Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

notZaar posted:

Funny you mention that because I am playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma right now and the Dragon Sword is my go-to weapon because of the Flying Swallow,
I hate using this word, but for Flying Swallow was "nerfed" a bit in Black/Sigma. It doesn't really matter though because it still owns. Also it's really rare that Izuna Drop isn't a good idea.

Still, Lunar is pretty fantastic, if only for speed/coverage. All of the NG Black/Sigma weapons felt pretty good to me; I just wish they were more tactically varied so the player would be encouraged to use them against different enemies. If you get good with the DS or Lunar (or any of the melee weapons, really), it's rare that you need to use anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keet
Aug 20, 2005

randombattle posted:

Man all this is just making me wonder when we are gonna see a Bayonetta sequel or something along those lines.

Not to harp on it but I think something like a spiritual sequel to Bayonetta instead of a direct one would work well, probably something on the other side of the aestetic with bright colors, like some drug-addled anime combo of Okami and No More Heroes by way of Utena. It'd be nice to see something deliberately colorful and shiny.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

notZaar posted:

I think that's more because those are Western issues and really more of a big deal in the US than else-where, DMC4 just uses that Japanese cliche of organized Christianity being a cynical power grab, which I guess was true for a long time, they don't have too much influence on states these days.

I don't know how true it is, but the idea of "cynical power grab" from a Japanese standpoint is stuff set in the feudal era ('safe') or the early 20th century (a death sentence to anything being released internationally, considering). Its just a way to use a less politically loaded, from their point of view, setting.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Well it was fun getting my favorite serie completely ruined with NG3, now DmC's seems to be going on the same path!

Before Operation Raccoon City ( Hey, it's Resident Evil, Capcom wouldn't let poo poo be released using one of their main franchises right? :siren:WRONG:siren: ) I was pretty willing to give DmC a go. Ninja Theory do make some nice looking games after all, even if the execution is a bit lacking. Heavenly sword still looks pretty good for a launch title.

Definitely be waiting for the reviews now, and I'll be keeping a wary eye on RE 6 as well in case Capcom's standards go from slipping, into a full nose-dive at the ground. :(

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

limited posted:

Before Operation Raccoon City ( Hey, it's Resident Evil, Capcom wouldn't let poo poo be released using one of their main franchises right? :siren:WRONG:siren: )
There's a pretty extensive history of bad to mediocre Resident Evil spinoffs, you're saying this like it's something new.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
At least they were pretty drat close to having a good game, too bad I can't play it due to constant bugs in versus objectives modes.

At least Ninja Theory knows how to do good levels, Heavenly sword's last segment was pretty effin' amazing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If this game didnt take this political poo poo seriously and just had Dante cruise by killing demons because "That's what I get paid for, isn't it?" or "Fuckers ruining my holiday spot, I should be paid overtime for this crap", it would have been much better.

It would be enough to just mock the right-wingers instead of failing an attempt at '~deep~' satire.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't want this thread to get archived before the next bit of hype rolls out, so I'll share some thoughts on the HD collection. I've been playing DMC and DMC3, and playing both so close together I really start to question whether 3 is the best from the PS2 generation. Obviously it's much deeper, but I wouldn't necessarily say the controls are any snappier. The original game still holds up very well control wise. From a design perspective, DMC3 can't even approach the original. The left over Resident Evil design philosophy really adds a lot, and the soundtrack is really great in the HD collection, I forgot how creepy DMC can be in the night levels before you go to the Underworld.
Finally, I noticed that the guns and Devil Trigger have a lot more pop in the original game. They just feel really powerful. Especially the shotgun, compared it to the pitifully weak DMC3 shotgun and you can really see the difference.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

What would be quite nice would be a remake of the first 3 games using the 4ths controls and visuals.

