Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do quickstep gems only benefit the wearer? I like having Riki in the lead but I need all his gem slots for killing power, can I put them on Shulk or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

YggiDee posted:

Do quickstep gems only benefit the wearer? I like having Riki in the lead but I need all his gem slots for killing power, can I put them on Shulk or something?
Sorry dude, the party leader has to be wearing the quickstep gems in order for you to actually move quicker on the overworld. You could switch characters when you want the speed boost, but that doesn't seem very practical, especially in areas with loads of monsters.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

What's the name of the track that plays in like every cutscene where Shulk gets pissed off and charges at things with the Monado? Like, the cutscenes where he gets a new power after seeing a vision?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Tupperwarez posted:

Sorry dude, the party leader has to be wearing the quickstep gems in order for you to actually move quicker on the overworld. You could switch characters when you want the speed boost, but that doesn't seem very practical, especially in areas with loads of monsters.

Well, I suppose I can part with one Ether+ gem. I'll deal.

TurnipFritter posted:

What's the name of the track that plays in like every cutscene where Shulk gets pissed off and charges at things with the Monado? Like, the cutscenes where he gets a new power after seeing a vision?

I believe that track your talking about is Confrontation With the Enemy, and if it isn't, it drat well should be.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Well, I suppose I can part with one Ether+ gem. I'll deal.

I believe that track your talking about is Confrontation With the Enemy, and if it isn't, it drat well should be.

It is, thank you.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I just finished the sequence of rescuing that little poo poo from the mines.

OH gently caress THEY TALK!

This game is like a never ending series of poo poo got real moments, it's great.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JuJu sounds like the name of a trained monkey

"No! Give back Juju! No Juju! Quit throwing your poop at the Mechon! You're just making them angrier!"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally got Riki to join my party. Heropon best-pon :allears: and wow he's got some pretty crazy skills. Going to have to grind his affinity so everyone else can get in on those.

Speaking of skill trees, a couple questions:

-If a skill is labeled "Always Active", is it truly always active or only active so long as that skill tree is highlighted? I've had Reyn on Diligence ever since Skill Trees became a thing as every skill on that path is an Always Active entry.
-What are these fourth and fifth skill trees I keep hearing about? Without going into spoiler detail, how do I unlock them?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Once you've learned a skill, it's stuck with you forever. I'm pretty sure "Always Active" refers to whether or not the skill applies if the character is in the current party. Like, Shulk has a skill that increases how often you get Fever while crafting, and I'm pretty sure it applies to everyone all the time.

Each character has two bonus skill trees. My basic understanding is that if you ever want to see them, you need to be doing More Sidequests, and you need to be doing more sidequests for a long, long time.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I was really enjoying this game story-wise until it completely stops making sense. Someone please tell me these plot holes get patched up at the end (I just watched the cutscene in the tower at agniratha).

If the bionis and the mechonis are moving around and poo poo, anything on them would be almost immediately thrown off into the ocean and killed. Even if you were like inside the bionis or something, you'd get thrown against the wall with great force enough times to pulverize you. I mean, I just assumed that all life sprung up after they became dormant because there's no way anything could survive from before. Then I talked to the machina chief guy who was like "yeah, I remember the great battle, no I don't recall the laws of physics being completely different back then why do you ask?"

Another thing that made no sense:

So they made it kind of predictable that the bionis was the real bad guy the whole time and the mechons are just trying to justifiably get revenge. The thing that really pissed me off was how everyone was getting along great and suddenly BIONIS ATTACKS for no apparent reason. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a crappy plot if people/things just do stuff with no conceivable motivation behind it. Someone please tell me this gets explained at the end.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

I was really enjoying this game story-wise until it completely stops making sense. Someone please tell me these plot holes get patched up at the end (I just watched the cutscene in the tower at agniratha).

If the bionis and the mechonis are moving around and poo poo, anything on them would be almost immediately thrown off into the ocean and killed. Even if you were like inside the bionis or something, you'd get thrown against the wall with great force enough times to pulverize you. I mean, I just assumed that all life sprung up after they became dormant because there's no way anything could survive from before. Then I talked to the machina chief guy who was like "yeah, I remember the great battle, no I don't recall the laws of physics being completely different back then why do you ask?"

It is a videogame where people use special magic powers and nothing makes much sense if applied to real world logic, especially later parts.

Just forget about stuff like that and enjoy the ride, as there will be some stuff that makes absolutely no sense in how it works. You need to ignore it for a setting/world that just wanted to be unique instead of generic fantasy land again.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

YggiDee posted:

Oh yeah, that's gotta be it.

It's got such a buildup, too. It's stirring to begin with, but when the choir kick in around halfway through, it rockets right into :black101:-overload.

The only problem with this music is that it doesn't loop, and only plays through once whenever these scenes come up before switching to normal boss music. This sort of thing needs to play through entire fights.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Lots of Spoilers

There's a bit more to the story that you haven't seen yet, everything'll become clear within the next two-three hours of gameplay (Unless you're a muppet like me and spend four-five hours side-questing there :( )

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm at the point where you fight Egil in Mechonis Core and I'm level 69. The FAQ says that Alcamoth will be locked out after this fight, and I'd like to finish off some quests there. However, when I try and access the map I can't fast travel anywhere. Do I have to revert to an older save, before I beat the Apocrypha generator in order to get access earlier areas?

