Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I get it now. I'm an honorary 108 recipient myself so I was all :gonk: and was expecting an R after his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/28/2029815/early-voting-sets-record-in-first.html

Early voting in NC is outpacing even the 2008 primary.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Colorado civil unions bill assigned to House judiciary committee.
Hearing on Thursday maybe.

No GOP co-sponsor announced.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It is good there is still some semblance of sanity as this is a big loss for bigots

quote:

A controversial bill in Tennessee meant to restrict public school discussion of sexuality and LGBT issues is set to die without a vote after the key GOP sponsor announced on Monday that he simply wouldn't bring it up.

"With that assurance and the opposition of some people who didn't want to vote on it, I've decided simply not to bring it up," Republican sponsor state Rep. Joey Hensley said, according to the Knoxville News Sentinel.

The legislation, which had earlier been approved by a state House committee, was straightforward in its wording.

"[N]o public elementary or middle school shall provide any instruction or material that discusses sexual orientation other than heterosexuality," it read.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rhode Island House is holding hearings for a marriage bill today.
Last year they passed a civil union law with a ridiculously broad exemption where religious organizations can not be forced to recognize civil unions as valid.

The governor is completely supportive and there are huge Dem majorties in both houses, but the caucus is surprisingly conservative and Senate Leadership is strongly opposed to marriage equality.

Should be an easy equal protection lawsuit if we can't pass a bill. (Note to any opponents reading this thread: MWAHAHAHA)

e: There are 2 other bills on the agenda. One fixes the civil union law and the other allows access to family courts for same sex couples married in another state.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 2, 2012

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Looking forward to the day all New Englanders have marriage equality. Come on RI & ME!

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Apparently one of the main concerns of people wanting to restrict marriage is that the Caucasian race just isn't reproducing enough these days.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/02/475141/brunstetter-caucasian/

quote:

The wife of a prominent North Carolina state senator and supporter of Amendment 1 — a proposed ballot initiative that would outlaw same-sex marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships in the state — claimed earlier this week that her husband advocated for the measure to protect the “Caucasian” race.

Jodie Brunstetter, the wife of North Carolina state Sen. Peter Brunstetter, made the remarks “outside the early voting site at the Forsyth County Government Center in downtown Winston-Salem” while speaking to voters, Chad Nance, a Winston-Salem freelance journalist, reports. Nance heard about Jodie’s comments from an African-American poll worker who allegedly overheard Brunstetter say, “The reason my husband wrote Amendment 1 was because the Caucasian race is diminishing and we need to uh, reproduce.”

Asked to clarify her statement, Brunstetter reluctantly confirmed that she did in fact use the phrase “Caucasian”:

BRUNSTETTER: [P]eople who founded the United states wrote a Constitution and it has been what has preserved this society. And we were just talking about lots of different things which the gentleman was turning around.

NANCE: You didn’t tell that one lady that it was to preserve the Caucasian race, because they were becoming a minority? That’s what an old lady down the block told us.

BRUNSTETTER: No, no.

NANCE: You didn’t say that? She’s lying?

BRUNSTETTER: No. It’s just that same sex marriages are not having children. [...]

NANCE: You didn’t say anything about Caucasians?

BRUNSTETTER: I probably said the word.

NANCE: In reference to….? You didn’t tell her anything about Caucasians? …

BRUNSTETTER: Right now I am a little confused myself because there has been confusion here today about this amendment, where it is very simple. The opponents are saying things that are not true and so there has been a lot of conversation going back and forth…. Right now I have some heat stroke going on. I’m not quite sure now. Because there has been lots of confusion.

NANCE: So you did or did not say anything about Caucasians?

BRUNSTETTER: If I did it wasn’t anything race related.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Amused to Death posted:

Apparently one of the main concerns of people wanting to restrict marriage is that the Caucasian race just isn't reproducing enough these days.

[snip from article] “The reason my husband wrote Amendment 1 was because the Caucasian race is diminishing and we need to uh, reproduce.” [end snip from article]

It's like the perfect storm of racism and prejudice, at this height of idiocy is it still immoral to punch someone in the mouth for saying words? Seriously.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

Economy Clown Car posted:

It's like the perfect storm of racism and prejudice, at this height of idiocy is it still immoral to punch someone in the mouth for saying words? Seriously.

You obviously didn't get the memo:

NANCE: So you did or did not say anything about Caucasians?

BRUNSTETTER: If I did it wasn’t anything race related.

:eng101:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Economy Clown Car posted:

"The reason my husband wrote Amendment 1 was because the Caucasian race is diminishing and we need to uh, reproduce."

Holy poo poo that is all but a direct fourteen words line right there.

And what possible connotations could the word Caucasians have in that context that isn't related to race?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

God stuff from the hearings:

"There is no such thing as a liberal Catholic, they are called heretics."

