Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

Why do you care about customizing the home screen more than changing the wallpaper and putting your shortcuts where you want them?

Ive personally never found widgets very useful, they are mostly glorified app launchers, never showing enough information to be really valuable.
The nice thing about some widgets is they can take you to a specific action. The Soundhound widget has a button that will listen without actually having to open it. The Twitter widget can take you straight to making a new tweet, Google Music has pause/play/skip controls. There's also things like the Blizzard Mobile Authenticator which will show you the code without having to open it up, which I guess is useful if you're a sperg who has their account set to require it for every login. Widgetsoid toggles are also pretty nice, but I have those moved to the notification bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

My Linux Rig posted:

Have you gotten any development projects that are exclusively for Android?

I haven't gotten any development project that was exclusive to either of the major mobile OS's.

Though I routinely deal with clients who want iOS interfaces in their Android applications, to the detriment of just about every piece of the user experience on Android devices.

Don Lapre posted:

Why do you care about customizing the home screen more than changing the wallpaper and putting your shortcuts where you want them?

Ive personally never found widgets very useful, they are mostly glorified app launchers, never showing enough information to be really valuable.

I like the Calendar and Gmail widgets for displaying information and quickly getting to particular tasks. On my tablet I use the Books widget as well as I like just opening the Books app directly to my book of choice (though this really is just a glorified, prettier, app launcher). The aesthetic of these widgets are really nice as well. With the 3.0+ music controls being handled beautifully within the settings I find the music widget pretty unnecessary but I used to use it as well. It's definitely pretty in any case.

On my mobile I use the Soundhound widget because I like being able to identify a song without bothering to open the app entirely. I used to use the power strip widget as well but now most of that lives within my statusbar. I also used to use a weather widget which was pretty, but now I just have the temperature always displaying in my status bar and if I want to see more I pull the shade down.

It's nice to be able to break up the home screen and organize it various ways, this certainly helps with my own muscle memory of where things are located.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Matlock posted:

Amazon's got a daily special on refurb Kindle Fires, wherein they are $139. Not bad, given the hardware.

Wow, that is really compelling, I guess it's time for my first tablet.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Glimm posted:

I haven't gotten any development project that was exclusive to either of the major mobile OS's.

Though I routinely deal with clients who want iOS interfaces in their Android applications, to the detriment of just about every piece of the user experience on Android devices.
So nobody has come to you saying they want their Web app to look like an Android app?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

So nobody has come to you saying they want their Web app to look like an Android app?

Actually I lied in my above statement, I've done one app that was solely on the iPad and 2 that are solely on Google TV.

And no. I don't make Web apps, so I've never had a client come to me about making one.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Stick100 posted:

Wow, that is really compelling, I guess it's time for my first tablet.

Time for my first tablet too, I just placed my order. Hopefully I'll have it on Friday in time for work this weekend.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

My Linux Rig posted:

That would be a meaningful question if Android had anything resembling a "look".

The design culture at Apple is all about narrow focus and specialization. Having a home screen resembles a desktop paradigm and also brings up unnecessary technical challenges since most users don't care. I can accept some glitchyness as a tradeoff for flexibility but my mom can't.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
They delivered my keyboard dock without the tablet today. drat you Fedex! :mad:

edit: Nevermind, the delivery guy came back after he realized he forgot to drop it off! Awesome!

edit2: How important is it to let this thing charge all the way before I use it for the first time? I'm an impatient 5-year old and want to use it now. :(

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 2, 2012

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Kynetx posted:

I can accept some glitchyness ... but my mom can't.

I've had glitchy experiences on both platforms, the most annoying (to me) on iOS (iTunes randomly wiping devices and removing their backups). So I guess I'd recommend your mom not use any tablet device?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Glimm posted:

I've had glitchy experiences on both platforms, the most annoying (to me) on iOS (iTunes randomly wiping devices and removing their backups). So I guess I'd recommend your mom not use any tablet device?

iTunes is pretty much out of the equation with iOS5. Also those things probably didn't happen.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

El Duke posted:

iTunes is pretty much out of the equation with iOS5. Also those things probably didn't happen.