I mean, you can keep the gothic feel of the first 3 and such, but the visuals in 4 were far and away the nicest. Then the controls, Dante in 4 just controlled amazingly, being able to flip between styles at the click of a button just made him feel so much more powerful during combat, a lot closer to his cutscene counterpart.

Being able to play 3 with all weapons on rota and all styles just a direction pad button away would really be something else.

Anyway, DmC, after the most recent trailers it's nice to see Dante seem a little more Dante-ish, not much but it's something. And the style-meter's back which I believe was originally stated to not be included. It's a nice sign that they at least listened to some cries of pain from the fanbase.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I find Dante much easier to control in 3 than I did in the original. He feels faster and more responsive, what with the faster pace and additional movement options. Whether you like that less than the sort of weighted feel he has in 1 is personal preference I suppose, but they both control fine.

I do still feel that DMC 1 still has the best overall regular enemy and level design of the whole series. Bosses are just as good in DMC 3 at least even if the regular enemy design is a little more...subdued is the word I'd use. Still waiting for HD Shadow.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
edit: double post

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

notZaar posted:

I don't want this thread to get archived before the next bit of hype rolls out, so I'll share some thoughts on the HD collection. I've been playing DMC and DMC3, and playing both so close together I really start to question whether 3 is the best from the PS2 generation. Obviously it's much deeper, but I wouldn't necessarily say the controls are any snappier. The original game still holds up very well control wise. From a design perspective, DMC3 can't even approach the original. The left over Resident Evil design philosophy really adds a lot, and the soundtrack is really great in the HD collection, I forgot how creepy DMC can be in the night levels before you go to the Underworld.
Finally, I noticed that the guns and Devil Trigger have a lot more pop in the original game. They just feel really powerful. Especially the shotgun, compared it to the pitifully weak DMC3 shotgun and you can really see the difference.

I agree with a lot of your points, especially about the atmosphere. It really adds something that none of the other DMC games have.

DMC3 has a lot more enemies, but a lot of them are very similar, and there's none that I really love like the Shadow or the Blitz. I also don't like the emphasis on Devil Trigger Explosions. I prefer DT as being a temporary awesome-mode, like in DMC1.

Having replayed DMC1 on the HD collection, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding whether DMC1 or DMC4 is my favorite of the series. DMC4 takes a ton of cues from DMC1, which I love, especially in regards to enemy design. The SSS kills are DMC1 Critical Hits resurrected. I freakin LOVE Critical Hits, by the way. Especially against Blades. Jumping around, shotgunning them, knocking them over, and then bringing that sword down on their spines for an instant kill... so awesome.

Ifrit's my favorite weapon in the series. I've always loved the gauntlets, and Ifrit has a hell of a punch without taking too long to charge. The ability to throw freakin fireballs is just wonderful, and Inferno is super powerful and satisfying to use.

I've also decided that Nightmare 3 is my favorite boss in the series. Once you know enough about it, it's not a reactive fight at all like most bosses, because you know exactly what he's going to do next, and how to get him to do what you want. It's like you're following choreographed steps, and it's a lot of fun having such control over a boss.

Also, DMC1's DMD mode is easily my favorite in the series. DMC4's is too easy, and DMC2's and 3's can both be tedious, but DMC1's really hits the sweet spot for me. Fights are usually brutally fast, with you either demolishing your opponent or getting destroyed.

It also has my favorite soundtrack of the series. Some of the boss themes are just fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think DMC1 has the best enemy design, DMC3 has the best weapon/equipment/general skill lineup and most interesting scoring system and DMC4 has the best general mechanics.

I think DMC3 is the overall most solid though. I like DMC4's mechanics but find the level design boring as crap and wish there was more a little more variation. You can really feel how much DMC1 has aged, although it's still good.

I like 'em all though. How odd they never made a DMC2 tho', I bet that would have been great!

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Its really hard for me to play DMC1 anymore. The unchangable controls and outdated controls really make it hard for me to play anymore.

