Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

folgore posted:

Look for a godmode mod or trainer. I'm serious. It's not worth the frustration.

e: I was able to beat it after like 15 tries. I ran in with those useless companions and tried to get a couple hits on one of the enemies before they all died. After that I just circled the group waiting for an opening to attack, and whittled them down until only the draugir or whatever was left. Luck played a huge part in this, I think. It's probably the worst part of the game.

I made it, although my solution was less then ideal. I ran straight forward instead of going for the flank, hit the draugir which did no damage but caused the whole group to switch their attention to me and promptly get hacked to pieces by my 2 remaining allies. By the time the enemies switched targets again there was only one guy left with the draugir, who immediately did a bullrush across a fire that's part of the arena border and didn't return for 15-20 seconds and I used that time to get rid of the last footman.

For the next combat bit after the archers, I ran around in circles until the shield guy was half the arena behind, killed the two others, then simply outlasted the shield guy by parrying, waiting until he recoils and attacking him normally. Seltkirk had 60+ armor so a parried attack often did single digit damage. I cheesed the second fight by walking forward until one guy attacked me, walking back, killing him and repeating that for the others.

For the boss itself, the toughest part was dodging quickly enough after the loading screen so he didn't oneshot me. On my third try, I lucked out and he immediately did his charge, missed me, rammed into a wall and I got to hit him in the rear end 8 times before he recovered, which killed him. Did he always have this few hp? I recall him being a lot less squishy on my first play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
I just got to Act 2 on Iorveth's path, what armor and weapons should I be going for?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Asehujiko posted:

For the boss itself, the toughest part was dodging quickly enough after the loading screen so he didn't oneshot me. On my third try, I lucked out and he immediately did his charge, missed me, rammed into a wall and I got to hit him in the rear end 8 times before he recovered, which killed him. Did he always have this few hp? I recall him being a lot less squishy on my first play through.

It took me a while as alchemy spec. The game doesn't let you meditate before the draug, so no potions...unless I missed something. It was super lame how the autosave leaves you directly in front of the draug with your pants down and no way to dodge out of its way before a hit lands. Like I said in my last post, I think the whole sequence was the worst part of the game by far.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
As a fellow alchemy spec, I know your sorrow. Without riposte that whole sequence was just dumb and I don't know who put the autosave spawn right on top of the draug. Depending on what move he does (which I presume is random) you're looking at a clean miss, or over 75% of your health. It's bad game design to punish the player for an event they have no control over.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Is there any way to do the mist section without Riposte on Dark mode? On Hard my companions live long enough to let me kill all the small enemies and I can handle the big guy by staying away, letting him charge and hitting him while he runs past me but on Dark the friendly npc's die before I even get to the enemy.

I struggled with it during the week when I was going through with an alchemy spec and finally managed to find a realiable, albeit exploity way to do it. It'll only work if you have two points in parry, but I would assume most people invest there anyway.

When you enter the ring of fire, look for the tree behind the enemy group on the edge of the fire. Run past them, and stand square against the tree on the clockwise side. From there, face the enemies who should now be charging towards you, and hold parry down. They'll whack you a few times knocking you back, but for some reason (possibly due to the tree being there?) the fire doesn't injure you at that point on the ring. After being knocked back a bit, you'll be pushed outside their activation zone, at which point they'll start walking back to the centre of the circle. Let them take a few steps, then run and hit which ever enemy is closest with a hard strike from behind. Run back to your safe spot and repeat. A few strikes should be enough to take out each of the lesser knights.

For those on the final Draug fight on an alchemy spec, I found that mass produced bombs were the only way to make up for losing access to oils and potions. Just lob them at him whenever you get a chance, and of course don't forget to have quen up to save you from his whirlwind power.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

homerlaw posted:

I just got to Act 2 on Iorveth's path, what armor and weapons should I be going for?
It depends on what you have now. If have the Jagged Blade and a Superb Witcher's Silver Sword(or similar), go to the shop in Vergen and buy the diagram for a Robust <color> Meteorite Sword. The game practically throws steel swords at you.

If you are playing on Dark and have Ultimatum/Anathema, get Virgin/Black Unicorn asap. They drain your health just as fast as the Ch1 swords but you can steal HP much more effectively with them. Do make some cat potions however, you won't see a loving thing without them.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So I've noticed that my game loads slower and slower lately and couldn't figure out why.

I then open up the load game menu and discover over 500 separate save files that I have accrued over time. I then spend the next 30 minutes deleting them all and discover my game now loads normally.

