Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If you know what you're doing and scan literally everything the moment you see it, it's possible to do the Monster Book in a single playthrough.

The Collector's Book is possible on one playthrough too.

I was such a masochist when I bought this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Some Numbers posted:

If you know what you're doing and scan literally everything the moment you see it, it's possible to do the Monster Book in a single playthrough.

The Collector's Book is possible on one playthrough too.

I was such a masochist when I bought this game.

yeah I didn't quite subject myself to that. I did a playthrough where I just looked up Secret Missions, nothing else. I figured playthrough #2 would be with a guide in hand, doing all the sidequests, getting all the rest, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Gods some of the sidequests are utter asses to do. Whats that? Next part of the story is in Dahngrest? Welp, time to faff off to the other side of the world! because if you do go there, you miss the window that the little scene shows up in! gently caress.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Psion posted:

yeah I didn't quite subject myself to that. I did a playthrough where I just looked up Secret Missions, nothing else. I figured playthrough #2 would be with a guide in hand, doing all the sidequests, getting all the rest, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

I actually played it one and a half times with a friend of mine and got so addicted that I had to get my own copy.

Since I'd already done the plot, I decided to go hardcore with Kouli's guide.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zebrin posted:

Gods some of the sidequests are utter asses to do. Whats that? Next part of the story is in Dahngrest? Welp, time to faff off to the other side of the world! because if you do go there, you miss the window that the little scene shows up in! gently caress.

The Brionac quest is a pain even by Tales standards. I have no idea how anyone could pull it off without a guide, since it would require you to more or less check every area and talk to every person in the world after every semi-important plot event.

Roobanguy posted:

This and what happens a bit later in the story legitimately made me a bit mad.

Also I can't wait for the LP to get to what this guy is talking about in hopes that someone can tell me what the gently caress happened there

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 7, 2012

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just have to say that I love how Tison fights.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I found out a friend of mine who likes tales games has never played Vesperia while discussin going through Graces. I kinda want to play that, too, but...

Quick step..

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
Wow, after rewatching the skit with Raven talking about the metaphor between the mountain and his heart, it makes a whole lot more sense in of him being he usual self.

Also when Yuri talked about cutting in infection and later calling Phaeroh out on planning to do the same thing. It bothered me that he was being a hypocrite. I forget if he ever had this issue dealt with or not.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I missed out on filling the Monster Book, again, because I didn't scan one of the dozen identical knight-type enemies. This game can be such an rear end hole.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

So I missed out on filling the Monster Book, again, because I didn't scan one of the dozen identical knight-type enemies. This game can be such an rear end hole.

If you can't see an enemy's HP, you haven't scanned it.

Doesn't seem hard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Adelheid Stark posted:

Doesn't seem hard.

I never bothered looking at their HP because I thought I'd scanned them already, on account of them looking identical to at least three other enemies I'd already scanned!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Adelheid Stark posted:

Doesn't seem hard.

The thing is, like Oxxidation points out, is the game likes to throw palette-identical enemies at you. Occasionally, ones which show up in one area in the game -- one you can't get back to later. So you basically can't forget a single time to lens your enemies, and you have to check even when they look the same as something you've scanned before. It can be tedious.

I don't remember if the knights were one of these but basically on my #2 playthrough I am magic lensing EVERYTHING.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Repede does eventually get a skill that's useful for seeing what you've scanned and what you haven't, but I think it's after Baction, so yeah, that is kind of bullshitty.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The weird thing about this is that the game is for the most part pretty good about that, the majority of dungeons will have the same enemies at all times, including areas where it really makes no sense for some enemies to still be there later in the game (such as Heracles or Zaude). And yet for some reason, a couple enemies in Baction disappear after you finish that dungeon! It's really annoying.

On the other hand, all you need to do to confirm if you've scanned an enemy is hold RB for half a second, so it's not that big of a deal. But yeah, it sucks to realize that the one random enemy you've missed is no longer available.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Some Numbers posted:

Repede does eventually get a skill that's useful for seeing what you've scanned and what you haven't, but I think it's after Baction, so yeah, that is kind of bullshitty.

And it's a reason to use Repede, which is totally a pro. Yuri, Repede, Rita, and Karol are gonna be my main group for #2, solely because of your continued insistence Karol is a good healer. I expect good things!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Make sure you put him on Heal and keep his TP up. You will have to run over to him sometimes.

Also, Estelle is probably still slightly better until Barbos.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
I gotta admit, Karol's really impressed me as far as healing goes. He's actually really good at it, especially once he gets access to better healing artes.

My main criticisms are that his range is rather limited compared to Estelle or Raven, and he sometimes needs a little prodding to cure status effects.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Bishop Rodan posted:

I gotta admit, Karol's really impressed me as far as healing goes. He's actually really good at it, especially once he gets access to better healing artes.

My main criticisms are that his range is rather limited compared to Estelle or Raven, and he sometimes needs a little prodding to cure status effects.

I prefer Estelle because she learns the full-party heals. Nightingale and Revitalize heal huge amounts and target nearly all of the battlefield so positioning is never an issue.

While they DO take away a whole bunch of TP per cast, you can lessen the loss if you give her one of those Accessories that restore TP after each battle and the Spirit Healer skill.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The problem that I ran into and the reason I've been white knighting Karol for so long is that while Estelle does have incredibly powerful healing spells, her AI is dumb as a rock.

Karol's isn't.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Watch the cutscene!

