Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeffb
Jan 4, 2007

Narmi posted:

So that this doesn't turn into a huge derail...

Only so many times I can repeat myself... It's clear he isn't talking about stretch goals and the context of the additional content is based on it not being in the original game published some 25 odd years ago, not something they've come up with spur of the moment. He states quite clearly that this content is part of the set funding goal, not a stretch target or whatever else you dream up.

One last time, this content is not extra content to this Kickstarter project, it is extra content to the original game. All you have to do is read, its not magic.

If it wasn't for the fact that Kickstarters live or die based on word of mouth I wouldn't have even responded in the first place as you don't even seem to understand the point you're trying to argue. Hopefully other people ignore Narmi and just read the update for themselves.

I guess that is one the main weaknesses of Kickstarter funding, its all too easy for the community to misunderstand your project and once they move on hard to get them back on side. There is also some interesting ethical questions involving people intentionally misleading the community, who are essentially potential investors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Legend of the Time Star might end up a nice game. If a bit generic looking. And sounding. But I guess that happens when you go for fantasy action rpg nostalgia.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

You guys can let it go instead of arguing about it. No punishments threatened, but you're just repeating yourselves now.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

NINbuntu 64 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgilq-ryLvo

Yogeventures posted another update and, honestly? I'm not regretting having sent them some money because even in this very early state it's got some of the base elements of the features they were talking about. It's miles away from being an actual game and it STILL bothers me that they're using the default Unity 3D third-person character controller and I almost want to send them the character controller I wrote myself with the license being "stop using the loving default character controller."

It's nice that there are constant updates about the progress though and it's shaping up nicely instead of like babby's first Unity game.

I sent them a question yesterday about platforms and distribution, and how I liked to see the updates, escpecially the ones that showed off the terrain deformation, and recieved a very polite answer only a few minutes afterwards.

It was a very nice thing and I'm also not regretting sinking 15 dollars into this project.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Indiegogo is a bit of a wasteland usually but I found some interesting projects (and also some "interesting" ones):

Thomas was alone

http://www.indiegogo.com/thomaswasalone

Cute (puzzleish) platformer with minimalistic graphics and interesting atmosphere. Narration is a very nice touch. I really like the look of this so it's a bit of a shame it's not doing that well.

You get copy at: $20
Funding goal: $4,000

Kenshi

http://www.indiegogo.com/kenshi

RPG/RTS hybrid. Frankly, I had mixed feelings when I started watching the video and saw dudes awkwardly swinging katanas at each other and poo poo interface. I really like the scope of the game though. It seems kinda like Mount & Blade in post apocalyptic world. You can also build your own base, become a faction and have fairly large scale battles. Then the giant anime sword came out. I am a bit conflicted about this.

You get copy at: $10
Funding goal: $40,000

Xtreme... Fairground Simulator?

http://www.indiegogo.com/xfs

I guess I will just quote their page:

quote:

XFS is the most realistic Fairground simulator to date. The idea behind this game is for you to not only enjoy the Attractions / riding the Attractions, but also control the Attractions! In XFS you are capable of completely control each and every Attraction individually, with everything there is to it, inside a realistic atmosphere.

All Attractions are modeled as realistic as possible.
Original Control Panel, to Control the Attractions by Mouse or Keyboard.
Realistic Physics behaviour
Original Light & Sound effects
Able to ride every Attraction yourself, getting you sick behind your Computer!
Day-Night cycle, including Real-time Shadows.

I guess... it's a joke? Or someone wants to make a fairground simulator? I am going to sit down for a bit.

You get copy at: $50 for beta access to the wait why am I even writing this :wtc:

Mq fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 5, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I'd play the gently caress out of a fairground sim.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I wonder if I can catch simulated hepatitis when a simulated one-armed carny spits into the simulated corndog batter.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd only play it if it was like Theme Park, letting me control the attraction.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mordaedil posted:

I'd only play it if it was like Theme Park, letting me control the attraction.