Yeah, it's nice that iTunes is no longer required - I was just pointing out a particularly glitchy experience I personally had with iOS/iTunes. Also, you're probably a complete douche.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Glimm posted:

How did iTunes remove your backups?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Glimm posted:

Now you're being a jackass. Any tech product can have a unique catastrophic failure. Your highly uncommon and hyperbolic device failure is no more valid for condemning iOS than something equally rare on Android or WP7.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How did iTunes remove your backups?
Shut up about iTunes in the Android thread.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Now you're being a jackass. Any tech product can have a unique catastrophic failure. Your highly uncommon and hyperbolic device failure is no more valid for condemning iOS than something equally rare on Android or WP7.

I think your calling me a jackass (and saying my device failure story was hyperbolic) is being a jackass. For what it is worth I completely agree with the rest of your statement (in fact it was essentially my point).

edit:

DVG50 if you'd like to PM me for specifics I can explain in a bit more detail, it happened to a fair number of users (3 people I personally know had the same experience).

Glimm fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 3, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

I will say,one of the few things I miss on my iPad is widgets and multitasking. Android in my opinion just does them better. Every time I open my IM app it has to reload the new conversations.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I fully understand they fall flat in a lot of aspects, but are we at a stage where these cheap (Allwinner etc) tablets are good enough for just straightforward couch based web browsing and pdf viewing.

Or are they even best avoided just for that?

The missus would like a screen a bit bigger than her Pre2 to view the web and facebook. She's happy enough with the performance from her phone, just wants something a bit bigger. And as she is happy with the Pre2 Apps are obviously not a big pull for her.

Or do I just tell her to carry on making do with her phone and the laptop for now?

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 3, 2012

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

MeKeV posted:

I fully understand they fall flat in a lot of aspects, but are we at a stage where these cheap (Allwinner etc) tablets are good enough for just straightforward couch based web browsing and pdf viewing.

Between build quality and support, those tablets will pretty much always be playing the lottery. If you can buy and return it at a local B&M I guess that minimizes the risk, but it doesn't seem worth the gamble to me.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

MeKeV posted:

Or are they even best avoided just for that?

The missus would like a screen a bit bigger than her Pre2 to view the web and facebook. She's happy enough with the performance from her phone, just wants something a bit bigger. And as she is happy with the Pre2 Apps are obviously not a big pull for her.

Or do I just tell her to carry on making do with her phone and the laptop for now?

Get her a Touchpad off Craigslist. She's already used to the interface and they're great devices.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just got a TF300, and it's ok. Coming from a 7" tablet, the Transformer is huge. I'm not sure if like something that big. The problem is that it's widescreen, so if you aren't watching videos on it, and are instead reading, there's no comfortable way to hold it.

My biggest gripe with it is that if it's downloading something, or maybe it's when it's writing to the SD card, the OS becomes so sluggish it's basically unusable. When I first logged in and it downloaded the 100 apps I had on my old tablet, it took a couple hours before I could use it. I ended up just canceling the download, rebooting, and then it worked perfectly. When I tried to download a 100mb file from a website, though, it did the same thine. I'm not sure if I like it. I may return it and try a 8.9" Galaxy or XYBOARD.

However, I do like the basically unskinned buttery smooth Android 4.0.4 experience.

I also ordered the knock off Apple smart cover. It's designed for the Tf201, but the dimensions are basically the same on the TF300, and the connectors are the same, so it should fit. I'll come back with a trip report and I'll have some comical accounts of my friends making fun of my fake iPad.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I just got a TF300, and it's ok. Coming from a 7" tablet, the Transformer is huge. I'm not sure if like something that big. The problem is that it's widescreen, so if you aren't watching videos on it, and are instead reading, there's no comfortable way to hold it.

My biggest gripe with it is that if it's downloading something, or maybe it's when it's writing to the SD card, the OS becomes so sluggish it's basically unusable. When I first logged in and it downloaded the 100 apps I had on my old tablet, it took a couple hours before I could use it. I ended up just canceling the download, rebooting, and then it worked perfectly. When I tried to download a 100mb file from a website, though, it did the same thine. I'm not sure if I like it. I may return it and try a 8.9" Galaxy or XYBOARD.

However, I do like the basically unskinned buttery smooth Android 4.0.4 experience.

