Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I spoiled myself and I feel dumb for not having figured it out sooner.

It's a game with Xeno in the name and there are giant robot enemies. Of loving course there are people 'piloting them'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

Am I a bad person for refusing to not control Shulk because ~protagonist~ :(

Also because I really like his brand of angst. He's a go getter. He subscribes to the Murder Things School of Getting Over It. :allears:

Lately, going back to Shulk has just been kind of a chore for me. I still control him when poo poo Gets Real or a white-con unique shows up, but he just attacks too slowly compared to certain other party members. And I still have yet to get most of the gems I need to really get the buzzsaw effect going.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Daynab posted:

That was basically my exact problem. I grinded mobs in that zone, those I could anyway. Then I explored around zones getting all the locations I had missed. Did some quests from lower levels... But mostly grinding. Got to about 72-73 before I did the boss in that location. That's the bare minimum by the way, cause you aren't far from the end.

I was the same, I think I finished the area at 72-73. Just beat the game at level 78, using shulk, sharla, 7th, and constantly spamming monado shield/speed because gently caress the 2nd part is so goddamn hard otherwise.

But holy poo poo the ending. I had guessed at what it might be but drat it was good. Took roughly 63 hours to beat the game. I don't even remember what the last RPG is that took me over 60 hours. Skyrim was 40 with a ton of exploration, FF6 was 46 hours because I spent 7-8 grinding dinos. Even Baldur's Gate II I'm pretty sure is less than that even on an exploration-heavy playthrough that includes Watcher's Keep.

Easily the best RPG I've played in recent memory. Nintendo better throw giant sacks of money at Monolith and get a Xenoblade 2 even if it'd have to be a new setting. The ending really doesn't leave the Monado stuff for it, but some world exploration could be amazing, but if it involves open ocean it needs to me more like windwaker, less like Suikoden 4.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 30, 2012

Mucking About
May 30, 2011

I have neglected Colony 6 for a very long time, so I'm trying to catch up now. But drat at these gigantic shopping lists. How many levels are there?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Five is the max and you'll be needing some materials from level 70+ enemies later.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The first 3 levels use materials from before Sword Valley, and then level 4 is entirely things from after that point.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I just got my fourth character (who fukin owns) and I was just wondering, do character not in your active party not receive EXP/AP/SP? If so, that sucks!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
They do, but a tiny bit less than active members.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

MARTY TURKEY posted:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I just got my fourth character (who fukin owns) and I was just wondering, do character not in your active party not receive EXP/AP/SP? If so, that sucks!

They receive like, 85 to 90% of EXP/SP. You can skill link to make it 100%.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Calaveron posted:

They receive like, 85 to 90% of EXP/SP. You can skill link to make it 100%.

I feel like it's even higher than that, more like 90-95%. At least, everyone in my party is at the same level though I might just be good at switching people in and out. And there are abilities to boost XP/SP/AP gains that are linkable. Come to think of it, what about XP/SP/AP you get from quests? Is that still reduced for inactive members, even though it's not a combat situation?

Also re-post from earlier-
I'm trying to clear all the Bionis' Leg quests before setting off their "timer", what time does the named enemy you're supposed to kill on the Sky Stage (Violent Andante) appear?
And where can I find some Brogs to collect Brog Leg Meat? Lake Raguel?

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

C-Euro posted:

I'm trying to clear all the Bionis' Leg quests before setting off their "timer", what time does the named enemy you're supposed to kill on the Sky Stage (Violent Andante) appear?

The spreadsheet doesn't specify a time for Andante, he should be around at any time. He runs a set path around Viliera hill instead of sitting in one place, he'll always be in the general area.

There are a few Brogs near Spiral Valley, in the marshy area. Not sure if they drop leg meat though.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I feel like it's even higher than that, more like 90-95%. At least, everyone in my party is at the same level though I might just be good at switching people in and out. And there are abilities to boost XP/SP/AP gains that are linkable. Come to think of it, what about XP/SP/AP you get from quests? Is that still reduced for inactive members, even though it's not a combat situation?

