Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

experience a more beautiful web snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

guess they were tired of your av breaking their beautiful browser experience (by causing it to crash)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
they should have been using opera

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
tef's flapping his gums

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tef posted:

they should have been using opera

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Char posted:

tef's flapping his gums

I don't even have any machines that can run IE9

I'm totally freaking out :ohdear:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
obviously what I need to do is find out who bought me it and buy them my old av

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

ahhh spiders posted:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Sniep posted:

nice mba, left side dock supremacy

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Internaut! posted:

kid I know is a flash developer at a top media shop, google called him up and said we'd like to interview you, in the interview they asked him all kinds of questions about things like inodes and efficient pointer/bitshift operations

in short most tech interviewers are retarded and terrible

uh sounds good? last thing anyone wants to do is hire flash devs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

OH poo poo I'VE BEEN SHAGGARED

oh thank god now i'll actually be able to read ur posts

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm never going to forget the :psyduck: attempt at an algorithms question i got in my last interview. maybe one of you can make some sense of what the gently caress he was trying to get at:

him: "so, you have a circular linked list, you don't know where it starts or ends, and you want to know when you've visited every element. but you can't save anything!"

me: "..."

him: "but i'll give you a hint: you have two pointers"

me: "uh, leave one pointer at the first element you have, traverse the list with the other, and when the two pointers are equal again, you've been through the whole list"

him: "no no no, you can't save anything! all you have are these two pointers!"

that went back and forth for about ten minutes before i gave up and said i must not understand the question, chalked it up to his broken english. at the end of the interview when he asked if i had any questions for him, i said yeah, what the gently caress answer were you looking for there

and he gets this sly grin on his face and explains that every time you move one pointer ahead by one node, you move the other pointer ahead TWO nodes, and when the pointers equal each other, you've been through the whole list.

the punchline is that this man is now my boss

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if someone asks you about pointers its a good sign u should get up and walk out

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Werthog posted:

i'm never going to forget the :psyduck: attempt at an algorithms question i got in my last interview. maybe one of you can make some sense of what the gently caress he was trying to get at:

him: "so, you have a circular linked list, you don't know where it starts or ends, and you want to know when you've visited every element. but you can't save anything!"

me: "uh, leave one pointer at the first element you have, traverse the list with the other, and when the two pointers are equal again, you've been through the whole list"

that went back and forth for about ten minutes before i gave up and said i must not understand the question, chalked it up to his broken english. at the end of the interview when he asked if i had any questions for him, i said yeah, what the gently caress answer were you looking for there

and he gets this sly grin on his face and explains that every time you move one pointer ahead by one node, you move the other pointer ahead TWO nodes, and when the pointers equal each other, you've been through the whole list.

Tortoise and hare is the algorithm he wanted you to mention.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Sniep posted:

i have taht book it's how i learned lua

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Werthog posted:

goddamnit

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

MononcQc posted:

i love interview questions where the conversation goes
"well, yes, i guess you could solve it that way but... okay yes that too... okay also that works but have you considered this one solution i read about on slashdot in 2004. no? oh well that's ok :smug:"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

MononcQc posted:

this makes perfect sense because, knowing him, he probably flipped open that algorithms textbook that's sitting on his desk (you all know the one) to a random page and spent five seconds trying to memorize it before i came in for the interview. reading comprehension is not his strong suit

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

he was right

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
lmao and you decided to work there

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pay's good, benefits are good, and i don't do poo poo
so, yeah

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Werthog posted:

this makes perfect sense because, knowing him, he probably flipped open that algorithms textbook that's sitting on his desk (you all know the one) to a random page and spent five seconds trying to memorize it before i came in for the interview. reading comprehension is not his strong suit

heh. whose isn't.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Werthog posted:

his phrasing's wrong or whatever but in the totally generic interview question version of this it's a linked-list with a possible cycle in it, as opposed to a completely circular list, which means you can't just leave one pointer sitting at the first element because the first element might not be in the cyclic portion of the list. not that it sounds like he got that anyway.

