Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

QPZIL posted:

edit2-- There's the following listing on Craigslist for $500: Hasselblad 500C + CZ 80mm 2.8 + waistlevel finder, prism finder, pistol grip, polaroid back, cable release and film. Is that a decent deal? Is the C much worse than the CM?
In working order it would have been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
This is probably an absurdly long shot but I know there are at least another couple of Scottish photo-goons out there, does anyone know somewhere to get film developed quickly in Edinburgh. It's been ages since I last had a roll of film needing processed and pretty much everywhere I knew has stopped doing it or now send it off to somewhere else resulting in about a five day wait.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
I haven't been in either of them in a while but there is a Jessops and a Jacob's pretty much opposite each other on Shandwick Place. I'm pretty sure Jacob's still does in house processing.

edit: Failing that, Boots used to do it as well.

big cheese fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 26, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

bigger Boots stores will do 1 hour processing of c-41 film

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

big cheese posted:

I haven't been in either of them in a while but there is a Jessops and a Jacob's pretty much opposite each other on Shandwick Place. I'm pretty sure Jacob's still does in house processing.

edit: Failing that, Boots used to do it as well.

:doh:

Of course, don't know why I didn't think of Jessops or Jacob's, only about ten minutes from my flat too...

I did try asking at boots when I was picking up some cheap film to use as a test roll and they told me all boots photo-processing had been moved off site, don't know if they've still got a few larger stores with labs.

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 26, 2012

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Can anyone recommend me a good guide to constructing a pinhole-camera? (besides "find a box, make a hole)

I want to use a sheet of photo-paper for a negative, and I'm not sure what dimensions the box need.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Prathm posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good guide to constructing a pinhole-camera? (besides "find a box, make a hole)

I want to use a sheet of photo-paper for a negative, and I'm not sure what dimensions the box need.

I assume it is somewhat more complicated than that and when doing it entirely yourself everything depends on your ability to accurately create a pinhole to your chosen size.

http://pinhole.stanford.edu/pinholemath.htm

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Prathm posted:

I have recently made a pinhole camera from wood myself, it works okay so I guess I can give you some pointers. First of all there's a useful calculator at Mr. Pinhole that'll help you determine pinhole size, focal length, f-stop and other variables. Highly recommended.

To get an idea of the size of the pinhole there's two ways that'll work. One is to use your flatbed or film scanner and scan it. Be careful not to scratch the glass. Or shine a flashlight trough it and measure distance to your wall. Flashlight to pinhole and projection diameter. Use some basic trig.

For the pinhole you want a really thin metal. A beer can works, thinner would be preferable. Use some very fine grit paper to sand down the burr after pushing trough the pinhole. It distorts and vignettes otherwise.

Then probably not as crucial for paper film (I made a 35mm winding camera) is to paint the interior black entirely. Use a matte paint or felt marker. You really want to keep the stray light close to nil.

Then one last thing that happened to me was that I didn't drill the wood hole wide enough for the pinhole. Even 8mm was not enough - the camera "saw" itself. Yeah I went kind of wide.

I'm on my way to work now otherwise I'd post some examples. Maybe later.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Given the choice between an Intuos 5 or Intuous 4 for $200~ cheaper, what would you choose?

I'm heavily leaning towards the 4 because of the oled keys and price difference, but the touch capability seems like it'd be nice to have to avoid switching bac and forth.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I'd go for the 4. I still use a bamboo though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Shmoogy posted:

Given the choice between an Intuos 5 or Intuous 4 for $200~ cheaper, what would you choose?

I'm heavily leaning towards the 4 because of the oled keys and price difference, but the touch capability seems like it'd be nice to have to avoid switching bac and forth.

I have a Bamboo Touch and I never use the multitouch.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

8th-samurai posted:

I have a Bamboo Touch and I never use the multitouch.

Same.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
So I've been looking through Dorkroom and figured this was the best place to post this.

I'm looking for a medium/advanced book on post-processing in Lightroom 4. I've used Lightroom (2, 3) in the past, but only for basic workflow, up to maybe using masks a few times.

Would something like the Adobe Lightroom 4 Classroom in a Book be worthwhile? http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321819578

Or Lightroom 4: The Complete Guide for Beginners
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321819594

Be a better idea?
Thanks!

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Just Another XY posted:

So I've been looking through Dorkroom and figured this was the best place to post this.

