Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Trees and Squids posted:

I also didn't realize it was a double album til' now, good poo poo.

gently caress yeah. The other day I was even wondering what the hell was taking so long - best explanation ever. I take they're playing some new stuff on the tour?

e: "March To the Sea"? My balls are not prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Crimson Sox posted:

Ex-members of Isis (minus Aaron Turner) and Chino Moreno (Deftones) forming a band named Palms

Pretty excited about this.

Wicked. Everyone should check out Aaron Turner's (and some members of Circle I think) new stuff Split Cranium on bandcamp as well.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

bleedbackwards posted:

If anyone's into dISEMBOWELMENT or death/doom in general, some previous members are now in a band called Inverloch that is pretty awesome and basically sounds like a continuation of where they left off.

dISEMBOWLMENT are one of my favorite doom bands. Will def be checking this out. Thank you for.posting it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Speaking of death/doom, I've really been digging Anhedonist's debut, Netherwards. Goes really well with Pallbearer, although they're straight-up doom.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

nuncle jimbo posted:

gently caress yeah. The other day I was even wondering what the hell was taking so long - best explanation ever. I take they're playing some new stuff on the tour?

e: "March To the Sea"? My balls are not prepared.

The first time I read that as March Into The Sea and my head nearly exploded from the idea of a Baroness Pelican cover.

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim
The Pelican song IS called March to the Sea.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

dISEMBOWLMENT are one of my favorite doom bands. Will def be checking this out. Thank you for.posting it.

The Inverloch EP is really good. Obviously it doesn't quite touch Transcendence into the Peripheral, but it is still enjoyable. I saw them live recently, and I am 100% sure that it is one of the most heavy and despondent live shows I have ever seen. Totally draining. They played all of TitP as well as all of the new EP. It was a shame that the venue was half empty, but it didn't stop it from feeling like a very special show.

RE: Baroness, I can't wait for Yellow/Green, that song sounded fantastic.

RE: Anhedonist, Pallbearer's album is probably my album of the year at the moment, so I will be sure to check that out.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Crimson Sox posted:

Ex-members of Isis (minus Aaron Turner) and Chino Moreno (Deftones) forming a band named Palms

Pretty excited about this.

Woah, that could be pretty cool

Also that Baroness cover art is rad. I love Baizley's stuff so much

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cceabO9rWLw

Here's a clip from a gig we (Solstorm) did. Me on the far right.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
What do people here think of Wreck and Reference? They're a doom/doomgaze/drone whatever you want to call it group from the US. All of their instrumentation is digital. Initially I had written them off as needlessly pretentious, as often the effects they use sound pretty drat close to a guitar anyway, so why not just use one? but since the release of their latest album, No Youth, they have started to grow on me.

They have been pretty well received critically (so far as I can tell), so I was just wondering, am I the only one missing out on what makes these guys so special?

Those who have listened, what do you think?

Those who are interested in checking them out can download their releases for free from Bandcamp

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.

Mindfish posted:

The Pelican song IS called March to the Sea.

Actually, it's called March to the Sea AND March Into the Sea. One of them is the 20-minute single version, the other is the 12-minute album version. Can't remember which is which though.

Either way, seriously hoping Baroness cover it. They won't, but a man can dream.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

degauss posted:

Actually, it's called March to the Sea AND March Into the Sea. One of them is the 20-minute single version, the other is the 12-minute album version. Can't remember which is which though.

Either way, seriously hoping Baroness cover it. They won't, but a man can dream.

The single version is "March Into the Sea".

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

nomapple posted:

What do people here think of Wreck and Reference? They're a doom/doomgaze/drone whatever you want to call it group from the US. All of their instrumentation is digital. Initially I had written them off as needlessly pretentious, as often the effects they use sound pretty drat close to a guitar anyway, so why not just use one? but since the release of their latest album, No Youth, they have started to grow on me.

They have been pretty well received critically (so far as I can tell), so I was just wondering, am I the only one missing out on what makes these guys so special?

Those who have listened, what do you think?

Those who are interested in checking them out can download their releases for free from Bandcamp

I'm not exactly sure just what this is, but I'm enjoying it. Thanks for the heads-up!

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

degauss posted:

Yea, that's the one I was thinking of. I haven't listened to The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw in too long. I think it's time to go remedy that.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
The new 16 album is seriously loving fantastic

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Seems like Southern Lord started shipping the Dopesmoker CDs. :getin:

And I'll see them live for the first time next tuesday. Life is good.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Old Man Gloom are loving back

Facebook page posted:

Old Man Gloom have made a new album. It's called "NO". If you want it soon, you'll have to go see Old Man Gloom on their tour that starts tomorrow (May 2, 2012) at TT the Bears in Boston. Otherwise you'll have to wait til the official release date: June 26th. Below is a pretty picture of the album cover. (For those in Boston here's a little tip: the May 3rd show is sold out, so if you don't have a ticket yet your best bet is the aforementioned show at TT's on the 2nd).

Super psyched for this.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Hey guys, friend of mine finished his project Compel and has a Bandcamp link that I feel (ahem) compelled to share with the sludge/doom thread. Dunno if he's a goon but who cares, it's good poo poo.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Got my ticket for the June 3rd Sleep show in Seattle. They killed in Portland in 2010, so I'm interested to see if they've improved since then.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Chart needs to be scanned and put in OP ASAP.