I'm not near my wii at the moment, but I think you can find the brogs on the top level of Bionis's leg, in the swampy bits near the spiral valley waypoint and also over the bridge towards the exit to Colony 6.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TenaCrane posted:

The spreadsheet doesn't specify a time for Andante, he should be around at any time. He runs a set path around Viliera hill instead of sitting in one place, he'll always be in the general area.

So he's closer to the hill than the actual Sky Stage? Maybe I'm just unlucky then...what does he look like?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

C-Euro posted:

Also not at my Wii but I would fast travel to the north end of the bridge and dive into the water next to that little island. There's always a Brog there. Kill, warp, repeat did it for me.

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

C-Euro posted:

So he's closer to the hill than the actual Sky Stage? Maybe I'm just unlucky then...what does he look like?

A very large Ardun. Pretty similar to the berserk Arduns fought to rescue Juju actually.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

"Sky Stage" is kinda bad directions from the game for that one. I usually found him by going east along the southern edge (south of the hill, north of the forests).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

C-Euro posted:

I found him at like 3am.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Does anyone have any idea of what Riki's gem shooter ability does? I've tried him and I sure as hell never get two gem crafting sessions in a row, is this because all the ones he's been involved in have never resulted in cylinders?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Raptor1033 posted:

Does anyone have any idea of what Riki's gem shooter ability does? I've tried him and I sure as hell never get two gem crafting sessions in a row, is this because all the ones he's been involved in have never resulted in cylinders?

I believe it means you'll use the same quality of fire twice in a row, thus halfing the number of fire changes that occur. Kinda lame.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Sounds useful as hell if paired with Dunban.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm about to enter the mines below Colony 6, and I've got a few quests from the town on the Bionis Leg still up, and they're all "timed" quests.

Without spoilers, can I finish the current objective to rescue that idiot Juju without the plot-timer expiring, or should I do those first?

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm about to enter the mines below Colony 6, and I've got a few quests from the town on the Bionis Leg still up, and they're all "timed" quests.

Without spoilers, can I finish the current objective to rescue that idiot Juju without the plot-timer expiring, or should I do those first?

You can go ahead and finish up the mine. The game is clear about when the camp quests are about to run out, and you can control when it happens.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Go ahead and finish. The "timed" icon is used for a variety of things, including:

- Progress too far in the plot and you're SOL on this quest.
- Finish some other competing quest, and the one you didn't choose to do will vanish from your list.
- This quest is only available until you do a particular (and obvious that it'll affect it) thing at your leisure: it's like a plot lockout but sidequesting based instead of plot progress.

The timed quests on Bionis' Leg are a case of the third (a pair of them is also a case of the second).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thanks for that. I figured that I had time, but I just wanted to check.

I have a question about the music now: what’s the name of the boss battle/unique monster track? (And could I get a youtube link if it's not too much trouble? I'd look myself, but I don't want to risk spoilers.)

It was playing, for instance, in the fight with the Arachno Queen, and I think part of the prologue, and the fight with the Berserk Ardun when you meet Juju.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Thanks for that. I figured that I had time, but I just wanted to check.

I have a question about the music now: what’s the name of the boss battle/unique monster track? (And could I get a youtube link if it's not too much trouble? I'd look myself, but I don't want to risk spoilers.)

It was playing, for instance, in the fight with the Arachno Queen, and I think part of the prologue, and the fight with the Berserk Ardun when you meet Juju.

The boss music would be One Who Gets in Our Way, and the unique monster music is You Will Know Our Names. They're both awesome as hell.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm supposed to kill this Sunlight Schvaik bird guy for this little Nopon, but the problem is, I killed it earlier, and it won't respawn. What the gently caress, game!

EDIT: in the swamp

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
Uh, so an enemy locked out my abilities, then I tried warning a party mate that they were about to be attacked, and now the game is waiting for me to select an ability, but they're all locked out... Do I just shut off the Wii now?

It'd be really great if little broken things like this was in the OP.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

MARTY TURKEY posted:

I'm supposed to kill this Sunlight Schvaik bird guy for this little Nopon, but the problem is, I killed it earlier, and it won't respawn. What the gently caress, game!