it's still a dumb gotcha question though.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

dazjw posted:

his phrasing's wrong or whatever but in the totally generic interview question version of this it's a linked-list with a possible cycle in it, as opposed to a completely circular list, which means you can't just leave one pointer sitting at the first element because the first element might not be in the cyclic portion of the list. not that it sounds like he got that anyway.

it's still a dumb gotcha question though.

are you seriously using this contrived example to defend what happened

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
yeah it's a complete mischaracterization (wtf stupid spell check, poo poo's right) of the actual problem, plus a total feint with the "you can't save anything" thrown in

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

ahhh spiders posted:

are you seriously using this contrived example to defend what happened

its not a contrived example it's just how the question is meant to go. you've got a linked list and two pointers and there might be a cycle that starts at some point that is not the head element, how do you find it.

not that you should need to be second guessing your interviewers to actually ask their questions correctly

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

lol at thinking that a linked list with a cycle in it == circular linked list

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

dazjw posted:

its not a contrived example it's just how the question is meant to go. you've got a linked list and two pointers and there might be a cycle that starts at some point that is not the head element, how do you find it.

not that you should need to be second guessing your interviewers to actually ask their questions correctly

what are you talking about? is this some example from an interview questions book? that's not what he was asked. there's no "supposed to"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

now that i think about it, i think he even started out asking the question correctly, then changed his mind mid-question and made it a circular linked list instead to make it "easier." but then when i gave him an answer that worked for the simpler case, he couldn't comprehend the possibility that it was correct because it wasn't the one he was thinking of

this pattern has repeated itself many times since then

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
a smart interviewer would give you the example of the basic circular linked list, then after you gave an answer they would expand/change the problem to a linked list with cycles somewhere in it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this thread in one tab, about eight different wikipedia articles in others

man. algorithms and data structures and poo poo. gotta get a book. self-teach it. maybe one of those colleges that does the open free online course stuff will have an algos one?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
what exactly are you trying to do

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Anal Tributary posted:

this thread in one tab, about eight different wikipedia articles in others

man. algorithms and data structures and poo poo. gotta get a book. self-teach it. maybe one of those colleges that does the open free online course stuff will have an algos one?

one just ended but i think the material's still up https://class.coursera.org/algo/class/index
e: and he's re-running it in a month or so

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ahhh spiders posted:

what exactly are you trying to do

learn actual computer science concepts i guess. i mean i don't really like the idea of "learn poo poo to pass an interview," i'd like to be a better coder too.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
wanting to take "a course on algos" makes me laff almost as much as when people refer to their CS programme's "maths module"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Werthog posted:

one just ended but i think the material's still up https://class.coursera.org/algo/class/index
e: and he's re-running it in a month or so

wow this coursera thing looks like a big education product but the design is unmodified twitter bootstrap, rofl

cmon yall even if you ain't a designer you gotta at least change the default font stack or tweak some colors or something

i've talked about this in irc before but i've never seen it used in an actual product this brazenly lol

anyways this looks really cool! thank you for the link.

Rufo posted:

wanting to take "a course on algos" makes me laff almost as much as when people refer to their CS programme's "maths module"

explain?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Rufo posted:

my algorithms course in school was probably the best one out of all the courses i took in terms of challenging me. that was probably 90% the instructor i had not being a loving moron though

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Anal Tributary posted:

learn actual computer science concepts i guess. i mean i don't really like the idea of "learn poo poo to pass an interview," i'd like to be a better coder too.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Anal Tributary posted:

are you trying to get a job in the industry because if they don't see a degree and you don't have experience it's probably not going to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

are you trying to get a job in the industry because if they don't see a degree and you don't have experience it's probably not going to happen

pretty sure he's in school and just needs an internship but he thinks if he doesn't have 5+ years of professional experience nobody's going to give him one