DMC3 is personally my favorite game of the series, the chief reason being the weapon selection and style selection system. I loved choosing the four best weapons for every situation/boss and the best style to go with them, and I loved having specific setups for specific bosses and stuff like that. The weapon variety was really good in the game too.

I will agree that the enemy design was overall weaker in DMC3 than DMC1 though. Many enemies were just tedious to fight (loving fallens!!!) and not very fun.

DMC4... I think DMC4's big weakness is its lack of bosses. Replaying DMC3 made me realize how many bosses the older games had, where DMC4 has like... 5 different bosses. Plus I didn't really like how Dante only got 6 weapons, and had all 6 on at the same time, double tapping weapon select felt kind of awkward to me.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
DMC HD remaps jump to X and melee to Triangle, which pretty much makes the controls perfect. I just wish they would have removed the stupid requirements to lock on before shooting on the ground.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
DMC1 has a rotten camera. No matter how much else in the game is excellent, the camera placement is just absolutely horrible in a way that makes DMC3 and 4 better by default for me.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

notZaar posted:

DMC HD remaps jump to X and melee to Triangle, which pretty much makes the controls perfect. I just wish they would have removed the stupid requirements to lock on before shooting on the ground.

Maybe for you but I don't use anything close to the default control scheme for DMC3 or 4. I was really disapponted they didn't add remappable controls to DMC1 that would've been nice.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

I like 'em all though. How odd they never made a DMC2 tho', I bet that would have been great!

It is strange for a comapny to jump straight from 1 to 3 isn't it? Funnily enough, there is a wikipedia page for a "DMC2", but most of it consists of somebody's fanfiction and fake screenshots. It's a pretty convincing fake, I'll admit; they've even got reviews from people who've alleged to have played the game. It must have been an April fool's joke or something, because they're not fooling anybody :smug:

What I liked most about DMC4's controls (for Dante at least) was the abilty to change styles on the fly, the only downside being the "Dark Slayer Style", which is less a style, than it is being able to slice things with Yamato.

I was also slightly weirded out by Dante having all his weapons on him too. It just felt really clunky at times switching to the right weapon in the heat of battle, remembering to cycle through them another time.

4's biggest problem for me though, is that it's not really Dante's game. You spend the majority with Nero, and getting used to his okay, if slightly unrefined control scheme, and by the time you've finally got it down, here comes a new character with a completely different (and vastly more complicated) playstyle.

And then by the time you've got used to Dante, and remembering that he doesn't have Devil Snatch, you're changed back to Nero again, and have to get used to playing as him again, and not having access to Dante's arsenal.

There's also the weird pacing issues, and the lazily recyled bosses and levels as previously mentioned by somebody.

[e]: Don't get me wrong, I think Nero was really fun to play as, and there's a great deal of satisfaction to be had smashing enemies to bits or throwing them across the room, and I wouldn't have even minded if Dante just made a cameo, and that was that. Maybe if it followed the DMC2 approach and had seperate campaigns for both Nero and Dante with their stories intersecting at points, it would have been easier to get adjusted to things. It's more the confusion of switching between both characters and trying to snatch someone as Dante and wondering why he's dashed into their face.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 2, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I actually preferred Nero in DMC4, once you get the hang off him you realize he has as many moves as Dante, he just doesn't need to a style change, not to mention much better ground control with the buster.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Nero did not have close to as many moves as Dante don't be silly. Honestly the thing that disappointed me the most about Nero was that he only had one Devil Arm and one Gun. The thing that really drew me to DMC3 and makes it the best game in the series in my opinion is the variety of Devil Arms and Guns you find in the game. DMC4 only had one new Devil Arm and Gun for Dante and Nero only had his defaults.

I do agree that a DMC2 style full campaign for both of them would've been really awesome. Imagine if both Dante and Nero got the full 5 Devil Arms and 5 Guns, and then you would choose two of each just like DMC3. And maybe Dante could unlock 7 styles (Four base, Dark Slayer, Quicksilver Doppelganger) and you could choose four of them.

