Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I'll always remember 300 as that movie that revolutionized making films accessible to the blind. I've never seen a movie with so much narration in it before, that explains everything the audience is seeing.
Really? You must not watch very many movies then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, comic books have narration like that, and it was emulating the comic like crazy. Also I often wonder how long the movie would be if you sped up all the slow motion parts to normal speed, about 30 minutes long I bet.

300 should have just stayed a graphic novel. I hope someone who made decisions at Warner Brothers, had a really hard time justifying turning it into a movie. The dollar signs were obviously what pushed it into getting approved. They took the most uncreative, and lazy path they could to adapting it to film.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Really? You must not watch very many movies then.

You're probably thinking of exposition, which is not the samething. Although I can't really begin to guess what you might have meant by this. Logical thinking must not be a strong skill of yours.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 30, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh god I am (was?) excited about God of War Multiplayer but watching a little gameplay vid and it's GROSS!

I'm not sure I'm down with more eyeball hooking.
:\

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I said come in! posted:

You're probably thinking of exposition, which is not the samething. Although I can't really begin to guess what you might have meant by this. Logical thinking must not be a strong skill of yours.
Wow, you took this personally. Sorry if it hit a nerve or something. The point is that there are a ton of movies out there with narration, even going so far as to "explain everything the audience is seeing."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Wow, you took this personally. Sorry if it hit a nerve or something. The point is that there are a ton of movies out there with narration, even going so far as to "explain everything the audience is seeing."

You're using tired, overused logical fallacy to make a point. That poo poo is annoying. I've seen a "ton" of movies with narration, but I can't recall any where it's used for virtually the whole film. Perhaps if you listed a couple? Is that something you can do?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

300 should have just stayed a graphic novel. I hope someone who made decisions at Warner Brothers, had a really hard time justifying turning it into a movie. The dollar signs were obviously what pushed it into getting approved. They took the most uncreative, and lazy path they could to adapting it to film.

Not to get too CineD or anything, but it's hard to imagine combining lazy with 300. Especially coming off of the recent trend to grounding everything and making them more accessible (ala successfully de-yellowing and de-spandexing of X-Men to make them more acceptable), making a movie about shirtless homoeroticism is a pretty big gamble considering Sin City didn't break $100 mil and it had stars and directors that people recognized. I can't say I see where you think these dollar signs were going to come from a movie headlined by a hard to recognize Gerard Butler (you know, that guy from Timeline and second fiddle in the second Tomb Raider movie) and a giant gold encrusted RuPaul.

It's not a great movie but I wouldn't call it lazy. It was a better than decent literal translation of a graphic novel and led to us getting Watchmen. That's cool in my book.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 30, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The only big problem I have with 300 is the scenes back home with what's her name, THAT is what they did to try to couch the movie for a broader audience, and it was awful.

plus it makes for the most enjoyable drinking game I have ever played, every time someone says "SPARTA!!" or any variation thereof.

edit: wait hold on, that movie was already about 3/4 of the way to being a video game already graphically, why did no one make a game of it?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 30, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

You're using tired, overused logical fallacy to make a point. That poo poo is annoying. I've seen a "ton" of movies with narration, but I can't recall any where it's used for virtually the whole film. Perhaps if you listed a couple? Is that something you can do?

Not movies, but Dexter and Burn Notice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ape Agitator posted:

It's not a great movie but I wouldn't call it lazy. It was a better than decent literal translation of a graphic novel and led to us getting Watchmen. That's cool in my book.

I guess I see your point that making it a very literal translation doesn't necessarily make it a lazy movie. There were parts about it, like the artistic style used (the coloring choice), that I really liked. I do agree with you that it bringing us Watchmen was a nice pay off. That was a good movie in my opinion.

Anyways, PS3 games thread, we should probably get back on track.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Aphrodite posted:

Not movies, but Dexter and Burn Notice.

I would play the poo poo out of a Burn Notice game. Make it like the new Bond games where stealth is an objective, but just killing the gently caress out of everyone is easier, faster, and more likely to let you succeed at your objective.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

bbcisdabomb posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a Burn Notice game. Make it like the new Bond games where stealth is an objective, but just killing the gently caress out of everyone is easier, faster, and more likely to let you succeed at your objective.

The best Burn Notice game would be to take Dead Rising 2's workbench and just explode the hell out of it. Just litter every level with a metric ton of random stuff and a million hidden recipes to put things together with. Then drop Michael at point A and tell him to get to point B.