Edit: Never mind, I found that if you talk to Migol you can access previous areas.

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 3, 2012

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010
At what point in the story can I begin the Colony 6 reconstruction side-quest?

I'm already in Makna Forest and I still don't have the option of moving the refugees.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

is there a way to change which party member you're playing as?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

ZebTM posted:

is there a way to change which party member you're playing as?

Just put them as the middle party member (the one with 1 to the left of their name) in the party screen.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Alectai posted:

There's a bit more to the story that you haven't seen yet, everything'll become clear within the next two-three hours of gameplay (Unless you're a muppet like me and spend four-five hours side-questing there :( )

That's good to hear. I guess I was mostly annoyed that vanea kept hyping up that event as "everything will be explained"/"all will be clear", so naturally I felt kind of cheated when it didn't really explain everything and made the situation less clear imo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

LeeDless posted:

I'm already in Makna Forest and I still don't have the option of moving the refugees.

You have to talk to Otharon at the entrance to Colony 6, who gives you a quest to clear some monsters on Raguel Bridge. Once you do that, you have to go to the refugee camp and tell Juju to move everyone.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

LeeDless posted:

You can start around the time you reach the end of Satorl Marsh. Colony 6 will be open for entry, but mostly wreckage. If I recall, you're given a quest that sends you to do a few things on Bionis' Leg, and once that's done you'll be given the option, at the Refugee Camp, to have everyone pack up and move. FYI, that's when the timed quests for the area expire.

From that point, prepare yourself for a lot of fetch-quest and moneysink-type activity, but you should be good if you've hung on to a lot of random items and haven't bought much but manuals from shops. A tip: If you've been keeping up to date with the item collection log, it serves as a handy reference on where to find most of the stuff you'll need if you ever find yourself lacking.

If you're at Makna now, you should be able to advance most of the stuff up to level 2, and subsequent advances require goods you can obtain from progressively higher-level areas.

If you haven't already, you should definitely at least raise it all up to level 1. The reward that you receive allows you to create gems on the go. Talk to the gem merchant in Colony 9 for the related quest.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Affection:
If you play a lot with them, it'll come naturally after a while. ...But really, you probably won't need to grind for party affection.

This is most applicable to new players. I used nearly the same people for most of the game and didn't realize I should be working on affection until I got that quest in Colony 9 where you need a maxed affinity between two females. At that point none of them was greater than level 2, so that was a painful grind. I ended up gifting as much as possible between all the target members and fighting with specific leaders, now my lowest affinity is the fluffy fuchsia cloud. Still got some to go, gonna be tough since everyone's level 99 and there aren't too many places with enemies tough enough to go on a murdering spree for affinity opportunities.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Xenoblade brings us the heartfelt message that murdering together makes you better friends.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mazed posted:

Xenoblade brings us the heartfelt message that murdering together makes you better friends.

That's actually one of the unique things about this game- in lots of other RPGs (moreso jRPGs), your characters can be friends, rivals etc. with one another but it almost never really is apparent in the game outside of plot stuff. Here, being friends with your teammates is actually a gameplay mechanism (encouraging others during battle) that has impact on how you develop your characters (skill links, gem crafting to a lesser extent). Maybe I just missed all the good examples of this in other games but this is maybe the first time where I've felt my party is a team that cares about one another.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

C-Euro posted:

That's actually one of the unique things about this game- in lots of other RPGs (moreso jRPGs), your characters can be friends, rivals etc. with one another but it almost never really is apparent in the game outside of plot stuff. Here, being friends with your teammates is actually a gameplay mechanism (encouraging others during battle) that has impact on how you develop your characters (skill links, gem crafting to a lesser extent). Maybe I just missed all the good examples of this in other games but this is maybe the first time where I've felt my party is a team that cares about one another.

That's actually something the developers explicitly set out to accomplish, which lead to the heart-to-hearts spread throughout the game. What's nice is that you don't have to do it, but the rewards for raising affinity between party members does a lot of great things, like increases the interesting conversations they have during battle.

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anyone know if every 3 person party has a unique after battle conversation? I assume they do, but I haven't built up enough affinity to be sure yet.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Raptor1033 posted:

This is most applicable to new players. I used nearly the same people for most of the game and didn't realize I should be working on affection until I got that quest in Colony 9 where you need a maxed affinity between two females.

This is the worst quest.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

C-Euro posted:

It's true, and this is the reason why I don't think I've ever felt as truly invested and engaged by the central cast of a video game since maybe...Chrono Trigger? And I'm not sure even then.

The way the combat dialogue is in Xenoblade, it's a fantastic antidote to boredom during grinding--not that this game requires too much of it, but the various exchanges and the easy delivery of the voicework makes it seem a lot more like they're out having an adventure, alleviating the feeling that you're just mechanically repeating actions.

