Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The thing that gets to me about the Sarah Phillips story re: freelance work is that she had a "spotless" online reputation when she was hired. It is very risky to just go by the Internet when looking for online writers.

Is there some other medium besides the internet that I'm not aware of that editors should be using to judge their online writers

And it's pretty hard not to have a spotless online reputation without glaringly loving something up badly (Hi, Crossing Broad!). Hell I get described as a "surrealistic, postmodern baseball writer on Twitter" just because I retweet a guy calling himself weedhitler ten times a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

URL Weaver posted:

Is there some other medium besides the internet that I'm not aware of that editors should be using to judge their online writers

And it's pretty hard not to have a spotless online reputation without glaringly loving something up badly (Hi, Crossing Broad!). Hell I get described as a "surrealistic, postmodern baseball writer on Twitter" just because I retweet a guy calling himself weedhitler ten times a day

So is "weedhitler" a guy who's really against weed, or a guy who loves Hitler and getting stoned?

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

haljordan posted:

So is "weedhitler" a guy who's really against weed, or a guy who loves Hitler and getting stoned?

Please don't troll weedhitler; he is a very nice young man.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Maybe weedhitler hates it when the Jews harsh his mellow.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I like whoever runs the LA Kings Twitter:

quote:

LA Kings ‏ @LAKings
100,000 followers! Wow. Thanks for following us. And no, Sarah Phillips, @LAKings is not for sale.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
I believe whoever did LA Kings' twitter posted smacktalk against all of Vancouver, too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
LA Kings twitter is like How To Make A Rad Team Twitter 101

no ad-libbin n***a just do like i do

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

She also somewhat scammed EA Sports Consultants out of a chunk of money for advertising, but repaid them pretty quickly when requested. I guess they (Phillips and Prasad) didn't want the risk of an actual legit business taking them to court. They'll gently caress people who've got no recourse, but not an actual company.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Henry Meowlins posted:

She also somewhat scammed EA Sports Consultants out of a chunk of money for advertising, but repaid them pretty quickly when requested. I guess they (Phillips and Prasad) didn't want the risk of an actual legit business taking them to court. They'll gently caress people who've got no recourse, but not an actual company.
This is probably why they stayed under the radar for so long. The rep from that company admits that they were reluctant to admit they got scammed, which is generally how these kinds of scammers continue to conduct their business.

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. White Christmas.

He's Mr. Snow.
AA posted a link to one of the @OhWonka guys' page that included a few emails between him and Phillips how she had Donald Trump Jr. as one of the investors for Sports Comedy Network, I guess. She also claimed to own part of ESPN Playbook?This whole story is so very bizarre. But I guess that's investigative meta-journalism for ya.

Link: http://xavier.tumblr.com/post/22276408146

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

Tae posted:

Almost no sports media is actually good at sports.

Excuse me.

But.

Not everyone is capable

of writing

columns like Dana O'Neil. It takes years

and years of training, dedication

, and experience.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Came in for the Sarah Phillips thing--this is the first time I had heard of her or the controversy. Oh, ESPN.

haljordan posted:

Estimates peg it at $4.69 per subscriber per month.

For perspective, TNT is around 99 cents, USA is 55 cents. In fact, almost every other channel is well under a dollar (most are even well under 50 cents).

Yes, even back in 2005 when I interned for some cable MSOs ESPN was more than ~$2/sub/month. That's not all though--you had to get ESPN2, ABC Family, and something else all packaged together and this raised the cost closer to $3.50. That was 7 years ago; I have no doubt that the $4.69 is on track.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

haljordan posted:

Estimates peg it at $4.69 per subscriber per month.

For perspective, TNT is around 99 cents, USA is 55 cents. In fact, almost every other channel is well under a dollar (most are even well under 50 cents).

How is this possible? USA gets slightly higher cable ratings than ESPN, yet is worth roughly one tenth as much?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Meat Recital posted:

How is this possible? USA gets slightly higher cable ratings than ESPN, yet is worth roughly one tenth as much?

