Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

Kim Jong III posted:

I swear the Aeron I tried out had a piece of foam over the plastic edge at the front. This is really confusing me because I had a really basic Aeron at my last job and I remember having the same gripe as you. Did Herman Miller change something up or am I losing it :psyduck:

The Aerons we have at my office all have the hard plastic edge with no padding. This hasn't bothered me in anyway though and I love the chair. I suspect we have the basic models though being a government funded facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I wish I'd heard these posts last week, because I made my order on Tuesday :(

I posted this : http://imgur.com/a/O7Wov @ Mar 09, 2012

Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post401387116

Anyway, I'll recap, I did call them and I did get 'replacement parts' and those parts were not complete, it was missing the extra metal bearings. Hopefully you have better luck though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ILikeVoltron posted:

I posted this : http://imgur.com/a/O7Wov @ Mar 09, 2012

Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post401387116

Anyway, I'll recap, I did call them and I did get 'replacement parts' and those parts were not complete, it was missing the extra metal bearings. Hopefully you have better luck though.

They take a long time to ship. I ordered last Tuesday and after a week of not even receiving shipping info I emailed their warehouse manager and he said it was scheduled to ship next Tuesday. That kinda annoys me for a $90 shipping cost.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
$90 is really cheap and probably does not reflect any labor or markup.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

They take a long time to ship. I ordered last Tuesday and after a week of not even receiving shipping info I emailed their warehouse manager and he said it was scheduled to ship next Tuesday. That kinda annoys me for a $90 shipping cost.

Also note that they may be hauling your chair from Phoenix <-> Chicago then shipping.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My chair came. It looks like this:

I am so pissed off it is unbelievable.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

That's NOL's quality packing for you :v:

Sorry man :( Hopefully they can get it replaced for you without too much fuss.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my replacement gas cylinder. Time to go call & bug them again.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

My chair came. It looks like this:

Wow dude, sorry to hear it. I don't know why they don't understand that the chairs require slightly more packing material and tape than they are using.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ugh, that's awful. But I wouldn't blame the company that sold it to you completely - FedEx and UPS are loving brutal to chairs, they're responsible for about 75% of the warranty issues I deal with on my company's chairs.

That's actually another reason furniture dealers are so hesitant to deal with single-chair orders - the big orders of 100s of chairs at a time, where they make their real money, are shipped fully assembled on a freight truck instead of being bounced around in a box on a FedEx truck.

Not that that justifies anything. Both Kim Jong III and LeftistMuslimObama, call, email, bitch, complain, to anyone you can, and don't stop until you have tracking info for the part/new chair coming straight to you. If they have a warranty, by law, they have to get that stuff to you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
He called me back and said that he was sending another chair right away and having FedEx come to my office to box up and take away the broken one.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I want a chair that's as good for your back as an Aeron but more comfortable and reclinable. Does that exist?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How reclinable? The Aeron reclines.

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!
I'm thinking about getting a Steelcase Leap from these guys. That's generally considered a good choice for ergonomics/comfort, right?

If I end up going to buy one of these, what should I be checking on the chair/what questions should I be asking to make sure I'm not getting ripped off?

Also, I know with the Aeron there's a lot of optional additions/different models. Are there any optional features/extras that are must-have for a Leap, or is the basic model generally considered good enough?

Oh, also, how are the warranties on the Leaps? Are they transferrable? How long do they last?

chronofx fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 29, 2012

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Very good price for a Leap, but drat if that's not a loving ugly fabric on it. That's probably why they're trying to unload 150 of them.

I would check the sticker on the bottom of the chair to see its sold-on date. If it's more than 7 years old I'd be wary. Other than that just make sure all the adjustments work and it doesn't feel overly wobbly.

As for additional models, according to this this page, no -there's just the basic, a stool version, and a 500 pound fatty version.

I really doubt the warranty is transferable, don't bank on that at all.

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Very good price for a Leap, but drat if that's not a loving ugly fabric on it. That's probably why they're trying to unload 150 of them.

I would check the sticker on the bottom of the chair to see its sold-on date. If it's more than 7 years old I'd be wary. Other than that just make sure all the adjustments work and it doesn't feel overly wobbly.

As for additional models, according to this this page, no -there's just the basic, a stool version, and a 500 pound fatty version.

I really doubt the warranty is transferable, don't bank on that at all.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not too concerned about the ugly fabric; all I really care about are ergonomics & comfort. (But yes, it is loving ugly as hell, haha.)

