Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Factor Mystic posted:

You can invert the locations, if you really really want to. Eg, put the actual files in Skydrive and symlink the old location to the skydrive location. This assumes that whatever apps that are going to use those files don't also rely on file update notifications.

Dropbox is the same way, but at least Skydrive picked up my new symlinks immediately without a restart, whereas I find myself restarting Dropbox all the time.

It's probably easier just to periodically restart the app.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I deleted the symlinks, moved the folders and recreated the symlinks in the opposite direction in about 5 minutes, and now syncing appears to be working well. I just tested and synctoy seems to be tolerant of the new symlinked structure without modification as well. I ended up using junctions /j but I don't know if they're preferable to /d. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

EdEddnEddy posted:

A can of air in the vents hasn't helped any? (Or a replacement fan if that need be the case?) Laptop heating issues can be fixed pretty easy these days.

On top of that, if it isn't a heating issue, you havent somehow switched the power profile to power saving or something have you? That would pull the cpu down to power saving clocks and keep it there to save battery.

I have a Centrino Duo (Pre Core 2) laptop that has been my video encoder machine for years and it continues to work fantastic. Hell the Atom powered netbooks get hotter idle then this thing does under load.

Like I said, it has no battery and the cord is damaged all to hell. It's almost certainly a power issue.

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran

Factor Mystic posted:

Have you seen HUD Weather?

I'm looking for something with at least a few days of forecast.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

mowhonic posted:

I'm looking for something with at least a few days of forecast.

I use the Weather Underground gadget (http://www.wunderground.com/download/vista.asp), if you expand it down it will show the next three day's forecast (and it stays that way over reboots)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Anyone know what program this icon is part of? I recognize it as being something useful that someone I know uses, but I can't remember who or what. No results from tineye or reverse GIS.

Barnsey
Apr 19, 2005
Anything good out there that would help me catalog my DVD collection? Maybe use IMDB some how to get genres or something?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
What software do I use to clone my old 80GB SSD to my new 240 GB SSD?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have Windows 7 x64, and lately, using Skype makes the volume for foobar in the mixer go down, even after closing Skype. I know that lowering the volume of lower-priority programs is a thing in Windows now, but is there a way I can make it revert the volume after closing Skype, or barring that, make it just not lower foobar's volume (since I pause it anyway)?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

hooah posted:

I have Windows 7 x64, and lately, using Skype makes the volume for foobar in the mixer go down, even after closing Skype. I know that lowering the volume of lower-priority programs is a thing in Windows now, but is there a way I can make it revert the volume after closing Skype, or barring that, make it just not lower foobar's volume (since I pause it anyway)?

Sounds like this is what you're looking for:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I run Windows 7 Professional at work. Does anyone know how I can schedule a task to close a certain application? Basically I lock my machine when I leave at 3PM, and at 4PM every day I'd like it to kill pidgin.exe. Looking in task scheduler I only saw ways to start an application - not close it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Figure out how to use taskkill to kill pidgin, and then run that command from the task scheduler.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Anjow posted:

I run Windows 7 Professional at work. Does anyone know how I can schedule a task to close a certain application? Basically I lock my machine when I leave at 3PM, and at 4PM every day I'd like it to kill pidgin.exe. Looking in task scheduler I only saw ways to start an application - not close it.

Make a scheduled task to do this:

"taskkill /f /im pidgin.exe"

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ace, thanks muchly.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I am planning on updating from xp-32bit to 7-64bit tomorrow, but before I do I have some questions about my plan.

My processor IS 64-bit.

My plan: Buy new 2tb hard drive and disconnect the other 2 hard drives. Connect new hard drive and boot with installation disc in.
Install Windows 7 on the new 2tb hard drive.
Install 16 gb of ram that I buy tomorrow.
Reconnect my old two hard drives and set the hard drive that windows xp was installed to as slave drive instead of the master.

Will I run in to problems booting the computer with the old xp install on it if the drive isn't the master drive anymore? The old XP is installed on a partition labelled C:/. The new Win7 will be installed to the new drive and labelled F:/ if I can do that from the Win7 install screen. If I can't rename the new drive, will windows automatically rename the old drive when it is reinstalled?