Yeah, I mean, she just keeled over. Wasn't expecting that.
I bet she watched over Ba'ul the entire time he was evolving. She probably didn't get much sleep. She probably had no idea when the Hunting Blades would attack, either.
She was puttin' up a brave front, but she must've been near the end of her rope.
She's just dumb. She doesn't know how to express what she's feeling.
We can finish talking with her tomorrow. We should let her sleep now. In fact, I wouldn't mind a little shut-eye myself.

Skit: What to Do with Judith
We still haven't heard Judy's side, so we can't say anything, but she sure caused the guild a major headache, breaking blastias all on her own.
There's no getting around that fact, no matter what her reasons. We have to settle this.
...Man, I hate waiting...

Another opportunity to talk to all our party members arises here, well except Judith. Let's start with Karol.

Yeah. I'm wondering what we should do about her.

It's true that she broke the guild's laws and betrayed us.
I always thought that a guild's strict adherence to its own laws was what kept it together. That there could be no exceptions... no lenience for those who would break the laws. But...
She did what she did to save the world. Judith is destroying blastia because she knows it's the right thing to do, even if it makes people hate her.
Yup... Judith didn't break our laws in order to do something bad. I know this, now. I'm going to talk with her about it and give it some more thought. I'll figure this out eventually.
Oh yeah?
Maybe if I become a little bit more decisive, Nan will listen to me, too...

Next is Estelle.

Sorry to interrupt while you're thinking.

I've wanted to know what it means to be the Child of the Full Moon so the same thing doesn't happen again... I always thought that it was my duty to know. But after what happened to Belius...
That's how everyone is. They do something, they learn, they do something else, they learn more.
You too, Yuri?
Yeah.

Hmmm... There's only one thing I can say for sure.
What's that?

...I really wonder...

And Raven.

What're you whining about, old man? Why are you past your prime?

Blastia created with techniques that should've been lost in the war are still active... Do you know what this means?
...I guess someone who survived the war brought either blastia or those techniques back with him.
If that person was still usin' the blastia even though he knew it was harmful ta the earth... Someone like that...would have to be quite the villain indeed.
Old man, don't tell me you...

I wouldn't do something like that even on my worst day.
Heh, I was just trying to trick you into giving yourself away. You're a slippery one!
Son of a...when're ya gonna learn some respect for yer elders!

The last one outside is Patty.

Aye... I'll be careful. ...Yuri, the world is pretty big.
Yeah... We flew this high, and yet we still can't see what's on the other side.
With the world being this big, it makes sense that there are lots of things I don't know out there.

You think you'd be okay even without your memories?
I mean, I'm not the only one that feels worried and uneasy because I don't know the truth. Everybody's got their own worries. Even you, Yuri. And Estelle.
...You think so?
That's why everyone's here together, right? That's why Judy came back, too.
And that's why you're coming along too... That it?
I don't want to be alone.
You're pretty frank today.
I'm always frank.
Really? I guess so.

Rita's inside along with Repede and Judith.

Yes. It's definitely cut with a different formula than a usual core. It looks like what she said was true.
She said she wasn't too good at lying, after all.
To discover that the new technique you created was bad for the world, after what must've been years of research... I can't imagine how the person who created the Hermes technique must've felt.
Well, what if it had been you?

But I wouldn't destroy the blastia like that...

What the?
N-nothing!
Arr... If only things weren't so complicated...

Checking on Judith triggers the next scene.

Watch the cutscene!

Morning.
It's a beautiful morning, but... Even as we stand here, the aer is out of balance... And our world may already be dying.

In the past, these slight fluctuations of the aer have not negatively affected our world.

Beings like Phaeroh and Ba'ul--the Entelexeia.
So the Entelexeia were responsible for keeping the aer balanced...
For ages, the Entelexeia have regulated the aer. But the recent increase has been greater than they could control.
Which is bein' caused by the Hermes blastia.
And which is also why you were going around, taking down as many of them as you could.

The path I walk with Ba'ul, to whom I owe my life.
The path you walk...
Now some would even hunt the Entelexeia for apatheia. This has made the mission of the Entelexeia even more difficult.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer. The aer an Entelexeia absorbs becomes condensed within its body over time. When its life is at an end, that condensed aer forms a crystal--an apatheia. That's all I know. I imagine Phaeroh could shed more light on the subject, though.
...So apatheia are crystals of concentrated aer... If that's true, and the energy could be extracted from the apatheia...

Could we really do that?
I...I don't know.

Seriously. We could have avoided all this trouble if you'd just talked to us. Am I wrong?
...Even if you had known... There are things not even you could have prevented.
What do you mean?

Where there was a disturbance, there was sure to be a Hermes blastia... But what I found there was not a blastia... It was a person. That had never happened before.
So it wasn't like you were looking for Estelle in particular back at Heliord.
Yet for some reason, Ba'ul perceived Estelle as a disturbance in the aer. I had to find out why. For the sake of the path I've chosen. It was at that time that Phaeroh first appeared. He seemed to have some idea who Estelle was.

My mission was to destroy all the Hermes blastia.

I made a deal with Phaeroh, and he agreed to grant me some time.
You mean...
If it became apparent that her existence posed too great a threat, then I...

Settle down. Obviously Judith reached a different conclusion.
All right. I get it.

If you can communicate that to Phaeroh somehow... You may learn what you should do.
H-hey, there's no real reason for you to find Phaeroh anymore, right? I mean, we know the Hermes blastia are what's causing the problem and everything. If we just make sure the apatheia don't fall into the wrong hands...