The main complaint I have been reading about the Leap is that its bottom is really hard and ends up being really painful to sit on for prolonged periods of time. Can anyone confirm/deny this? This was my biggest complaint with my last desk chair; after an hour or two of sitting on it, it felt like I was sitting on a park bench, not an office chair (even with 5-10 minute breaks every hour or so). My current chair has a very comfortable bottom, but it's not ergonomic at ALL and doesn't have a full back.

I read one review of the leap which said the leather version is a lot more comfortable for prolonged sitting, but obviously I'm not going to find one of those for $200.

chronofx fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 30, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love my Leap and sit on it all day. I like it way more than the Aeron.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

chronofx posted:

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not too concerned about the ugly fabric; all I really care about are ergonomics & comfort. (But yes, it is loving ugly as hell, haha.)

The main complaint I have been reading about the Leap is that its bottom is really hard and ends up being really painful to sit on for prolonged periods of time. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Deny. Whoever's saying that is full of poo poo.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I love my Leap and sit on it all day. I like it way more than the Aeron.

Had the choice of these two at work: Leap is more comfortable.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Echoing everyone else - I had a nasty time with the Aeron making my legs fall asleep. The Leap v2 I've been sitting on has been the most comfortable of the two, and I've been sitting on it way lower than I wanted. I just got my replacement gas cylinder in today... I can't imagine how much I will love this chair when I get it adjusted the way I want it.

One more thing to look at is the rubber arm-rests. On my chair they seem to get snags & tears really easily, and Steelcase charges something like $60 for new ones. So be sure you get a chair with two good arm rests, and be sure to treat them gently or else you'll be painting them with clear nail polish like me :downs:

Forget about the warranty, it is completely non-transferable. Be sure you trust that company to fix any problems you might have, because parts can be expensive - gas cylinder is $130, a base is $150...

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Thirding - just had a chance to sit in the Leap today, and it was miles above any of the HM chairs I've sat in, including the Mirra, Aeron, Embody, and Sayl. I was all ready to plunk down a grand on the Embody until I sat in it.

Called up NOL to order one (the place I tried them at only had celery green), but they wanted $200 for shipping to washington state...

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

rawrr posted:

Thirding - just had a chance to sit in the Leap today, and it was miles above any of the HM chairs I've sat in, including the Mirra, Aeron, Embody, and Sayl. I was all ready to plunk down a grand on the Embody until I sat in it.

Called up NOL to order one (the place I tried them at only had celery green), but they wanted $200 for shipping to washington state...

If you're in the Seattle area I do see Leaps popping up on Craigslist pretty regularly.

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hmm, apparently they are from 2005, so just about 7 years old on the dot. According to the company selling them, "They are in good original condition. 2005 . We clean them up and test them."

I suppose I'll have to drive up there and see for myself (1.5 hour drive each way, so kind of a pain, but oh well!). They also have a brown alternative which looks significantly less horrible

chronofx fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 1, 2012

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

chronofx posted:

Hmm, apparently they are from 2005, so just about 7 years old on the dot. According to the company selling them, "They are in good original condition. 2005 . We clean them up and test them."
Warranties usually last 10 or 12 years, which are a good indication of the life of the chair. I'm not saying it'll be busted up and fall apart on you immediately, but just be aware you're getting a chair that may give out a lot sooner than a new one - 3-5 years maybe. It's like buying a 10+ year old used car over a new one.

Still a good deal for $200. Go for it.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 1, 2012

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I put together a spreadsheet for those of you who may also be looking for the Steelcase Leap. Focused on the V2s in black fabric.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AoF6EYaH0J8-dHZKX0lkaTBITnBHeElvSWRDN1ExaXc&single=true&gid=1&output=html

Cheapest for a V2 seem to be $500, and $400 for V1.

NOL might turn out to be cheaper depending on where you are located.

Maneki Neko posted:

If you're in the Seattle area I do see Leaps popping up on Craigslist pretty regularly.

Thanks, but I'm not unfortunately. I live in Vancouver and drive down to the border to pick up packages from places that don't ship to Canada.

rawrr fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 2, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

chronofx posted:

I suppose I'll have to drive up there and see for myself (1.5 hour drive each way, so kind of a pain, but oh well!). They also have a brown alternative which looks significantly less horrible

Tell them you'll give them $150 for the one with the ugly fabric :cool:

Just be specific about "good original condition" and what they mean when they say "they test them". I mean you're buying a 7 year old chair so it'll have scratches & might be a bit worn, but be sure "good original condition" doesn't mean tears on the fabric or arm rests held together with tape. But $200 is pretty drat good.

rawrr - I'm not sure if this really correlates, but I wonder if a platinum frame implies the base is aluminum & a black frame means the base is plastic. This might be something else to think about, durability-wise.