I also ordered the knock off Apple smart cover. It's designed for the Tf201, but the dimensions are basically the same on the TF300, and the connectors are the same, so it should fit. I'll come back with a trip report and I'll have some comical accounts of my friends making fun of my fake iPad.

I think something might be wrong with yours. Mine downloaded around 150 apps when I turned it on, and I was browsing the internet and watching a movie while it was doing this with no hiccups.

KrustyKlassic
Dec 27, 2005

Just got the Pad 300 as my first tablet a couple days ago and I'm really loving it. Screen looks great, feels solid, and handles any app I can throw at it. I've only played with a Prime in a store but the 300 feels like it performs just as well.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Kynetx posted:

Get her a Touchpad off Craigslist. She's already used to the interface and they're great devices.

They seem to be going for around £200 here in the UK.

We'll wait a little longer.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Super Dude posted:

I think something might be wrong with yours. Mine downloaded around 150 apps when I turned it on, and I was browsing the internet and watching a movie while it was doing this with no hiccups.

Just curious what could possibly be wrong with it to make this happen? Like something defective with the processor? But honestly, though, I may just return it. I'm not sure if I want to deal with ASUS support.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just curious what could possibly be wrong with it to make this happen? Like something defective with the processor? But honestly, though, I may just return it. I'm not sure if I want to deal with ASUS support.

lovely flash memory? How long does it take you to copy a large file to the internal memory?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

illicitporpoises posted:

lovely flash memory? How long does it take you to copy a large file to the internal memory?

That makes sense. All the items were downloading to my external SD card. Maybe that's the bottle neck. The SD card worked well in my other devices (SGS2, Nook Color, and Flyer), though.

Although, I may honestly just return it for the Galaxy note 10.1. I'm hoping they announce that at the Samsung Conference.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That makes sense. All the items were downloading to my external SD card. Maybe that's the bottle neck. The SD card worked well in my other devices (SGS2, Nook Color, and Flyer), though.
Is there a reason you're putting applications on the SD card instead of the internal memory? Wouldn't you use the SD space for more transient things like pictures and videos and the internal space for more permanent things?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

KrustyKlassic posted:

Just got the Pad 300 as my first tablet a couple days ago and I'm really loving it. Screen looks great, feels solid, and handles any app I can throw at it. I've only played with a Prime in a store but the 300 feels like it performs just as well.
Performance wise the Pad 300T and the TF201 ALMOST the same

In Performance mode the 300T is 100 MHz slower than the TF201.

The 300T however uses DDR3-667 RAM instead of DDR2-500 that is used in the TF201.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there a reason you're putting applications on the SD card instead of the internal memory? Wouldn't you use the SD space for more transient things like pictures and videos and the internal space for more permanent things?

During this time I was using aTorrent to download a couple four gig torrents. They were writing to the SD card at the time. I took the SD card out, and it looks like it's running better now. I did get a weird screen artifact on the side of the screen, but that went away after a reboot.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Jerk McJerkface posted:

During this time I was using aTorrent to download a couple four gig torrents. They were writing to the SD card at the time.

why would you do any of this?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

El Duke posted:

Because I just enjoy the feeling I get from writing ones and zeros to digital media.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

El Duke posted:

Android Tablet Thread: why would you do any of this?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

TildeATH posted:

Android Tablet Thread: why would you do any of this?

Android Tablet Thread: only 30% Android havers

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Android Tablet Thread: only 30% Android havers

To be fair this sounds about right given the Android tablet market share.

:downsrim:

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Android Tablet Thread: More tablet models than tablets sold

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Android Tablet Thread: Don't Be a Jerk, Buy Your Mom an iPad

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I'm thinking about getting a 7"-8" tablet to replace my Acer Iconia, but shopping just gave me a headache. I'd like a smaller device with a 4G connection.

The Galaxy Tab 7 Plus is only $200 from t-mobile, while the 8" Xyboard from Verizon is almost $600.

Is the xyboard really $400 better?

I like my Iconia (and ICS made it feel like a brand new machine), but I'd much rather prefer a smaller unit I can connect with almost anywhere.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Has ICS been confirmed for the 7 Plus yet? Even if its been promised I wouldn't buy until you are certain it'll get the update.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ice Cream Sandwich is only confirmed for a device the moment the update is released. Google doesn't actually care if anyone gets the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Your tablets hosed, not even my tf101 does this