I'm looking for a medium/advanced book on post-processing in Lightroom 4. I've used Lightroom (2, 3) in the past, but only for basic workflow, up to maybe using masks a few times.

Would something like the Adobe Lightroom 4 Classroom in a Book be worthwhile? http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321819578

Or Lightroom 4: The Complete Guide for Beginners
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321819594

Be a better idea?
Thanks!

Martin Evening's LR and PS books are the best I have ever read. There is a new iteration out for LR4: http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-Book-Photographers/dp/0321819594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335706360&sr=8-1

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Just Another XY posted:

While I hate to agree with Skeletor, I'm with joelcamefalling.

Adobe's Classroom in a Book series is usually good, but they're typically more structured (what with the whole classroom in a book thing). In most of the titles, it's also expected that you'll work through tutorial files to get hands-on experience. I can't speak to the LR4 CIAB as they're apparently such a desirable theft item that Barnes & Noble now only puts empty cardboard boxes on display.

If you want something more amenable to jumping around, Evening's books tend to be chunked into tasks and tend not to assume you've read every preceding page. They're also illustrated extremely well, and they're a lot more about the universal why than a how specific to one example situation. If you want The One True Recipe, you might find his generalities frustrating.

Just about any decently-stocked bookstore will have both, so go flip through them if there's any question about which you might prefer. (Local Classroom in a Book theft rings notwithstanding.)

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah, I came across Evening's book recently, but wasn't aware a LR4 version had been released. Cool, thanks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I was checking out one of the local industrial ruins around here today. Thanks to the sunny weather, it was to be expected to run into other photographers. Naturally, we had to run into a bunch of erotic photographers. Again. Not that I mind nude or skimpy women, but it seems like at least 4 of 5 times, it's always one young girl with two old grey men. Is that some universal rule that I don't know about?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Some girls look pretty nice, and some people want to shoot them.

You could get mad or talk about it, but it'd only be a waste of your own time (so don't).

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Combat Pretzel posted:

it's always one young girl with two old grey men. Is that some universal rule that I don't know about?

Yes. You're only allowed to shoot erotic photos of young girls if you're a licensed Dirty Old Man with a photography rating. The kicker is that having a peeping tom rating allows you to do photography only if the "model" is unaware and guys will try and stretch that rating out all sorts of ways.

Best bet, spend the $50, take the 2 hour course, and get your photography rating.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
There was a pretty creepy dude in town when I first started going to art school. He was in his forties, worked in a deli near the college, and was well known for trying to recruit every new freshman girl who came in for a sandwich. Especially if they looked kinda gothy. Come on by later, it'll just be some "tasteful" modeling, you'll make some cash for art supplies, why not?

Except that usually turned pretty quickly towards full nudity and hardcore fetish stuff. By that point he was usually loving his models too. One of my friends ended up in that arrangement for quite awhile, with a great deal of drama involved, and my roommates kept inviting him over to our apartment to share stories about it because they thought "Sketchy Dan" was cool and edgy.

so uh yeah there's that

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Hey, if it works for Terry Richardson, why knock it?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm looking for an online service that I can upload my photos to (I usually shoot in RAW) for storage primarily but also the ability to make galleries to share with select people (don't want any photos public). Will Flickr do all of this? Or is there a better solution?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
With SmugMug, you can password-protect galleries and/or make them publicly unlisted and only accessible by direct link.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Red_Fred posted:

I'm looking for an online service that I can upload my photos to (I usually shoot in RAW) for storage primarily but also the ability to make galleries to share with select people (don't want any photos public). Will Flickr do all of this? Or is there a better solution?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

If you're willing to pay for online hosting you should get your own webspace and host there. You can make galleries with Lightroom and set a PW on it via cpanel or whatever. I suggest this since you want it for storage (I have like 4 gigs uploaded on my server). I use BounceWeb personally. Their support is awesome and they are goon-run I think. It also helps when you buy your domain name that you'll have a more official looking e-mail address as well.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Oprah Haza posted:

If you're willing to pay for online hosting you should get your own webspace and host there. You can make galleries with Lightroom and set a PW on it via cpanel or whatever. I suggest this since you want it for storage (I have like 4 gigs uploaded on my server). I use BounceWeb personally. Their support is awesome and they are goon-run I think. It also helps when you buy your domain name that you'll have a more official looking e-mail address as well.