I just spent five minutes hammering on my aluminum base because I thought part of the old gas cylinder was stuck. I finally realized that I just needed to remove the outer housing on the new gas cylinder & it would slide right in. Whoops :downs:

My only complaint now is the armrests. Does anyone have a suggestion for something I can put over the armrests to keep them from peeling any worse than they already are? Any gel armrest covers that don't suck & actually fit?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Wrap them in leather the way you'd do a steering wheel, ie laced underneath. Probably could even use a steering wheel wrap, cut up. Get one for a thick steering wheel.

Leather armrests rule.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kim Jong III posted:

rawrr - I'm not sure if this really correlates, but I wonder if a platinum frame implies the base is aluminum & a black frame means the base is plastic. This might be something else to think about, durability-wise.

My only complaint now is the armrests. Does anyone have a suggestion for something I can put over the armrests to keep them from peeling any worse than they already are? Any gel armrest covers that don't suck & actually fit?
On the plastic base - most "plastic" bases are actually hard nylon, which is very, very durable. The only time I've seen one break is when a chair is directly dropped on a caster (wheel) and the hole where the caster goes in broke. The rest of your chair should fall apart long before the nylon base does. Not that aluminum is bad - it's also very, very durable - but if you're going for durability, one over the other isn't a crucial choice.

As for armrests, you may be able to order replacement arm pads from someone who sells the brand of chair you own. Some companies sell them cheaply, but others gouge you for them. Either way, worth looking into at least.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Ended up buying a V1 Leap with polished aluminum frame and tired, ugly yellow coloured Coach leather for $400. Checked with my local Steelcase dealer, and I could always get it reupholstered for $200ish in fabric, which is what I'll do if the leather ends up looking too tacky or being too slippery.

edit: incidentally, does anyone with a leap have a lumbar band that they don't use and would like to sell? Apparently they detach if you position them as high as they go.

rawrr fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 3, 2012

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

If you're considering between a Leap and an Embody, try them both first. I switched from an Aeron to an Embody and I find the Embody to be way better in every way. I've also tried one of the Leaps at work, and while it's a decent chair, I much prefer the Embody.

It's definitely personal preference, so try them both.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The Leap felt waay better for me vs the Embody, which sucked, because the Embody looks badass, while the leap looks really boring and utilitarian - I wanted the embody to work really badly.

I have issues with my lower back, and the leap was the only one the provide the amount of adjustability and support I needed.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Stupid question, but is the only way to order from NOL is via phone?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Yep. Just have the item number handy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

titaniumone posted:

If you're considering between a Leap and an Embody, try them both first. I switched from an Aeron to an Embody and I find the Embody to be way better in every way. I've also tried one of the Leaps at work, and while it's a decent chair, I much prefer the Embody.

It's definitely personal preference, so try them both.
Well, the Embody is also around double the price. Keep that in mind.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Leaps go for around $900 while the Embody is $1200

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
To be fair, it's quite easy to find refurbished Leaps at roughly half price, whereas with embody you pretty much have to buy new.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

1200 MSRP, which you won't pay unless you're being gouged. I paid $950 for mine, fully loaded, with the 'upgraded' fabric.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Just picked up a Highmark Sprint Plush, minus the arms, at Goodwill. $7. Goodbye rocking chair!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

rawrr posted:

To be fair, it's quite easy to find refurbished Leaps at roughly half price, whereas with embody you pretty much have to buy new.
What rawrr said - I was confusing the refurbished price with the new price of a Leap. Still quite a bit more expensive.

icehewk posted:

Just picked up a Highmark Sprint Plush, minus the arms, at Goodwill. $7. Goodbye rocking chair!

Nice find! I've never seen a decent office chair at goodwill, much less one for $7.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Pendragon posted:

I would look at the office chair continuum like this:

There's little to argue with regard to high end chairs being better than no-name big box stuff, but at the top of the scale, it pays to sit in each of them because it is often a personal choice. For example, I have an Aeron at work and a Mirra at home, and I prefer the Mirra by and order of magnitude. That's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I like the Freedom chair's headrest, specifically how it keeps its angle while you recline. I'm not sure I love the rest of the chair, though. Are there other chairs that have the same head rest feature?