Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Just bought my first ever SSD, a Force 3 240 GB for super cheap. Did I gently caress this up? I read the OP and ordered the drive, and then read a bunch of the thread and maybe the sandforce controller in the force 3 is a bad idea, or am I mistaken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Chill your pills, it's no worse than a mechanical hard drive, but tons faster.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Factory Factory posted:

Chill your pills, it's no worse than a mechanical hard drive, but tons faster.

Awesome, I have no idea about SSDs at all so I figure the no-brainer recommendation would be a super improvement over my old 640GB hard drive.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

Went for a 256 Samsung 830..Doing a new build, hopefully I don't run into any weird problems..
I have one of these at home and 2 dozens in workstations at the office and not problems so far.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TigerDirect has the Crucial M4 128GB for $120 and 256GB for $230

http://slickdeals.net/f/4280678-Cru...BBQAAAAAGOkFRZg

No excuse to not have an SSD in your system now.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone here have the SanDisk Extreme 240GB? It's relatively cheap in my country but Sandisk isn't mentioned a whole lot in this thread from what I've seen, so I'm not sure if it's a good option.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Anyone here have the SanDisk Extreme 240GB? It's relatively cheap in my country but Sandisk isn't mentioned a whole lot in this thread from what I've seen, so I'm not sure if it's a good option.

It's an SF-2281 with Sandisk's 'toggle NAND', and supposedly pretty fast

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Running Windows 7 64-bit, with a Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 (can't find the revision number).

I'm a tenderfoot when it comes to hard drive installation. I put my new Samsung 870 64gb SSD in my computer, plugging it in the Sata3-1 slot, with my Hard Disk in Sata3-0 and my BR drive in Sata3-2. Everything works fine except the SSD, which comes up as an unusable Disk Drive. I can't find drivers for it.
I went into the BIOS and changed my SATA settings to treat devices with AHCI, but that made Windows unbootable.

Should I plug in just the SSD, set the mobo's settings to AHCI, then use Norton Ghost to move my data onto the SSD? My Windows 7 install disk is in a different end of the country so that's not a preferred solution.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Shameproof posted:

Running Windows 7 64-bit, with a Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 (can't find the revision number).

I'm a tenderfoot when it comes to hard drive installation. I put my new Samsung 870 64gb SSD in my computer, plugging it in the Sata3-1 slot, with my Hard Disk in Sata3-0 and my BR drive in Sata3-2. Everything works fine except the SSD, which comes up as an unusable Disk Drive. I can't find drivers for it.
I went into the BIOS and changed my SATA settings to treat devices with AHCI, but that made Windows unbootable.

Should I plug in just the SSD, set the mobo's settings to AHCI, then use Norton Ghost to move my data onto the SSD? My Windows 7 install disk is in a different end of the country so that's not a preferred solution.
Download a Windows 7 SP1 ISO of the appropriate edition from Microsoft here. Burn it to a DVD or 4GB+ USB drive using the Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. Disconnect all harddrives, leave the SSD connected to the first port, make sure AHCI is enabled in the BIOS, boot from the install media you just made and do a clean installation to the drive. With only a 64GB drive you don't have much space at all so you don't want to deal with kruft from an old installation.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

And then I can just enter in my product key, right? OK that will work great.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
I'm feeling pretty special today, finally had an OCZ drive die on me! That's about 1 failure per 15000 POH

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

TigerDirect has the Crucial M4 128GB for $120 and 256GB for $230

http://slickdeals.net/f/4280678-Cru...BBQAAAAAGOkFRZg

No excuse to not have an SSD in your system now.