What the gently caress CDProjekt? You think you could "enhance" this while you're at it? This is a really, really stupid problem for a game to have. Why does the game save every single autosave? No, CDProjekt, I'm pretty sure I don't need a 10 hour old save from the beginning, honest.

To be fair to them though, the kick-rear end main menu theme made those 30 minutes fairly tolerable.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ha ha! I'm in Act 3 and there's a spot in Loc Muinne where apparently you always get attacked by Harpies.

Only instead of swooping down or already being there, there's a screech and then like four of them just kind of... teleport into place. One at a time. And are completely frozen until they're done spawning. I also can't draw my sword until they all spawn, apparently.

It's not like it's a tough fight - I mean, they spawn all around you, but because of they're frozen for like thirty seconds you have plenty of time to get into a better position. It's just funny and ridiculous, like the Nekkers that sometimes pop up outside Flotsam and just stand there while you hack them apart.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Red Mundus posted:

So I've noticed that my game loads slower and slower lately and couldn't figure out why.

I then open up the load game menu and discover over 500 separate save files that I have accrued over time. I then spend the next 30 minutes deleting them all and discover my game now loads normally.

What the gently caress CDProjekt? You think you could "enhance" this while you're at it? This is a really, really stupid problem for a game to have. Why does the game save every single autosave? No, CDProjekt, I'm pretty sure I don't need a 10 hour old save from the beginning, honest.

To be fair to them though, the kick-rear end main menu theme made those 30 minutes fairly tolerable.

That's why people made a save manager. It can even backs them up for you, which zips them up nice and tight (which actually compresses the saves a crap ton; my 6MB end-game save got zipped down to 800KB, but that's because their save files are unoptimized.).

PureRok fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 29, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

PureRok posted:

That's why people made a save manager. It even backs them up for you, which zips them up nice and tight (which actually compresses the saves a crap ton, my 6MB end-game save got zipped down to 800KB, but that's because their save files are unoptimized.).

I gotta try this... everything in game runs great, but the main menu and load game screen, and even the "would you like to load your last save" dying screen just crawl. Hopefully clearing out my ridiculous number of saves (I guess all from my first playthrough are still hanging around) will fix it.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
I'm in act 1, and have a bunch of stuff in storage with the innkeeper. Will I be able to access the same items from other locations, or do I need to clear it out before I move on in the game?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

homerlaw posted:

I go for the Armor of Ban Ard, because I think it looks awesome. (You don't have to buy it though, you can find it later on in the chapter.)

Eponymous posted:

I'm in act 1, and have a bunch of stuff in storage with the innkeeper. Will I be able to access the same items from other locations, or do I need to clear it out before I move on in the game?
Everything is automatically moved to the next chapter's storage chest.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 29, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
goddamn that act 1 letho fight :arghfist:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Man the Royal blood quest is just brutal.

Act 2 Iorveth spoilers for Royal Blood

I honestly had no loving idea what to do with that quest. I accidentally talked to the wrong person which apparently screws you over into obtaining all the evidence.

Hell, my decision was based on complete speculation. I kind of wished CDProjekt gave you some wiggle room so I could at LEAST talk to the servant and hear his side. Overall though I chose Stennis. When he told me Saska was just common rabble and a peasant it kind of made me realize he was a douche and probably did her in so he wouldn't have to deal with her later on. Feels kind of out of character for him though as killing her AFTER the battle would probably be better and he seems extremely dependent on her to keep his army in check. Killing her now seems like a really stupid move on his part. Maybe I chose wrong?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Red Mundus posted:

Man the Royal blood quest is just brutal.

Act 2 Iorveth spoilers for Royal Blood

I honestly had no loving idea what to do with that quest. I accidentally talked to the wrong person which apparently screws you over into obtaining all the evidence.

Hell, my decision was based on complete speculation. I kind of wished CDProjekt gave you some wiggle room so I could at LEAST talk to the servant and hear his side. Overall though I chose Stennis. When he told me Saska was just common rabble and a peasant it kind of made me realize he was a douche and probably did her in so he wouldn't have to deal with her later on. Feels kind of out of character for him though as killing her AFTER the battle would probably be better and he seems extremely dependent on her to keep his army in check. Killing her now seems like a really stupid move on his part. Maybe I chose wrong?

If you would like to know what really happened:

Olcan, the priest that died in the beginning of the chapter, is the one that poisoned Saskia. He set the plan in motion before they left for the meeting with the Kaedwenis. However, he told Stennis everything. Stennis could've stopped it, but chose not to because he would ultimately benefit from her death.