But...
Please try to understand. I have to know more about myself, and take responsibility for who I am.
All right...
Sorry, Yuri... I don't think we can decide what to do about Judith right away...

I need to accept that responsibility myself.
Let's go and find Phaeroh. We'll finally be getting around to one of the first things we set out to do. We can work out the rest once this is finished.

That is where Phaeroh lives. Ba'ul can take us there.
Okay. Let's go. This meeting's been a long time coming.

The game now gives us a short overview on Ba'ul, ie. this game's airship.

Like what?
Ba'ul can only land on the ground in wide, open spaces. So you won't be able to dismount on steep mountain ranges or in narrow canyons.
Can't he land on water?
Water's no good, either.
Really? He looks like he'd be a good swimmer...
Ha ha, yeah. He'd sink like a rock.
Huh, who knew...?
But that's why we have a ship, right?
Right. If you'd like to get down onto the ocean, let me know. Ba'ul will set our ship down there for us.
Okay, but what should we do when want to fly again?
Use "Ba'ul's Horn" to call him to you.

Ba'ul's... That's all there is to it?
Every Entelexeia has a special region in its brain that can be used for communication with a special power Krityans possess.
Huh. So, we can get a hold of him by using that.
Right.

Skit: Phaeroh
Judith, you're familiar with Phaeroh, aren't you?
Is he really as scary as he seems?
Well, let's see.
Sometimes he's logical, sometimes he's emotional. He can be really scary, or really kind.
All right, that didn't help very much.
One thing's certain. His power is extraordinary, even among the Entelexeia.
Here's hopin' we don't wind up lookin' like poor old Mt. Temza the moment we meet him.
If he can do that to a mountain, there wouldn't be anything left if he turned on us.
I wish you wouldn't joke about scary things like that.
Why should we get scared before we even get there? Especially if he's that strong.
Wish I could take it as lightly as you and Yuri...

Alright, we can now fly around the world as we please! Of course, this means sidequests!

Well, technically. I actually went and did a lot of sidequesting now, but I suspect everyone is more interested in confronting Phaeroh. So let's show that first!

Phaeroh's Crag is, indeed, in the middle of the desert, pretty close to where we just were in Temza. We can just simply fly there and enter.

Should be. I wasn't able to see him when we came to the desert, but I think this is where we can meet him.
I hope nothing bad will happen... What if he suddenly attacks us?
I can't make any guarantees. I don't think we'll have a say in the matter.
Karol, are you okay?
No, I'm not okay... I should go...
Phaeroh sure did pick a bleak place ta live in, dontcha think?

Why did it turn into this rocky desert?
Hmmm, I don't know that much.
Estelle, are you really going to meet him? Even though you could be killed?
Yes. I've already...made my peace with this decision.

Do you have a problem with meeting Phaeroh?
I just think it'll be hard on her to hear what he has to say. But it's too late to turn back now. We've come this far, after all.

Not much to do here but running along the path.

Watch the cutscene!

Phaeroh. You are here, aren't you?

Gyaaah!!

Insipid poison, you appear before me at last!

For what reason have you come to me? Surely you are aware that I could end your existence with a mere thought.
Heh. You talk pretty big, don't you? If you really want a fight, I'd hate to disappoint you.
Yuri, no! Everyone, please wait!
Estelle!

I am afraid. But I'm even more afraid of dying without knowing who I really am. Belius told me I needed to meet you to learn about my destiny. I have to know just what that destiny is. I understand that I am a threat to the Entelexeia. But you said that I am a poison to this world... What is this power I have? Just who is the Child of the Full Moon? If it is true that my existence cannot be tolerated...

But I at least deserve to know why it is I have to die! Please tell me! I beg of you!

So there was an aer krene here...
But what happened? Why did it change?

As to why the aer ran rampant... The answer lies with the poison brought by the Child of the Full Moon.
Huh...?

Huh?

So if Estelle can use her healing artes without the aid of any blastia... She must possess a formula in her very being that lets her convert aer into energy. Judith was searching for blastia that used a particular kind of formula... So...this special formula Estelle has must also consume massive amounts of aer... Which causes the aer krene to become more active and pump out more aer than they should...
I had hoped my hypothesis...would have been wrong...
Then, I...
It is as she has said...

In so doing, the imbalance of aer in this world is furthered. For the planet, such an existence can only be called a poison.

If the problem's with Estelle, then it's for us to solve. You have no place in our affairs.
The gravity of this situation is beyond your grasp.

It would at least eliminate one problem.
Phaeroh, at Heliord I stopped myself, and again at Dahngrest I stopped you. What I thought was a blastia turned out to be a human. Before I realized it, I had lost my way. I never thought this child could be as great a danger as you had said.
And due to your confusion, I granted you the time necessary to see things as they are.

Hmm, not sure I understand all this, but if her power's the problem, why can't she just not use it?
There can be no guarantee she will not try to use the power.

Someday she will surely use her power to help someone.
However, as long as she keeps that spirit of compassion, she cannot only be seen as harmful. She is not like a blastia. I know that you can feel the difference.
...Compassion alone will not save this world.

But why doesn't that world have a place for Estelle?
It is sometimes necessary to remove a part to save the whole.

We have endured the anxiety of existence for far greater a span than you can conceive. Such words mean nothing from those who call this world home for but a fleeting moment!
Phaeroh, please listen. The important thing is finding a way to stop the excessive aer, correct? We still have time left to search for such a thing.
Judith...
And if...if the effects of Estelle's power reach their absolute limit...

