Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

newreply.php posted:

lets just talk about languages that make the most money for ppl knowing them
p. sure that's vb or maybe cobol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Shaggar posted:

all man style, hard tabs only. that ones not really much of a discussion

i shorten this to "hard man style"

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
why don't people like pascal?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Crankit posted:

it's like athousand years old and even then it was for weirdos

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ahhh spiders posted:

and being a "pascal weenie" isn't a thing like being a "lisp weenie" is

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
in the late 90s I used an objection pascal

it was written by dolph lundgren, so i don't think the programmers are weenies

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Gazpacho posted:

lol, "should" in one hand and write imperative code in the other and tell me which fills up the fastest
there's a whole generation of idiots being trained to believe that writing imperative code and writing IO spaghetti are the same thing.

it's you, you're the idiots.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Crankit posted:

because niklaus wirth has never designed anything good ever

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 30, 2012

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i remember the mid 90s though, when the only code on the internet was turbo pascal graphics code.

some many rotating fire cubes...

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
i have a real interview for a real actual job tomorrow and i could not be more nervous

its frustrating because i'm a C guy mainly i mean i can code a complex C program in my sleep without looking at a single reference and i can do C# and java too but i don't know them nearly as well and the job posting doesn't give a clue what i'd actually be using it has the usual C/C++/C#/Java/Perl/JavaScript/SQL/XML/HTML mumblemess of every programming language that has does or ever will exist and is it too much to ask that you let me know ahead of time what it is you actually epxect me to know

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
also lol at java being a usable finished product

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

i have a real interview for a real actual job tomorrow and i could not be more nervous

its frustrating because i'm a C guy mainly i mean i can code a complex C program in my sleep without looking at a single reference and i can do C# and java too but i don't know them nearly as well and the job posting doesn't give a clue what i'd actually be using it has the usual C/C++/C#/Java/Perl/JavaScript/SQL/XML/HTML mumblemess of every programming language that has does or ever will exist and is it too much to ask that you let me know ahead of time what it is you actually epxect me to know

if they wanted actual libraries and "technologies" within those languages they would have specified

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

what are you actually trying to prove with this?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah java separates low demand features outside the core runtime+libraries in order to keep unfinished or uncommon crud out of the core. then, using the jcp, features that are determined to be stable and highly in demand may make it into the core runtime/library distribution. this allows new standards and features for java to be developed in a community oriented fashion while maintaining core stability.

unlike python or earlang where unfinished crud is the core.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

if it's a place you want to work for, they'll ask you about problem-solving and how you would do something from a high level

if it's a place you don't want to work for they'll ask dumb api trivia poo poo

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

BonzoESC posted:

if it's a place you want to work for, they'll ask you about problem-solving and how you would do something from a high level

if it's a place you don't want to work for they'll ask dumb api trivia poo poo

im 28 years old with a wife two kids and a mortgage, i have an english degree that put me $10,000 in debt and never got me a job, and a CS degree that cost me another $5000 to teach me virtually nothing i didn't already know and i have no paid work experience in the field

"place i want to work for" is literally defined as any place willing to pay me $45,000 or more regardless of how crappy the work is

sorry i didn't meanto interrupt im just having a miniature freakout

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
epic meltdown

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

"place i want to work for" is literally defined as any place willing to pay me $45,000 or more regardless of how crappy the work is

:staredog:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

im 28 years old with a wife two kids and a mortgage, i have an english degree that put me $10,000 in debt and never got me a job, and a CS degree that cost me another $5000 to teach me virtually nothing i didn't already know and i have no paid work experience in the field

man, don't worry, if 45k is your goal then you can get there by fogging a mirror.

go in that interview and show off your mad C skills

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Janin posted:

man, don't worry, if 45k is your goal then you can get there by fogging a mirror.

go in that interview and show off your mad C skills
thanks man this is gonna be great!!!!!!

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
destroy their balls

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

man you can make 45k just by being not retarded with excel/access

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
my first job out of college and its six figures writing python for a fortune 100 company. somehow i managed to get completely out of my depth. want to quit and never program again.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

man you can make 45k just by being not retarded with excel/access
well who the gently caress wants to do that

also you guys live in very different job markets :stare:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
the company i worked for out of college moved me into their job market

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

a CS degree that cost me another $5000 to teach me virtually nothing i didn't already know

If your CS degree only covered stuff you already knew, you either were a very motivated independent learner or you enrolled in a lovely CS program

I hacked together a terrible website in PHP when I was in high school, but I didn't know a drat thing about data structures, dynamic programming, graph algorithms, linear algebra, database theory, greedy algorithms (i.e. when they work), parsing, compiler optimizations, techniques for concurrent programming (semaphors, monitors, etc.), NP-complete reductions, machine learning, statistics, information theory, etc. etc. etc.

Whether any of this is useful in a lot of developer jobs is pretty questionable, but I'm always comfused when people say they didn't learn anything in the process of getting a CS degree

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 30, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

unlike python or earlang where unfinished crud is the core.

oh come on, in python, unfinished crud is only 50% of the std lib

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
also $5000 for a university degree seems cheap, are you in europe or somewhere that actually thinks people should be educated

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

ahhh spiders posted:

are you in europe or somewhere that actually thinks people should be educated

thats an exclusive or

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
im bad at writing things, and also thinkng and living. im dead. bye

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

tef posted:

oh come on, in python, unfinished crud is only 50% of the std lib

I usually forget the std lib is even there anyway.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

ahhh spiders posted:

remember delphi?

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
i know a guy who wrote an aol program in it. biggest waste of time?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
delphi, tcl, pascal, a trio of weirdo languages for people who write software in the woods

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

ahhh spiders posted:

delphi, tcl, pascal, a trio of weirdo languages for people who write software in the woods

canadians

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

ahhh spiders posted:

the company i worked for out of college moved me into their job market

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

ahhh spiders posted:

also $5000 for a university degree seems cheap, are you in europe or somewhere that actually thinks people should be educated
$5000 isn't what the degree cost, it's the amount of debt i incurred to get it

and while yes I learned plenty from cormen's book I learned practically nothing from the teacher "teaching" it but the general worthlessness of cs programs is a whole other thing

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

$5000 isn't what the degree cost, it's the amount of debt i incurred to get it

and while yes I learned plenty from cormen's book I learned practically nothing from the teacher "teaching" it but the general worthlessness of cs programs is a whole other thing

the best way to learn is really just by doing things. some books really are pretty good (Kochan is one writer who I think is actually very good), but when you can actually work on stuff and make it work is what helps most. it's even better when you have colleagues who can help you, such as in a work environment, but unfortunately a lot of companies need that 5-7 years' mastered experience with iOS, or the 20 years of Java.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
let sall listen to sulk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

going to school for computers was literally, sincerely, unambiguously the worst decision of my life