Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Macaroni posted:

Is there a separate iLife/iPhoto thread, or is this the place to ask questions about that?

Shoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyth
Jun 7, 2011

Professional windmill tilter
I've never tried to use OS X's built-in RAID options to create a mirrored pair, and I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile (for our house's media drives.) Due to our living situation, it's less than convenient to get to our offsite backup, so being able to recover from a single drive failure would be nice.

Anyone have any experience? We don't care at all about speed, just that it not be a buggy software RAID implementation.

(edit) VVV: Thanks for the reply! By "recover" I mean "survive a single disk failure". As noted, we have an offsite backup for actual backup. And actually they'd be just a pair of USB's, heh. But as I said, speed is a non-issue. Not high-quality media, not doing anything but being there for two people.

Kyth fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 1, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I ran a mirrored pair for a few years, two pairs actually, it seemed to work fine...as long as the drives mounted more or less at the same time. I was using dual drive enclosures and that was ok, except during one experiment with separate enclosures on separate buses (to increase speed). Forgot to turn one on, RAID was degraded, took a day or so to rebuild. Whatever the case it worked.

Since speed isn't a concern for you I think it'd be fine. Even then it depends on the connection, I had FW and USB so my pairs were really bandwidth constrained. It's fine over SATA or Thunderbolt.

Edit: RAID is not a backup and all that stuff. You should still have a separate backup drive just in case, while the RAID would be to just be able to continue working through a drive failure rather than "recover" per say.

japtor fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 1, 2012

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

lord funk posted:

Oh, you mean like this? (I just disconnected the monitor for a while, reconnected it)

Edit: and yes, logging out and back in fixed it. What a mess.

I get this as well. Goes away when the window is fully on the second monitor or back on the primary. Looks to be ICC profiles not taking effect until it's on the other monitor.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
My old 2008 iMac is running pretty full (it only has a 320 gig HD). Yesterday, I cleared out some files and got it up from 15 gig or so free space to around 25 gig. Then, while using Photoshop, I got a warning about my startup disk being nearly full.

I took a look and I've suddenly got 40 gig free. Is there any explanation for this? Dos the OS clear out stuff when you're nearly full (I'd never had the warning before)? I'm trying to work out whether I'd cleared out more than I though I had, deleted something big accidentally or if it's normal for a machine to jettison some junk.

The one thing I did do yesterday was delete the iPod Photo Cache in iPhoto to resolve a syncing error with my phone. Could that file be 15 gig? I never checked my free space after doing that.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Photoshop makes very large temp files while it is running. Free up more space.

There's a nice program called Disk Inventory X that will show you what is using up space on your drive.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
Bleh.

Having some problems with BootCamp right now.

I have Windows 7 SP1 and Lion installed. I can boot into Windows without issue, see my Lion partition and even manipulate files on the drive. When I try and boot into Lion, the little wheel loading thing just spins forever and it never boots, same with holding down Shift on boot. In addition, when I go into Recovery HD in an attempt to reinstall Lion, I don't see it in the drive list, just my Windows and Recovery HD partition.

What can I do and what might be happening?

Ninja Edit: Also, sometimes I get weird a error about Lion when I boot into Windows, it's the same one all the time about not being blah blah blah properly last time.

Real Edit: As an aside, I know this has been addressed before, is there any chance it's even possible to update a driver or something to make Windows run less hot when using BootCamp?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Xithyl posted:

Bleh.

Having some problems with BootCamp right now.

I have Windows 7 SP1 and Lion installed. I can boot into Windows without issue, see my Lion partition and even manipulate files on the drive. When I try and boot into Lion, the little wheel loading thing just spins forever and it never boots, same with holding down Shift on boot. In addition, when I go into Recovery HD in an attempt to reinstall Lion, I don't see it in the drive list, just my Windows and Recovery HD partition.

What can I do and what might be happening?

Ninja Edit: Also, sometimes I get weird a error about Lion when I boot into Windows, it's the same one all the time about not being blah blah blah properly last time.

Real Edit: As an aside, I know this has been addressed before, is there any chance it's even possible to update a driver or something to make Windows run less hot when using BootCamp?

Have you tried doing a disk repair and permissions fix from disk utility in the recovery boot? It seems to me that something in the HFS partition is out of whack.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I had something similar happen after installing the paragon HFS+ driver for windows. It completely corrupted my HFS drives while in windows (but they all still worked in windows fine). A disk repair/permissions repair fixed it all up.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Is there a way to manually add an 802.1X profile in lion? I had one under SL, but it vanished on upgrade. However, it still magically connected anyway until this morning. Now I've found it — lion 'helpfully' migrated it to Ethernet. Of course, even there I can only delete it; no modification or duplication seems possible.