To re-create a certain scene from Problem Child 2?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Kinda sad we still aren't notable to the OP :(

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanpollman/kinetic-void

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Your World ends in 20 minutes. It's at $21,345 of $1,100,000 with 109 backers. It's not even funny since you can't laugh at all the people who bought into Millionaire Eggman's bullshit considering he was given media coverage more than once. It's only 109 backers, only 109 poor souls who wanted to be a horse with demon legs and angel wings.

vvvvv well, that will be something to look forward to.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 3, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Since he's said it's going to be released regardless of how the Kickstarer goes I can't wait to see how the project unfolds.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

LumberingTroll posted:

I mentioned it to him on steam, he has just been busy lately. :)

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LumberingTroll posted:

Well, at least know that after passing on backing the game due to it being (what I assumed was) Yet Another Space Game, I clicked the link and actually READ the pitch this time, and now I'm in for $20. This game looks fun as hell.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It's probably been mentioned already but I'm kinda sad that RamBros isn't doing very well.

It looks like a fun and fast side scrolling shooter from someone who already has several well done indie games under his wing.

I mean this looks like tons of fun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Haha so it's basically a Cold War era version of Cave Story? That owns.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's probably been mentioned already but I'm kinda sad that RamBros isn't doing very well.

There's a reason for that. Not only is it in indiegogo which nobody knows about and the media offers no coverage of, but "This campaign will receive all of the funds contributed" is the biggest POS and obstacle indiegogo is suffering from one day becoming a proper alternative to kickstarter.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Saoshyant posted:

There's a reason for that. Not only is it in indiegogo which nobody knows about and the media offers no coverage of, but "This campaign will receive all of the funds contributed" is the biggest POS and obstacle indiegogo is suffering from one day becoming a proper alternative to kickstarter.

Yes and yes. Completely agree. I just liked it well enough to contribute anyway.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Saoshyant posted:

As it stands, indiegogo seems like a much more expensive paypal.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Well, at least know that after passing on backing the game due to it being (what I assumed was) Yet Another Space Game, I clicked the link and actually READ the pitch this time, and now I'm in for $20. This game looks fun as hell.

Awesome! Dont forget to check out the Shipyard, people are having a blast making ships.

Tsurupettan posted:

I mentioned it to him on steam, he has just been busy lately. :)

Thanks a lot :krad:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Hope Indiegogo gets it poo poo together and then gets media coverage because so many awesome games that would be funded in a blink on KS are not getting fully funded.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

lordfrikk posted:

Hope Indiegogo gets it poo poo together and then gets media coverage because so many awesome games that would be funded in a blink on KS are not getting fully funded.

This a thousand times over. So many great projects that either don't get anywhere close to their incredibly reasonable goals or barely making it, when it clearly would do way better on KS.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LumberingTroll posted:

Awesome! Dont forget to check out the Shipyard, people are having a blast making ships.

Oh, I will when I get home. I wanna build a really big ship. :)

And by the way, we live immortalized on Wikipedia now, apparently, for our efforts in blowing up Mythic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter#Projects_cancelled_for_potentially_fraudulent_activity

Well, sort of. WE don't get mentioned in article or anything.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

1) There's no decent Kickstarter for Europeans.
2) What's the problem with "This campaign will receive all of the funds contributed"? Or does that just tie into the general trust issue with Kickstarter (e.g. people not legally obliged to finish and release their product when their donation target is met)?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

StevenM posted:

1) There's no decent Kickstarter for Europeans.

And indiegogo isn't it either.

StevenM posted:

2) What's the problem with "This campaign will receive all of the funds contributed"?

If you claim you can make a game if you reach at the very minimum an X amount of money, how do you keep making that game if you don't reach X? What will the money be used for, then? Make half a game? A third of a game?

You don't have a guarantee with kickstarter that if a project hits its fund goal that you'll get a finished product out of it as promised. It's a risk, but a calculated one. Bad projects don't reach their goals most of the time. You don't have this basic protection with indiegogo's way of doing business.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

There's possibly some legal catches that makes donating money to whoever you want undesirable.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

And by the way, we live immortalized on Wikipedia now, apparently, for our efforts in blowing up Mythic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter#Projects_cancelled_for_potentially_fraudulent_activity

Well, sort of. WE don't get mentioned in article or anything.
Well, at least the article cites one of the news sources that gave these forums credit for it! That is totally immortality. Now all we have to do is kick back and let LordFrikk's royalties make us all rich.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Saoshyant posted:

Your World ends in 20 minutes. It's at $21,345 of $1,100,000 with 109 backers. It's not even funny since you can't laugh at all the people who bought into Millionaire Eggman's bullshit considering he was given media coverage more than once. It's only 109 backers, only 109 poor souls who wanted to be a horse with demon legs and angel wings.

vvvvv well, that will be something to look forward to.