I wish Dante was just more fleshed out. Plus no Devil Arm in any game is going to be as sweet as Nevan.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ChewyLSB posted:

And maybe Dante could unlock 7 styles (Four base, Dark Slayer, Quicksilver Doppelganger) and you could choose four of them.

Oh man, that would be so awesome. Gunslinger's always been the ultimate "all-style, barely-any-substance" stance for me; being able to drop it in favour of Quicksilver or god forbid Doppleganger would make for even crazier combos.

Is there any button in DMC's layout that isn't used? I'd imagine they could add in what Bayonetta did with weapon sets: two weapon sets with two weapons each, and you could swap between them mid-fight.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

toasterwarrior posted:

Is there any button in DMC's layout that isn't used?

Not now, I don't think, at least not with Dante.

It's the shoulder buttons for defense and traget lock-on (both for DT), left and right triggers for cycling guns and swords, all the usual buttons (circle or A and the rest), the analog for movement, and the directional pad for style changes. They even managed to squeeze a fifth style change there too with double tapping.

They really made the most of the controls really.

I was really disappointed with the Dark Slayer Style in 4, it's like they didn't want to add another weapon to cycle through, but still wanted to put it in there anyway. And it's kinda finicky to use too.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Oh, hey, some guy got an interview with Ninja Theory, submitting questions from the users of Devil May Cry.org.

It's mostly stuff we've heard, but news seems to have died down a tad since the last trailer:

DMC.Org User submitted Interview with NT posted:

Tiran: What aspects, if any, of the original Devil May Cry series did Ninja Theory feel were the most essential in preserving for DmC?

DM: There is a backbone that runs through the Devil May Cry series that has made the series such a success to date. A strong, charismatic protagonist in Dante, fast, fluid combat that allows players to experiment and explore combos and the concept of rewarding players not just for completing a mission but also for completing a mission with style and panache. All of these are a feature of DmC.

Meg: For the sake of clarity, and to put to bed any still-lingering confusion, what would be the most accurate way of describing DmC: reboot, prequel, parallel universe, or something else entirely? How does DmC fit into the series?

DM: You can compare what DmC is in contrast to the previous 4 games with what Christopher Nolan’s Batman is in contrast to Adam West’s Batman from the 60’s. The game doesn’t sit within the timeline of the previous 4 games, however fans of the existing series will find familiarity with some of DmC’s themes and characters.

Sieghart: What was the reasoning behind developing DmC on Unreal Engine 3 tech, as opposed to Capcom’s own MT Framework?

DM: Initially there was a brief discussion about using MT Framework, but it was really a decision that came down to the amount of time that we set ourselves to make the game. We’ve already got a lot of experience with Unreal and didn’t want to spend a year of the development just learning a new engine. Using Unreal meant that we could really get stuck into the gameplay and content from the start without having to get to grips with the tech first.

Dante’s Stalker: Can you tell us anything about the voice cast? Whom has been hired to play whom, and why Ninja Theory felt that they were the perfect candidates for their respective roles?

DM: We actually capture our actors’ voices, body movements and facial expressions simultaneously, so when we’re casting we’re looking for actors that not just sound right, but move in the right way, have the right physical appearance and complement the rest of the cast with their acting style. Each of the actors bought a real enthusiasm and energy to their roles, which comes across in the game’s narrative.

For now we’re not talking about specifics of which actor plays which character, but we’ll certainly be touching on it in the near future.

ZeroLove: The news of a Devil May Cry reboot is extremely exciting, with many hailing it as the next logical step for the franchise, but there has also been a very vocal minority of hardcore fans that have not been especially receptive to the series’ change in direction. How has both the positive and negative feedback influenced DmC’s development??