Thanks

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Rashomon posted:

What software do I use to clone my old 80GB SSD to my new 240 GB SSD?

clonezilla is a good choice if you've got a spare flash drive laying around. windows backup with the "include system image" option checked will also work.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looking for a decent utility to create some ipad friendly files, I assume Handbrake is still the tool to use?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Brekelefuw posted:

I am planning on updating from xp-32bit to 7-64bit tomorrow, but before I do I have some questions about my plan.

My processor IS 64-bit.

My plan: Buy new 2tb hard drive and disconnect the other 2 hard drives. Connect new hard drive and boot with installation disc in.
Install Windows 7 on the new 2tb hard drive.
Install 16 gb of ram that I buy tomorrow.
Reconnect my old two hard drives and set the hard drive that windows xp was installed to as slave drive instead of the master.

Will I run in to problems booting the computer with the old xp install on it if the drive isn't the master drive anymore? The old XP is installed on a partition labelled C:/. The new Win7 will be installed to the new drive and labelled F:/ if I can do that from the Win7 install screen. If I can't rename the new drive, will windows automatically rename the old drive when it is reinstalled?

Thanks

I can't think of any reason you can't do this with all the drives installed the whole time. Install Win7 where you want it, boot into it, and remove the XP installation from the boot settings in msconfig.

Edit: should I take the master/slave talk to mean that you're still using PATA drives?

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 29, 2012

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Toast Museum posted:

I can't think of any reason you can't do this with all the drives installed the whole time. Install Win7 where you want it, boot into it, and remove the XP installation from the boot settings in msconfig.

Edit: should I take the master/slave talk to mean that you're still using PATA drives?

Maybe I am mis-using the terms. I mean boot drive and non boot drives. These are normal SATA drives.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have a large amount of media on my server. My find wants me to catalogue it.

What is the best program to do this?

Ideally the output should be in csv or ppv or xls etc.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Steakandchips posted:

I have a large amount of media on my server. My find wants me to catalogue it.

What is the best program to do this?

Ideally the output should be in csv or ppv or xls etc.
What sort of details do you need to record? Would FileList be enough?

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
I'm trying to find a screensaver/slideshow program that works with multiple monitors.

The problem I'm having is finding something that will let me have a different source folder for each monitor AND will automatically update when changes are made to the contents of the folders. Also need the images to fit to fullscreen without any text or transitions.

Any ideas?

Edit: There are two monitors.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Check out DisplayFusion or Ultramon, they're not free but they both have 30 day trials.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
I'm trying to figure out an easy way to see which video files have subtitles, and preferably, for which languages. Using the shell/explorer would be easiest, but if there's some media browser that does it out there too, that would work I guess.

Any thoughts?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

This is vague but somewhere around here someone recommended an MD5 tool for windows that added a quick md5 calculator to the right click/context menu.

Anyone know what that is/recommendations?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sylink posted:

This is vague but somewhere around here someone recommended an MD5 tool for windows that added a quick md5 calculator to the right click/context menu.

Anyone know what that is/recommendations?

http://implbits.com/HashTab.aspx

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hashcheck, hashtab, hashjustaboutanythingreally

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Hashcheck, hashtab, hashjustaboutanythingreally

Also HashTools :D

http://www.binaryfortress.com/HashTools/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Barnsey posted:

Anything good out there that would help me catalog my DVD collection? Maybe use IMDB some how to get genres or something?

I use DVD Profiler, and it works amazingly well. Just type in the UPC and it adds it, along with images and a ton of info.

Venetir
May 19, 2009
Hey everyone! I need some software advice for a friend who runs an appraising company. He has the need to label google maps screenshots a LOT but typically with the same kind of labels (sale 1, sale 2, etc). He has been using snagit but it takes a really long time since he has to create and label an arrow every time. He's looking for something where he can just drag and drop an object, like you would do in excel or powerpoint. I even suggested he use one of those two; however, he has a few pretty computer challenged underlings who experience a great deal of difficulty moving their objects, instead often resizing them and getting really frustrated.

