Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

MARTY TURKEY posted:

Holy poo poo, some of the item descriptions in this game are pretty amazing. The description for Red Wing literally says, "With this wing I thee red" :laugh:
The best item description is hands down the one for the Perforated Oar. It basically says, "A ruined oar that's completely useless. But wait! If you look through the-- oh, never mind."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tupperwarez posted:

The best item description is hands down the one for the Perforated Oar. It basically says, "A ruined oar that's completely useless. But wait! If you look through the-- oh, never mind."

I don't get this one

also what's the deal with Ice Cabbages?

EDIT: FINALLY got the Forget-Me-Not

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Manoueverable posted:

Wait, there's trading in this game too?

:psyduck:

Supposedly gifting too but I have no bloody idea how to do it.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I couldn't find a Bitter Kiwi to save my life. I didn't even know what I was missing in Makra Forest until I talked to a NPC and realized he talked about an item I never saw. Promptly traded for it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
How can I tell if a weapon damages Mechon? In the shop theres a little description but in my inventory I have no idea how to tell if its useful or not. Im assuming that a Machina Guarder II damages them? Just hit Mechonis Field by the way.

Brackhar posted:

Go into the inventory and into your collectibles. Gifting should be an option.

Trading is done just by walking up to named NPCs and hitting Y.

KoB fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 2, 2012

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

Press Y in front of a named NPC and you can trade with them for items. When trading, your collectibles are valued at 10x their normal sell value, so use those. Trading's pretty great because you can trade for a lot of quest items.

Brackhar posted:

Go to your inventory and go to the collectibles page. Select any collectible and you are given the option to gift it to a party member.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

U-DO Burger posted:

Go to your inventory and go to the collectibles page. Select any collectible and you are given the option to gift it to a party member.
Realistically, though, how many gifts at 3-hearts apiece do you need to give before even 1 level of affinity is raised?

I always figured that gift-giving was a waste of time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

What's the difference between haste and agility up?

In case you haven't already found this out:

Haste is auto-attack speed, and is very beneficial to both your non-art damage as well as (for every character whose name isn't Sharla or Melia) filling your talent gauge more quickly to be able to use your generally-desirable talent art (the big one in the middle) more often. The usefulness of this varies by character.

Agility is accuracy and evasion. Level has a profound impact on both of these too, so raising your agility enough effectively makes you "higher level" in that regard. This can make comparable-level enemies wimpy (because you hit them all the time and they almost never hit you, as if they were lower-level enemies), or it can make higher-level enemies manageable as if they were comparable-level (instead of the usual case, which is them always hitting you and you never hitting them).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

Realistically, though, how many gifts at 3-hearts apiece do you need to give before even 1 level of affinity is raised?

I always figured that gift-giving was a waste of time.

Anywhere from 34-46 gifts (3 heart gifts give you somewhere between 22 and 30 points) for the first few affection levels and double that for the last one.

Anything below three hearts will just take forever, though.

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
I wish the final boss scaled to your level. I fought it at level 93 because I love filling up gauges and killing random animals, and it was the most :effort: fight ever. Maybe fighting naked and with starter weapons makes it harder.

Also, is it just me, or does Dunban seem to gain affinity easier because he crits and dodges all the time? Whenever I have Reyn or Sharla around I never seem to get as many burst affinities.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Do any of the named npcs actually have things worth trading for? Every time I've tried it all they offer me is some common drop from a common enemy or some collectible that I already have at least 5 of.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
As your affinity rating with an area goes up the better items they will offer you.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Do any of the named npcs actually have things worth trading for? Every time I've tried it all they offer me is some common drop from a common enemy or some collectible that I already have at least 5 of.

Higher affinity in an area leads to better trades. Also, if you offer them something worth way more than what you want, they'll throw in a bonus.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Manoueverable posted:

Do people even read the Tutorial messages that come up? :confused:

The only thing I had to look up in the instructions manual was the bars below your picture in battle, because I don't think they actually tell you in-game that the yellow bar is your SP progress and the orange boxes are your EXP to the next level.

EDIT: ugh fighting fish in the water that looks like it is moving is making me motion sick :barf:

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 2, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Vil posted:

In case you haven't already found this out:

Haste is auto-attack speed, and is very beneficial to both your non-art damage as well as (for every character whose name isn't Sharla or Melia) filling your talent gauge more quickly to be able to use your generally-desirable talent art (the big one in the middle) more often. The usefulness of this varies by character.