Disney is a big old bully.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Meat Recital posted:

Because ESPN's advertising sales are through the roof, and keep going up the more sports move from OTA to basic cable.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Meat Recital posted:

People get very, very angry if you take away their sports, and they'll switch providers if you try to take it away from them. They don't get as pissed if you take away White Collar.

If I'm remembering Those Guys Have All The Fun correctly, it also has to do with how the initial deal with cable providers was set. There was some ridiculous escalator in the contract and the providers were under a lot of pressure to sign the deal.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

morestuff posted:

People get very, very angry if you take away their sports, and they'll switch providers if you try to take it away from them. They don't get as pissed if you take away White Collar.

If I'm remembering Those Guys Have All The Fun correctly, it also has to do with how the initial deal with cable providers was set. There was some ridiculous escalator in the contract and the providers were under a lot of pressure to sign the deal.

I'd be interested to see how much cable subscriptions spiked when ESPN got the MNF contract. That's a loving American institution, and I guarantee enough people got pissed at ABC losing it that they got cable just to watch it.

Admittedly, it may be a wash since NBC got SNF to fill the OTA primetime void.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 3, 2012

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Anytime NBC Sports is mentioned I immediately think of this and it makes me smile. It's also 100 percent correct.

TV contracts for sporting leagues/events are getting toward major bubble status. I bet they do increase over time but not by a hell of a lot. There's an upper bound here that will be reinforced by cable companies doing what they do screwing over their subscribers.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Benne posted:

I'd be interested to see how much cable subscriptions spiked when ESPN got the MNF contract. That's a loving American institution, and I guarantee enough people got pissed at ABC losing it that they got cable just to watch it.

Admittedly, it may be a wash since NBC got SNF to fill the OTA primetime void.

The total number of homes with cable has been on the decline since the beginning of the 08 recession. Granted, that decline is something like 99 million from 100 million, but still, there is one.

Also, if anyone here hasn't read the Chipmunk article from Grantland, go do it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
ESPN has a live chat going on with John Walsh, if that interests you at all.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Anytime NBC Sports is mentioned I immediately think of this
Holy poo poo that forehead

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Anytime NBC Sports is mentioned I immediately think of this and it makes me smile. It's also 100 percent correct.

TV contracts for sporting leagues/events are getting toward major bubble status. I bet they do increase over time but not by a hell of a lot. There's an upper bound here that will be reinforced by cable companies doing what they do screwing over their subscribers.

You know all Olympic stuff will now be streamed live without him at the helm? You do need a cable/satellite account but it's a hell of a step in the right direction. I'm sure if Ebersol was still head of NBC Sports all the big events would still be tape delayed to death.

Also, speaking of Disney being bullies, look at what they did circa 2000:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soapnet#2000.E2.80.9303

quote:

By the time Soapnet first aired on January 20, 2000, the channel aired only current ABC soap operas in the evening and early morning, so that people who worked during the day could watch at their convenience; programming was inclusive, as the channel is owned by ABC. Soapnet has high cable coverage due to Disney's aggressive policy of pulling ABC-owned broadcast stations and the popular ESPN channels from cable companies if they wouldn't agree to carry Soapnet as well; this was the main reason for WABC-TV being pulled from Time Warner Cable's New York City system for two days in May 2000, when it was originally controlled by Time Warner.[4]

And as of this year that channel doesn't even exist anymore. What nice foresight

I'm sure moving the BCS games to ESPN is also a big culprit. And I know in the ESPN book it said Disney bought ABC mainly for ESPN's untapped potential. They knew the channel's value well.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

morestuff posted:

ESPN has a live chat going on with John Walsh, if that interests you at all.