Marriage equality is a "Communist plot" and the decrease in population will hurt the economy.

Also somebody mentioned it will lead to people marrying their pets.

There are supporters too but they are boring.

e: Somebody brought and waved around brimstone allegedly from Sodom and Gomorrah!

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 3, 2012

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Amused to Death posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/02/475141/brunstetter-caucasian/

holy loly. I mean "we want to support marriage but, you know only OUR kind of marriage" isn't an argument based in eugenics already then I'd direct her to miscegenation statutes

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Slaan posted:

I absentee-voted against the Amendment already. But its absentee voting, which they don't even count unless things are close. :(

They always count absentee ballots. It's only an issue when it's close.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And what possible connotations could the word Caucasians have in that context that isn't related to race?

Talking about the land between the Black Sea and the Caspian sea.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Talking about the land between the Black Sea and the Caspian sea.

You'd use the word "Caucuses" in that instance, I think.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

These people have such a messed up view of marriage.

with one L
Jul 30, 2008
Do these people really believe that by banning same sex marriage that gay men and women will automatically turn straight and start having kids? Is this really the thought process or am I missing something?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

with one L posted:

Do these people really believe that by banning same sex marriage that gay men and women will automatically turn straight and start having kids? Is this really the thought process or am I missing something?

They think that talking about gay people confuses kids and makes them turn gay. That this is how people are recruited into the gay lifestyle. So yes, they do.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

with one L posted:

Many do still subscribe to the idea that homosexuality is a (nasty, icky, bad) choice, and so likely think that by closing off that avenue they're encouraging people onto the proper, Christian path.

This of course presumes that any real thought has actually gone into it, and it's not just mindless knee-jerk reaction.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

with one L posted:

No but a bunch might kill themselves and to the bigots that's okay too

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

with one L posted:

I think they're also saying that it must be only whites who are being gay. Or maybe that if gay people are straight instead they'll have white kids no matter what.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Colorado House judiciary committee votes on civil unions today.

I expect it loses with a party line vote but stranger things have happened.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

with one L posted:

It's not THAT silly. The less homosexuality is stigmatized, the more people will come out as gay. But that's a good thing, because even if low birthrate causes problems, the best solution is not forcing millions into unfulfilling marriages and unwanted sexual obligations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Audio stream from the CO hearing.

Highlights from the opponents so far:

"a Trojan horse"

"What about the babies?"

"There are no Adams or two Eves."

"If we keep on feeding the snake it'll become a dragon"

"HIV and AIDS is real"

e: We won 6-5!
Now it goes to the Finance Committee and probably 1 more.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 4, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Install Gentoo posted:

I think they're also saying that it must be only whites who are being gay. Or maybe that if gay people are straight instead they'll have white kids no matter what.

To be fair to them, there is a trend in the media in portraying homosexuals as white and/or downplaying minority homosexuals.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

To be fair to them, there is a trend in the media in portraying homosexuals as white and/or downplaying minority homosexuals.

Hey now, True Blood has both gay and lesbian black characters and one of them is dating a gay latino. Actually, I think those are the only homosexuals on the show outside of the vampires that literally gently caress anything with a hole to gently caress that is.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

"If we keep on feeding the snake it'll become a dragon"

That wouldn't even make sense within the context of a fantasy novel

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Riptor posted:

I'm guessing the people against gay marriage take a dim view on evolution as well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Riptor posted:

The gay snake will grow into a big gay dragon, like Puff.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zero VGS posted:

The gay snake will grow into a big gay dragon, like Puff.

I thought it was Puff the Magic Dragon, not Poof the Magic Dragon. :v:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CO civil union bill goes to finance committee today.
For a bill everyone believes can pass a floor vote this process is incredibly uncertain and secretive.

And no one has addressed the important question of "What about the babies?"

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

CO civil union bill goes to finance committee today.
For a bill everyone believes can pass a floor vote this process is incredibly uncertain and secretive.

And no one has addressed the important question of "What about the babies?"

Someone far better than us has already addressed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPvVnrV1tow

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CO House finance committee passed civil unions.
On to appropriations Monday and a floor vote Tuesday I guess.

...and then the referendum to block the law.
Progress is slow and boring.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CO House finance committee passed civil unions.
On to appropriations Monday and a floor vote Tuesday I guess.

...and then the referendum to block the law.
Progress is slow and boring.

Dobson and Focus on a Family must be seething that such a thing would happen.

EDIT

quote:

Please write a letter using the content provided or your own, urging your representatives to not vote for SB2!

Your help is needed to protect one-man, one-woman marriage in Colorado!

A bill to redefine marriage in Colorado through civil unions could be heard in the full House of Representatives as soon as Tuesday. The House Judiciary committee approved SB 2 Thursday night and it now goes to two other committees – Finance and Appropriations – before the full House. If it reaches the House, passage is likely.