Agility is accuracy and evasion. Level has a profound impact on both of these too, so raising your agility enough effectively makes you "higher level" in that regard. This can make comparable-level enemies wimpy (because you hit them all the time and they almost never hit you, as if they were lower-level enemies), or it can make higher-level enemies manageable as if they were comparable-level (instead of the usual case, which is them always hitting you and you never hitting them).

This brings up a good point. If you use Speed-up abilities on Dunban, and cram him full of agility, he can help tank stronger beasts while you plink away at them.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

KoB posted:

How can I tell if a weapon damages Mechon? In the shop theres a little description but in my inventory I have no idea how to tell if its useful or not. Im assuming that a Machina Guarder II damages them? Just hit Mechonis Field by the way.

Anything with Machina/anti mechon in the name will gently caress them up. Anything else will not aside from all of 7th's weapons, Dunban's first sword and obviously the Monado.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ScarletBrother posted:

So I'm at the point of no return and am level 78. Is this a good level for the final area?

I was the same level there and the boss fight felt like a final boss fight should.

DTaeKim posted:

I couldn't find a Bitter Kiwi to save my life. I didn't even know what I was missing in Makra Forest until I talked to a NPC and realized he talked about an item I never saw. Promptly traded for it.

I never found empress beetles and it made me decide that colony 6 could gently caress off. :colbert:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So if you kill a unique monster prior to getting a mission to kill that monster, does it respawn?

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

Matt Cruea posted:

So if you kill a unique monster prior to getting a mission to kill that monster, does it respawn?

Just save and reload and it will.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Silvain posted:

Just save and reload and it will.

Yeah, I read that via Google and it doesn't seem to work. It's that dumb caterpile right outside Dunban's house on the beach. I killed it twice then got a mission to kill it and now it NEVER respawns! It's insane!

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Matt Cruea posted:

Yeah, I read that via Google and it doesn't seem to work. It's that dumb caterpile right outside Dunban's house on the beach. I killed it twice then got a mission to kill it and now it NEVER respawns! It's insane!

Just keep reloading until it does. It shouldn't take very many tries.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I know most named enemies respawn but do quest-related ones even spawn prior to receiving the quest?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

MARTY TURKEY posted:

The only thing I had to look up in the instructions manual was the bars below your picture in battle, because I don't think they actually tell you in-game that the yellow bar is your SP progress and the orange boxes are your EXP to the next level.

I'm pretty sure it tells you this at some point (or else I wouldn't know), but it's not exactly reasonable to be able to perfectly memorize every single thing in this game on your first run. I felt pretty overwhelmed with information when I was starting out.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
So I beat the game earlier today at level 78-9 (leveled up past the point of no return). It was pretty much exactly the right level, but I found the fight a tad easy. Then I started a new game after the thirty minutes or so of ending and completely lost interest in playing through again. Anyone else run into this wall?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ScarletBrother posted:

So I beat the game earlier today at level 78-9 (leveled up past the point of no return). It was pretty much exactly the right level, but I found the fight a tad easy. Then I started a new game after the thirty minutes or so of ending and completely lost interest in playing through again. Anyone else run into this wall?

Yeah, because you are so overpowered it's kinda funny.
Game would've benefited greatly from a Tales-like Grade shop. Having you be able to keep equipment and go through the game again starting at lvl. 1 with .5 Exp would've been hella fun.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
They should've made every enemy level 90+ on NG+ but as it is there's no point unless you want to max out affinity coins and murder everything with the Monado III.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, because you are so overpowered it's kinda funny.
Game would've benefited greatly from a Tales-like Grade shop. Having you be able to keep equipment and go through the game again starting at lvl. 1 with .5 Exp would've been hella fun.

Totally agree with all of this. I would have loved a grade shop or a higher difficulty level. I've tried to do NG+ twice and gave up both times not even a half hour into it. Replaying from scratch is kind of fun though if you completely ignore all quests.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
NG+ was a relic of the days when there wasn't anything else to do. We loved NG+ in CT because we didn't have the internet or a huge library of awesome games halfway played on steam.

