Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Oh dur. :doh:

EDIT: Has it really been 4 years since 4? drat. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Dastardly posted:

"Aha, is this my chance?" Said Erin Fitzgerald as she proceeded to not read some of her lines weirdly.
Erin voices Erika and Trisha in Catherine right? Should mean she's capable of doing a decent tomboyish voice.

She did a good job as the tomboyish Alkaid in the .hack//GU games, and I liked her as Erica in Catherine. Looking at her IMDB shows that she's done a few roles similar in style. I think she'll do fine, though I do love Chie's original voice.

The Teddie voice, though... :smith: I need Dave Wittenberg. I see him as the only person who can do Kefka and Teddie.

edit: This is as good a place as any to post this... P4: The Golden officially headed to US Vitas this Fall.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 2, 2012

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Waterbed posted:

Atlus commonly does not leave Japanese audio in their games.
For a full on RPG sure but I can't believe they would remove it for a fighting game. Pretty much ever other fighter with english voices also has the option for japanese voices.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

dj_de posted:

For a full on RPG sure but I can't believe they would remove it for a fighting game. Pretty much ever other fighter with english voices also has the option for japanese voices.

Catherine didn't have Japanese either.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LightningKimba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8VKwYUbFQ

Sounds like Teddie and Rise's original voice actors aren't in.

No, that's Laura Bailey as Rise, still. However Teddie is being voiced by Sam Riegel now and man is it annoying.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Cityinthesea posted:

Catherine didn't have Japanese either.

There is an absolute 0% chance this won't have the Japanese voices for at least the fighting portion. Story mode is anyone's guess, but BlazBlue apparently had them so I would put my money on them being there.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I'd say they're going to be in based on the fact that Arc System Works is developing it, not Atlus.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Cho Tougeki Qualifier's Top 4. Was cool to see some good Aigis play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0fE3SK5oBw

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Here's a version with a more watchable framerate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZu6WMP9U94

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Latest tier list from Arcadia! It's exciting!

quote:

S: Aegis, Mitsuru
A: Kuma/Teddie, Akihiko, Narukami, Yosuke, Chie
B: Shadow Labrys, Labrys, Yukiko, Kanji, Naoto, Elizabeth

Don't say I didn't say so about Aegis. :I

This makes Arcsys's decision to patch in May even more questionable though, really hope they rethink what they are changing or push it back a ways.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I'm curious about what they found with Aegis that made her so good. Was it just not enough people playing her/writing her off too soon?

VVVVVV
Edit: Thanks for the write up also early patches rule :laugh:

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 5, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ybrik posted:

I'm curious about what they found with Aegis that made her so good. Was it just not enough people playing her/writing her off too soon?

Basically she has a completely unreactable mixup, 50% B&B combos, a great long range game, above average HP, amazing mobility and amazing at getting in, and has several decent reversals.

Her downsides is that she has a lot of meters to worry about and her normals are a little weird. She's apparently kind of hard to play well overall. So yes, the answer to your question is probably that people were writing her off because she's challenging to play.

Also she's going to be significantly buffed in the patch too! Well, assuming those patch notes are final anyway.

Edit: Actually double checking, I believe she has exactly average HP, 9000.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 5, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Wow, Akihiko made a jump in the tier list. Wasn't he bottom of the barrel originally?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PunkBoy posted:

Wow, Akihiko made a jump in the tier list. Wasn't he bottom of the barrel originally?

Yeah he was ranked bottom for quite a while. I have no idea if this list includes the MJCC glitch or not. They didn't post any reasoning or even what the basis for the list was though so it's really anybody's guess as to why anyone is where they are.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Par for the course, every character I'm interested in sits at the bottom of the list. :negative:

(Thank goodness this is an ASW game, and the tiers are usually rather close together, so it doesn't really matter that much.)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I'm gonna play Narukami because I want to be an idiot and he looks like the funnest character to be an idiot with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm pretty much obligated to play Akihiko, mostly because I'm known for playing a character who also punches and uses electricity. That is, if the game comes out here. Seen no proof it will, but I'm hoping.