Any advice, folks? I'm at a loss beyond telling him to find someone to make a program from scratch. I've tried searching around quite a bit on google but I fear I may not know enough to be searching with the right terms. Thanks in advance!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Medullah posted:

I use DVD Profiler, and it works amazingly well. Just type in the UPC and it adds it, along with images and a ton of info.

Check out Media Center Master. That program is awesome for getting movie info and such. Just make sure you have some reasonably accurate names on the files before you start the process or it may find something completely off the wall.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Venetir posted:

Hey everyone! I need some software advice for a friend who runs an appraising company. He has the need to label google maps screenshots a LOT but typically with the same kind of labels (sale 1, sale 2, etc). He has been using snagit but it takes a really long time since he has to create and label an arrow every time. He's looking for something where he can just drag and drop an object, like you would do in excel or powerpoint. I even suggested he use one of those two; however, he has a few pretty computer challenged underlings who experience a great deal of difficulty moving their objects, instead often resizing them and getting really frustrated.

Any advice, folks? I'm at a loss beyond telling him to find someone to make a program from scratch. I've tried searching around quite a bit on google but I fear I may not know enough to be searching with the right terms. Thanks in advance!

google earth with the 'marker' tool? not arrows, though...

paint has an arrow icon tool, I"m not sure how much simpler you can make the process.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What is a good walkthrough for imaging and/or cloning (or rather, which one is more preferable?) a Windows installation from an old SSD to a new SSD in the same computer? I have a (gasp) OCZ drive and would like to upgrade to a more reliable Intel model.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Anyone else had Bing Desktop show up as an optional update in Windows Update? It's pretty gross, I even fired off an email to MS who decided to reply with a form letter telling me to contact the Windows Update department about technical problems.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

J33uk posted:

Anyone else had Bing Desktop show up as an optional update in Windows Update? It's pretty gross, I even fired off an email to MS who decided to reply with a form letter telling me to contact the Windows Update department about technical problems.

You can uncheck the box that says "check for new optional Microsoft software", if you don't want to see it.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

You can uncheck the box that says "check for new optional Microsoft software", if you don't want to see it.

Lovely stuff! Thanks for that, although it's still pretty gross that Windows Update is getting used for stuff like this. I mean with the whole herd immunity ideal surely you'd want to keep WU as clean as possible.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

J33uk posted:

Lovely stuff! Thanks for that, although it's still pretty gross that Windows Update is getting used for stuff like this. I mean with the whole herd immunity ideal surely you'd want to keep WU as clean as possible.

It's actually a part of Microsoft Update though I'll admit even pointing this out is kinda pedantic. Anyway, you (or whichever administrator configured your system) opted into this by going to the Microsoft Update site and checking the box and accepting the UAC prompt. I don't think OEM's even turn this on by default, but I may be mistaken. The point is, it's opt-in and you or your agent opted at some point in the past.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It also updates any other Microsoft applications you might have installed, like Office, or any Visual Studio stuff (including Visual Studio redstributables that come with a lot of games) and other such useful stuff.

It's optional, so just don't install it and call it a day.

But it is still kind of lovely.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

It also updates any other Microsoft applications you might have installed, like Office, or any Visual Studio stuff (including Visual Studio redstributables that come with a lot of games) and other such useful stuff.

It's optional, so just don't install it and call it a day.

But it is still kind of lovely.

You can also hide stuff you aren't interested in so it will quit bugging you about it.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

It's actually a part of Microsoft Update though I'll admit even pointing this out is kinda pedantic. Anyway, you (or whichever administrator configured your system) opted into this by going to the Microsoft Update site and checking the box and accepting the UAC prompt. I don't think OEM's even turn this on by default, but I may be mistaken. The point is, it's opt-in and you or your agent opted at some point in the past.

Oh I'm sure I did, it's just there's usually enough useful stuff in there (like HID driver updates and little things like that) that the optional updates have been pretty useful before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

What is a good walkthrough for imaging and/or cloning (or rather, which one is more preferable?) a Windows installation from an old SSD to a new SSD in the same computer? I have a (gasp) OCZ drive and would like to upgrade to a more reliable Intel model.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3137721&pagenumber=394#post403110373