What the hell apple?

zegadeth
May 14, 2006
Double life!!
I know that the new hardware released after mountain lion can't be downgraded to snow leopard.But if i bought a new imac tomorrow from apple would this really count as "new hardware" or does that tag just apply to the new MBA and mini's?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

syndex posted:

I had something similar happen after installing the paragon HFS+ driver for windows. It completely corrupted my HFS drives while in windows (but they all still worked in windows fine). A disk repair/permissions repair fixed it all up.

Yes, THIS. You have no idea how close I was to making GBS threads myself when I tried saw that "Disk is unreadable [Initialize]" thing pop up on my digital photo drive after I had accessed it with Paragon in Windows.

Seriously, I don't know what it is because I *used* to use Paragon without any issue, but now it just completely WRECKS HFS+ volumes.

On the upside, Paragon was the software that actually forced me to go get a second drive to just do routine backups of my photos.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Zenostein posted:

Is there a way to manually add an 802.1X profile in lion? I had one under SL, but it vanished on upgrade. However, it still magically connected anyway until this morning. Now I've found it — lion 'helpfully' migrated it to Ethernet. Of course, even there I can only delete it; no modification or duplication seems possible.

What the hell apple?

Go to Sys Prefs -> Network - > Wi-Fi

Click advanced, and there is an 802.1X tab where you can add, edit, and delete profiles.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

zegadeth posted:

I know that the new hardware released after mountain lion can't be downgraded to snow leopard.But if i bought a new imac tomorrow from apple would this really count as "new hardware" or does that tag just apply to the new MBA and mini's?
No clue about the MBA (but I suspect it) while I'm pretty the current minis shipped with Lion. I remember some thread on the MacRumors forums trying to get Snow Leopard on them, they were at least partially successful last I saw but I don't know if that has held up...I guess it might have since it's not like 10.6 has gotten any major updates since then.

Martytoof posted:

Yes, THIS. You have no idea how close I was to making GBS threads myself when I tried saw that "Disk is unreadable [Initialize]" thing pop up on my digital photo drive after I had accessed it with Paragon in Windows.

Seriously, I don't know what it is because I *used* to use Paragon without any issue, but now it just completely WRECKS HFS+ volumes.

On the upside, Paragon was the software that actually forced me to go get a second drive to just do routine backups of my photos.
I've also heard about the Paragon NTFS driver for Mac loving up Windows partitions :v:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

japtor posted:

No clue about the MBA (but I suspect it) while I'm pretty the current minis shipped with Lion. I remember some thread on the MacRumors forums trying to get Snow Leopard on them, they were at least partially successful last I saw but I don't know if that has held up...I guess it might have since it's not like 10.6 has gotten any major updates since then.

I've also heard about the Paragon NTFS driver for Mac loving up Windows partitions :v:

The Mac Mini and MBA's both shipped with Lion last summer. I am (as well as a coworker) still dealing with WiFi issues on the MBA's, although the most recent updates have quelled the issues for the most part.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

mayodreams posted:

Have you tried doing a disk repair and permissions fix from disk utility in the recovery boot? It seems to me that something in the HFS partition is out of whack.

Will try this and report back when I get home. Thanks a lot for the answer.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

mayodreams posted:

Go to Sys Prefs -> Network - > Wi-Fi

Click advanced, and there is an 802.1X tab where you can add, edit, and delete profiles.

Unless I magically hosed it up, I can't. I could, in Snow Leopard. It's working now, the way it did previously, via some magical invisible "Default" profile (which somehow has the right protocol, username/pass &c.). I guess it's somehow reading this from my keychain?

Wifi:

Wifi Advanced, 802.1X tab:

Ethernet:

Ethernet Advanced, 802.1X tab:

As you can see, in neither connection may I add an 802.1X key. And clicking help just says "contact your sysadmin, and open the Config. Profile you got via web/e-mail. No provision for me inputting this myself, which is how the University does things/tells users to do things.

So it just works arbitrarily, I guess based on some magical repository where it is hiding my 802.1X key.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Sorry, I see that now on my machine. We had to delete it a lot in SL when users changed their AD password, so I was just on auto pilot. Maybe try deleting the network in the advanced wi-fi config and out of Keychain Access?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Zenostein posted:

Unless I magically hosed it up, I can't. I could, in Snow Leopard. It's working now, the way it did previously, via some magical invisible "Default" profile (which somehow has the right protocol, username/pass &c.). I guess it's somehow reading this from my keychain?