That doesn't mean it's the "right" choice to let the peasants lynch him though. There's reasons to stop it even if he deserves to die. It's purely your decision.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm in chapter 2 trying to prove that the succubus didn't kill all those men (not that I particularly care if she did or not, the world's just a better place with her still alive). Iorveth says I need evidence, do I need to go back to the catacombs, or somewhere else? The only quest marker is on him.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm in chapter 2 trying to prove that the succubus didn't kill all those men (not that I particularly care if she did or not, the world's just a better place with her still alive). Iorveth says I need evidence, do I need to go back to the catacombs, or somewhere else? The only quest marker is on him.

Buy surgical tools from the mage vendor woman then go back to the corpse in the catacombs (examine his arms).

And there's really no clear "right" answer to the Royal Blood thing unless you already know what happens later in the third chapter. turns out there's no nuance to Stennis and he's as much of a dick as you were lead to believe. His refusal to give blood should've been a huge flag to me, but I defended his right to a trial anyway.

folgore fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 29, 2012

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Where do I "learn" about enemies? I picked up the quests on the notice board and it says to learn about them. Where is the library in Floatsam?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Where do I "learn" about enemies? I picked up the quests on the notice board and it says to learn about them. Where is the library in Floatsam?
There's a dwarf bookseller who sells the monster books. His house is near the dwarf blacksmith.

Edit: Also, note that when you read a monster book in your inventory, you'll only see the first paragraph of the text, and it's mostly just lore. After you "read" the book, go into your Knowledge screen to see the rest of it, where you'll find the combat tips and hints on completing contracts.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 29, 2012

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Capsaicin posted:

There's a book vendor who sells the books you want. He's right across from the dwarven smithy. Though if you don't want to drop the money on books, then you can just kill the monster in question until your quest updates (learning by doing, so to speak).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

folgore posted:

And there's really no clear "right" answer to the Royal Blood thing unless you already know what happens later in the third chapter. turns out there's no nuance to Stennis and he's as much of a dick as you were lead to believe. His refusal to give blood should've been a huge flag to me, but I defended his right to a trial anyway.
Personally, (spoilers for stuff later on in Chapter 2; don't read this, Red Mundus) I like stopping the lynching only because I really love tricking Henselt into giving you his blood.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 29, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lycus posted:

There's a dwarf bookseller who sells the monster books. His house is near the dwarf blacksmith.

Edit: Also, note that when you read a monster book in your inventory, you'll only see the first paragraph of the text, and it's mostly just lore. After you "read" the book, go into your Knowledge screen to see the rest of it, where you'll find the combat tips and hints on completing contracts.

Splitting this up was such a bad GUI decision. It's like, "Oh half the information is here with your journal, and then half the information is hidden behind your character upgrade screen. What?"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lycus posted:

If you would like to know what really happened:

Olcan, the priest that died in the beginning of the chapter, is the one that poisoned Saskia. He set the plan in motion before they left for the meeting with the Kaedwenis. However, he told Stennis everything. Stennis could've stopped it, but chose not to because he would ultimately benefit from her death.

That doesn't mean it's the "right" choice to let the peasants lynch him though. There's reasons to stop it even if he deserves to die. It's purely your decision.

What reason is there, if you don't mind me asking? Besides there being less of a squabble for who should be king or help lead the local armies

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Lycus posted:

Everything is automatically moved to the next chapter's storage chest.

gently caress REALLY?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

evilmiera posted:

What reason is there, if you don't mind me asking? Besides there being less of a squabble for who should be king or help lead the local armies
When I talked to the peasants, they made me really nervous. There was a strong implication that after unleashing their rage on Stennis and booting the nobles that, without Saskia's leadership, they would eventually turn on the non-humans. I figured that halting their bloodlust now would help keep things calmer in the long run. And the dwarves really just wanted the peace kept. My heart is with the dwarves first and foremost.

Also, Stennis alive leads to a more stable Aedirn, which is better for the upcoming war.

MC2552John posted:

gently caress REALLY?
Heh, you went back and picked up all your crap before moving on, didn't you?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 29, 2012

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Not sure If anyone else picked up on this Easter egg:

In the Prologue when you are sneaking out the prison, you pass a cell with 3 people in it and you can overhear their conversation. Apparently one of them had himself arrested on purpose to bail the other ones out prison break style. The only problem is he got whipped beforehand and the tattoo of the prison is totally unreadable.

That and the fact that the tattoo is on his arse.

Made me laugh.