The real interesting bit is that 2 of those backers pledged $10,000 each. I actually wonder if those 2 are actually Millionaire Eggman or friends of his who just wanted the total to be more than 1% of the goal.

If you take those two out of the equation, then it's only $1,345 of $1,100,000, or 0.1% of the goal amount.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Saoshyant posted:

If you claim you can make a game if you reach at the very minimum an X amount of money, how do you keep making that game if you don't reach X? What will the money be used for, then? Make half a game? A third of a game?

You don't have a guarantee with kickstarter that if a project hits its fund goal that you'll get a finished product out of it as promised. It's a risk, but a calculated one. Bad projects don't reach their goals most of the time. You don't have this basic protection with indiegogo's way of doing business.

The whole flexible thing is complete bullshit, but I don't mind in this case because the guy has a solid track record when it comes to his indie games so if it goes into the game as he promises than I'm fine with him not making his goal.

But yeah, I'd fault no one in saying 'gently caress this' even in this case.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Mug posted:

I'm funding my video game development out of my own pocket at the moment, but I'm going to have to pay an artist and music/sound engineer soon (I already have people lined up and they aren't really expecting big dollars but I want to reimburse them to a decent degree).

I've been selling my old games and video game consoles on eBay to save up money to do this. I'm in Australia so I'm not even able to do a kickstarter, has anyone heard anything about the alternative https://www.pozible.com.au ? It seems a lot more heavily moderated. I doubt I'd have any trouble getting an invitation to start a project on there, but I literally only just discovered them today and wondered if anyone had heard much about them.

But theres plenty of australian kickstarter projects? Why do you think you can't do australian projects on kickstarter?

e: Ahh.... theres a rule about it. I wonder why there are so many australian projects on there then? Weird.

e2: By the way http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684781151/legends-of-eisenwald looks awesome.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 3, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Saoshyant posted:

This is exactly why we raised our goal from 10k to 60k, sure 10k would have been a gimme, but it wouldn't allow us to finish the game. 60k gives us 6 months of development time. Enough to finish our current plans. Ever 10k after that, is another month, and makes the game better. We hope that this, plus the fact that we are very active with the community, and release constant updates (usually 1 - 2 mid week mini patches, and then a weekly content/feature patch) That will will reach, and hopefully pass our goal.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

The implied answer is "well you just don't/can't", but there has to be an alternative to just going "80,000 DOLLARS AMASSED WITH A 100,000 DOLLAR GOAL AND THE DEADLINE HAS PASSED? YOU LOSE, YOU GET NOTHING, GOOD DAY SIR".

Edit: actually they could always resort to desperate and shameful means, like getting a loan, but in that case why bring the campaign to Kickstarter/IndieGoGo at all

StevenM fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 3, 2012

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

seorin posted:

This Storybricks kickstarter looks like it could be interesting. The concept seems kind of weird, but I think that makes it a better candidate for kickstarter than a lot of the more traditional games. I was interested just from Chris Avellone's endorsement, but looking closer, it seems like he's actually advising the team directly, which sounds pretty loving cool. They also have the guy who made Eversion working on it, which makes me want to donate even more.

Glad to see this made it here.

I've worked with many of the people involved in this project in the past. Was part of a small scale game review type site with many of them, and I can definitely say that Psychochild knows his stuff -- we've spoken a few times in the past at E3 and such when we were out there covering it for our site.

I'm really hoping to see this thing take off -- from those I know that are part of the team, I can definitely say they've poured a lot of time and effort into this. Given that, this'll probably be the first kickstarter I put something in on.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

On the bright side, I wouldn't be surprise od the media coverage Your World brought to Kickstarter has probably helped a few other projects do well, just in terms of exposure they normally wouldn't have gotten.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

quote:

Update #28: We are done!
Posted less than a minute ago

Well with kickstater that is. So I want to send out a great big thanks to everyone who supported the project. Who donated because they believe in the project and who believe in me. We are still going forward and will continue to make this game a reality. So keep looking at the website and sign up to get updates. As we build content we will post it there.

