Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

After going through 9 blasters, several box breaks, some single packs, trying some value boxes (Series 1 cards smell funny), and even getting my own hobby box, I finally got an autograph from '12 Heritage:

Only 4 cards away from the non-short-print base set (33 SPs away from all 500).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Quantrill posted:

After going through 9 blasters, several box breaks, some single packs, trying some value boxes (Series 1 cards smell funny), and even getting my own hobby box, I finally got an autograph from '12 Heritage.

How many inserts have you gotten with all that Heritage goodness, especially the refractors, parallels and relics? I've not been impressed at all with the number of inserts I've pulled, but I've only opened two rack packs and one blaster.

Mostly though I'm saving my pennies for Topps Archives, due out in May. Two autos per hobby box, I'm hoping to snag a Griffey.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Spork Heidelberg posted:

How many inserts have you gotten with all that Heritage goodness, especially the refractors, parallels and relics? I've not been impressed at all with the number of inserts I've pulled, but I've only opened two rack packs and one blaster.

I've pulled 6 chromes, 3 refracts, 1 black refract, 2 relics, 1 image swap and a handful of the Wal-Mart blue border cards. I have most of the flashbacks and then-and-nows, less than half of the new age performers, and 15 stick-ons. The blasters are really hit or miss; I've got some where I won't pull anything and then I'll get one that has a bunch of inserts.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Here's a link to my trade sheet for 2012 Heritage.
It just has the base, sp's, and inserts now. I will be adding relics and chromes shortly. PM me if anyone wants to do some trades.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I went through a very short period of collecting signed baseballs, and have two questions.

Firstly, does this look like a real A-Rod signature? I had a friend when I lived in L.A. who said they were good friends and spoke often, and I asked for a ball and he got it for me. We both worked in the film business at the time, and we were around celebrities all the time so it wasn't particularly likely that he was bullshitting me, I think. It looks real enough when I google it but what the hell do I know.

Bonus points, who the heck is this? It may have been from 2002 spring training in Arizona where we watched some Cubs, Angels, and Giants game. Naturally I got Dusty Baker to sign one of those godawful cheap rubbery balls where the signature is pretty much long gone (along with Mark Prior, heh) and of course I managed to get god knows who to sign this expensive genuine ball. I also managed to get Ron Santo's autograph while I was there. :)

Also, this is the best of what I got when I sent cards to players when I was a youth. (Also have TIm Crews somewhere, poor guy.)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
A-Rod looks pretty good and going through the effort of getting a good fake to show off your fake friend seems a bit strange.

Mystery signature is one of my favorite players ever, Benny Agbayani. He was in camp with the Rockies that year, who also train in Arizona.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that appears to be an earlier career full name sig from A-Rod.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I completely forgot that I got Agbayani's autograph but now I remember, being all excited about it being a mets fan and all. Thanks!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Busted open a blaster of heritage to whet my appetite. This seems like a lot of fun.

I understand why people say just ebay your favourite team, but I wanted to get a understanding over whether or not I'd want to collect more. I think I do.

And I got a chrome Pablo Sandoval. My first reaction? "Oooh. Shiny." Such a newbie.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Opened a Gypsy Queen blaster from Target today and pulled this:

I think this is the lowest number thing I've ever pulled.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DaFuente posted:

Opened a Gypsy Queen blaster from Target today and pulled this:

I think this is the lowest number thing I've ever pulled.

You pulled that from a blaster?! That's crazy. That card could probably pull $200+ on ebay I'd imagine.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mattfl posted:

You pulled that from a blaster?! That's crazy. That card could probably pull $200+ on ebay I'd imagine.

A Ryan and a Ripken were both in the $175-200 as sold best offers, so that's actually quite possible. I can't imagine why, but I don't get a lot of the modern inserts.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

What a strange insert. It's not even a full liberty. I have an 1898 near that condition and it's only worth a few bucks.

I could understand if they put a penny from his birth year in it, but that is one strange card.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Not to mention that you can pack search those in about 5 seconds with a cheap metal detector, unless they thought ahead and put aluminum foil or something in the packs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My mom's a nurse and this was one of her patients today:

She signed and gave her the card while she was there. Pretty cool.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Yeah...it's a really weird insert. I put it up on eBay at $300 OBO. I'm hoping to get somewhere around $150-$200.

I don't think there's anything in there to fool metal detectors, which seems ridiculous. I put the card back into the wrapper and shook it around- there's a REALLY obvious rattling sound. Like...if you were at a shop you could grab a stack of packs and shake them and know whether or not there's a coin in one of them.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
That AAGPBL card is really really cool!

Fun story- my grandmother joined a senior league softball team when she was in her late 70s (she told us she was a "Designated Walker", but after she passed away we found pictures of her wearing an IF glove :3:). They were the only team who showed up to the state Golden Olympics, so they advanced to the nationals. Ryan Klesko sponsored the team and bought them jerseys and stuff.

Anyway, the team they played in the first round was mostly comprised of former AAGPBL players. They no-hit my grandma's team and mercy ruled them after 3 innings.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

DaFuente posted:

Yeah...it's a really weird insert. I put it up on eBay at $300 OBO. I'm hoping to get somewhere around $150-$200.

I don't think there's anything in there to fool metal detectors, which seems ridiculous. I put the card back into the wrapper and shook it around- there's a REALLY obvious rattling sound. Like...if you were at a shop you could grab a stack of packs and shake them and know whether or not there's a coin in one of them.