I am not out to flambé anyone but those questions are incredibly soft. Not surprising because I'm sure the last thing the network wants is for Walsh to be blindsided, but then again it's not a sit-down interview and he could have a PR consultant and a lawyer sitting right there with him. Just an observation.

edit: Then again it is ESPN essentially interviewing itself so it's even less surprising.

swizz fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 3, 2012

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Because ESPN's advertising sales are through the roof, and keep going up the more sports move from OTA to basic cable.

sports is also the only thing people don't DVR through, so the ad space is extremely important and lucrative.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Courtesy of Craig Calcaterra's twitter, Phil Mushnick thought it was a good idea to write this:

quote:

As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots — what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new “urban” home — why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment?
Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N------s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B----hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/double_standard_TFPqqilUHif01I9BKkQSkN/1

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 4, 2012

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I don't see Mushnick getting fired over this. He's been pretty consistent in his dislike of hip-hop culture for years now, often using the same kind of language. I enjoy Mushnick's columns, because he hates everyone and everything.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zeeman posted:

Courtesy of Craig Calcaterra's twitter, Phil Mushnick thought it was a good idea to write this:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/double_standard_TFPqqilUHif01I9BKkQSkN/1

This is the same newspaper that published this cartoon:

Editorial integrity isn't exactly a strong suit of the Post.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

TL posted:

I don't see Mushnick getting fired over this. He's been pretty consistent in his dislike of hip-hop culture black people for years now, often using the same kind of language. I enjoy Mushnick's columns, because he hates everyone and everything.

Edited for clarity.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
What are the odds his next column contains both, "its not fair that african americans get to use that word and rich old white men can't" and "I'm sorry if you were offended by my joke." 1 to 1000? 1 to 100000?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Toffile posted:

This is the same newspaper that published this cartoon:

Editorial integrity isn't exactly a strong suit of the Post.

:stare: This isn't really a Post cartoon, right?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It most certainly is.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Bizob posted:

What are the odds his next column contains both, "its not fair that african americans get to use that word and rich old white men can't" and "I'm sorry if you were offended by my joke." 1 to 1000? 1 to 100000?

Phil Mushnick posted:

Bob - Such obvious, wishful and ignorant mischaracterizations of what I write are common. I don't call black men the N-word; I don't regard young women as bitches and whores; I don't glorify the use of assault weapons and drugs. Jay-Z, on the other hand.....Is he the only NBA owner allowed to call black men N---ers?"

Jay-Z profits from the worst and most sustaining self-enslaving stereotypes of black-American culture and I'M the racist? Some truths, I guess, are just hard to read, let alone think about.

Congratulations, you have won crippling depression

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Mornacale posted:

Congratulations, you have won crippling depression

Neat. Great column, great guy.

Things I learned from Phil Mushnick: Jay-Z is the only NBA owner to have ever profited from something someone might consider morally objectionable.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Mornacale posted:

Is he the only NBA owner allowed to call black men N---ers?

I'm pretty sure Donald Sterling would have a bone to pick with that article.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Phil Mushnick posted:

Is he the only NBA owner allowed to call black men N---ers?

Michael Jordan still owns the Bobcats.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I'd be manic depressive too if my name was Phil Mushnick.

Even saying that name makes it sound terrible.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I guess I shouldn't be shocked that he's still being paid to write stuff, but I honestly kinda am. Even by the appallingly low standards of New York tabloid sports that is unbelievably awful.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So Nilish Prasad is basically the puppet master behind all of this, according to an update. He started dating Sarah when she was in junior high and he in high school. Here's an actual picture of the two of them from 2010 (source is deadspin)

So even the pictures that she now says are "really her" are fake. I really doubt she has even been the primary author of anything at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Henry Meowlins posted:

So Nilish Prasad is basically the puppet master behind all of this, according to an update. He started dating Sarah when she was in junior high and he in high school. Here's an actual picture of the two of them from 2010 (source is deadspin)

So even the pictures that she now says are "really her" are fake. I really doubt she has even been the primary author of anything at this point.

This is getting more :psyduck: by the day.