Add to that: TigerDirect Canada has the 256GB kit for $249. WTH is happening to NAND prices?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys! I'm configuring a Sager laptop over at xotipc today, and am definitely going to get an SSD in it. I'm wondering, though, whether it's a good idea to get one in the configuration or buy one after the fact. Normally I'd buy it separately, since you'd generally get a better deal, but I don't know. It costs $215 for an Intel 520 series SSD, which actually seems like a reasonable price as far as I can tell, especially considering they'll be installing it into the laptop with a fresh bloatware-free Windows 7 install, which saves me a bit of stress and bother. That said, it's still about $20 at least over the sale price on places like newegg/amazon, so should I still pass and just get my own later?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

kaworu posted:

Hey guys! I'm configuring a Sager laptop over at xotipc today, and am definitely going to get an SSD in it. I'm wondering, though, whether it's a good idea to get one in the configuration or buy one after the fact. Normally I'd buy it separately, since you'd generally get a better deal, but I don't know. It costs $215 for an Intel 520 series SSD, which actually seems like a reasonable price as far as I can tell, especially considering they'll be installing it into the laptop with a fresh bloatware-free Windows 7 install, which saves me a bit of stress and bother. That said, it's still about $20 at least over the sale price on places like newegg/amazon, so should I still pass and just get my own later?

What SIZE Intel 520? A 256 bought on your own is only 330$.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh, sorry, $215 for 120gb. A 256GB on there costs $370, I'm just not sure I need that much space given that I'm also getting an HDD for general storage in this laptop. which isn't really too much more given that there's always going to be some markup when you purchase an SSD preconfigured in a gaming laptop like this, rather than going out and getting one for sale on your own.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

kaworu posted:

That said, it's still about $20 at least over the sale price on places like newegg/amazon, so should I still pass and just get my own later?

The typical line is to think of what your time is worth; for a $20-30 markup I'd just have them do it because getting Windows installed and ensuring drivers are up to date will probably take an hour, maybe a bit more and my own time is worth more than that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr Chips posted:

I'm feeling pretty special today, finally had an OCZ drive die on me! That's about 1 failure per 15000 POH
POH doesn't matter too much on NAND.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Any reason the m4's have dropped so sharply in price? Is an update being released soon?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

POH doesn't matter too much on NAND.
Sorry for giving you the impression that I thought it mattered.

I was just surprised at getting two years' worth of work out of OCZ drives in my home lab before something went wrong.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

rawrr posted:

Any reason the m4's have dropped so sharply in price? Is an update being released soon?

Probably competition with the Samsung 830, which is faster yet priced similarly to how the M4 was before that release.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I just realized how cheap SSDs have gotten, and will be picking one up in the very near future.

Can someone tell me what I'd get for this one:
Crucial M4 - $125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442
over this one:
Sandisk Ultra - $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171545

I know that the Sandforce drives are very usable, and the warranty means that I could RMA it if it messes up. However, I think that the firmware updates that the M4 gets could make a difference in reliability and possibly driver issues. Is it worth the $25 more?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
It doesn't really make sense to consider a Crucial M4 but not a current-generation Sandforce drive like the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Alereon posted:

It doesn't really make sense to consider a Crucial M4 but not a current-generation Sandforce drive like the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos.

Stumbled on this thread, read the title, and then read this post and cancelled my $150 OCZ order on Amazon and bought this.

Good job.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
A success story that warms my shriveled by OCZ heart.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Vertigus posted:

Stumbled on this thread, read the title, and then read this post and cancelled my $150 OCZ order on Amazon and bought this.

Good job.

you have chosen...wisely

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bought my Intel 520 480GB SSD yesterday at 18:14, and it was packaged and sent off at 18:39. :woop:
Unfortunately, PostDK (the Danish postal service) had problems at a distribution center, so the packages current status is "Delayed at 705 Taulov Package Center".

Can't wait to get to install Windows all over again, install all apps, games, mods, and everything else again.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 1, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Well, don't forget ninite to save a bunch of your time clicking next, and enjoy that beast of an SSD. That said, last I checked, 2x 240GB Intel 520s were cheaper than one 480, so when it came to ordering some for a specific purpose at work, I opted for 2x 240GB in RAID0, which works out faster and cheaper. Ah well.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Well, don't forget ninite to save a bunch of your time clicking next, and enjoy that beast of an SSD. That said, last I checked, 2x 240GB Intel 520s were cheaper than one 480, so when it came to ordering some for a specific purpose at work, I opted for 2x 240GB in RAID0, which works out faster and cheaper. Ah well.