DM: It’s our job, along with Capcom, to take Devil May Cry in fresh new direction and that’s what we’re doing. We have a creative direction that we all firmly believe in and we’re confident that both existing DMC fans and those new to the series will enjoy the game. We’re not blind to feedback, but we’re sensitive to the fact that change naturally brings fear. All we ask is that people keep an open mind to DmC and judge it as the game it is rather than the game that you think it is going to be. Every time we release new information about DmC there is a buzz – people care a great deal about the franchise. That can only be a good thing.

chocolateghost79 & StuntXL: In past games, Dante has been privy to a wildly diverse array of ethereal weaponry and supernatural powers. Will the same be true for DmC? And will unique gameplay opportunities arise based on Dante’s angel and devil forms?

DM: Dante can switch between 3 forms on the fly: Human, Angel and Demon. Within each of these forms Dante can switch between weapons and abilities. It’s like a toolbox of options that the player can build up over the course of the game and use strategically in different combat and traversal situations. We’re actually very excited to hand the toolbox over to players and see what they come up with. Just walking around the studio you’ll see people playing the game with very unique styles and pulling off moves that you’d never even thought about. We had a well-known Devil May Cry player come into the studio and play the game for a couple of days and he and I had a lot of fun sharing combat ideas and trying out chains and experimenting. We’d talk about something, I’d go back to my desk and nail it over a lunch break and try and take the chain one step further. He’d then inevitably take it one step even further and show me how it’s really done!

Frantix: Was there any truth to the rumours of Ninja Theory supposedly inviting specific Devil May Cry fans to the studio to play-test DmC and provide feedback? If so, can you divulge just what sort of valuable input was collected from their experiences?

DM: It’s true that the game has been played by some very experienced Devil May Cry players and we’re happy that they went away excited by what we’re doing.

As a rough estimate, how much time on average do you believe gamers will be able to garner from the single-player story mode? Are there any incentives for encouraging players to revisit the game, such as unlockable content?

DM: Once you’ve completed all of the main missions there are some big incentives to revisit them a few times over. There is a lot more to challenge your skills than that first start to finish run.

Z218: Are there any plans to introduce co-operative or competitive multiplayer modes into DmC.

DM: Multiplayer isn’t a feature of DmC.

darkslayer13: What is DmC’s official release date for all territories?

[Ninja Theory did not answer this question.]

2niperwolf: Are there any plans to release a PC version of DmC? If so, can fans expect a simultaneous release alongside consoles?

DM: For now we’ve only announced that DmC will be coming out on Xbox 360 and PS3.

mrrandomlulz: Given the opportunity, would Ninja Theory be interested in also developing a Devil May Cry game set in the original series’ universe?

DM: I think if Capcom wanted to make a Devil May Cry game that was in-line with the rest of the series that they would probably develop it themselves

Source: http://devilmaycry.org/687/score-ssstylish-exclusive-interview-ninja-theory.html

So yeah, mostly stuff we already know, or questions answered in an evasive way.

[e]: By the by, I wouldn't recommend reading any of the comments in the DMC.org forums, because they mostly consist of stuff like:

Typical DMC.Org Poster posted:

User posted:

haha well i've always been a huge dante fan, and so far i'm a fan of his new incarnation. it seems like he will have a combination of comical one-liners such as original dante, as well as more witty ones, which i think will convert into some pretty interesting dialogue.

tru dat man i was always lost in the dialogue in the old games. I don't blame the developers i think it was the language difference and translation because Japanese is a VERY intricate language one symbol literally has hundreds of meanings thus having greater depth and meaning. So i wouldn't be surprised if Dante seemed more like a balanced persona in Japan

:regd09:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 2, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quote:

ZeroLove: The news of a Devil May Cry reboot is extremely exciting, with many hailing it as the next logical step for the franchise, but there has also been a very vocal minority of hardcore fans that have not been especially receptive to the series’ change in direction. How has both the positive and negative feedback influenced DmC’s development??

"Why are you so awesome and why does everyone who disagrees with you suck?"