You should have no complaint with this.
H-hey Judith, are you serious?!
I'm sure Brave Vesperia will come up with something before that happens, right?
What?! I...um... Yeah, yeah of course we will!
Score one for Judith. So that settles it. If we humans are to blame for Estelle's problem and bringing on the apocalypse, then it's up to us to make things right.

...You have changed. If you were still as before...
Have I? That is nice to hear.

If the formulas are causing the excessive aer... Then there must've been times when this happened in the past. I mean, the blastia were a product of an ancient civilization.

If any yet can speak of what occurred in the days of old, it is they.

He's gone...

Judith...you, too.
No problem, but hey...
What?

What the hell was that?
...I'm sorry.
I don't want to hear that again.
I'm sorry...

Some people dislike this scene because they argue that Yuri is a hypocrite here, and yeah he kinda is; though there is a pretty big difference between Estelle, who had no idea that her powers caused harm and just wants to help, and Ragou/Cumore, who know full well that they're assholes and enjoy it. I still like this scene and think it works pretty well.

Watch the cutscene!

We were pretty lucky that bruiser was in a mood for conversation. Poor Raven's heart can't handle that sorta stuff anymore.

That's what I can't figure out.
I imagine Phaeroh was conflicted as well. He hid himself from us in the desert to see just what we were made of.
Huh. Maybe he wasn't as bad as we thought, after all?
You might be right. I get the feeling he'd do whatever's necessary when push comes to shove.
That sounds like you.
...Maybe.
But what are we gonna do, Yuri? You heard what he said.

That's easier said than done. We're pretty much at square one, ya know.
There's no doubt that the formulas are related somehow to the aer getting used up. We need to find out about the ancient blastia, and if they went berserk or not. If we had that kind of information, it might give us a clue...

Or at least that's what Phaeroh said.

In other words, we need to ask a Krityan who is still familiar with the old stories.
Yeah. The Kritya are often credited as the inventors of the blastia...
There isn't much left of the Krityan city of Temza, though. Things might be different if we had somewhere else to look.
The hidden city of Myorzo. It is far older than Temza, and the birthplace of the Kritya. The first blastia also originated there.
Really? Well, whaddya know. You wouldn't happen ta know where this Myorzo might be, would ya, darlin'?
Hmm...

There was a Krityan in Aspio. I'm sure they mentioned something about it.
Do you think that person might still be there?
Well, there's no harm in checking it out.
Judith...are you coming with us?
...I should. We still have the issue of the guild to straighten out.

Well, not exactly, next time is gonna be the sidequesting I skipped here. See you then!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 9, 2016

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

What the hell was that?
I don't want to hear that again.

This was the exact instant my love for this game and Yuri solidified. Maybe it is just because of how tired I am of the stupid "sacrifice myself to save the world" nonsense that pops up in anime/JRPGS. But the fact that Yuri flat out calls bullshit on it made me so happy with him, this game, and its writers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My problem isn't so much that Yuri's changing his mind, as it is with the execution. Phaeroh repeats Yuri's justification for offing Ragou and Cumore to the letter and Yuri doesn't even blink, nor does the game ever bother to point out the similarity.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Oxxidation posted:

My problem isn't so much that Yuri's changing his mind, as it is with the execution. Phaeroh repeats Yuri's justification for offing Ragou and Cumore to the letter and Yuri doesn't even blink, nor does the game ever bother to point out the similarity.

I do admit that was a bit jarring to hear Yuri's rebuttal not half an hour after he used much the same language as justification for potentially killing Judith. But the devil, I think, is in the details: Yuri can talk about toughening up, but the fact of the matter is that he believes in killing the unjust, those who profit off the misery of others and enjoy it. He never considers Killing Estelle, because she's a compassionate soul, and backs off of Judith once she reveals that her purpose was to stave off the Apocalypse.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bear in mind, there would be a difference between Yuri killing Estelle, who could (and now has) been made aware of why there's a problem and is going to take responsibility for it and try to minimize the consequences, and killing Ragou and Cumore, who don't give a poo poo about being assholes and who show no signs of taking or being forced to take responsibility for their crimes.

There's a plot development later on that, alongside Yuri's eventual reaction to it, further elaborate somewhat on this difference, if you squint.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Honestly, the first thing that came to my mind was this:

Ba'ul: Don't I get a say in this?

I also have to agree that Yuri not noticing his own reasoning used against him was jarring.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Yeah my problem isn't so much the hypocrisy but rather the fact that it's never really addressed. There could be a pretty interesting scene where someone calls Yuri out. Yuri, being who he is, would more than likely admit to the flaws in his argument, but he'd probably also defend it by pointing out the differences between Estelle and Cumore/Ragou's actions.

Yuri hates it when innocent people are hurt by the evil and corrupt. Estelle is hurting people through ignorance.

Actually putting it that way doesn't make it sound a whole lot better...

It's an interesting dilemma.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Estelle gets some pretty heavy poo poo dropped on her here. Every time she heals someone she is effectively pushing the world closer to apocalypse.

How do the Entelexia regulate aer flow, anyway? Do they just address undesirable excesses of flow through the judicious application of shitwrecking?

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Glazius posted:

Estelle gets some pretty heavy poo poo dropped on her here. Every time she heals someone she is effectively pushing the world closer to apocalypse.

How do the Entelexia regulate aer flow, anyway? Do they just address undesirable excesses of flow through the judicious application of shitwrecking?

