues (pre-petition transfers to insiders, etc.) so I don't think this is the case to make a stand on.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

CaptainScraps posted:

Dallas :( I want to move back. I've got a plan but it's going to take a while.

They're all in their 50s here.
I'm opposing an Austin firm in an annoying case now. Weird bunch of dudes.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
Mainly just lurk on this thread, but I wanted to share this:
http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...gn=weekly_email
Better article: http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/legal_skills/2012/04/new-york-attorney-suspended-for-writing-bad-briefs.html

ABA Article posted:

The state court opinion summarized the federal grievance committee’s conclusions. Sobolevsky had submitted briefs of “shockingly poor quality,” the committee found. Defects included incorrect clients' names, inclusion of irrelevant boilerplate, and reference to evidence that had not been submitted.

excerpt from decision posted:

The Second Circuit proceeding concerned charges that respondent: (1) submitted deficient briefs in seven immigration matters; (2) failed to comply with numerous scheduling orders, including failing to submit briefs in support of immigration petitions; and (3) filed with the Second Circuit petitions that involved immigration proceedings completed in other circuits.

The second article contains some of the court decision. I am currently not practicing (no jobs and all that) but when I was I received at least one brief a month that I would classify as "shockingly poor quality". I smiled a bit when I read this article. He got 2 years suspension which seemed a bit harsh. May have been more for the unauthorized practice than anything.

e: better article

stephelopholus fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 27, 2012

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
2d Circuit's Order
NY's Order
e:a copy where the report of the greivance committee is readable.

VVVV
Because he claimed, "but look at all the good briefs I did!" (out of 64 petitions filed)
"In any event, Sobolevsky’s ability to competently discharge his obligations in six cases is not a significant mitigating factor when weighed against the misconduct described in the Committee’s report."

Sobolevsky’s ability to competently discharge his obligations in six cases
talk about damning with faint praise...

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 27, 2012

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

joat mon posted:

2d Circuit's Order

Thanks.

quote:

1 For purposes of this order, we liberally construe Sobolevsky's June 2009 response in his favor and assume that the three unnamed cases do not include Sulaymanov, Razzakova, or Chion Yin Kong - i.e., that he obtained favorable results and/or wrote good briefs in six different cases.

The fact that they have an exact number of his good briefs is very amusing to me. I just scanned through it, and the guy seems like a complete mess.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

entris posted:

Be honest, now. Did you really want to practice schoolyard law? The only decent money is in defending bullies and doing the occasional transactional work on agreements between cliques about who gets to sit on the benches and who gets to use the swings. Sure, you could be one of the .001% who gets to practice sports law, but you have to know someone who is a celebrity athlete in dodgeball, tag, hide-and-seek, or (sometimes) Red Rover. Good luck with that.

I hear there's some good money in schoolyard mass torts. Boogie litigation is blowing up, and my buddy just won this class-action settlement of 5 juice boxes and a whoopie cushion

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

entris posted:

The only time it doesn't pay is when there is only one schoolyard law practicioner.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

In practice none of the assets are "seized" for normal people. So they continue to operate out of the same bank accounts like nothing happened. Unless the debtor makes a clear break, like opening a new bank account, you can't split out the post-petition income. Once the money is co-mingled, you can't unravel it. Instead of having people change accounts, I just tell them to stop playing the lottery for 6 months (and some call me 6 months after their bankruptcy to make sure they can resume playing...).

A secondary effect is a loss of discharge. Like let's say the money that bought the ticket is clearly provable as post-petition income. The trustee might not be able to get those funds, but they may object to discharge if the winnings push the debtor's income to disqualify them from a 7.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

woozle wuzzle posted:

In practice none of the assets are "seized" for normal people. So they continue to operate out of the same bank accounts like nothing happened. Unless the debtor makes a clear break, like opening a new bank account, you can't split out the post-petition income. Once the money is co-mingled, you can't unravel it. Instead of having people change accounts, I just tell them to stop playing the lottery for 6 months (and some call me 6 months after their bankruptcy to make sure they can resume playing...).

A secondary effect is a loss of discharge. Like let's say the money that bought the ticket is clearly provable as post-petition income. The trustee might not be able to get those funds, but they may object to discharge if the winnings push the debtor's income to disqualify them from a 7.

Well Texas doesn't have any cash exemptions and and the state exemptions are way better than the federal exemptions so my clients have $0 balances in their accounts when we file.

That said, the trustee still instructs the debtor at every 341 meeting that any post petition gambling or lottery winnings have to be reported and will probably be taken.

Edit: Tax or bankruptcy folks, is an individual personally liable for his business's 940 and 941 deficiencies? Are those obligations discharged in bankruptcy?

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 27, 2012

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Yes and no (in that order, in other words bad news)

They are hardcore personally liable for 940 & 941 and its not dischargeable. They can pay it through a 13 plan, but it has to be 100%. With the typical amounts I've seen of those taxes, that means they're screwed. I don't know the exact tax end of things, but they roll over as "civil penalties" attached to the owners personally. There's no sunset on it or anything like income tax in bankruptcy. There's no way to kill them off. I've only dealt with small corporations (1-2 owners), which I imagine is what you've got.