Some hard hitting questions right there.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I do like that they got some DMC vets in there, I wonder who they picked and how. They are surely under NDA, but maybe NT is saving some testimonials as part of a PR ramp-up leading to release. I'm sure we'll hear what they have to say, if it's positive.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

I do like that they got some DMC vets in there, I wonder who they picked and how. They are surely under NDA, but maybe NT is saving some testimonials as part of a PR ramp-up leading to release. I'm sure we'll hear what they have to say, if it's positive.

Well, Accounting Nightmare has been very quiet recently :tinfoil:

Some more stuff is that Amazon now has a placeholder date for release, of 31st December 2012. Of couse, that's probably subject to change, and an extremely unlikely date. The placeholder art is just the DmC logo.

On the topic of logos and things, because I found the DMC HD collection cover to be rather ugly, this is now what graces the cover of my copy:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 2, 2012

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I haven't really been following DmC too much but its just so hard for me to get excited for the dumb game with Ninja Theory at the helm since their track record has just been completely awful.

It also feels like we haven't even seen that much gameplay and any gameplay we have seen is just the same dumb aerial combo. How can you take a series like Devil May Cry and have such lovely and lacking gameplay footage so far.

EDIT: And its the same whole crap with the Syndicate FPS and the XCOM FPS right? Why not just create a new IP if the game's overall tone and delivery is going to skew off so differently from the original that its barely even recognizable as being the same game.

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 2, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: By the by, I wouldn't recommend reading any of the comments in the DMC.org forums, because they mostly consist of stuff like:

tru dat man i was always lost in the dialogue in the old games. I don't blame the developers i think it was the language difference and translation because Japanese is a VERY intricate language one symbol literally has hundreds of meanings thus having greater depth and meaning. So i wouldn't be surprised if Dante seemed more like a balanced persona in Japan

Wait, what? Hasn't the series always been dubbed in English, thus implying that even the Japanese dialogue editors considered the translation just fine?

Anyway, I'm wondering if Ninja Theory is being real cagey with releasing substantial info about the game because they know it'll just being more heat on them. It's a shame, the recent trailer didn't shatter my hopes completely so I'm curious to see just how deep that combat system goes.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, what? Hasn't the series always been dubbed in English, thus implying that even the Japanese dialogue editors considered the translation just fine?

Yep, dubbed in English by English speaking VAs, but with Japanese subs for the Japanese audience. The only time it hasn't was with the anime and in Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Ditto for Bayonetta, all the voice work is in English (aside from one comment she'll make if you do a certain move), except for narration over a single trailer or something, IIRC and that was only a placeholder.

Outside of a few overlooked 'L's and 'R's (here's rooking at you Nelo Angelo), there's nothing really that screams of a bad translation. Bad direction, certainly. Plenty of plot holes, also. But basically, to not understand what's happening, you'd have to have not paid attention to anything in the game, at all. And these aren't complex stories either. Even 2 is fairly easy to understand what's happening in it. Or the gist of it, anyway.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, just like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry has always had English voices. I don't remember if they've even had voice work in other languages.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Not DmC News, but DMC news, Dante is appearing in another cross-over game. Something called Project X Zone.

And here's a roster:

Capcom:
Ryu (Street Fighter IV)
Ken (Street Fighter IV)
X (Mega Man X)
Zero (Mega Man X)
Demitri Maximoff (Darkstalkers)
Hsien-Ko (Darkstalkers)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Frank West (Dead Rising)
Chris Redfield (Resident Evil: Revelations)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil: Revelations)

SEGA:
Shinguji Sakura (Sakura Wars)
Ogami Ichiro (Sakura Wars)
Pai (Virtua Fighter)
Akira (Virtua Fighter)
Kurt (Valkyria Chronicles)
Riela (Valkyria Chronicles)
Ulala (Space Channel 5)
Cyrille (Shining Force EXA)
Touma (Shining Force EXA)
Zephyr (Resonance of Fate)
Leanne (Resonance of Fate)

