Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
bullseye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
another worthless post from Internaut

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
lmao you thought that kickstarter was an investment website

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
as far as i can tell your posting consists entirely of tipping your hand on just how out of touch you are, while condescending to people younger than you about things they already knew. please die of old age

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
ahh spiders: get out

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

ahh spiders: get out

you're tiny bug child

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

and you're a terrible loving poster

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

why look, another three-post combo of shrill, histrionic bullshit tangentially related to the post it was replying to. that's our ah spiders

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

why look, another three-post combo of shrill, histrionic bullshit tangentially related to the post it was replying to. that's our ah spiders

the only reason anyone pays any attention to you is because 90% of the people in here are morons and can't detect really lazy trolls

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

ahhh spiders posted:

the only reason anyone pays any attention to you is because 90% of the people in here are morons and can't detect really lazy trolls

he's kinda right tho

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

the only reason anyone pays attention to you is because once you decide to poo poo up a thread you start making half of the posts in it

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

the only reason anyone pays attention to you is because once you decide to poo poo up a thread you start making half of the posts in it

because the amount of truth i need to communicate doesn't fit within a single post

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
tiny bug child vs ahhh spiders cripplefight :allears:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Janin posted:

tiny bug child vs ahhh spiders cripplefight :allears:

:qq: please pay attention to me i'm janin :qq:

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

ahhh spiders posted:

as far as i can tell your posting consists entirely of tipping your hand on just how out of touch you are, while condescending to people younger than you about things they already knew. please die of old age

I wish I was young again. The older you get the harder it is to get that awesome feeling from solving a really awesome problem. Unless you work at an awesome job you spend more and more time solving problems you've solved over and over and over while you watch other people keep getting that rush from stuff you figured out a decade ago because you have to give something to the junior guy and why not give them something boring? Eventually your life outside of work takes up more and more of your time that you'd spend learning new tools or technologies and you get more and more political responsibilities so your ability to code starts with wither a little bit. Then some kid who has a tenth of your experience comes and (with some justification) starts spouting off about how you're out of touch so you just sadly smile and go back to fixing your bugs that originated from not paying enough attention because you were juggling ten different balls so that none of the other developers had to deal with all the bullshit and hope that the kid doesn't end up in the same place as you in a few short years.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

ahhh spiders posted:

:qq: please pay attention to me i'm janin :qq:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

wins32767 posted:

I wish I was young again. The older you get the harder it is to get that awesome feeling from solving a really awesome problem. Unless you work at an awesome job you spend more and more time solving problems you've solved over and over and over while you watch other people keep getting that rush from stuff you figured out a decade ago because you have to give something to the junior guy and why not give them something boring? Eventually your life outside of work takes up more and more of your time that you'd spend learning new tools or technologies and you get more and more political responsibilities so your ability to code starts with wither a little bit. Then some kid who has a tenth of your experience comes and (with some justification) starts spouting off about how you're out of touch so you just sadly smile and go back to fixing your bugs that originated from not paying enough attention because you were juggling ten different balls so that none of the other developers had to deal with all the bullshit and hope that the kid doesn't end up in the same place as you in a few short years.

WOw dad i didnt know you posted on something awful grampa

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
that makes sense though. im sorry you're so bitter Internaut

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

all that talk about two degrees vs. no degrees reminds me of this one supervisor i had when i worked a lovely computer lab job in college. spent 6 years in school his first time around because he started out in comp. eng. and couldn't hack it, switched to a dual major in japanese and east asian studies because anime. graduated, worked a call center job for a year, took two years off for "mental health," then came back to get another bachelor's in IST. what a winner

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

all that talk about two degrees vs. no degrees reminds me of this one supervisor i had when i worked a lovely computer lab job in college. spent 6 years in school his first time around because he started out in comp. eng. and couldn't hack it, switched to a dual major in japanese and east asian studies because anime. graduated, worked a call center job for a year, took two years off for "mental health," then came back to get another bachelor's in IST. what a winner

lmao at getting a degree in japanese because you like anime

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

lmao at getting a degree in japanese because you like anime

not just one, but two. he also wore a bucket hat all day every day

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
welp we got 26 pages in who wants to guess how long the next programming language thread will last

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Hey guys could I please have your opinions on matlab language ide of the future

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

re: programming languages

so i'm taking that online compilers class and during yesterday's lecture he showed three examples of archaic programming languages with ambiguity that can gently caress with lexical analysis

fortran, pl/1

guess the third one

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
asm

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Werthog posted:

so i'm taking that online compilers class and during yesterday's lecture he showed three examples of archaic programming languages with ambiguity that can gently caress with lexical analysis

fortran, pl/1

guess the third one

cobol? i signed up for that class but i haven't looked at any of the material yet. how is it?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the answer is c++

and it's kinda cool so far but they're not real far into it yet. first actual assignments were posted yesterday so if you want in now's the time

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

the answer is c++

and it's kinda cool so far but they're not real far into it yet. first actual assignments were posted yesterday so if you want in now's the time

what's the ambiguity in C++?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

what's the ambiguity in C++?

ambiguity's probably the wrong word for it (this is why i'm taking the class, i want to ~learn~) but the example he used was that for a long time compilers saw the closing >s in a nested template declaration (e.g. list<vector<int>>) as the stream operator and you had to put whitespace in there to make it work

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Werthog posted:

fortran, pl/1

guess the third one

compiler design is rad, getting my compiler to the point where ti could produce an actual .exe file was one of the most satisfying experiences of my entire life

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

https://www.coursera.org/course/compilers if anybody else is interested

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

ambiguity's probably the wrong word for it (this is why i'm taking the class, i want to ~learn~) but the example he used was that for a long time compilers saw the closing >s in a nested template declaration (e.g. list<vector<int>>) as the stream operator and you had to put whitespace in there to make it work

don't they still do that

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

don't they still do that

he said most compilers had fixed it by now, i didn't try it myself

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i don't have anything newer than gcc 4.2 which still gives me an error

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
it actually knows what the problem is, though

error: `>>' should be `> >' within a nested template argument list

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
taking the class too, really excited to write a compiler. i've written a single-cycle MIPS CPU in vhdl but i hosed off during my compilers class so this is going to be good for me

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

ahhh spiders posted:

:qqsay:

Gogey posted:

Hey guys could I please have your opinions on matlab language ide of the future

excel/vba on top of matlab and oracle is what our model guys use to build and test scenarios, very powerful and matlab's still the market leader by far even if alternatives are nicer/cheaper to work with

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
excellent, no rebuttal from confirmed old crank Internaut. as usual

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ahhh spiders posted:

apparently the c++ committee had long discussions about that before someone finally mentioned that instead of throwing an error they could tweak the parser state to accept it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

having trouble understanding why this would possibly be the correct behavior unless there was a valid way of using the stream operator within a nested template argument list, apart from spergy "when in doubt, fail" attitudes