Wifi:

Wifi Advanced, 802.1X tab:

Ethernet:

Ethernet Advanced, 802.1X tab:

As you can see, in neither connection may I add an 802.1X key. And clicking help just says "contact your sysadmin, and open the Config. Profile you got via web/e-mail. No provision for me inputting this myself, which is how the University does things/tells users to do things.

So it just works arbitrarily, I guess based on some magical repository where it is hiding my 802.1X key.

It's working because that setting was in there before you upgraded. New 802.1X settings have to come from .mobileconfig files, which can be created relatively easily with iPCU. I think the arbitrary-seeming restriction is Apple's way of getting people to switch away from MCX managed preferences and onto their new preferred device-management system.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

japtor posted:

Equal opportunity loving.

I'm using Paragon to read my NTFS volume without too many issues…….. YET :ohdear:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 1, 2012

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sonic Dude posted:

It's working because that setting was in there before you upgraded. New 802.1X settings have to come from .mobileconfig files, which can be created relatively easily with iPCU. I think the arbitrary-seeming restriction is Apple's way of getting people to switch away from MCX managed preferences and onto their new preferred device-management system.
in addition to this, the 802.1X support in Lion (and iOS 5) is much better at auto-negotiating the security when you give it your username and password than it was in Snow Leopard.

I work at a university that supports eduroam and previously people had to set up their own 802.1X settings before it would connect. These days it just asks for a username and password on first connection and auto configures both PEAP/MS-CHAP and TTLS/PAP on its own, even on new or freshly imaged machines.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Mercurius posted:

in addition to this, the 802.1X support in Lion (and iOS 5) is much better at auto-negotiating the security when you give it your username and password than it was in Snow Leopard.

I work at a university that supports eduroam and previously people had to set up their own 802.1X settings before it would connect. These days it just asks for a username and password on first connection and auto configures both PEAP/MS-CHAP and TTLS/PAP on its own, even on new or freshly imaged machines.

That does explain a bit. Still not sure why a WPA 802.1X profile would get automatically migrated to ethernet, but whatever. It's not doing any harm there.

Also, thanks Sonic Dude. Once I figured out that the stupid thing actually chose to install to Utilities, rather than Applications or Developer, it was reasonably intuitive. So now: was that Profiles pref-pane always there, or is it there as a result of me making a profile and then importing it?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Zenostein posted:

Also, thanks Sonic Dude. Once I figured out that the stupid thing actually chose to install to Utilities, rather than Applications or Developer, it was reasonably intuitive. So now: was that Profiles pref-pane always there, or is it there as a result of me making a profile and then importing it?
It's only there if you have profiles installed. I can't imagine the number of questions that would arise if it displayed all the time. :)

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
Great.

So no repair or verify worked. I can get into Windows, my Lion partition still exists but all the files have been removed from them. I can enter the Recovery HD but when I try to install from there, there is no partition to install it on.

Under the Disk Utility program I can't totally format and clear the disk (unless I'm a loving idiot) and just go with a clean Lion.

I no longer care about Windows/Lion partitions. I want my poo poo back to factory, so just installing on a clean drive from the recovery HD without getting random "mount this/that" errors that stop me from wiping/cleaning up data and partitions.

What the gently caress can I do to just end this and have Lion on a clean HDD?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can you boot a Snow Leopard CD or whatever your Mac came with originally?

You probably can't format the disk if you're running the OS off it.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

Bob Morales posted:

Can you boot a Snow Leopard CD or whatever your Mac came with originally?

You probably can't format the disk if you're running the OS off it.

I didn't get a OS disc with it, bought it used. I swear I used an online guide to make a bootable Lion disc, but that was ages ago and I have no idea where it is now.

Under Disk Utility, so pre-booting any partition, it shows Lion and allows me to 'Erase' it. Windows 7, however, gives me an error relating to mounting (I've tried mounting and unmounting) and says it's unable to erase and the data stays on. That's where I'm posting from now.

Edit: If it seems like I'm clueless, I am. Never had an issue like this with my MacBook before and usually on Windows it's as easy as grabbing my disc and reformatting. This is way different and I don't know how to do it (thought I did, but Disk Utility didn't work out for me, yet).

Xithyl fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 2, 2012

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I have a late 2010 MacBook Air. I'm running Snow Leopard and Chrome. Now when I watch Youtube videos (maybe others, not sure) they play mostly fine, but every 30 seconds or so the video freezes for about 1 second. The audio keeps going fine, and the video recovers and stays synced. Not sure what is going on, but I know it didn't happen 6 months ago.