The little nooks and crannies tucked away throughout the environments are a godsend for this as well. The plot has plenty of grand twists and reveals, but you still get those pure-gameplay moments you remember just as well, like sneaking through that lizard-man castle in the marsh because some totally random side quest led you there, or finding a concealed path in the forest that twists and turns before finally opening up to a spectacular view of the falls.

Agh, dammit all, video game, why you gotta make me feel that feeling you remember back when every game was this great?

TurnipFritter posted:

This is the worst quest.

Yeah, even when you have friggin' quests like this. :v:

Melia needs to open up more. She's been in the group pratically since she showed up but she's only just now giving me a faint green smiley-face with Shulk as we're done with Makna and a bunch of other side quests.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

That's good to hear. I guess I was mostly annoyed that vanea kept hyping up that event as "everything will be explained"/"all will be clear", so naturally I felt kind of cheated when it didn't really explain everything and made the situation less clear imo.

It all makes more sense when you realize that Vanea doesn't know a whole lot more then you do in context, and the ones who actually know the whole story aren't keen on talking about it

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

TenaCrane posted:

Does anyone know if every 3 person party has a unique after battle conversation? I assume they do, but I haven't built up enough affinity to be sure yet.

I think a lot of them overlap. I've always used Dunban and Riki in my party, and swapped between Shulk / Sharla / Melia / Seventh. I've heard 4 different versions of "Mighty Heropon, I can see that you're in pain..", with the third party member telling Dunban to stop embarassing him.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

TenaCrane posted:

I don't know about unique, but I started running a Melia/Riki/Reyn team near the end of the game and they have an amazing after fight conversation. I hope Reyn stacked up on biscuits.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Sixty hours in and the game still just amazes me in it's scope sometimes. Spoilers for Fallen Arm. So, on my way to Mechonis Field I noticed the big climbable wall of digit 2 and finally got to the top of it. Stepped on the level 95 monster's tale but he didn't get mad, then looked out over the Fallen Arm... just, wow.

I'm only now getting a real sense of how big Bionis and Mechonis are.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
horry poo poo, pissss

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/169704/Game_retail_weakens_as_consumers_turn_to_alternative_entertainment__analyst.php

quote:

EA and BioWare's Mass Effect 3 was the highest-selling game title in the U.S. during April, says the report, followed by Activision's Prototype 2 and Nintendo-published Xenoblade Chronicles.

No specific numbers out just yet, but that's pretty impressive if true, especially since you could only get a retail copy of Xenoblade from Gamestop.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I just finished the swamp and played until I got Melia. New party member, yay! I read her tutorial page, but I'm still confused about what she does and how to use her properly, though. Melia tips?

C-Euro posted:

You have to talk to Otharon at the entrance to Colony 6, who gives you a quest to clear some monsters on Raguel Bridge. Once you do that, you have to go to the refugee camp and tell Juju to move everyone.

Watch out, though, because I was level 32 or 33 - overlevelled for the swamp, and those fuckers on the bridge were really nasty.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
She summons up to three things, these are represented as small colored balls hovering above her. As long as the summoned elements are active, they give a buff to her and the people in her vicinity.

Don't do this, though. You can also fire these summoned elements with her white center art at the enemy, for varying effects. This fills up her white gauge. If you've fired enough elements to make the gauge full, she goes into ... i'm not sure what it'`s called in English actually, so i'll call it Trance here.
Trance gives an additional damage buff to all elements she fires for a certain time and also enables her to use certain other arts.

In short, level up her Lightning and (later) Summon Copy arts, give her a Lightning Up gem or two, summon a lot of lightning and open fire, watch the huge numbers. Rinse and repeat, though you probably won't even have to.

/e: Since what's basically her main attack force is a white art, she's exceptionally good in chain attacks, where White acts as a sort of joker and keeps the damage multiplier going.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
Also, make sure to use her spear break/starlight kick combo. She can put an enemy in to topple all by herself. It's great for interrupting enemy talent arts.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Louisgod posted:

horry poo poo, pissss

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/169704/Game_retail_weakens_as_consumers_turn_to_alternative_entertainment__analyst.php

No specific numbers out just yet, but that's pretty impressive if true, especially since you could only get a retail copy of Xenoblade from Gamestop.

You know you're probably personally responsible for like half of those sales right?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Louisgod posted:

horry poo poo, pissss

And the people clamor for a sequel, right? Because I'm not done and I already want a sequel.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Lakitu7 posted:

You know you're probably personally responsible for like half of those sales right?

Sheeeeeeeeeit my commission check should be on its way any day now.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Quick question: I'm about 35 hours into the game, and I've noticed a few places on the map that I haven't been able to get to because there's a tunnel entrance too high to jump. Examples: a tunnel in Wind Cave on the Bionis Leg and a tunnel in the Bionis interior. Is there some sort of ability that will let me get into those areas later, or do I just need to explore more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

werdnam posted:

Quick question: I'm about 35 hours into the game, and I've noticed a few places on the map that I haven't been able to get to because there's a tunnel entrance too high to jump. Examples: a tunnel in Wind Cave on the Bionis Leg and a tunnel in the Bionis interior. Is there some sort of ability that will let me get into those areas later, or do I just need to explore more?

You'll get there eventually. You'll be told explicitly when it's time.

• Locked thread