Namco Bandai:
Sanger Somvold (Super Robot Wars)
Jin Kazama (Tekken)
Ling Xiaoyu (Tekken)
Kos-Mos (Xenosaga)
T-elos (Xenosaga)
Yurie (Tales of Vesperia)
Estel (Tales of Vesperia)
Kite (.hack)
Black Rose (.hack)
Alisa Amiella (God Eater Burst)
Soma Schicksal (God Eater Burst)

Nice to see that regular Dante is still sticking around, even if it is for these X vs X crossovers. This is his sixth cameo in another game. Seventh if you count a non-offical appearance in the Bayonetta Art book.

Trailer
Official Website (JP)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Capcom x Sega and we don't get to see a Bayonetta vs Dante matchup. Way to drop the ball Sega.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe now that Cool Dante isn't so busy he can show up in the next Bayonetta game? (Please Capcom? :ohdear:)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

Capcom x Sega and we don't get to see a Bayonetta vs Dante matchup. Way to drop the ball Sega.

I suppose it boils down to who owns the rights to her. And there's still a chance that more characters will be playable, and that she may be among them. It's unlikely though with Platinum Games upcoming brawler, which she stars in.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

You can compare what DmC is in contrast to the previous 4 games with what Christopher Nolan’s Batman is in contrast to Adam West’s Batman from the 60’s.

"Nero, hand me that can of demon repellant!"

Dante can switch between 3 forms on the fly: Human, Angel and Demon.

Please don't tell me that there's going to be a 'moral choice' bar that's affected by this.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

Please don't tell me that there's going to be a 'moral choice' bar that's affected by this.

I think it's just the styles under a different name. Or it could well be:

A) Murder demon - +5 Renegade
B) Discuss peaceful non-violent alternative - +5 Paragon
C) Satirize demons and their political views - +10 Hamhandedness

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 9, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know. Early info mentioned how "Angel" was air-focused attacks and "Demon" was ground focused attacks. (Get it? Get it?) I'd hope they are different styles but I have the weird feeling it's just "air combos are angel, ground combos are devil, guns are human" or something like that. It'd be nice if I'm wrong.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
On the topic of the angel/demon/human stuff, here's a hands-on preview:

DmC: Devil May Cry Hands-On Preview – Angels and Demons posted:

There's been a lot of talk about DmC since its original announcement back at TGS in September 2010, most of which has revolved around the colour of the rebooted Dante's hair. Yes, his hair is no longer white. Yes, it's been cropped and it's black. But having got our hands on Ninja Theory's take on Devil May Cry, we soon forgot about all of that daft hair business. Not that we actually cared about the colour of Dante's barnet to begin with.

Hair-based controversy aside, Ninja Theory is a developer that clearly knows its hack 'n' slash and action adventure onions, having delivered PS3-exclusive Heavenly Sword followed by the criminally overlooked Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and that experience shines through in DmC. More importantly though, DmC feels instantly familiar yet distinctly different to previous Devil May Cry games. Right off the bat, the interplay between Dante's ebony & ivory pistols and his trusty sword is immediate and slick, just like its always been in past iterations, but Ninja Theory has added a few fresh mechanics of its own.

Set in Limbo City, our hands-on picks up during a section initially shown in one of the early gameplay videos released for DmC, so it's instantly familiar with the cobbled European streets that break up and shift as Dante runs through them. From the off, we can already tell that this is a Dante that's still cocksure and brash, but he's actually quite witty too, with some smart-mouthed one-liners that actually raise a smirk. We're not here for Dante's verbal repartee though. We're here to see how he can handle himself in a fight against his demonic enemies, seamlessly wielding swords and pistols like he always has.