Oh, and make a bonus mode with a skin change to Fiona where all you get is C4 and a shotgun and every time you shoot a guy an annoyed voice clip of Michael goes "Fiona..:sigh:"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not really related, but I still want a Breaking Bad/Cooking Mama cross over.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Policenaut posted:

Oh god, yeah. Having done both, UC1 Crushing is just irritating compared to the sheer hellscape that is WaW's campaign on Veteran. The Reichstag stage is enough to give me horrible game PTSD just thinking about how awful it is.
I still have nightmares about getting up that drat hill with the flame tanks.

Cab
Apr 23, 2003

ChetReckless posted:

Remember how PS+ members are supposed to get Awesomenauts for free tomorrow? Now, maybe not so much. Apparently the developer -- DTP Entertainment -- is going bankrupt.

At least we still get Rock of Ages (on the 15th), Trine 2, Symphony of the Night, etc.

No PS is for sure getting awesomenauts tomorrow. That's confirmed by Sony. Xbox may or may not get released.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sounds like PS+ people should grab it regardless, in case it gets delisted when they go under. Like when IREM went bankrupt and they pulled most of their content from all the game networks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there even any buzz if this is a good game or not? It looks like it could go either way, you know?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Feenix posted:

Is there even any buzz if this is a good game or not? It looks like it could go either way, you know?

Awesomenauts? I've heard nothing but good things about it. I know a couple of DOTA-addict writers who are hooked.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dominic White posted:

Awesomenauts? I've heard nothing but good things about it. I know a couple of DOTA-addict writers who are hooked.

Oh that's cool, then. I certainly didn't mean to sound snarky about it. I know NOTHING about it. If there are any good writeup/previews you are aware of, please share. :)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Cab posted:

No PS is for sure getting awesomenauts tomorrow. That's confirmed by Sony. Xbox may or may not get released.

I'm happy that preliminary reports were wrong. Normally I probably wouldn't look at the game unless it was free, but this guarantees I'll probably at least give it a shot. Having a good online community is usually pretty tough for downloadable console games, so if the game is any good this will probably give it a real shot in the arm.

Hopefully its properly balanced out of the gate.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ChetReckless posted:

I'm happy that preliminary reports were wrong. Normally I probably wouldn't look at the game unless it was free, but this guarantees I'll probably at least give it a shot. Having a good online community is usually pretty tough for downloadable console games, so if the game is any good this will probably give it a real shot in the arm.

Hopefully its properly balanced out of the gate.
Normally, I'd say that it being on PS3 would really help with the patching. This way, they can balance it as much as they like.

... but the whole publisher fallout thing, I suppose, means that patches may never happen. Meh. I hope they get it all sorted out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I read a snippet that said they had 6 characters at launch and then would release more via DLC.

Hope you guys like 6 characters! ;)

Also, confession time. Being a console-only gamer, I have no idea what a DOTA style game even is. Like, in a sentence, what kind of game is this?

Is a DOTA game kinda like Battlefield (Control points) only rather than FPS it's RPG Diablo-ish little dudes running around?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Feenix posted:

I read a snippet that said they had 6 characters at launch and then would release more via DLC.

Hope you guys like 6 characters! ;)

Also, confession time. Being a console-only gamer, I have no idea what a DOTA style game even is. Like, in a sentence, what kind of game is this?

Is a DOTA game kinda like Battlefield (Control points) only rather than FPS it's RPG Diablo-ish little dudes running around?

If I were to compare the gameplay of DOTA games and Battlefield, I would probably say it's more like a Rush style map. Where there's 3 lanes that you go on with other back paths for ambushes and other such things.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Fair enough. I think I get it. It's basically a Capture-Node Push.

Sounds cool.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Feenix posted:

When I think DOTA, as a non-DOTA player, I think of a mix of PvE and PvP with characters who RPG style level up mainly via PvE. So you control territory mainly as a means to control access to PvE level up material. Player death is strongly discouraged because it gives resources to the enemy team and your team will bitch at you about it. So the PvE RPG arms race continues until you can beat the enemy team into retreat back to their base and win the game.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Feenix posted:

Oh that's cool, then. I certainly didn't mean to sound snarky about it. I know NOTHING about it. If there are any good writeup/previews you are aware of, please share. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya9Uk0eI21Y&feature=fvst

Is a full match with developer commentary. Got me interested. Also gives you a good idea what a DOTA is, though this twists that formula into a 2d sidescroller.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
When I think of God of War, I don't think "This is a game that translates well to competetive multiplayer deathmatch and co-op gameplay." But it looks like it does. Really drat well, actually.

So this ISN'T God of War 4, but another spin-off. I'm kind of bummed because I want GoW4 already to find out what happens after GoW3, but also not bummed because I really want to play this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

God of War co-op would be cool, but I can't see competitive multiplayer.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Watch the gameplay demo, then.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

But turn it off before the eye-jabbing, cause that's really gross.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Watch the gameplay demo, then.

