Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Got it. So how useful is dagger throwing really? I've always had trouble with it during the tutorial and never used it in my normal mode run, I guess it's worth investing though in dark mode for some annoying ranged enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
It can be useful, but it's also a bit redundant as bombs do the same thing, but more effectively.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lycus posted:

Really, the biggest change would probably be to just change the opening prologue scene from waking up with Triss to Triss coming to tell you that Foltest wants to see you (instead of the soldier). That way you could keep the same exposition dialogue from that bit. Then you'd just have to remove some girlfriend-y dialogue here and there from the Prologue and Chapter 1.

I do have to laugh at the idea of Triss leering at a pissed-off Shani and trying to keep getting a peek when she's supposed to be leaving the tent though :laugh:

Also Jesus Christ gently caress the arm wrestling in this game - I didn't realize I needed to use the mouse to keep the bar moving, the first time it happens you get instructions AS the wrestling is going on. All I managed to read was "keep the cursor in the bar" so I was using the arrow keys. Then I figured out I had to use the mouse, and it just leaps across the screen and won't stop no matter how minute my movement is, even if I lower mouse sensitivity to essentially zero.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

The Doomhammer posted:

It defaults to Triss, but apparently the EE adds a 'Shani Romanced' flag to the save import that wasn't there before.

So maybe she'll at least get mentioned now, I don't have a Shani save to check though.

There is a character entry for Shani which mentions that they used to be together, but it didn't work out.

Jerusalem posted:

Also Jesus Christ gently caress the arm wrestling in this game - I didn't realize I needed to use the mouse to keep the bar moving, the first time it happens you get instructions AS the wrestling is going on. All I managed to read was "keep the cursor in the bar" so I was using the arrow keys. Then I figured out I had to use the mouse, and it just leaps across the screen and won't stop no matter how minute my movement is, even if I lower mouse sensitivity to essentially zero.

I usually switch to the controller for arm wrestling. ( and then switch back to the mouse as soon as I need to do anything inventory related because gently caress navigating menus with a controller )

Did I mention how much the consolized UI / controls annoy me?

Edit: wait a second, I just realized something. Only the Enhanced Edition was released on Xbox360, so why was an initially PC-only game released with controls and UI clearly geared towards consoles?

beer_war fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 1, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any way to get the "experienced" trait when you missed the dummies in the prologue? It seems like it's the only way to get to level 30 and I missed out on the dummies of course. It seems the respawning ones in flotsam don't count?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I actually haven't even tried the game with m+kb. I started playing with a 360 controller and that felt so nice that I haven't felt the need to switch. I use xpadder to put quick save on the back button and map on the right stick button, so I never touch the keyboard at all. Inventory is the only menu that I wish was easier, but it's not super terrible.

The main thing that frustrates me is that the radial quick menu seems tailor made to use with a controller, but doesn't actually act like a radial menu -- i.e. after you hit left to open the signs, you have to scroll down the list rather than just point to the sign with the stick. It's a curious decision.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

ChetReckless posted:

The main thing that frustrates me is that the radial quick menu seems tailor made to use with a controller, but doesn't actually act like a radial menu -- i.e. after you hit left to open the signs, you have to scroll down the list rather than just point to the sign with the stick. It's a curious decision.

That annoys me too. And it works just like you'd expect it to for the 360 version but they didn't include the 360 gamepad improvements in the PC EE patch.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

beer_war posted:

Edit: wait a second, I just realized something. Only the Enhanced Edition was released on Xbox360, so why was an initially PC-only game released with controls and UI clearly geared towards consoles?

This happens all the time, gotta chase those console sales and dev time is limited so you go with one UI and build it to the least common denominator. See: Skyrim.

I think there's a pretty ok UI mod out there, and apparently the EE makes things a little better? I dunno I didn't play the release version , picked it up with the EE.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

FrickenMoron posted:

Any way to get the "experienced" trait when you missed the dummies in the prologue? It seems like it's the only way to get to level 30 and I missed out on the dummies of course. It seems the respawning ones in flotsam don't count?

They do count it just seems like they upped the number of dummies you need to take out. I think I chopped up more like 30 or so before it finally gave me the trait.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I can't imagine playing this game with kb/m.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm having a rather easy time with kb/m, especially on all the minigames.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The only thing that annoys me with KB/M is the quick cast hotkeys for spells sometimes just don't work at all. I just ignore them though and the controls feel fine to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

keyframe posted:

As a controller junkie and primarily console player, I've only ever played this game on a PC with a kb/m, and it works great.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

Waterbed posted:

The only thing that annoys me with KB/M is the quick cast hotkeys for spells sometimes just don't work at all. I just ignore them though and the controls feel fine to me.

holy poo poo I thought my mouse might be broken. I bound Quen and Aard to my two thumb mouse buttons, and after rolling Quen would probably fail ~30% of the time. Taking a couple steps would let me cast it, but by then an arrow or whatever hit me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Smol posted:

It can be useful, but it's also a bit redundant as bombs do the same thing, but more effectively.

