Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

When the wind pick ups, I just move closer to the basket before I shoot.

The wind was blowing about 15mph with gusts up to 25-30mph, basically straight left to right across the court. I tried to put a little 5-6 foot baby jumper in shooting into the wind and the ball was knocked down by the wind before it even got to the hoop. Going with the wind behind me was a little easier but even putting up layups off the glass where going all over the place because of the wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
At least you'll have a reason for missing shots, just shoot the ball.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Regnevelc posted:

At least you'll have a reason for missing shots, just shoot the ball.

Oh don't take my posts as me not shooting the ball, it's just I had no confidence in actually scoring a basket when I put the ball up.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Go for bank shots if the wind picks up. You can hit that square as hard as you want

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Does anyone else have those round backboards where they play? They're everywhere around here for some reason, and they mess with my bankshots.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

cisneros posted:

Does anyone else have those round backboards where they play? They're everywhere around here for some reason, and they mess with my bankshots.

There are some elementary schools around me that have them. I never understood why they made them like that.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Round backboards + stiff metal rims were the bane of my youth.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I hated double rims. Those things have no give to them.

I've also always had a problem shooting on rims that have no net. They just screw me up

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BIZORT posted:

Go for bank shots if the wind picks up. You can hit that square as hard as you want

I'll take some pictures later today, but we actually put a ball through the backboard last year and had to repair it with a sheet of lexan and some jb weld.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
To be honest, when the wind picks up that badly, I don't even like to make banked up layups. I just try my best to elevate and dunk it to ensure that the ball goes right into the hoop. I only do that on breakaway fast breaks though. The rest of the time I just try to finger roll it as close to the rim as I can.

Also, if you have to fix a backboard that was broken due to errant shots, it may be a problem.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Why didn't any of us think of just dunking the ball?

mrpurplecat
Mar 20, 2003
I'm in the process of getting back into ball shape after a 9 months off (travelling for work). Yesterday was the first time I haven't felt like a giant piece of poo poo, so I'm encouraged. The Y I play at plays games to 18, 2s and 3s, which I loving hate. Pickup ball with three pointers just turns into hero ball and is not much fun, especially if you don't know the people you are playing with. I much prefer my hometown Y's straight 7 by 1s.

I'm a 6'2 forward that played center in HS because our bigs were soft as gently caress, so I have a pretty good inside game based on a hook shot. If you play in the post and don't have a hook you are doing it wrong. It's unguardable. Not that I don't miss, I do, but it's not because of defense. It's one of those shots where if someone actually does something to contest it you can beat them with another move immediately. Seriously, biggest tip for someone starting out in the post, get a hook.

In pickup ball I usually go for the Bill Russell method, play defense, rebound, score when it's there, win. If I'm forced to I can be the alpha, but I have to do it as a volume scorer, which I don't like. I need five or six "no consequence" shots to get a rhythm and most people will ice you out if they don't fall.

I'm not much of a poo poo talker, but in the last few weeks of playing I've been laying into this one guy that I loving hate. He jacks up 30 footers all day long with the worst form on earth and yells at his team for not hustling enough (from the perimeter). The worst part is that he calls fouls every time he drives if you make contact with his off forearm which he extends as a shield. Yesterday he called it and I asked him to tell me where he got fouled, to which he said that he got pushed. I told him that he was a lair and that was a coward's call. His team laughed.

Also, I've pioneered a psychological game that I call reverse intimidation. I wear knee high socks, big throwback shoes (currently Dee Brown pumps from a thrift store with good insoles), ankle and knee braces (needed), slightly too short shorts, and a headband. I also hit the inhaler in my pocket on the reg. If you set the bar low then catch or swat someone's first layup attempt back to half court it is the height of comedy.

Glad I found this thread.

Anyone in northside Chicago play anywhere good? I'm down here for another month.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

BIZORT posted:

Why didn't any of us think of just dunking the ball?

Dunking hurts people's feelings.