EDIT: in the swamp

I had something similar happen to me for a mob for Dunban's 4th Skill tree quest, and got my guy to respawn by going to where he was supposed to be and saving/reloading until he appeared after about 3 tries. Saving between each reload may or may not be necessary, but that's what I did.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well that was unexpected. Mid-late game spoilers: I just got to the Machina capital, and was treated to a pretty awesome movie of the war going on up on the sword. One issue though: How the hell is Vangarre there? He seemed like exactly the sort of NPC who would get killed by having a tank thrown at him.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Well that was unexpected. Mid-late game spoilers: I just got to the Machina capital, and was treated to a pretty awesome movie of the war going on up on the sword. One issue though: How the hell is Vangarre there? He seemed like exactly the sort of NPC who would get killed by having a tank thrown at him.

Mustache Power.
No but NPCs say he was only in the hospital after the attack.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
A question: I'm about to go to Prison Island. How far am I? I feel like this is about the point where I start to get disappointed that there isn't more stuff, and if I'm already more than halfway through the game it's really gonna suck.

As an aside, I'm really disappointed that it takes so many goddamn quests to rank up affinity with an area (and by that token, how much it takes to rank up affinity between characters). I've completed at least a dozen (or two) for each area, and I'm only at rank 2 in Colony 9. More than that, the only characters with max affinity are Shulk and Reyn. I've had Dunban in my main party for like all the tough battles and conversations with NPCs, and he isn't at max affinity with either of them yet. It just takes so much time that it's almost not worth it.

More than that, I get overwhelmed by having so many unfinished quests on the list. I need to consult a guide, but I'm so worried about having stuff like the 7th party member spoiled for me (though, given that I've had something else spoiled for me, I have an idea of who it is) that I'm shying away from all of them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Manoueverable posted:

A question: I'm about to go to Prison Island. How far am I? I feel like this is about the point where I start to get disappointed that there isn't more stuff, and if I'm already more than halfway through the game it's really gonna suck.

As an aside, I'm really disappointed that it takes so many goddamn quests to rank up affinity with an area (and by that token, how much it takes to rank up affinity between characters). I've completed at least a dozen (or two) for each area, and I'm only at rank 2 in Colony 9. More than that, the only characters with max affinity are Shulk and Reyn. I've had Dunban in my main party for like all the tough battles and conversations with NPCs, and he isn't at max affinity with either of them yet. It just takes so much time that it's almost not worth it.

More than that, I get overwhelmed by having so many unfinished quests on the list. I need to consult a guide, but I'm so worried about having stuff like the 7th party member spoiled for me (though, given that I've had something else spoiled for me, I have an idea of who it is) that I'm shying away from all of them.

You're like 30% done with the game.
Yes, affinity can be a bit of a pain, but make sure you cycle all your characters when accepting or delivering quests for additional boosts. Also, do the Heart to Hearts as they become available.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Manoueverable posted:

I can't give you an exact percentage, but you're probably less than halfway through. If you're just going with the story, there are at least eight or nine more unique areas of substantial size to go through, plus ones you've already seen. If you're intending to do all the sidequests, you're probably not even a quarter done with the game.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
So I am using a quest guide to do quests for areas I have been and see which ones I am missing because that "~somewhere in the area~" stuff is kind of annoying, the scale of this game is gigantic and it's often closer to something else than the thing it mentions. I am at like 50 hours in because I spent a while doing Bionis Leg quests on my own before looking at the guide but I am in the mountain area just past Alcamoth, and I did all the timed quests for Alcamoth but the guide mentions a lot of quests I didn't do in Makna and Frontier Village, some of them being timed quests. Without being too spoiler-y, how long do I have to finish those quests? Do I have a lot of time or should I finish them now? The plot is saying the next place I am going to is Sword Valley.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Finally got a chance to play this for a couple hours and honestly it's not leaving me too enthralled. I don't really "get" the combat system yet, but on the other hand it reminds me too much of guild wars and I guess other MMOs. I did a bunch of exploring the initial area and did a few quest and I still got steamrolled by the first "boss" (My party was level 6 and he was level 10). Overall I don't know why it's not really gripping me, I guess I'll give it a second chance and see if I enjoy it more then.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Alright, I got Riki.

Jesus christ, he talks like a muppet.

I want to use this guy, though, but I cannot actually figure out how. Seems Riki has a lot of buffs and debuffs but mediocre offense? Similar skills in that regard to what Shulk has, but never comes close to hitting as hard. Does anyone have any pointers?