Also, is there any way to turn of that drat smoke effect when drawing my Blasphemer blade ? I went through some heinous farming for that set and that effect is really annoying.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Another Easter Egg had an assassin from Assassin's Creed dead in a destroyed cart of hay. You also get an ability from it, "Assassin", I forget what it does though.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

PhantomZero posted:

Another Easter Egg had an assassin from Assassin's Creed dead in a destroyed cart of hay. You also get an ability from it, "Assassin", I forget what it does though.

It makes your backstabs better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In Witcher 1, is the choice of who you side with determined on your actions through the game, or is it just "I choose to side with the Squirrel/Order/Nobody" at some point?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

RBA Starblade posted:

In Witcher 1, is the choice of who you side with determined on your actions through the game, or is it just "I choose to side with the Squirrel/Order/Nobody" at some point?
It's a choice, two of them actually. At one point you have to choose to help one of the two factions, and later on you have a choice between either helping that faction again or going neutral.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hannibal Smith posted:

It's a choice, two of them actually. At one point you have to choose to help one of the two factions, and later on you have a choice between either helping that faction again or going neutral.

Thanks. I helped the Order take out the Scoi'tel in the swamp so I was curious how it handles things.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks. I helped the Order take out the Scoi'tel in the swamp so I was curious how it handles things.

Act 3 is where the path first begins to fork. You're not locked out of siding with either group just yet. That particular quest comes near the end of Act 3.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Kaal posted:

Splitting this up was such a bad GUI decision. It's like, "Oh half the information is here with your journal, and then half the information is hidden behind your character upgrade screen. What?"

There are a few things about this game that are just staggeringly perplexing from a game design point of view. I get that they were trying for some interesting narrative with your journal being written from Dandelion's perspective, but the monster books are another thing entirely. At the very least they could contain all of the info in the physical book and paraphrase it in your character sheet. But that still wouldn't fix the fact that the monster info is in your character bio and not your journal...

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
And then they release an expanded edition with all sorts of bugfixes, DLC and upgrades, but they're like "No, don't touch that, we like that just how it is. Get it? It's like an upgrade - of knowledge!"

It's a mystery man.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay, I'm fighting an Nilfgardian sorcerer in chapter 2 who is absolutely murdering me. His Quen is too strong. It goes down occasionally by itself for a second or so at a time but I don't think I can knock it down by myself. As a test I once threw ten bombs straight at him in a row, zero damage. I can dodge 9/10ths of his fireballs but even then I lose the war of attrition because I am doing so little damage to him. I haven't even gotten him below 50% yet (and I'm completely hopped up on potions + hanged man's venom), I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.

edit: also what is with the insane delay (sometimes about three seconds of Geralt standing perfectly still) between the time that you want to throw a bomb and the time it actually throws sometimes? Is it a bug, or some weird design decision?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 29, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: also what is with the insane delay (sometimes about three seconds of Geralt standing perfectly still) between the time that you want to throw a bomb and the time it actually throws sometimes? Is it a bug, or some weird design decision?

I kind of assumed it was some balance thing, otherwise they might be overpowered (or more overpowered than they are now - they're saving me in dark mode, although I'm using them less as I'm leveling up, but they were a huge help in the first chapter).

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009
This might be just because I got it to lvl 3, but aard knocks mages on their rear end all the time. Definitely my main tactic against them. I think it even knocks 'em down while their quen is up, but I may be misremembering.

Kinetic Tools fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kinetic Tools posted:

This might be just because I got it to lvl 3, but aard knocks mages on their rear end all the time. Definitely my main tactic against them. I think it even knocks 'em down while their quen is up, but I may be misremembering.
I believe it knocks them down, but Quen is still active so you won't do any damage anyway. Does Quen even weaken from bombs and knives? And how does it respond to magic?

There are only two or three enemies in the whole game who can use Quen anyway so I haven't studied its effects very well. All I know is that in that first fight with Letho he can be hitstunned while trying to cast Quen, but not this guy.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I believe it knocks them down, but Quen is still active so you won't do any damage anyway. Does Quen even weaken from bombs and knives? And how does it respond to magic?

There are only two or three enemies in the whole game who can use Quen anyway so I haven't studied its effects very well. All I know is that in that first fight with Letho he can be hitstunned while trying to cast Quen, but not this guy.

Pretty sure Letho isn't actually hurt by bombs when he has Quen up (it knocks his Quen out I believe though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So I loaded up this game for the first time, read the OP, played the tutorial, seemed to instantly get the hang of everything and felt pretty drat smug about it. At the end of the tutorial it says,"Now we'll bring in several waves of fighters, how many you are able to defeat will give you a recommended difficulty setting." No problem, I think, prepare myself and step into the red circle.

"We recommend EASY difficulty setting for you." :negative:

• Locked thread