Oh I should have mentioned this is not at all for professional use. Basically I want to combine my backups with a gallery system as putting photos on FB just really feels lame. I will look in to SmugMug though. Does Google Drive have any sort of gallery options?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'm looking to start getting some photobooks done, for both personal use and for selling to potential clients in the future. Does anyone have any suggestions on great companies they've worked with in the past? Ideally I'd like a Canadian company, specifically around Calgary if possible, but I'd be comfortable ordering online if the reputation is good.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Red_Fred posted:

Oh I should have mentioned this is not at all for professional use. Basically I want to combine my backups with a gallery system as putting photos on FB just really feels lame. I will look in to SmugMug though. Does Google Drive have any sort of gallery options?

SmugMug stores your large JPEGs not your RAWs unless you get SmugVault (http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93382). But it is a great service and I really like it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I looked in to SmugVault and it seems like a great package and $60 a year isn't much money for the added security they provide.

One more question though. Is there a better alternative to Picasa? I don't really use the editing functions more just the organisation. Cheap would be preferable.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Red_Fred posted:

I looked in to SmugVault and it seems like a great package and $60 a year isn't much money for the added security they provide.

One more question though. Is there a better alternative to Picasa? I don't really use the editing functions more just the organisation. Cheap would be preferable.

I found a coupon for Bounceweb: "saftw50" for 50% off. I get a year of hosting for 46$.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

CarrotFlowers posted:

I'm looking to start getting some photobooks done, for both personal use and for selling to potential clients in the future. Does anyone have any suggestions on great companies they've worked with in the past? Ideally I'd like a Canadian company, specifically around Calgary if possible, but I'd be comfortable ordering online if the reputation is good.

I can't tell you about the final product, but I spent most of yesterday afternoon attempting to create photobooks on various websites (snapfish, bonusprint, one or two others) and by far the easiest to use that let you customise things the most, while still being web-based was http://www.mixbook.com/

Price was pretty reasonable compared to the other sites too. You'll need to wait about four weeks to find out if the end result is any good though.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

David Pratt posted:

I can't tell you about the final product, but I spent most of yesterday afternoon attempting to create photobooks on various websites (snapfish, bonusprint, one or two others) and by far the easiest to use that let you customise things the most, while still being web-based was http://www.mixbook.com/

Price was pretty reasonable compared to the other sites too. You'll need to wait about four weeks to find out if the end result is any good though.

Yeah mixbook was one I was looking into, so I'll be interested to hear the results. I do feel that their templates were really geared toward family pictures though. I think I need to take a closer look.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Some of my friends were pretty happy with Lulu's books, they used 'em for thesis books. Prices seemed fairly reasonable to me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So who else hates the new flickr uploader with a passion?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

HookShot posted:

Hasn't it been the same for a while?

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.

QPZIL posted:

I read recently that they updated it to compete with 500px. I only ever upload through the Lightroom Flickr widget thing so I haven't seen it myself yet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

QPZIL posted:

Oh, maybe. Mine just changed the other day to one where you can click and drag your files, mass edit and stuff. It would be pretty cool if it worked at all and wasn't buggy as all poo poo.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HookShot posted:

Haha you use the webpage?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ok, colour management question.

If most of my stuff is going on the web, is it worth shooting and working purely in sRGB? To make allowances for people who don't have colour managed browser? I am kinda fed up of having stuff look great when I'm working on it and then exported it to jpeg and the colours are all way saturated.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Alctel posted:

I am kinda fed up of having stuff look great when I'm working on it and then exported it to jpeg and the colours are all way saturated.

That should not be happening if you're doing it correctly. Working within a color managed application and converting to the target space (sRGB in this case), your output should still be great.

On the other hand, if everything's going straight to the web or the drugstore minilab, then yes, you can cut out a step by just working in sRGB from start to finish. You'll be sad if you ever want to make really nice prints, but if that's not in the cards, don't sweat it. As long as you've got the raws you can always start over on the stuff you really care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Molten Llama posted:

That should not be happening if you're doing it correctly. Working within a color managed application and converting to the target space (sRGB in this case), your output should still be great.

On the other hand, if everything's going straight to the web or the drugstore minilab, then yes, you can cut out a step by just working in sRGB from start to finish. You'll be sad if you ever want to make really nice prints, but if that's not in the cards, don't sweat it. As long as you've got the raws you can always start over on the stuff you really care about.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong then? :(

I have a spyder 3 and my screen is calibrated