I've been dunked on. :saddowns:

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
If you want to get a lot of blocks in pickup games, just float around without guarding your man, and then wait for the opponent to get hacked by someone else on your team, and block his shot while he can't see you or do anything about it. Somehow, this also works in the NBA, and you can get to be a DPOY candidate by doing nothing but that.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I get most of my blocks when people try to do those little base line floaters from about 8 to 10 feet. As soon as I see them pick up their dribble I leave my man and pack that poo poo.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
The best is when "your man" is the guy who gets gassed after running the court 4 times in the beginning, you know he's not going to be doing much in the game. Help defense is so much fun because nobody is really looking for you.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

smarion2 posted:

The best is when "your man" is the guy who gets gassed after running the court 4 times in the beginning, you know he's not going to be doing much in the game. Help defense is so much fun because nobody is really looking for you.

But he's also the guy who cherrypicks, so you have to run the full court everytime the other team gets a rebound.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The best is when the guy who calls point also loves barking instructions and helpful criticisms at everyone on the team, yet never ever passes it and insists on going 1 on 5 while everyone else stands around. Then gets mad when people stop hustling to grab his 500th bricked shot, or stop even bothering to get open since everyone knows the most he'll do is use you as an extremely unconvincing pass fake before trying another wild drive.

Then tries to provide everyone with helpful lectures after your team loses about what they could've done better. I've played with like 3 of these guys in the past week and I'm convinced someone is going to kill them.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Mandrel posted:

The best is when the guy who calls point also loves barking instructions and helpful criticisms at everyone on the team, yet never ever passes it and insists on going 1 on 5 while everyone else stands around. Then gets mad when people stop hustling to grab his 500th bricked shot, or stop even bothering to get open since everyone knows the most he'll do is use you as an extremely unconvincing pass fake before trying another wild drive.

Then tries to provide everyone with helpful lectures after your team loses about what they could've done better. I've played with like 3 of these guys in the past week and I'm convinced someone is going to kill them.

I try to counter that by telling him instructions to pass it to every player but yourself, so he doesn't just shrug you off as trying to steal his thunder or whatever the hell is going through his mind. Just every time he fucks up, tell him who he had open.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
THAT guy was always at a gym I used to play at a couple of years ago. If I had his ego, I would run for president of the world. He was always telling everyone what to do. He took every shot. He wanted to play point guard, even though he had no left hand and his right hand was poo poo. Whenever someone scored against him in a full court game, he would challenge that guy to play 1-on-1 afterwards. And 9 times out of 10 he would lose, which naturally didnīt face him at all. His name was Ivan and he will always have a special place in my heart.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Guys, I need some help. I play post with the pickup group I play with because I am 6' which is close to the tallest and I'm 200 lbs from weight lifting (not just eating Cheetoes and drink Mountain Dew), and I have a terrible, god awful, ugly outside shot from anything farther than six feet. I have a pretty good pump fake that I use to get my guy off his feet and then pivot to get an easy layup, but I have a really bad problem with traveling. I don't even know I am doing it, but I get called for it a couple times every game. Is there some big man travel move that I don't know about but am doing? I've asked the people I'm playing with and all I get is a "You traveled dude, how do you not see that" or "Stop shuffling your feet" or something like that but I don't do it on purpose or know I am doing it, so it's pretty worthless.

Edit - mrpurplecat, I play in the NW burbs (Park Ridge) if you are interested in joining us for outdoor games (weather permitting).

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 2, 2012

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

americanzero4128 posted:

Guys, I need some help. I play post with the pickup group I play with because I am 6' which is close to the tallest and I'm 200 lbs from weight lifting (not just eating Cheetoes and drink Mountain Dew), and I have a terrible, god awful, ugly outside shot from anything farther than six feet. I have a pretty good pump fake that I use to get my guy off his feet and then pivot to get an easy layup, but I have a really bad problem with traveling. I don't even know I am doing it, but I get called for it a couple times every game. Is there some big man travel move that I don't know about but am doing? I've asked the people I'm playing with and all I get is a "You traveled dude, how do you not see that" or "Stop shuffling your feet" or something like that but I don't do it on purpose or know I am doing it, so it's pretty worthless.

Edit - mrpurplecat, I play in the NW burbs (Park Ridge) if you are interested in joining us for outdoor games (weather permitting).

My guess? You keep picking up your dribble. Don't do that.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

americanzero4128 posted:

It's possible you're sliding your pivot foot after picking up your dribble. It's also just as possible they don't know what a travel is, or they do and they're calling it because they're being a bitch and can't stop you otherwise.