It’s urgent that you contact your member of the House of Representatives and ask him/her to vote against this bill, SB 2.

Many Coloradans who voted for the state’s marriage amendment in 2006 defining marriage as one-man and one-woman do not realize that civil unions threaten that definition. And here’s why:

The pattern from other states is that the passage of civil unions (or similar legislation creating a look-alike to marriage) ushers in court-ordered same-sex marriage. Based on this strategy, if homosexual activists are successful in passing civil unions in Colorado, the next step will be a lawsuit challenging the state’s marriage amendment.

This happened in California where the cost of defending its marriage amendment is upward of $10 million and that price tag will go higher as the court challenge continues. So Colorado voters will face an expensive legal battle to protect marriage if civil unions pass.

In addition, Colorado already has one of the most expansive laws in the nation giving rights to unmarried couples so this measure is not needed.

If you care about preserving one-man, one-woman marriage, please contact your members of the House of Representatives today!

Take Action:
Due to the short amount of time left in the session we are asking that you contact your state representative and ask him/her to vote “No” on SB 2 using this form. And we thank you in advance for your help in defeating this legislation.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Dobson and Focus on a Family must be seething that such a thing would happen.
They've known this was coming since 2006.
They could have tried to pass an amendment banning all same sex unions but only went with marriage.

e: That whole lawsuit thing is complete garbage.
Every state that sued over civil unions did so without a constitutional ban on same sex marriage. The federal Prop 8 lawsuit is irrelevant because the federal court did not find a right to same sex marriage, the CA supreme court already found one before the constitutional ban.

ee: I forgot about the suit out of Nevada last month. That's the best comparison to Colorado but there's obviously no ruling yet so no one knows if federal courts are willing to break constitutional bans that weren't passed after the fact like Prop 8.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 5, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Colorado civil union bill goes to the House appropriations committee some time after 4:30ET today.
Governor "believes today is a historic day" so it should either pass and get a floor vote or he'll call a special session.

Today is also election day in North Carolina. Vote AGAINST Amendment One. Polls close at 7:30 so you still have time if you live there. :unsmith:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Colorado civil union bill goes to the House appropriations committee some time after 4:30ET today.
Governor "believes today is a historic day" so it should either pass and get a floor vote or he'll call a special session.

Today is also election day in North Carolina. Vote AGAINST Amendment One. Polls close at 7:30 so you still have time if you live there. :unsmith:

I hope the latest polls are wrong about the NC vote. I would love for equality to have two big victories in a row.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just curious why do the Finance/Appropriations committees have jurisdiction over these bills?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I hope the latest polls are wrong about the NC vote. I would love for equality to have two big victories in a row.
I'm pretty sure we'll win at least 1 referendum this year. I'd bet on Colorado. Washington, Minnesota, and Maine are toss-ups. I expect we'll lose the rest badly.

Referendums on the ballot:
North Carolina: Amends constitution to ban same sex marriage and any recognition.
Maine: Legalizes same sex marriage.
Minnesota: Amends constitution to ban same sex marriage.

Possibly on the ballot:
Maryland: Legalizes same sex marriage.
Ohio: Amends constitution to legalize same sex marriage.
Colorado: Legalizes civil unions.
Washington: Legalizes same sex marriage.

zoux posted:

Just curious why do the Finance/Appropriations committees have jurisdiction over these bills?
Definitely involves tax law and probably state employee benefits or something budgety. It had to go through 3 committees (those and Judiciary) in the Senate too so this is standard procedure.

It passed the committee but Republicans just added 2 poison pill amendments and we still aren't guaranteed a floor vote.

One is a plainly unconstitutional exemption for therapists, counselors, etc. to refuse to see people in a civil union. There's another amendment I've yet to see the text of.

The amendments need to be removed in a floor vote or we'll need a special session to reconcile the Senate and House bills. One of the Republicans on the committee thinks there are enough votes to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Early results in from NC:

http://www.wral.com/news/political/page/10991843/

If you're reading this around the time I post it, know that a lot of those "yes" counties are some of the most populous conservative-leaning counties (Rowan, Iredale, Johnston), and while Mecklenburg (Charlotte) is in, Wake (Raleigh) and Durham are not.

Watch Cabarrus, Union, and Gaston. Are all major suburbs of Charlotte and turnout there will matter, though it's likely the churches are much more mobilized there than the anti-A1 forces.

Wow, I'm watching the lead move back and forth all over the place in real-time right now.

EDIT: a bunch of stuff in the east just came in. Those are areas that are usually blue, but due to lots of black, socially conservative voters in smaller cities like Wilson and Rocky Mount. Looks like they're going in favor of A1, which has given "Yes" a 35,000 vote lead :(

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 9, 2012

• Locked thread