I've seen it, i'm still on the fence.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Edit: Nevermind, meant to post this in the PS3 General thread.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
This is interesting. I just started up Prototype 2 and it tells me that System Software 4.11 is mandatory to play the game. I've been running 4.10 since forever because 4.11 is an optional update. Fortunately, the update was on the disc because it would have been a huge pain in the rear end to have to download it on this slowass connection. Probably would have taken all night.

Seriously, what the gently caress? What's so awesome about 4.11 that 4.10 just won't do if I'm to play Prototype 2?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

God of War co-op would be cool, but I can't see competitive multiplayer.

It's been a while since I played a God of War game, but can't you cancel all attacks into block or roll? Imagine a fighting game where you could cancel any attack you did into a block or back dash, it would turn into an incredibly turtley game where you can make any offense safe or bait out attacks after briefly starting your own. I'm guessing there will be some serious overhaul to the combat system if they want it to be any good, I personally don't have much faith in them doing this though.

I won't play it as I find the gore and general attitude of the God of War series bizarre and off putting, but I am curious how they would tackle player vs player combat in a game like that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

bleep posted:

It's been a while since I played a God of War game, but can't you cancel all attacks into block or roll? Imagine a fighting game where you could cancel any attack you did into a block or back dash, it would turn into an incredibly turtley game where you can make any offense safe or bait out attacks after briefly starting your own. I'm guessing there will be some serious overhaul to the combat system if they want it to be any good, I personally don't have much faith in them doing this though.

I won't play it as I find the gore and general attitude of the God of War series bizarre and off putting, but I am curious how they would tackle player vs player combat in a game like that.
In the stream the guy specifically mentioned the turtling issues and said there are ways of breaking a block that comes with a cost (slower attack basically, leaving you more vulnerable) and that 1 vs 1 melee fighting is more like a dance where players quickly respond to each other's actions. Seems to me that they've thought it through on that front. The combat system in general will be more 'modernized' and simplified. I for one am glad you can just break health/magic chests now instead of doing the tedious "hold R1 for 3 seconds" thing. A lot of bullshit like that will be gone in GoW:A and it'll be a better game for it.

RaDaMaNt
Apr 24, 2012
I want The Last of Us :O

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

The combat system in general will be more 'modernized' and simplified.

Uhhh...

This doesn't sound good at all. A lot of people complain that GOW is too simplified, making it any simpler is a recipe for a boring game.

RaDaMaNt
Apr 24, 2012
Is gameplay trailer of new GoW out yet?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uhhh...

This doesn't sound good at all. A lot of people complain that GOW is too simplified, making it any simpler is a recipe for a boring game.
I think it strikes a pretty nice balance between accessible and versatile as it is, but I'm assuming by that they meant removing a lot of the more complicated tedious stuff from it. They're getting rid of the quicktime indicators for instance and making UI indicators like that more in-game, so no more floating, flaming Circle prompts but instead you'll be able to see from the state of an enemy that they're open for a killing blow.

So far I'm really liking what I'm hearing, even though "reports" claim that the singleplayer campaign will be shorter than that of GoW3 which has already caused considerable nerd-rage across the board. It's kind of bizarre how much opposition a new God of War game has gotten so quickly after its initial reveal; it's one of the most high-ranking franchises in modern gaming and the team seems to be really adamant on improving the formula. Currently the vibe isn't too different from when Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood was first revealed, what with multiplayer being a new thing for the franchise with that entry, yet there was a fantastic singleplayer as well. Granted, Ubisoft's marketing screwed the pooch a bit on that front and apparently did their best to keep that fact a secret, but hopefully SMS are a bit wiser.

RaDaMaNt posted:

Is gameplay trailer of new GoW out yet?
Just a brief look at multiplayer, I wouldn't expect any singleplayer stuff until around E3.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uhhh...

They must mean for the multiplayer, not the whole game. How can you even make the single player simpler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The concept of GoW combat being simpler sounds awful unless they completely redesign combat from the ground up. The only way I can really see it going well is if they make it something more akin to Arkham Asylum where the combat is more about stringing together simple moves that counter specific things instead.

It's entirely possible they'll surprise me but I don't know. "Let's do another prequel to a time when Kratos is at his weakest and most boring, simplify everything and tack-on multiplayer" isn't a great first impression, even if it ends up being a good game. The GoW games have never been exactly balanced either, which makes me hesitant about competitive multiplayer. It sounds (and looks) like it is five seconds away from being "everyone uses the broken combo, gently caress you otherwise." If they don't put an abnormal amount of effort into balancing it, I imagine they're going to run into a lot of frustrated people.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 1, 2012

• Locked thread