I watched activity monitor and my CPU usage isn't maxing out as far as I can tell. It might only happen with embedded videos but also not sure.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Xithyl posted:

I didn't get a OS disc with it, bought it used. I swear I used an online guide to make a bootable Lion disc, but that was ages ago and I have no idea where it is now.

Under Disk Utility, so pre-booting any partition, it shows Lion and allows me to 'Erase' it. Windows 7, however, gives me an error relating to mounting (I've tried mounting and unmounting) and says it's unable to erase and the data stays on. That's where I'm posting from now.

Edit: If it seems like I'm clueless, I am. Never had an issue like this with my MacBook before and usually on Windows it's as easy as grabbing my disc and reformatting. This is way different and I don't know how to do it (thought I did, but Disk Utility didn't work out for me, yet).
If it's a 2010 model with up-to-date firmware, or a 2011 model, you can hold Cmd-Shift-R at boot to do Internet Recovery. Then you can partition the drive with a single HFS+ and install Lion.

You'd need to be connected to the Internet via Ethernet, or have an open WiFi network around, however.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Xithyl posted:

I'm confused, why can't you boot to the recovery partition, select the Lion partition, Erase it (as an Journaled HFS+) and then exit disk utility and reinstall Lion? BTW, you need to select the Lion partition not the whole drive in the left pane. That might be where you are going wrong.

Edit: Also if you need to remove the windows partition as well, click on the DRIVE not the partition, go to the partition tab and repartition the drive as 1 partition. This will format the partition as well. Then just install Lion.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 2, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

modig posted:

I have a late 2010 MacBook Air. I'm running Snow Leopard and Chrome. Now when I watch Youtube videos (maybe others, not sure) they play mostly fine, but every 30 seconds or so the video freezes for about 1 second. The audio keeps going fine, and the video recovers and stays synced. Not sure what is going on, but I know it didn't happen 6 months ago.

I watched activity monitor and my CPU usage isn't maxing out as far as I can tell. It might only happen with embedded videos but also not sure.

Is the CPU spiking at all, or is it hitting the net/disk at that point?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Is the CPU spiking at all, or is it hitting the net/disk at that point?

Yeah it looks like it is spiking the CPU at the same time. I watched activity monitor more and it looks like Chrome Renderer and Shockwave Flash were using up more CPU during the spike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

modig posted:

Yeah it looks like it is spiking the CPU at the same time. I watched activity monitor more and it looks like Chrome Renderer and Shockwave Flash were using up more CPU during the spike.

I just noticed my girlfriends Macbook was doing the same thing yesterday. It's pause (but more like every 10 seconds) and then you'd see the network activity spike (along with the CPU)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Could somebody please tell me if there's a better/faster way of doing what I'm doing in iPhoto '11? I go to a concert or whatever, take a whole bunch of photos. I want to upload them to Facebook/Flickr etc., so I go through them one by one, hitting cmd-. to flag them for easy visual identification. Then in album view I go through and cmd-click every flagged photo to put in a separate album, where I'll then review them again one-by-one, weeding out anything unsatisfactory. Then I just upload this album.

Anyway to streamline that?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone actually use ~/Applications? I just realized that I've never actually put anything in there. If you do, I've love to hear about how you decide whether something should go in /Applications or ~/Applications.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wineskin Winery dumps stuff in there by default but I invariably move it. So I guess my answer is "sort of".

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Steam also puts stuff in there for whatever reason.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe apps that aren't actual installers can't dump stuff in /Applications? Who knows.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone actually use ~/Applications? I just realized that I've never actually put anything in there. If you do, I've love to hear about how you decide whether something should go in /Applications or ~/Applications.

I believe the only reason for you as a user to put an application there is if you only want it to be accessible for yourself. Of course, on a single-user machine it's not something you really need to worry about.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I occasionally use ~/Applications for stuff that I want to sync between computers (either through mobile account syncing or just something like SugarSync). I'd rather not have everything in /Applications taking up space on an online service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also, what is up with all these secondary monitor problems? Just started having these recently, 10.7.3. Look at what happened to YouTube:

On display number two:

Putting it midway between my MBP's display and my secondary:

Haven't seen it happen to anything else yet, or, curiously enough, other youtube pages.

e: actually it seems to happen on every youtube page on my secondary monitor, and it's most likely an update to Google Chrome Canary that's the culprit. No worries.

Manky fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 2, 2012