Oh that's the sweetest app I've seen in a long time, thanks!

Yeah, the price on 2x 240GB Intel 520s is just a smidge less than the price of a single 480GB here in Denmark (at least at the retailer where I usually shop, because of the above-mentioned packaging service), but even with the high MTBF and 5 year warranty, RAID0 just isn't my thing (mainly due to RAID0 per definition not being RAID, and having to rely on hardware RAID on my motherboard).
Besides, I can't use RAID0 because my SATA2 controller is broken (I have a Sandy Bridge motherboard that was purchased before the revision), and there are only 2x SATA6Gbps ports on it, so I won't be able to reconnect my bluray burner.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Tunga, judging by the legions of people coming out of the woodwork to defend OCZ, I think everybody is erring on the side of caution by calling OCZ "the worst".
I'm not sure which way to parse your post but just to clarify my posititon, I have a Vertex 2E 128GB which I bought before any of that poo poo went down and it has been perfectly good for me over the last year or so.

Would I recommend OCZ to anyone else? No, of course not, because of the ridiculous poo poo they did and the many reports of bad quality hardware and bad customer service.

All I was really getting at is was the two posts direct;y above mine read as if they thought it was a current article. So, I'm just saying, it isn't. But it's definitely still a reason to dislike and avoid OCZ because there are enough other manufacturers around who have never pulled poo poo like that, it's not really worth the risk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

drat SSD price floor. I wouldn't mind buying a 32GB SSD if they were cheaper. Like $30-$40. But there's this price floor of about $69.99, similar to hard drives where a 80GB, 160GB, 250GB, and 320GB drive are all the same price or within $5 of each other.

So a $59.99 32GB drive makes little sense when a 64GB drive can be had for $79.99, and that almost doesn't make sense when 128GB drives are under a $100 on sale.

My Linux installs really only need about 10GB of space so there's really no point in getting a 128GB drive when a 32GB will do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

More endurance!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Edit: dead

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tom's reviews the current crop of Marvell-based drives:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/plextor-m3-crucial-m4-octane-performance-pro,3178.html

Corsair Performance Pro 128 GB (CSSD-P128GBP-BK)
Crucial m4 64 GB (CT064M4SSD2)
Crucial m4 128 GB CT128M4SSD2)
OCZ Octane 128 GB (OCT1-25SAT3-128G)
Plextor M3 64 GB (PX-64M3)
Plextor M3 128 GB (PX-128M3)
Plextor M3 Pro 128 GB (PX-128M3P)

The OCZ Octane stunk it up in the power consumption and data transfer benchmarks, and the Crucial M4 and Plextor M3 walk away with 'recommended' status.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mod Note: Do not buy OCZ drives, they are garbage.

Vertex 4 ('Marvell' Indilinx not Sandforce) 128GB for $127

http://slickdeals.net/f/4313916-OCZ-Vertex-4-128GB-2-5-SATA-III-Solid-State-Drive-SSD-127-99-at-newegg?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 2, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Please don't post deals on OCZ drives, we don't want to encourage people to buy them or give them the impression that it's an okay thing to do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Alereon posted:

Please don't post deals on OCZ drives, we don't want to encourage people to buy them or give them the impression that it's an okay thing to do.

Would that apply if it was a Marvell drive?

Sandforce designed their drives to work with second-tier NAND (not that it makes it okay)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Repeat after the thread title: gently caress OCZ.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

OCZ? More like NOCZ am I right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

My poor iMac only has SATA 2.0 :( Otherwise it looks inline with other numbers for similar drives on un-compressible data

Mushkin Chronos 240GB

FWIW here is the Toshiba 128GB SSD in my 2011 13" Macbook Air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Would that apply if it was a Marvell drive?
The Marvell controller doesn't do much to mitigate the slipshod job OCZ probably did on the drive's firmware, board design and assembly.

• Locked thread