Nowdays it's very meh unless there's some extra challenge.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
No, we loved NG+ in Crono Trigger because that game had like 13 different endings and NG+ was how you saw them. Killing everything in one hit was still boring as poo poo back then, or you were seven years old and couldn't notice.

edit: and also replaying Crono Trigger to get one of those new endings wasn't a 40 hour endeavor per

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 2, 2012

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Wow, so it turns out what I thought was the shooting stars weather event at Eryth Sea was just background noise. The actual event is...something else. I think I actually gasped.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Some of the skills seem kind of pointless or counterproductive. For example, Dunban has a skill that increases aggro when he has no armor equipped. Why the hell would you want enemies to attack Dunban more when he has no freakin armor equipped? Makes no sense to me.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Some of the skills seem kind of pointless or counterproductive. For example, Dunban has a skill that increases aggro when he has no armor equipped. Why the hell would you want enemies to attack Dunban more when he has no freakin armor equipped? Makes no sense to me.

Because he also has skills that raise his agility by a fuckload with no armor on. He's not an armor tank, he's a dodge tank.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Dunban tanks best by having a high agility and dodging all attacks. Having no armor increases his agility.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I just started playing this game today, and my only gripe was that I didn't really like the default English soundtrack. Most likely because it gave me horrible Dragon Age flashbacks. I'm glad they included an option for the Japanese dialogue.

This game is also very pretty for a Wii title!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I megaheated my first Gem today.

That may be my greatest achievement so far in this game.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vargatron posted:

I just started playing this game today, and my only gripe was that I didn't really like the default English soundtrack. Most likely because it gave me horrible Dragon Age flashbacks. I'm glad they included an option for the Japanese dialogue.

It might not seem it at the start of the game, when everyone is carefree and buddy-buddy with each other, but if you give the English dialogue a chance, it's actually one of the best videogame localisations I can remember. It's certainly the most memorable.

Instead of hiring anime or videogame voice actors, Nintendo hired contemporary british television and theatre actors, who deliver in their usual tone, instead of super-animated-videogame-dialogue-tone.

Reyn is the creepy date-rapist from Misfits.

Melia is The flirtatious servant in Titanic, the lesbian murderer in Emmerdale, and Doctor Who's new companion.

Sharla is Ali G's girlfriend. (NSFW)

Riki want fun! Riki want everyone to go to Welsh theme park!

Seriously, give it a chance. Once the storyline kicks into the high gears, and the game starts pouring on the exposition, it's such a relief to have good voice acting, rather than trying to read and make sense of the storyline, while Japanese people are shouting at you.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Tyma posted:

It might not seem it at the start of the game, when everyone is carefree and buddy-buddy with each other, but if you give the English dialogue a chance, it's actually one of the best videogame localisations I can remember. It's certainly the most memorable.

Instead of hiring anime or videogame voice actors, Nintendo hired contemporary british television and theatre actors, who deliver in their usual tone, instead of super-animated-videogame-dialogue-tone.

Reyn is the creepy date-rapist from Misfits.

Melia is The flirtatious servant in Titanic, the lesbian murderer in Emmerdale, and Doctor Who's new companion.

Sharla is Ali G's girlfriend. (NSFW)

Riki want fun! Riki want everyone to go to Welsh theme park!

Seriously, give it a chance. Once the storyline kicks into the high gears, and the game starts pouring on the exposition, it's such a relief to have good voice acting, rather than trying to read and make sense of the storyline, while Japanese people are shouting at you.

You have much to learn from Dunban and his recorder.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Speaking of other roles with voice actors, the Japanese VA for Dunban was none other than Vegeta in Dragon Ball Z.

I really like how monster slay quests are autocompleting. This game is going to take up so much of my free time!

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
The voice acting in this game is really great. It really does pick up when the characters start showing emotion and the banter is great.

Also a huge fan of the music. My favourites have to be (mid to late game areas)Fallen Arm and Mechonis Field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Of the voices so far, I'd have to nominate Melia's as the best. Her actress manages to convey both regal elegance alongside bubbly aristocratic snootiness and actually make it sound genuine. I cannot help but smile every time she finishes a chain attack with that "Bravo, oh bravo!"

Dr. Stab posted:

Dunban tanks best by having a high agility and dodging all attacks. Having no armor increases his agility.

You'll notice that, at least for a short while after you get him, Dunban's optimal equipment is the "swimwear" stuff, as it generally is best for Agility. So if you haven't gotten him yet, you can look forward to manly shirtless samurai action.

• Locked thread