That appears to be the case.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

The monster starts sucking in the aer around it.
It ate the aer...?
[...]
The monster we just saw somehow normalized the aer krene that was out of control...
Adressed in Weasand of Cados

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I really hope this one isn't dead... been about 10 days since the last post. This is a good lp.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeah sorry, had a lot of stuff to do lately. I'll probably get an update up tomorrow or so.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Zebrin posted:

I really hope this one isn't dead... been about 10 days since the last post. This is a good lp.

LP's aren't going to be dead after 10 days without a post...usually. After like 2-3 months however...

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Skit: Judith's Communication
I never imagined you'd be able to speak with the Entelexeia.
Well, I use a Krityan technique to do it.
...Wait, do I detect a little jealousy?
...Hmm, maybe.
...Right, Repede?
Woof!
Yuri...you want to talk to Repede?
I think the two of you understand each other well enough already...
I've got him pretty well figured out, but I don't know if he understands me.
*Woof!* *Woof woof!*
...I think he feels the same way.

Alright, sidequesting time! Ba'ul opens up a lot of questing, though unless you either use a guide or are really really thorough with checking places, you'll probably miss half of them. Or most of them if you just continue the story, as a lot aren't available forever.

The PS3 version added something neat that I kinda wish the 360 version had as well: As soon as you have access to Ba'ul, you can teleport to most towns and dungeons by opening the world map, selecting the desired location, and pressing L3. Very useful. On the 360 version, you just have to manually fly everywhere.

Anyway, our first stop is the Shaikos Ruins.

Those guys are from Ruins' Gate.
Hearing about Ruins' Gate again makes me think of Regaey...
Don't forget that the Regaey we saw was an imposter.
Regaey was Yeager.
Wait, I thought that Yeager was just disguising himself as the real Regaey.
Really?

Mark: Archie, you've found a part of a blastia housing.
Archie: This is so awesome, Mark. I'll bet it's a priceless historical artifact.
Mark: Let's get this back to Aspio in a hurry and show it to the researchers.
Archie: Don't forget to write your name on it to prove you're the one who found it.

Archie: Wh-what's going on?!
Who do you think you are, vandalizing a valuable specimen like that?
Archie: It's my natural right as the one who found it.
You idiot! What are you trying to do?! Ack! ...It's not coming off! Okay, you two, sit your butts down, NOW!

I'm going to explain to these half-wits the importance of treating blastia with a little respect!
Mark: Look, Archie, I think the little mage is going to give us a presentation.
Archie: Hmph... Why's she so high and mighty...?
Shut up and listen!

Time passes...

...Got it?!
Mark: Yes, ma'am.
Archie: I've never heard so many words come out of such a little person...
Mark: ...I think we'd be better off doing as she says.

Still, they seem really harmless.
I guess you're right... But it's the well-meaning idiots that sometimes do the most damage.
Aw, come on. Lighten up.

To continue that quest, we need to go to Nordopolica.

However, on the way there, I run into a different scene.

Merchant: What did you just say, you pea-brained peon?!
Warrior: drat it! You'd better watch your mouth...!
This city hasn't changed a bit...

Warrior: Who the hell are you...!
I am Natz, of Palestralle. I'm the provisional Duke. I do not know the cause of your argument, but I shall help you resolve it.
Warrior: Resolve it?
What's the point of crossing swords out in public like this? If you have a problem, you should settle it like men, in the Coliseum. If you beat him in battle, not only will you resolve your dispute, but your reputation will grow, as well. What do you say?
Warrior: Son of a... I don't have time for something like that...
Oh? Then I'll use my guild authority to have you locked up for disturbance of the peace. How does that sound?
Warrior: drat it... This isn't worth the trouble! Hmpf...

Merchant: Thank you very much, Natz.
I don't know what happened here, but if you'd fought, you would've been given the same punishement. Please, be more careful in the future.
Merchant: Yes... I-I'm sorry...
Good luck with your business.

It looks like things've gotten tough in town since Belius passed away.
What happened with the Duce was unfortunate... But nonetheless. We couldn't go on forever depending on her to solve our problems. This is a town of humans. It's up to us to come together and figure out how to live together in peace.
So you've been going around as the Duce's temporary replacement?
Indeed. There will be a vote soon, to determine who will officially end up taking her responsibilities... Who knows how that will turn out.
I feel like Nordopolica's people have already chosen you to lead them. That's how it seems to me, at least.

...It never ends...

Maybe we can sit down over some tea and share stories.
Definitely...

Natz runs off.

Wow, he's got it tough...♪
Yeah, it can't be easy dealing with all these crazies day in and day out.
I hope he hangs in there...

Anyway.

What, we can't buy things from you without an introduction?
Merchant?: I'm afraid not. I'm not quite like the other merchants, you see.
You mean you're different from the people in Fortune's Market?
Merchant?: Yes, yes, most correct. I am Mercedes Dunkel, black marketeer extraordinaire.
Black marketeer?
Mercedes Dunkel: A salesman for Leviathan's Claw. I travel the wide world, selling my weapons wherever I set up shop.
Leviathan's Claw... So you're one of Yeager's henchmen...?!
Mercedes Dunkel: Ah hah hah. Henchman has such a villainous ring to it.
What sort of things do you have in stock?
Jeez, Judith. Go ahead and make friends, why don't ya.
I beg your pardon, but when did knowing one's enemy become a bad thing?
Mercedes Dunkel: Hah hah, I suppose I could show such an honest young lady my wares. I can't sell you anything, though. Here. This is a hoplon blastia that can spray a target with flames up to 100 meters away. It's actually an antique from quite a ways back, but I've kept it in top shape so it still works fine.

