Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

three in a row :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nice work

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Inverse Icarus posted:

babylon 5 has my two favorite science fiction characters in it, and you've hit them on the head

i mean, i love stargate, tng, and ds9, and i love a lot of the characters in them, but londo and g'kar are loving fantastically written and expertly acted

their story is genuinely interesting, the hatred between their people palpable. both of them seem like huge assholes at times, but in general you can tell they both just want what's best for their people

garak in ds9 is like that too. andrew "the scorpio killer" robinson is a method actor who took a one-off role on a star trek show really seriously and wrote pages and pages of diaries to get inside his character's head. he ended up a regular for the rest of the show and he'd sit in on the writing room on garak episodes to help them get it just right with what he had in mind. he's such a great actor and the whole package ends up just perfect.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 2, 2012

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
garak is awesome and quark is awesome

but really i cant think of a character on ds9 who doesnt have at least some amount of three-dimensionality to them

even the throwaway characters like jake and the drat dabbo girl have development and stuff happens to them and they're fleshed out

(been watching ds9 on netflix)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Ridgely_Fan posted:

garak is awesome and quark is awesome

but really i cant think of a character on ds9 who doesnt have at least some amount of three-dimensionality to them

even the throwaway characters like jake and the drat dabbo girl have development and stuff happens to them and they're fleshed out

(been watching ds9 on netflix)

Rom (rahm? idgaf)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Rom (rahm? idgaf)

Rom goes from bumbling moron to dependable engineer

yeah quark and odo have a great arc together

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
sf tv shows rise and fall based on the quality of their alien characters/actors

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

FMguru posted:

sf tv shows rise and fall based on the quality of their alien characters/actors

this is true.

Babylon 5 - G'Kar and Morari are the only watchable characters - renders show watchable

TOS - spock owns, show owns

next gen - data isn't technically an alien, and him and worf aren't as cool as picard. Still holds to the rule technically

Voyager - neelix loving sucks, show sucks

stargate - that weird big sperg with the symbol on his head is really off putting, show is bland crap

enterprise - the t'por or whatever is a lovely pale imitation of spock, just like this show is a lovely pale imitation of star trek

ds9 - garak, odo, quark, gul dukat, major kira and dax all own, show is the best

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Amethyst posted:

stargate - that weird big sperg with the symbol on his head is really off putting, show is bland crap
                                             gently caress you
                                                /

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Amethyst posted:

this is true.
going old school: battlestar galactica 1.0 and buck rogers - no aliens, crap shows

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

:havlat:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

gently caress you
                                                /

who's that? I meant this guy

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

http://www.jfazw.com/102.php

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Amethyst posted:

ba'al, the best villain in history

vvv also yeah stargate is only good when teal'c's head has no hair period

stargate is on syfy right !!! now !!!

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Amethyst posted:

if teal'c has hair it doesn't count

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

ba'al, the best villain in history

vvv also yeah stargate is only good when teal'c's head has no hair period

stargate is on syfy right !!! now !!!

ba'al was loving terrible. sure he was good for a while but then he just started showing up everywhere and not even being a villain. he was just a dude who was there sometimes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

NINbuntu 64 posted:

ba'al was loving terrible. sure he was good for a while but then he just started showing up everywhere and not even being a villain. he was just a dude who was there sometimes.

yeah i liked apophis better

stargate was better when they had a large pool of goauld dudes to write episodes around: apophis, sokhar, yu, etc etc. they all had unique personalities and motives and goals and it lost something when it went to REPLICATORS!!! or ORI!!! for seasons.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah i liked apophis better

jesus loving christ what the gently caress is wrong with you

didnt apophis do that stupid "lol i ascended poo poo" like jackson that took the ancients from "something of a mystery" to "nah bro theyre just the q now but without john de lancie's character"

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

FMguru posted:

going old school: battlestar galactica 1.0 and buck rogers - no aliens, crap shows

bullllshit

Buck teaches a space-princess to disco dance and his robot has the voice of Mel Blanc!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

why haven't they made a sprawl trilogy style tv series without aliens, anyway?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

NINbuntu 64 posted:

jesus loving christ what the gently caress is wrong with you

didnt apophis do that stupid "lol i ascended poo poo" like jackson that took the ancients from "something of a mystery" to "nah bro theyre just the q now but without john de lancie's character"

what? gently caress no apophis' ship got stranded in another galaxy, overrun with replicators, came back, crashed into a planet, and blew up

you're thinking of anubis which was when the show started to go to poo poo and i hated

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 2, 2012

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

anubis died in the dumbest and most anticlimactic way possible

like i expected him to come back because oma said that it would only slow him down but nope hes dead

sokar also died in a really lackluster way since they made him seem like such a badass

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

also on season 3 of atlantis now and i like the atlantis-styled human-form replicators

the sg1 human-form replicators were pretty bad, especially towards the end

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
watching spies like us and holy poo poo "won't you gentlemen have a pepsi" dude was bb loving king, dunno if I ever noticed that before

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Amethyst posted:

this is true.

Babylon 5 - G'Kar and Morari are the only watchable characters - renders show watchable

TOS - spock owns, show owns

next gen - data isn't technically an alien, and him and worf aren't as cool as picard. Still holds to the rule technically

Voyager - neelix loving sucks, show sucks

enterprise - the t'por or whatever is a lovely pale imitation of spock, just like this show is a lovely pale imitation of star trek

ds9 - garak, odo, quark, gul dukat, major kira and dax all own, show is the best

this confirms that farscape is the best

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
more like fartscape

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

wait a minute is londo's lackey flounder

e: IT IS :psypop:

i don't know who londo's actor is but he's great at portraying "fat drunk incompetent diplomat"

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 2, 2012

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

i don't know who londo's actor is but he's great at portraying "fat drunk incompetent diplomat"

yeah that's pretty accurate

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
ba'al is one of the better Stargate villains because he's the Goa'uld version of Larry Ellison.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I feel p.bad for londo

I mean, the show ends with him ruling over his annihilated homeworld with a parasitic mind control alien latched to his shoulder

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 3, 2012

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
SPOILERTAAAAAAGS

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

SPOILERTAAAAAAGS

really? the show is like 2 decades old or something.

fine.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
lol, yeah, those spoiler tags really help. thanks.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
darth vader was luke's father

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Ridgely_Fan posted:

darth vader was luke's father

Well, he thought he was, but it was actually the space milkman

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

speaking of B5 today I tried out a freespace mod done with babylon 5 ...stuff

it is a HOOT

did you know that the earth-minari war was a hard time to be a starfury pilot? whoof

http://babylon.hard-light.net

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I like how babylon 5 spacheships behaved like spaceships and not jet fighters. Swiveling around on their trajectories.

shame about the cgi

toby
Dec 4, 2002

behold a thing that was shown to me

i am thrilled

A MYSTERIOUS BENEFACTOR posted:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

oh god the giant avatars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I don't think anything annoys the heart of my spergy heart quite like mixing TNG S1-2 uniforms with S3+ uniforms in gifs or videos

• Locked thread