It seems like the first thing any dying business does is stop paying the payroll tax. So what could have been a clean break from a failed business turns into a giant nightmare of personal liability.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I'm going to be working the entire Memorial Day long weekend. Yes, I will literally be in Court and in my office working on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. My great reward will be a day and a half of comp time. No money, just comp time.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Speaking of bankruptcy, Dewey is going to go into BK pretty drat soon. They canceled their SA class and have lost over 70 partners.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Agesilaus posted:

So I'm going to be working the entire Memorial Day long weekend. Yes, I will literally be in Court and in my office working on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. My great reward will be a day and a half of comp time. No money, just comp time.

gently caress that poo poo, time to go private.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Dewey Ballantine has been teetering for ages. I used to work with some Dewey defectors who had left for stabler pastures.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

HolySwissCheese posted:

Dewey Ballantine has been teetering for ages. I used to work with some Dewey defectors who had left for stabler pastures.

Yeah, classmate of mine used to work there, she says they were the worst-run organization she's ever seen.

Really sucks for their SA class, though I guess they knew about the firm's troubles going in. Any idea how many summers were in their class?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Roger_Mudd posted:

Edit: Tax or bankruptcy folks, is an individual personally liable for his business's 940 and 941 deficiencies? Are those obligations discharged in bankruptcy?
It's called the Trust Fund Recovery Penalty. Go look at 26 USC 6672. It's assessable against multiple individuals simultaneously and anyone who gets tagged with it is jointly and severally liable for the whole amount. And it's permanently non-dischargeable pursuant to 11 USC 523(a)(1)(A) and 11 USC 507(a)(8)(c). Also, TFRP assessments are permanently categorized as priority taxes, so you can't be in an individual Chapter 11 unless you can afford to fully pay off the TFRP within your 60-month plan. This has serious consequences since many people with TFRP assessments have total liabilities above the Chapter 13 limits. For those people, it's Chapter 7 or nothing.

The IRS takes trust fund taxes seriously and will actively pursue collection on a TFRP. I've gone into bankruptcy court before to object to discharges on TFRP assessments that were for tax periods 12 years earlier.

10-8 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 28, 2012

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

edit: Yeah, what 10-8 said.

Roger_Mudd posted:

My BK professor went over it briefly. Said it was basically the worst thing the debtor could do because the IRS takes it extremely seriously.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Yeah, classmate of mine used to work there, she says they were the worst-run organization she's ever seen.

Really sucks for their SA class, though I guess they knew about the firm's troubles going in. Any idea how many summers were in their class?

For what it's worth, I knew a few Howrey summers who got their class canceled and I think they all wound up landing summer slots at other firms, so Dewey summers may not get completely hosed.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nm posted:

The moment I find a law job that will maintain my salary/broaden my legal background, I am out the door. I am working this saturday too, I got up at five for the great compensation of half a day comp time. I may well be doing the same thing next week.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Maintain your salary? Inhale the warm vapors of solo practice, for half the salary at half the hours. The "broadening legal background" is taken care of by watching Judge Judy in all your new free time.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

nm posted:

But nobility! And the soul! And Plato's people in the cave!

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I would rather have comp time than more money, but I think my circumstances are special.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alaemon posted:

But nobility! And the soul! And Plato's people in the cave!

It is a question of nobility and souls and plato. I find the situation to be offensive.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I'm sure its been brought up before but can anyone help me or point to a good explanation of the Rule Against Perpetuities?
The way I understand it, it seems you can't assign any interests beyond the death of the latest life in being just because it is possible (even if unlikely) that the interest will vest beyond 21 years.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, help!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

fougera posted:

I'm sure its been brought up before but can anyone help me or point to a good explanation of the Rule Against Perpetuities?
The way I understand it, it seems you can't assign any interests beyond the death of the latest life in being just because it is possible (even if unlikely) that the interest will vest beyond 21 years.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, help!

If this is for the MBE, just skip the two questions over RAP. If this is for a test, may God have mercy on your soul.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Having trouble giving fucks about finals.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

fougera posted:

Yes - if it is possible for an interest to vest more than 21 years after a life in being at the time of the bequest, that interest is invalid because of RAP.

There is a pretty decent explanation of the RAP in an old law review article - 51 HLR 638 - if you can't get it yourself, PM me and I'll email you a copy.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ani posted:

Yes - if it is possible for an interest to vest more than 21 years after a life in being at the time of the bequest, that interest is invalid because of RAP.

There is a pretty decent explanation of the RAP in an old law review article - 51 HLR 638 - if you can't get it yourself, PM me and I'll email you a copy.

Yep. If it is possible for an interest to still be contingent after everybody alive at the granting has died, then it violates the rule and is invalid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

All I remember about RAP are the fertile octogenarian and the precocious toddler because both terms are hilarious.