I'd recommend getting out there alone and trying to visualize someone defending you, and running through the motions of your post moves while paying special attention to what your feet are doing. Try and do it exactly like you do during a game, or maybe get a friend to come and defend you while watching your feet. See if you're traveling, or if they're just assholes. If it's the latter, post them up and knock their rear end down, then probably find new people to play with.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

If you're not experienced or simply get excited that you're left open for an easy shot, you'll shuffle your feet and travel. The easy answer is to tell you to calm down a bit. You just need to dribble the ball before you move your pivot foot. What you're doing is going at the basket and not dribbling before making your move, hence 'getting excited.'

ChuckNade376
Mar 13, 2008

MOTHERFUCKER. It is going to happen.
I am a 5' 10" big man and have been trying to work on my up and under as well as my hook. I usually run a pick and roll game, I would recommend focusing on your triple threat before you dribble so that you can fall back to the dribble rather than begin with it.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Whatever you do, don't be one of those guys that do skyhooks.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

cisneros posted:

I can make a skyhook if I push off, so it's only in friendly games of 21 that it comes out.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

ChuckNade376 posted:

I am a 5' 10" big man and have been trying to work on my up and under

I love burning people with up and unders. Every game I'll get someone at least once or twice because in pick up games almost everyone just jumps to try to block a shot whenever you vaguely look like you are going to shoot. It is so satisfying.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Jota posted:

I love burning people with up and unders. Every game I'll get someone at least once or twice because in pick up games almost everyone just jumps to try to block a shot whenever you vaguely look like you are going to shoot. It is so satisfying.

The problem is you only get to use it once. If it works twice then the guy playing you just isn't paying attention

My favorite move is is when I get a board right under the basket with a guy on my back and I just get low, hit him with my rear end to get some space and I go right back up. Works almost every time. If you're down low, even as a skinnier guy like me, use your rear end to get space

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

BIZORT posted:

The problem is you only get to use it once. If it works twice then the guy playing you just isn't paying attention

Yeah definitely. To pull it off on the same guy more than once he needs to think he's Serge Ibaka and tries to block everything.

I just love it since I'll get matched up with dudes way bigger than me a lot and it pisses my defender off so much every single time. I love it. Plus after I do it I can pretty much get my shot off wherever I want.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Jota posted:

Yeah definitely. To pull it off on the same guy more than once he needs to think he's Serge Ibaka and tries to block everything.
Which means he's obviously a very good, nay: great defender!

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

BIZORT posted:

That's the thing though, after you get it once every other shot becomes infinitely easier as they'll be too scared to go for another block for at least 5min.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

cisneros posted:

I hit two skyhooks today, it owned so much.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

If you aren't practicing the Dream Shake instead of fundamentals, I don't even want to know you

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

If you aren't practicing the Dream Shake instead of fundamentals, I don't even want to know you

I practice pretty much nothing but baseline shimmy shake turnaround fadeaways

My inability to consistently hit jumpers from anywhere else is a source of personal shame, but nobody notices because if I can hit that shot, obviously I could hit it from anywhere else too

Apply Kobe logic to your everyday pick-up game

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

spamman posted:

That's the thing though, after you get it once every other shot becomes infinitely easier as they'll be too scared to go for another block for at least 5min.

Or the guy isn't a dipshit that jumps every time you pump fake or shoot and actually plays defense

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

BIZORT posted:

Or the guy isn't a dipshit that jumps every time you pump fake or shoot and actually plays defense

I haven't come across too many of them in pickup games to be honest. They seem to either jump all the time or not jump at all.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've picked up two moves that are working out great for me. The first one I turn around at the top of the key and put the ball in my left hand as I back in. When the guy goes for the steal I turn to his off hand and dribble down lane for a floater or layup.

Then I found myself constantly ending up under the basket for rebounds because no one else does that. I'm 5'9 and never post up but constantly found myself with offensive rebounds near the low block. I crook the ball and pivot to the left acting like I'm passing it then I pivot back and put it on the glass. Both moves are so great because everyone in street ball bites on fakes or goes after steals and blocks the first time every time.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah I find that most people don't box out very well defensively so its really easy to just slide in underneath and get the easy put back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Last night, my league team lost our championship on a one handed, 28' 3 to beat the buzzer.

I am sad.

• Locked thread