And if you liked Nero's grabby Devil Bringer arm from Devil May Cry 4, you'll be happy to know that Dante now has his own grapple moves too, as well as different weapons that can be switched on the fly by holding down the left and right triggers. The left trigger activates Dante's angel trigger, which enables him to execute rapid light attacks using a slender scythe weapon, whereas the right trigger activates Dante's devil stance, unleashing a huge heavy axe that can carve through enemy defences, leaving them wide open to attacks. Pressing neither trigger leaves Dante in his default stance, wielding his standard sword and handguns.

Getting stuck in, we come up against several gangly demons that help ease us back into the action, with Dante's juggling combos complemented by the grab move that enables you to launch enemies into the air at the touch of a button, before zipping up towards them to kick off a graceful airborne combo or slam them into the ground. Certain demons need to be dispatched using the appropriate angel or devil triggers, so shield-carrying red-hued enemies have to be dealt with using the devil trigger, while blue-tinged bad guys can be taken down with the angel trigger's scythe. This adds an extra layer of strategy to DmC, keeping you on your toes rather than blindly bashing buttons. [Yeah, strategy. Whatever. Not gimmick :jerkbag:]

There's a variety of enemies to tackle, including pesky laser spitting cherubs that need to be carved up using the angel trigger, while larger demons with chainsaws can be taken out using whatever weapon you see fit. The usual Devil May Cry combo system remains intact too, so striving to keep your moves chained together in pursuit of that elusive 'S' grade combo is still very much an ongoing concern as you mix up Dante's abilities. Our only interruptions during combos came when we forgot to let go of the triggers to shoot Dante's guns, as we got carried away switching between the angel and devil triggers at will.

Tapping the right bumper enables Dante to evade, while holding the left trigger and hitting the jump button lets you dash. You can also pull objects marked in red using the devil trigger grab and swing from blue points using angel trigger, which makes the platform jumping sections infinitely more interesting than before. There's a double jump (AKA the Air Hike) that we think is unlocked from the off too, thank goodness. And in the shifting, changing, dangerous Limbo City, we end up having to do our fair share of leaping between precipices, as thoroughfares crack and walls cave in around Dante, while his spectral guide appears at pivotal moments to lend a hand. For instance, she helpfully points out that the surveillance cameras have transformed into ogling eyeballs, what with this being a hellish alternate plane where anything can happen, so Dante sets to work yanking the demonic spies out of their sockets and booting them over the horizon. But not before spouting a wisecrack, of course.

While we approached our first hands-on with DmC with a modicum of apprehension, we left Capcom's London HQ feeling pretty good about the prospects of Ninja Theory's first crack of the whip with Dante. Not only does the game look stunning and distinctive, with every inch of its Gothic European architecture dripping with style and detail, from the sandy reds and terracotta hues of the streets to the cold interior of the cathedral's moving hall with its towering stained glass window, but DmC is also great fun to play. And what's more, as a prequel, you'll probably end up finding out how Dante's hair turned white too. So, there's no need to worry. Devil May Cry and Dante certainly seem to be in good hands, and if it transpires that SEGA has actually (stupidly) cancelled Bayonetta 2 as rumoured, we'd consider DmC a potentially worthy alternative.

DmC is due to release sometime on 2012, and we'll be getting another look at the game during E3 next month.

It's a "reimagining", or a "reboot". Not a prequel. And having to hold down the trigger buttons to activate a mode sounds pretty clunky - this is what they got rid of the lock-on for?

source:http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-11620-DmC--Devil-May-Cry-Hands-On-Preview-%E2%80%93-Angels-and-Demons.html

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 9, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, I guess I was wrong. Angel is "fast attacks", devil is "slow attacks" and human is "medium attacks." Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Well, I guess I was wrong. Angel is "fast attacks", devil is "slow attacks" and human is "medium attacks." Welp.

Heavenly Sword 2 Devil may Cry!

For chrissakes they're even re-using the "hold trigger to change moveset" thing.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 9, 2012

• Locked thread