I wonder if this is the one? Someone on Youtube posted this as a comment on one of my Sleep bass cover videos, and it seems to be the real deal:

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
The Heavy Eyes just posted some new stuff http://theheavyeyesmemphis.bandcamp.com/album/2 .

Juaguocio posted:

I wonder if this is the one? Someone on Youtube posted this as a comment on one of my Sleep bass cover videos, and it seems to be the real deal:

This was posted on the Southern Lord twitter account not long ago:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Crimson Sox posted:

Super psyched for this.

That is amazing news. Hard to believe it's been eight goddamn years since Christmas. Wow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Metanaut posted:

Seems like Southern Lord started shipping the Dopesmoker CDs. :getin:

And I'll see them live for the first time next tuesday. Life is good.

Seeing them twice this year, it's mindblowing.

Who does Morris refer to in that riff chart?

MrSlug
Nov 23, 2004

Crimson Sox posted:

Super psyched for this.

Seeing them in CT on 5/7 - cannot wait.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Fan filmed footage of another new Baroness song "March to the Sea"

So stoked on this album.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Ugh, sounds so good!! One of these days I should try and get my picture with Mr. Baizley, we practically look like twins.

EDIT - God drat, Take my Bones away sounds amazing as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSN_IBYr540
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSN_IBYr540

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 2, 2012

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

That song sounds awesome, but I am bummed. They came right through my town and I didn't even know.

What a terrible fan I am.

Ignatius-J-R
Feb 18, 2003

Credo quia absurdum est.
I was happy to find this thread after recently discovering Conan - Monnos while browsing around Pitchfork. It seems I've found quite an affinity for this sound. Will be hoping to discover more like Conan. Suggestions?

Question Stoner/Doom/Sludge goons- Where does Wolves in the Throne Room fit into the metal pantheon?

Ignatius-J-R fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 3, 2012

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Ignatius-J-R posted:

I was happy to find this thread after recently discovering Conan - Monnos while browsing around Pitchfork. It seems I've found quite an affinity for this sound. Will be hoping to discover more like Conan. Suggestions?

Question Stoner/Doom/Sludge goons- Where does Wolves in the Throne Room fit into the metal pantheon?

Atmospheric black metal

Check out Ritual Abuse by Cough. Slow and crushing doom.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Ignatius-J-R posted:

Not in this thread, but atmospheric black metal.

Ignatius-J-R
Feb 18, 2003

Credo quia absurdum est.

nerve posted:

Atmospheric black metal

Thanks mate. I thought not on Wolves, but didn't realize until after I asked there were lots of metal threads. I'm returning to metal after awhile away and discovering things have sure changed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wolves in the Throne Room's Two Hunters is an absolute beast of an album that every metal fan should check out.

Juaguocio posted:

Dude, are you thirdwheel on YT? 'Cos your videos rock, I sent them to my bass playing friend, he loves them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

nerve posted:

Seconding this. Crazy album. You might also check out The Wounded Kings - In the Chapel of the Black Hand for something a little less sludgy.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Ignatius-J-R posted:

If you haven't already, give Dopesmoker by Sleep a listen. Also check out the bands formed by their previous members - Surrounded by Thieves by High on Fire and Pilgrimage by Om are great examples of the sound.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wolves in the Throne Room's Two Hunters is an absolute beast of an album that every metal fan should check out.

Furthermore, "I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots" is one of my favorite metal songs.

Again, wrong thread. But. Still.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Baroness Yellow & Green pre-order now available - http://www.relapse.com/baroness-yellow-green

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
My CD copy of Dopesmoker came in today. This thing is loving gorgeous. If you haven't picked up the album you really should. I'm not into collecting vinyl, but this CD had just as much love poured into it as the LPs did. The packaging has some nice embossing on the figures in the cover art and the inside of the album is a picture of the same setting but done at night. The insert has the riff chart Astrotrain posted earlier with a neat photo of the band on the reverse side.

I'm also pleased as punch with the shirt I got with it, but the poster was regrettably folded and creased due to being mailed in a small package. Still though, this was a great buy and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's even remotely into stoner metal.

Oh, and I guess the music's pretty good too :rolleye: It sucks that Sonic Titan never got a studio version released, but the live recording of Holy Mountain is fantastic.

Geddy Krueger fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 3, 2012

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How's the new mix?

quote:

ETA: I forgot to mention that the riff chart is on the back of the shirt
\/\/\/

:allears:

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 4, 2012

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
The bass sounds slightly more prominent and everything sounds a bit sharper and clearer, but other than that they didn't gently caress with it too much. This one definitely strikes me as being louder though, which is always a good thing. The spacey solo at ~39 minutes in sounds incredible.

ETA: I forgot to mention that the riff chart is on the back of the shirt

Geddy Krueger fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 4, 2012

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I got my copy today as well. It sounds great, a little more blown out (especially on the drums) than the 2003 version IMO. You can hear some odd details (maybe studio artifacts) on good headphones

Shirt + digipak both own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Whoa, can't believe I've missed this thread until now. Saw Weedeater two weeks ago at a local venue. Absolutely AMAZING show, Dave's an amazing showman. If you ever get the chance to see them, don't pass it up. ASG also played and were great.