Mercedes Dunkel: Yeah, must belong to whoever dug it out of the ground.
Hey, those guys from Ruins' Gate in the Shaikos Ruins were writing their names on the stuff they'd found.
What's worse, this thing's got that idiot's name on it, too.

You know something don't you, old man?!
Well, the Don's got this little hunch ya see, that Yeager and Regaey are one and the same person.
No way. You don't really think they're both one guy...?
That doesn't change the fact that Leviathan's Claw and Ruins' Gate're two different guilds, though.
But imperial law forbids the trafficking of blastia.
That's got nothin' ta do with the Union. Fortune's Market's about the only guild that follows the Empire's laws. Business and all, ya' see...

We have been making a bit of a name for ourselves, I guess.
Mercedes Dunkel: A man in black, a princess-like young lady, a mage, a man from the Union, a young boy, a femme fatale, and a dog. I received word from Yeager to treat you with extreme caution should we meet. And with that I'll be bringing our little business engagement to a close.

Mercedes Dunkel: H-hold on, now, do you enjoy threatening poor, defenseless merchants?
Oh stop, you have all these weapons don't you?
Mercedes Dunkel: These blastia are my inventory. I can't just use them whenever I like.
He's not worth the trouble. Taking care of this guy won't put a stop to their blastia smuggling.
Well, if it gets ta be a problem for the Union, they'll be sure ta lay down the law. Ya know, like with Barbos.
Mercedes Dunkel: Just like the man says. So if it's all right with you, I'm going to get back to earning a living, here.

Depending on Yeager's next move, we might be forced into action ourselves, before too long.

Well, I guess that clears up that question.

While we're in Nordopolica, the coliseum opened up its gates and offers 30-, 50- and 80-man melee rounds. However, I'm saving those for later.

The next stop is Mantaic.

To be specific, this guy right here.

Union Member: Hey there, Raven! Your friend, there...that's, uh, that's the little guild-hopper, right?
The name's Karol! I'm a member of a guild called Brave Vesperia now.
Union Member: Ohh, Brave Vesperia, huh? So what business does your guild have with us?
Is this the Union outpost?
Union Member: Yeah. Looking for a job? Well, let's see...this is about all I've got at the moment...

What's this supposed to mean? There's no detailed information here.
Well, it is the Union. They're probably all going to be pretty standard jobs.
Union Member: Should be just about right for one of your first jobs. It pays 4200 Gald.
Hold on a sec. Brave Vesperia isn't a member of the Union, ya know.
Union Member: Huh? You're unaffiliated? Okay, so with the 30% finder's fee, that brings your take down to 3000 Gald. What do you think? You want it?

You'd think a percentage fee wouldn't round the result to a nice value, but alright.

Man, 30%... You could've just kept quiet, Raven...
That's just the way it works. It'd be worse if they found out later.
It's fine. I mean, we're already here, right? Let's do it, Karol.
Union Member: All right. Now go talk to the client. They'll fill you in on all the details of the job. Yu's a guy who usually hangs out around the bridge near the entrance of town.
All right, let's go and talk to him!

Are you...Mr. Seron?

Yu: Are you from the Union...?
Yeah, we're a guild, Brave Vesperia.
Yu: Brave Ves... Hmm, I haven't heard of you...
Don't worry. We can handle it! You need people to deliver some stuff, right?
Yu: Yes...I'd like someone to take a book to an old friend of mine.
A book?
Yu: Yes, quite an important one. It's a book that holds many memories for us.

We'll make sure to take good care of it.
Yu: Please don't lose it. If that should happen... I'll have you pay compensation for the lost item through the Union.
Karol said don't worry, right? So don't worry.
And who might this friend of yours be?

Yu: I think he's probably in one of the cities on Tolbyccia or Desier. Please take this crest.

Yu: If you carry this with you, he should recognize it and call out to you himself. "A fiery soul into a sea of flames." You'll know it's Nobis if he says this to you.
Okay, got it...

Yu: Thank you for your help.

It's an oath for taking a new job. It's proof that you accept the client's request.
Interesting.
All right, let's go look for Nobis!
Woof!

Nobis is in Capua Torim's inn.

Nobis: A fiery soul into a sea of flames...
That's... That's what Mr. Seron said...

Nobis: Indeed. You were sent to find me?
Yes, we brought you something from Yu Seron.
Nobis: You haven't looked at what's inside, have you?
Huh? No, of course not...
Nobis: Very well. If that is all...

Nobis: Ah, okay. Let's see...you can take this to him as proof of delivery.

Nobis: Well then, say hello to Yu for me.
Of course. Thanks!

We're not done yet. We still gotta take this proof of delivery back to Yu.
And then we'll finally be finished with the job.
I'm glad we didn't lose the book before we got it to him!
That would've been bad. I don't think you could just go out and buy a replacement for that book.
How would you even lose something like that?
Maybe if ya went ta the bathroom and accidentally left it by the sink when ya washed your hands?
Eww, that's dirty.
What's dirty? You're washin' yer hands!
We need to make sure not to lose the proof of delivery, too.
Okay, enough talking. Let's get moving!
Yeah, let's go to Mantaic and see the client.
Yikes, are we going back all the way?
The sooner, the better. Don't you want to tell the client?
There's no need for a rush. Talking of things like this, the more you wait, the more you joy.
Is that true... ?
Let's see the client when we stop by at Mantaic later sometime.
Woof!

Back to Mantaic...

Watch the cutscene!