Especially with the bomb damage upgrade that really helps for groups.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

keyframe posted:

I was enjoying the controller until I opened up the inventory and had to click the analog stick a bunch of times just to get to my quest items, so I unplugged it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does keyboard/mouse make it faster to scroll the cursor when you are deciding how much to pay someone because with a controller it is painfully slow for some reason. Or am I missing some other way to do it?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does keyboard/mouse make it faster to scroll the cursor when you are deciding how much to pay someone because with a controller it is painfully slow for some reason. Or am I missing some other way to do it?

You can at least click and drag the little icon to change the amount.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of that, is there any rhyme or reason how much you need to pay to bribe people? Is it simply some hidden amount of money that you need to guess at, or is there more to it?

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of that, is there any rhyme or reason how much you need to pay to bribe people? Is it simply some hidden amount of money that you need to guess at, or is there more to it?

prostitutes are 100 orens

thats about all you need, happy playing

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

DMBFan23 posted:

This happens all the time, gotta chase those console sales and dev time is limited so you go with one UI and build it to the least common denominator. See: Skyrim.

I think there's a pretty ok UI mod out there, and apparently the EE makes things a little better? I dunno I didn't play the release version , picked it up with the EE.

There's Panel Tweaks, which doesn't work with the EE, and there is no indication if / when there will be an updated version.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

The bumpers move it in increments of 10, the triggers 100.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

FrickenMoron posted:

What is this trait? I've played the game three times and had no idea it existed. Does it give you a bonus to exp? That would be incredibly handy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wiseblood posted:

The bumpers move it in increments of 10, the triggers 100.
Weird, I could have sworn I messed around with the controller in every way I could think of, how could I have missed that?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've never read the novels and was just wondering, how many of the characters are in that? I assume Dandelion, Zoltan, Yennefer and Triss a few others are, but I dunno about the rest.

edit: Also it still shocks me how they made the old amnesia shtick actually enjoyable to read in these games.

Yennefer is super important, yeah. All the current kings at the start of the game are drawn from the books, as are all the sorceresses except Síle de Tancarville. Detmold too, and the priest Tailles from the prologue. I'm pretty sure Foltest's affair with the baroness La Valette is mentioned in the books as well.

So there's plenty. Most of is is powerful, important people or people close to Geralt.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 2, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I need help with the messenger quest in act 3. I am supposed to talk with this baron Kimbolt but there is no direction marker on the map. Where the hell is he located?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just noticed that all of the witcher books have been translated into german, so I'm gonna give them a shot. I'm really interested into learning more about the world the game is set in and all of those characters you don't hear too much about in the games.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

keyframe posted:

I found that it controls pretty great with keyboard and mouse.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Cool glad it works out for you guys. I prefer the controller for third person games.

Just finished the roche playthrough, why didn't they announce witcher 3 yet :negative:

Also the ending:

Who is that army that invades at the after credits ending cutscene?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

keyframe posted:

Also the ending:

Who is that army that invades at the after credits ending cutscene?

Nilfgaard's, of course. Letho killed the kings in order to soften up the North and make them less able to resist the invasion.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
So, I just played a certain quest and, well, that was certainly something alright.

Act 2 Roche path, Path of Vision quest: I'm not quite sure what was most hilarious, that the vision simply consisted of A FOREST OF COCKS and a giant shadowy rooster, or that Dandelion goes all Freudish in his description of it.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Any tips for the gargoyle quest in Act3? I found the three areas but have no idea what order to do it in even with the notes.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Any tips for the gargoyle quest in Act3? I found the three areas but have no idea what order to do it in even with the notes.

By notes do you mean the books that describe elven symbols? If not you need to get them from Bras of Ban Ard at the marketplace. In every book a symbol is desribed that matches one of the different symbols in the 'gargoyle rooms'. With this information you need to work out which symbol corresponds to what part of the poems in the rooms. The order the symbols appear in the poems is the order they need to be extinguished.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Did you buy the books (Runes of Power I-IV)? They should help you decipher the combinations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Red Mundus posted:

Just youtube it because gently caress that stupid puzzle.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Red Mundus posted:

The notes should tell you what the symbols represent and on a podium in each room there's a passage to read that cryptically tells you the proper order.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Thanks guys! I bought all 4 books and read them but could never really figure it out.

keyframe posted:

Just youtube it because gently caress that stupid puzzle.

Ha, that's what I did. Didn't matter anyways because I couldn't find a way to the last rune room and accidentally advanced the main quest and failed it. Oh well, was getting boring anyways.

Speaking of which, what an ending! :stare:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I just can't do the final showdown with Letho. When hearing bout Phillipa and Sile bitch about him, and then hearing him tell-all about how he did it at the end I had to respect the crafty bastard, and part ways without a fight. I mean christ, the guy shares a couple shots of vodka with me.

Plus it didn't matter too much, I chose the Iorveth // 'do everything you can to save Triss' route. I don't think I even saw Roche in the final act.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Speaking of Sile at the end

what happens if you save her instead of letting her explode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

keyframe posted:

Speaking of Sile at the end

what happens if you save her instead of letting her explode?

She tells you that Yennifer is in Nilfgaard!

• Locked thread