Maybe it's my experience with non-ASW fighting games, but Elizabeth apparently ending up down the bottom surprises me given she's the super-secret final unlockable character. I mean that's good, it means she's tourney-legal and picking her isn't an immediate rear end in a top hat action at parties, but still.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
Parts of this tier list confuse me. Sure Aegis is good but not like BEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME tier. Akihiko ranked above Narukami and Chie? Naoto second worst character? Elizabeth the WORST character?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dj_de posted:

Parts of this tier list confuse me. Sure Aegis is good but not like BEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME tier. Akihiko ranked above Narukami and Chie? Naoto second worst character? Elizabeth the WORST character?

They're not ordered by power in their tier you dummyface.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

It's just ties as the above poster said. Elizabeth's in B probably from how she's new and people still haven't figured her all out yet, like how Aigis was in A before moving on up to being tied with Mitsuru for top play. Of course, this doesn't account for how much skill you need to put into the character (Aigis is gonna be a challenge, but mightily worth it, similar with Elizabeth), buuuut... That's obvious stuff right?

May's gonna be a fine month for watching the arcades, and our man Spiking is the one of the coolest when it comes to gettin' info, same with Gwyrgyn Blood (Why did I even make the OP if I'm completely outdone?)

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Also y'all should chill out and watch this P4A stream, cool Akihiko dude's playin' in casuals right now.

And this site collects win quotes if you're into that, I can't translate it myself off hand, though.

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 5, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Just a few clarifications on that tier list from the stream last night (thanks to Sibladeko)...

It's basically just an estimate by Joker based on the patch notes. That's why Chie is in mid tier. Aegis is tops because the guy apparently plays a lot against the one good Aegis in Japan so he knows how good she actually can be.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I donno if I buy that teir list but, my viewpoint is skewed by the characters I play. I think some of the matchups in this game are gonna be harsh though.

Kanji-Yukiko feels impossible vs. a good Yukiko. Airgrab is not helpful because she's not jumping, lightning is ok but she will throw a fan and persona break you, C is not long enough range so she will punish you if you're whiffing it. She has pressure from fullscreen and a safe if not great mixup so your only in is rolling, walking, jump b or drop kick or maybe chair slam b. (edit also the only actually safe options are walking and jump b but even those are not safe per say cause she's making GBS threads out so many projectiles) Also, her DP is quite good vs Kanji's anti-dp options, so you have to bait even after you get a KD. It feels like 7-3. But if you get a 720 grab and have meter and burst you can pretty much finish her with 720 grab-> ex airgrab-> one more burst cr.B AA grab. If you hit with at least a few jump b's and lightnings beforehand.

I kindof want to disagree with akihiko though, even akihikos who were clearly better than me couldn't do jack vs kanji or liz. Maybe those are bad matchups too? His normals just feel so bad. I think chie is still gonna be better than Aegis too just because her strong point at this point in the game is actually lockdown. Every good chie now is doing this combo that's not max damage but ends in you teching on the ground and the persona doing its spinny thing while she mixes you up again, and it works midscreen. Corner she has an even better one where she bounces you with overhead move and mixes you up twice airdash anime style. Like, Aegis mixup is really good but feels more like fighting millia or something umm if we took away millias stupid EX disc. Chie has weaker mixup but someone changed millias disk into a persona and its a normal.

Spiking fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 5, 2012

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

PunkBoy posted:

EDIT: Has it really been 4 years since 4? drat. :stare:

Yeah, almost. It was a late 2008 release iirc. I only remember this because my friend was recently surprised at the revelation about this AND Tales of Vesperia coming out before P4.

Now for a real :stare: think of how long it's been since P3.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Katsudon posted:

Yeah, almost. It was a late 2008 release iirc. I only remember this because my friend was recently surprised at the revelation about this AND Tales of Vesperia coming out before P4.

Now for a real :stare: think of how long it's been since P3.

For both games it started to be a bit of a mindfuck when I realized that, according to the dates, they're both now set in the past.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
^That gets me now too. "OH MY GOD THESE GAMES WHEN THEY CAME OUT TOOK PLACE IN THE FUTURE but now they're set in the past holy poo poo :stare:"

edit:
vv oh christ. vv

Katsudon fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 7, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Katsudon posted:

^That gets me now too. "OH MY GOD THESE GAMES WHEN THEY CAME OUT TOOK PLACE IN THE FUTURE but now they're set in the past holy poo poo :stare:"

The future in Back to the Future is 3 years from now. We have 3 years to advance in technology QUITE a bit.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The official English site is now open, where you too can see how Kanji's Mortal Blow is referred to as "The Man Series: Brofist". Yosuke however is one of the absent characters on the site, instead including Naoto as a revealed character. ... I don't understand why.