Here, look... This is proof we finished the job.
Yu: Oh, indeed. That's Nobis's, all right. Wow, thanks so much for your help! And here is the pay I promised you...
If you ever need anything else, don't hesitate to call on Brave Vesperia!♪

It was just a normal book. Looked like it had something ta do with economics.
Did you look inside, Raven?
So what if I did?
I mean, it's fine, but...what if the client had hidden something private in the book?
Oh, it's no big deal. No harm done if it didn't get in the way of the job.
An economics book, eh... Doesn't sound too racy.
It would've been funny if some romance novel was the proof of two guys' friendship!
Really...?

So this what it's like to work in a guild.
Yeah. If we were the Hunting Blades, we'd probably get jobs to exterminate monsters. Fortune's Market usually does stuff like transport products over long distances.
So, Brave Vesperia's in the delivery business, then?

*Howl*, woof woof!
We can think it over while we try out a few different kinds of work.
Yeah, sure!

Not particularly interesting, but this is a fairly lengthy questline and you need to do them all in order.

While we're in Mantaic, let's enter the inn.

I'm not sure if they left the town, but they did spend the night here last night, and I'm fairly sure that their leader was your Chief.
Hunting Blades Member: I see.

Oh, he said something about being a member of a guild called the Hunting Blades, I believe. It seems he got separated from the rest of his guild, though.
D-did Nan stay here last night?!
Nan?
Chill out, Karol. You can't expect him to know that.
Sir, members of that guild were staying in this inn, correct?
Yeah, they were here until early this morning.
W-was there a girl with brown hair travelling with them?
Actually, I seem to remember someone like that, yes... She looked like she'd be injured, somehow.

You don't know that for sure. Those guys get into fights all the time.
Hey Yuri, ya think we might be here fer the night? Looks like the kid's a mess. Some relaxation'd be good fer his nerves.
You're sure it's not just that you're tired and want to rest?
Well, there is that, too...
Good idea. Let's get some rest.
Well, you said it!

At night...

Judith... Why are you up? It's so late.
I was just watching the moon...
The moon...
You're worried for that girl?
...Yeah.
You're a nice kid, Karol.
I've...been in so many different guilds... But I ended up doing a cruddy job in all of them and quitting... So all the guilds just gave up on me. But then...Nan...
She invited you into her guild?
Ah...yeah... But we still haven't made up since we got in that fight. I'm sorry... I'm a member of Brave Vesperia now. I shouldn't be thinking about all this.
I don't blame you for it. She's important to you, right?
Er...h-how did you...?

You...you knew?
I've seen you looking at her picture with that silly look on your face several times now.
Oh...I got a friend of mine from the photography guild I used to belong to to take that picture for me.
A little photography on the sly?
N-no...I mean, he just happened to take it as she was passing by... I mean... I guess...it works out to the same thing.
What a naughty boy. But...I don't think it's all that bad, really.
Really...? I, I wonder... Do you think we'll run into her again?
I'm not sure...
No, I know we will... I still have to make up with her!
Heh heh...good luck with that.

Oh...yeah... Thanks, Judith.

Another thing we can do while we're in Mantaic is check out the Kowz guy and the Ant Lion Man again.

You've come again, I see. You missed me, eh?
Nah, we just wanted ta see whatcha were up ta, really.
Oh, so you like me! You really like me!
Hey, don't you ever get hot, dressed up like that?
Hot? Why would I be hot?
Isn't that some sort of weirdo fursuit, or something? It makes me feel itchy just looking at you.
What doooo you mean? I am naked! Can't you tell? I am going au naturel!
I, uhh, err...
Try not to give it too much thought. Now, what's today's item du jour, you might ask? Dadum dadum dadummm... DUM! It's the "Trident!" Tadaaa!

Now now, no need to play dumb, Pheromone-Boy.
Heh heh! Pheromone-Boy...
Pleeeease? ♥
Another item exchange, then?
Exactly, Miss Bouncy! So hand it over!

Yeah, sure, you can have a Trident I guess.

Thank ya, thank ya. Round and round we go! Where we stop...only I know!

Caatch!
Ant Lion Man: As always, thankee! Heh heh!

Even though I know when he's going to come out, he's still quite startling!
So, what'll ya give us this time?
Hmmm, what indeed... Here, you can have this.

He gives us a couple incredients, some Rice, a Potato, an Onion, and a Carrot.

Kind of a bad trade, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Another event in Mantaic can be found by the lake.

Man: It's much bigger, and much deeper. The ocean is bluer than any lake, and prettier, too!
Child A: Fish live in the ocean, right? Where is it?
Child B: Is it far from here?
Man: Yeah, it's a little far from here.
Child A: Aw man! I wanted to go see it!
Man: You can go when you get older. You can get on a big ship and go to other cities, and see all sorts of new stuff!
Child B: Yeah!

To continue this we have to go rest at the inn.

That guy who was playing with the kids...I feel like I've seen him around somewhere...

Man: Hey, thanks for the help back there. And you reproduced the move I used back in Nordopolica perfectly...
I thought it'd be a good way to attract your attention. You're the man who was with those kids down by the lake in the afternoon, right?
Man: Ah, so you noticed. We're two of a kind, you know. Maybe fate's brought us together.
How do you know...