ZebTM posted:

Finally got a chance to play this for a couple hours and honestly it's not leaving me too enthralled. I don't really "get" the combat system yet, but on the other hand it reminds me too much of guild wars and I guess other MMOs. I did a bunch of exploring the initial area and did a few quest and I still got steamrolled by the first "boss" (My party was level 6 and he was level 10). Overall I don't know why it's not really gripping me, I guess I'll give it a second chance and see if I enjoy it more then.

Generally speaking, you want to be at least evenly-matched before taking on named/boss monsters.

As for everything else in this game, just give it time. Nearly every mechanic is rather opaque at first, but the more you do it, the more sense it starts to make. This is especially evident in the combat system--there's a learning curve, but once you become accustomed to what's going on, it becomes incredibly fun, fast-paced, and engaging, and you will start to absolutely relish the moments in tougher battles where a good strategy comes together.

The same is true for Affinity. Upfront you're probably wondering why the hell all this stuff you're seeing about NPCs even matters, and why you have an affinity chart in the first place, but as you go on, particularly if you regularly do sidequests, you'll see the big picture pan out. It's a nice, unexpected way of adding further color to the game's setting.

Also a piece of advice: If you want to do a lot of quests, don't sell random items/materials. Questing alone gets you giant piles of money, and there's plenty of inventory space. You'll appreciate this when you can complete quests instantly because you already have the goods, saving you legwork and still granting massive rewards.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 1, 2012

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mazed posted:

Alright, I got Riki.

Jesus christ, he talks like a muppet.

A welsh muppet :{

His basic gimmick is that he lets you pull off chain attacks a lot more often, and has DOTs that tick for silly ammounts of damage if you cast them at the end of a Max Chain.

I always put him as member #3 in any party that doesn't need a dedicated healer. When you can chain attack, burst with your leader, topple with the #2, and then have Riki cast Happy Happy, to start filling the gauge back up again. Use any remaining chain links to cast (red) damage abilities, and when the chain finishes, start unloading on the toppled mob (cast another Topple or Daze spell on it if you can).

Because of Happy Happy, the party gauge is almost full again by the time the topple ends. Riki's arguably the best party member, but I'd never choose to play as him. Playing as Shulk or the final party member usually lets you put Riki to best use.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Devoyniche posted:

Without being too spoiler-y, how long do I have to finish those quests? Do I have a lot of time or should I finish them now? The plot is saying the next place I am going to is Sword Valley.

You have until the very last dungeon so you can put them off if you like. The only timed ones that you should do are the ones in the refugee camp and Alcamoth for plot reasons. I was at the final leg of the game at around level 96 and I somehow managed to find low level quests from some npc's I've never seen before and I made sure to do each and every quest possible that showed up on the mini map.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Tyma posted:

His basic gimmick is that he lets you pull off chain attacks a lot more often, and has DOTs that tick for silly ammounts of damage if you cast them at the end of a Max Chain.

I always put him as member #3 in any party that doesn't need a dedicated healer. When you can chain attack, burst with your leader, topple with the #2, and then have Riki cast Happy Happy, to start filling the gauge back up again. Use any remaining chain links to cast (red) damage abilities, and when the chain finishes, start unloading on the toppled mob (cast another Topple or Daze spell on it if you can).

Because of Happy Happy, the party gauge is almost full again by the time the topple ends. Riki's arguably the best party member, but I'd never choose to play as him. Playing as Shulk or the final party member usually lets you put Riki to best use.

Suddenly all of his stuff makes sense. Thanks! Now to make a party with Shulk, Dunban, and Riki, and watch everything just die. Can't wait to get Seventh and turn the whole group into a ghastly meatgrinder. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ZebTM posted:

I did a bunch of exploring the initial area and did a few quest and I still got steamrolled by the first "boss" (My party was level 6 and he was level 10).

The first boss I can remember I wouldn't describe as a he, or a singular pronoun at all. Are you sure you didn't just run into a unique monster? Tephra Cave has a giant caterpillar thing unique monster slapped down right in the middle of the second room you explore, which I think is a lovely design decision, but whatever. If that's what's killing you, just run from it or avoid attracting its attention. It's optional.

• Locked thread