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 17, 2012

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

LightningKimba posted:

Yosuke however is one of the absent characters on the site, instead including Naoto as a revealed character. ... I don't understand why.

Everyone loves Naoto and hates Yousuke, simple really.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

LightningKimba posted:

And this site collects win quotes if you're into that, I can't translate it myself off hand, though.

Ha, Yosuke's win quote against Elizabeth asks for her number.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Kanji has the best moves names.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Looking through the win quotes again, there's some funny stuff there. Some choice ones:

Aigis compares Yosuke to Koromaru because of his speed and light weight, then says it would be perfect if he barked after.

After beating Akihiko, Yukiko throws a giggle-fit because of his "naked with a cape" look.

Kanji wants to touch Mitsuru's coat's fur.

Akihiko wonders why Teddie keeps saying "kumakuma" when he doesn't even seem to be a bear.

Elizabeth encourages Chie to eat a more balanced diet and not just meat.

She also wonders how Kanji's jacket can stay on just his shoulders. Does it stick there...?

After beating Mitsuru she asks if wearing bear fur is fashionable this year.

Other interesting stuff:

Naoto seems to have heard rumors about an anti-shadow weapon (Aigis) but says the specs are higher than the rumors.

Yu recognizes that Aigis has the wild card. Likewise, Aigis says he's like the P3 MC.

Aigis says that Teddie also knows the joy of gaining "life" just like she did.

Akihiko has been training since the time he fought Aigis 2 years ago.

Elizabeth says it's been a while since she last saw Aigis and comments on her new arsenal, mentioning that she's expecting fireworks.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Jumping the hypewagon on this game, it looks really great. Still not sure which character to use, but that process usually takes a while for me.

How safe is Teddie's TV special on block? Being able to throw it out whenever would mean a lot for his keepaway game.

Edit: Oh, it looks like it's a ranged attack with really long startup. Probably not that big a portion of Teddie's game, then.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 22, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Groghammer posted:

Edit: Oh, it looks like it's a ranged attack with really long startup. Probably not that big a portion of Teddie's game, then.

The startup isn't that long actually, you can use it in a number of combos as well. The bigger issue is that you can only use it when there isn't another TV already out there, and they take a little while to disappear. Plus, the C/D versions only hit specific locations, so you have to use the EX version to track the other player.

As far as advantage goes, I can't find any sort of data on it (mook isn't out quite yet IIRC). I've never seen it punished but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

The warp followup off the TVs seems pretty good though. It gives him potential for a full screen 4-way mixup, the low TV warp can be instantly canceled into a throw (it's insanely fast) or low, the high TV warp can be a regular overhead or a crossup. These seem a lot better if you combine them with a good item, like the Barrel or Meteors.

Edit: Looks like Mitsuru's charged boot super at max charge does about 2k damage (minimum) and causes crumple stun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Rp8YxI1S8

Edit2: Wow I might have actually been really understating how crazy TV Warp is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQbK8AbTm7g#t=4m15s

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 23, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Coming to Europe: http://www.personaeurope.com/

Is Zen United any good? I seem to recall some pretty serious delays with BB's releases, not sure if that was their fault or not though.

Oh yeah, and here's the box art: http://andriasang.com/con15g/p4_arena_box/

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 25, 2012

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Oh sweet it's confirmed for this year. I was totally going to import it but now I'll just wait and get it when it comes out here to hopefully send a message that it'd be nice to get Persona games the same year America does.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The Japanese release date of Persona 4 Arena's been pushed back a week earlier, with it now being released simutaneously with Aquapazza. Will the US/EU release dates be affected? Who knows!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I didn't realize this was being released so soon in English, thought all that translation would take a while.

Waterbed posted:

Atlus commonly does not leave Japanese audio in their games.

But Arcsys has dual audio or even exclusively japanese audio on western releases.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I didn't realize this was being released so soon in English, thought all that translation would take a while.

But Arcsys has dual audio or even exclusively japanese audio on western releases.

P4A is being localized by Atlus USA, most of Arcsys' earlier games were localized by Aksys. I wouldn't be too surprised if there wasn't a japanese voice track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Can anyone be a dear and translate the Version Up changes for me? Apologies for not bein' able to do it myself.

• Locked thread