To all the haters out there. Keep up he good work. You have been fun to play with. It will be great when the game comes out and you all are playing it and biting your tongue the entire time. Have fun.

Just FYI this is my last message here. I won't be looking at kickstater ever again. Should we try crowdfunding again we will use another services.

Again thanks. http://www.yourworldinc.com
:laugh:

loving lol. The system works.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

StevenM posted:

The implied answer is "well you just don't/can't", but there has to be an alternative to just going "80,000 DOLLARS AMASSED WITH A 100,000 DOLLAR GOAL AND THE DEADLINE HAS PASSED? YOU LOSE, YOU GET NOTHING, GOOD DAY SIR".

Goal tiers would probably help with that assuming the people who start a project asking for funding understand how they're meant to be used and fully explain what is and isn't possible at each tier and which tier they consider to be fully funded - if a game can come out with only $50,000 but the release date will have to be pushed back a year or two, the devs of such a game could have a $50,000 goal tier under their $100,000 goal tier which would allow for funding if it's not as high as hoped for but still respectable. Full protection of investors in this would probably mean giving investors the option to not allow their funds to go through if the project isn't funded within a certain level, though, otherwise there'd be the temptation to nickel and dime the project to the point where it's as bad as the flexible funding option. It probably wouldn't work out in the end a whole lot better than just the status quo for underfunded projects - I really see it being generally more useful with implementing stretch goals for funding into things other than KS updates to be honest, which could maybe be displayed if and when the devs think of them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh, sweet, just ordered 6 cases of hookerbot swag: http://www.cafepress.com/yourworldinc

quote:

We are now selling a number of products with our unique hookerbot graphic on them.

So unique!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

seorin posted:

This Storybricks kickstarter looks like it could be interesting. The concept seems kind of weird, but I think that makes it a better candidate for kickstarter than a lot of the more traditional games. I was interested just from Chris Avellone's endorsement, but looking closer, it seems like he's actually advising the team directly, which sounds pretty loving cool. They also have the guy who made Eversion working on it, which makes me want to donate even more.

They have an interesting pledge tier that we as a community could take advantage of, if we get 50 people, which pitch in $50 each, we can all get alpha access and lifetime subscriptions... I am very interested in this, and would be willing to organize it if there is interest.

I've set up a google dock to start organizing. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmC3HKYxUU_fdHhhNWxFVGd1VHpmWW9LcllObFhTb3c

if we get enough participants we will make the pledge, otherwise, no one has to send cash.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 3, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

LumberingTroll posted:

This is exactly why we raised our goal from 10k to 60k, sure 10k would have been a gimme, but it wouldn't allow us to finish the game. 60k gives us 6 months of development time. Enough to finish our current plans. Ever 10k after that, is another month, and makes the game better. We hope that this, plus the fact that we are very active with the community, and release constant updates (usually 1 - 2 mid week mini patches, and then a weekly content/feature patch) That will will reach, and hopefully pass our goal.

Gimme. I'm trying to limit my kicksterter impulse spending (i'm a bit broke atm), but I've thrown you a tenner, because that poo poo looks fun. Try and bring it to mac if you can!

e: Make sure you spam that poo poo out to the indy gaming press, and you should probably go tout it on the goonfleet forums (is there still a goonfleet forums, I havent played eve in years?) because seriously dude theres a few thousand spacegame nerds who'd love that poo poo.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

duck monster posted:

:laugh:

loving lol. The system works.

Their website is solid gold.

Your World Inc posted:

We are seeking $5 million which will enable us to begin development and get a beta version of the game released to the public in 8 (eight) months. We expect to provide an exit within [2] years by a dividend of excess profits and a rate of return of 35%.

Your World Inc posted:

Sales are based on 500K subscribers in the 1st year and increasing to 1 million users conservatively at the end of 4 years and sales increase of about 10% to 13% minimum each year.