I hadn't realized there was this cross-pollination from cards to coins. Is this natural, or just a reach?

Also, I don't want to brag but...

theacox fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 20, 2012

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

theacox posted:

Also, I don't want to brag but...

Nice! Here's the only Carter I have:

Serial #'d to 8. I dropped it on the ground immediately after pulling it and chipped the top right corner :(

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Can I borrow a couple grand so I can buy the Jose Canseco home run hat?

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/cap-that-launched-baseball-blooper-history-up-for-bid

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Opened a box of Gypsy Queen this morning and got this:

:smug:

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

theacox posted:

dammit that's nice!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Question about how the different grading companies compare to each other. I'm planning on buying a 1993 SP Derek Jeter rookie on eBay. I wanna spend around $100. In that range I could get a PSA 8, BGS 8.5, or BCCG 9. Which would you rather have?

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 1, 2012

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

jetgrindeggy posted:

Question about how the different grading companies compare to each other. I'm planning on buying a 1993 SP Derek Jeter rookie on eBay. I wanna spend around $100. In that range I could get a PSA 8, BGS 8, or BCCG 9. Which would you rather have?

Never buy high grade BCCG cards, it uses a weird scale and generally sucks. Between the PSA and BGS I'd just buy whatever one looked nicer.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

jeffersonlives posted:

Never buy high grade BCCG cards, it uses a weird scale and generally sucks. Between the PSA and BGS I'd just buy whatever one looked nicer.

Thanks for the heads up, I was gonna blow another chunk of change on a BCCG 10 Mariano Rivera.

What about GMA? They're also a lot cheaper than PSA or BGS. Same deal?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I wouldn't buy any graded card that wasn't in a PSA, BGS, or SGC holder about 99 percent of the time, not that I always buy graded cards. Never heard of GMA.

In general, buy the card, not the slab.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Bidding for Dmitri Young's insane collection of PSA 10 rookie cards is now open. You know, in case you have a shitload of money that you don't want anymore.

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/catalog.aspx

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Potentially dumb question regarding PSA grading:

What's the number in the upper right corner of the slab? Total number of that card they've graded? Total number of that card to get that grade?

Edit - OK, so not the latter. Reading the descriptions on the Young collection cards, it would appear a number of his are the only PSA 10s.

Edit edit - Christ. I guess I never realized just how insane Young's collection is.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Potentially dumb question regarding PSA grading:

What's the number in the upper right corner of the slab? Total number of that card they've graded? Total number of that card to get that grade?

Edit - OK, so not the latter. Reading the descriptions on the Young collection cards, it would appear a number of his are the only PSA 10s.

Edit edit - Christ. I guess I never realized just how insane Young's collection is.

Card number in the set.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ghumbs posted:

Card number in the set.

Thanks. Knew it was something stupid I wasn't thinking of.

And I am now even more in awe of the collection. Guess I never realized that there were so few 10s out there.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

theacox posted:

drat that is incredible.

I ended up selling the Koufax penny card from GQ for $110. Not as much as I was hoping for, but considering the fact that it's a pretty dumb insert, I'll take it.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

DaFuente posted:

Bidding for Dmitri Young's insane collection of PSA 10 rookie cards is now open. You know, in case you have a shitload of money that you don't want anymore.

If you sort by lowest price, there's a lot that may still end up being affordable. I plan on putting in a bid on his 1990 Bowman Tiffany Bernie Williams. He's even got his own cards up there. How funny would it be to own a Dmitri Young card from the Dmitri Young collection?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

jetgrindeggy posted:

If you sort by lowest price, there's a lot that may still end up being affordable. I plan on putting in a bid on his 1990 Bowman Tiffany Bernie Williams. He's even got his own cards up there. How funny would it be to own a Dmitri Young card from the Dmitri Young collection?
Yeah, I can't imagine anyone ponying up huge money for a Joaquin Andujar, Willie McGee, or Gary Gaetti rookie, even a PSA 10 (for some reason the only ones without bids that stood out to me were Cardinals from the 80s/90s, probably because I'm thinking of bidding on them).

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I dunno why people buy PSA 10s to begin with, I can usually never tell the difference between a 9 and a 10. Hell, most of the 10s are just 9s that were cracked and resubmitted a bunch of times.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

DaFuente posted:

Didn't take long for that Clemente to get up into 6 digits.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
That site is getting crushed right now.

Not sports related, but I caught this in my recommended videos section. I wish he recorded the opening of his 2012 Leaf Oval Office case (break at 2:50, the first part is a summary of other breaks): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4ky-pqJys

How do you react to pulling a signature like that?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

lloyol posted:

That site is getting crushed right now.

Not sports related, but I caught this in my recommended videos section. I wish he recorded the opening of his 2012 Leaf Oval Office case (break at 2:50, the first part is a summary of other breaks): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4ky-pqJys

How do you react to pulling a signature like that?

That is amazing. Too bad you can't actually display that in any way at all.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

That is amazing. Too bad you can't actually display that in any way at all.

Hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the room.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Why on earth would they make a cut signature item of FDR and Hitler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Why on earth would they make a cut signature item of FDR and Hitler?

To get people talking about the product, I guess. I find the entire practice of creating cut signature cards from historical documents to be pretty ugly, to be honest.

• Locked thread