Well, that's not fair. I hardly know anything about you.
Man: Unfortunately, I don't think I really have time for us to get all chummy. But just for tonight, I'll let you ask me one question. Besides my name, that is.
Just tell me why...you've had to get your hands dirty.
Man: Let's just say my reasons are not the same as yours. I'm looking for the man who killed my swordsmanship teacher. I'm just purging the world of a few villains in the meantime.
You don't mind murdering people along your quest?
Man: Just a little collateral damage. But it's who I am.
It's who you are...?
Man: It's fine if you don't understand. Maybe it's better, even. You can still turn back.
What are you talking about...?
Man: I thought I told you, you only get one question. Well, I'm off. I hope that our paths don't cross again.

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about seeing you anytime soon, either.

Last stop for today: Ehmead Hill.

Entering from the west puts us fairly close to the small clearing in the forest, which is where we want to go.

What's with you...?

Hmm...? Hey, that's a cyrtanthus bloom.
You actually know a lot about plants, don't you, old man?
Oh, I dabble here and there.♪
Hmph... So what's that one called?
Hah? One second, it's a...teardrop tulip.
How about that?
Why, um... That's a, uh rainbow flower?

I just happened to not know those.
It looks more like you just happened to know cyrtanthus bloom.
No, no, really--
So, how did you just happen to know about these nightshade flowers?
Argh, listen to me!
Sounds like you've got a special reason.

My friend's room was always full of 'em.
So you have had a couple of friends, then.
You're sayin' that like it surprises ya. Poor old Raven'd just curl up and die if ya left him all alone.
Just what is the correct response when a man starts whining like a mouse, I wonder.
You say, "Oh Raven, you big silly, you're so cute."
Hah...That's not the word I'd use.
Argh...! Judith, darlin' you're cold as ice.
...Good grief.
It's a little like Flynn and Yuri, what with you having a friend in the Knights, and all.
Well now, it can't compare ta the shinin' example of friendship those two young lads've got goin', but yeah. We were pals.

Really? But youth's a fleetin' thing for all of us. That friendship's long past, now.
Oh, did you fight about something?
Hm, I s'pose ya could call it that. Would ya mind pickin' a few of those for me, young miss?
Hmm? Oh, certainly.

And we can find one more event by the cliff.

Watch the cutscene!

What are you...?

...An old friend. A dear comrade who shared my cause, and gave his life in battle...
Battle...? Was he in a guild?
Why would you think so?
Well, Imperial Knights who fall in the line of duty are given a state funeral.
This has nothing to do with the empire or the guilds.
What's that supposed to mean?

Is he the reason you've been driftin' around so long?
That is none of your concern.
Hey, no need ta get testy.

...Just whose grave is this, anyway?
It's not a knight or somebody from a guild. That's gotta mean...
I know some people can't afford a burial, but why put them in a place like this?

We may not know whose grave this is, but this feels like the right thing to do...
Might as well...

Okay, let's head back down. I think we're done here.

I think we're done here too. Next time: More sidequesting!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 9, 2016

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

The PS3 version added something neat that I kinda wish the 360 version had as well: As soon as you have access to Ba'ul, you can teleport to most towns and dungeons by opening the world map, selecting the desired location, and pressing L3. Very useful. On the 360 version, you just have to manually fly everywhere.
And if you're actually playing the PS3 version, unless you want all the Trophies, I suggest taking advantage of this.

After all, in the PS3 version, they kept one of the most annoying Achievements from the 360 version. That is to fly Ba'ul 50,000 Kilometers (at least, I think it's that much). And I can't remember if the game keeps track of this between New Game+ saves. Even with transferring stats via the Grade Shop.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Man, the Brave Vesperia quests were a pain in the rear end to do the first time. Decent payoff, though. But with New Game+, I'll never have to do them again!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
70% of 4200 is 2940, not 3000, so that was a calculation error slightly in BV's favour.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Volfogg posted:

After all, in the PS3 version, they kept one of the most annoying Achievements from the 360 version. That is to fly Ba'ul 50,000 Kilometers (at least, I think it's that much). And I can't remember if the game keeps track of this between New Game+ saves. Even with transferring stats via the Grade Shop.

Yeah, they did, but they cut the required distance in half. It's still pretty dumb and there's pretty much no way you'll get the required distance without flying around aimlessly for hours.

e: That is, the 50000km is already the cut distance. In the 360 version it requires 100000km.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Yeah, they did, but they cut the required distance in half. It's still pretty dumb and there's pretty much no way you'll get the required distance without flying around aimlessly for hours.

e: That is, the 50000km is already the cut distance. In the 360 version it requires 100000km.

Yeah, I knew they cut it down to make it more manageable. I just couldn't exactly tell from the PS3 Trophy description if it was 50,000. And dear lord, the 100,000 is loving stupid. This is coming from someone who 1000'd the 360 version of Vesperia and would have probably done it all again it if the US got the PS3 version too.

Want to know how stupid it really was? After getting down to ONE achievement left in the game (the aforementioned flying one), I left Ba'ul flying around the word while I went to sleep. When I woke up, the Achievement still didn't pop. This was on a 120+ Hour File.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Nobis: You haven't looked at what's inside, have you?

It was just a normal book. Looked like it had something ta do with economics.
Did you look inside, Raven?
So what if I did?
I mean, it's fine, but...what if the client had hidden something private in the book?
Oh, it's no big deal. No harm done if it didn't get in the way of the job.
An economics book, eh... Doesn't sound too racy.
It would've been funny if some romance novel was the proof of two guys' friendship!
Really...?

I may just be projecting here, but after those item descriptions and the guy's question about whether the party looked inside, I was totally thinking along the same lines as Judith. :gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Pheromone-boy? I don't think I'm getting what the Ant Lion Man is going for.

Also, Curtiss, you misspelled Mantaic as Manatic.

• Locked thread