Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Anal Tributary posted:

wow this coursera thing looks like a big education product but the design is unmodified twitter bootstrap, rofl

cmon yall even if you ain't a designer you gotta at least change the default font stack or tweak some colors or something

i've talked about this in irc before but i've never seen it used in an actual product this brazenly lol

anyways this looks really cool! thank you for the link.

explain?
yeah, lets make it uglier - you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

ahhh spiders posted:

are you trying to get a job in the industry because if they don't see a degree and you don't have experience it's probably not going to happen

i have a github and a few things that had/have a few thousand users, fwiw

i mean i'm getting a degree, hopefully, but like... i want an internship at least and poo poo. and if i could somehow get a job w/o finishing a degree (like a few people i know online) then i'd do that. either way i need to be able to do interviews.

i really like this because it has the exams and stuff, so maybe i could use it with a book or lectures or something. the lecture notes don't really seem like they give a complete picture.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
font stack

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Anal Tributary posted:

i have a github and a few things that had/have a few thousand users, fwiw

i mean i'm getting a degree, hopefully, but like... i want an internship at least and poo poo. and if i could somehow get a job w/o finishing a degree (like a few people i know online) then i'd do that. either way i need to be able to do interviews.

when i was going to school i became friends with a guy who owned a company that wrote custom software for people and after i worked on a project with him he started offering me contract work & i did that a bunch until i graduated

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ppp posted:

yeah, lets make it uglier - you

it literally takes the editing of one motherfucking file to change your site from "looks like every other bootstrap site in the world" to "something legitimately unique built on bootstrap"

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

av i know how you feel, just keep on keeping on you are in a better position than i am at least :unsmith:

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Anal Tributary posted:

it literally takes the editing of one motherfucking file to change your site from "looks like every other bootstrap site in the world" to "something legitimately unique built on bootstrap"

it doesnt make it any good though. you can change the font to comic sans and it'd be unique

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
bootstrap is pretty much the worst thing

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Anal Tributary posted:

i really like this because it has the exams and stuff, so maybe i could use it with a book or lectures or something. the lecture notes don't really seem like they give a complete picture.

the difference between coursera and the mit opencourseware-type stuff is that coursera's material is original for the coursera course. like, the lecture videos aren't just some guy with a camcorder videotaping the normal lecture, they're a narrated whiteboard recording kinda thing. plus if you're the kind of person who needs some structure it's kinda cool that there's assignments with due dates.

actually if you want in on a class that's actually running now, this one just started and is more theoretical and poo poo like an algorithms course: https://www.coursera.org/course/automata

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
you are in for a long day if you are trying to learn computer science and the first thing you think of when you visit that site is that its not unique enough

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

algorithms are common sense. school can't teach you that.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ppp posted:

it doesnt make it any good though. you can change the font to comic sans and it'd be unique

twitter bootstrap looks generic as hell - half of that is because it's used in like half of all new web apps, and half is because it just looks very plain on purpose because it's supposed to be a base to customize

it's about establishing a ~brand identity~ or whatever. i mean the coursera landing page looks pretty great, they just need to get their app's look up to speed

hm.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

ppp posted:

you are in for a long day if you are trying to learn computer science and the first thing you think of when you visit that site is that its not unique enough

yeah it's becoming pretty clear he should be in graphic design instead

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

algorithms are common sense. school can't teach you that.

nice troll

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

SICP is actually neat to teach a bunch of algorithms, if you do the exercises.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Anal Tributary posted:

twitter bootstrap looks generic as hell - half of that is because it's used in like half of all new web apps, and half is because it just looks very plain on purpose because it's supposed to be a base to customize

it's about establishing a ~brand identity~ or whatever. i mean the coursera landing page looks pretty great, they just need to get their app's look up to speed

hm.

it says stanford right on the page, idk what you are talking about

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

MononcQc posted:

:toot:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

ppp posted:

it says stanford right on the page, idk what you are talking about

yeah honestly who gives a gently caress about the page, i didn't even notice that it was bootstrap and i've used it a little bit before

you should apply for ~~user experience~~ positions

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
your user experience is a piece of poo poo

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

MononcQc posted:

i was super proud of myself when i wrote the metacircular evaluator in C.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
apply for user expeirence designer at samsung

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

yeah it's becoming pretty clear he should be in graphic design instead

front-end engineering, dude

MononcQc posted:

ooh, right. tef was telling me about this but i never got around to it. i should just work through that next week or something

except i'm supposed to be getting a summer job. can't wait to work retail again :smithicide:

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
watch the sicp lectures and do the hand motions that sussman/ableman does along with him

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Anal Tributary posted:

front-end engineering, dude

ooh, right. tef was telling me about this but i never got around to it. i should just work through that next week or something

except i'm supposed to be getting a summer job. can't wait to work retail again :smithicide:

are you qualified to do anything more than work retail

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
sounds like life is hard for you guys that sucks

maybe you should make life easier and smoke lots of weed

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
work at the apple store

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Sweeper posted:

sounds like life is hard for you guys that sucks

maybe you should make life easier and smoke lots of weed

what's it like being a drug addict

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Anal Tributary posted:

explain?

cs is maths

so singling out one particular module as "the maths one" makes me wonder wtf the others are

similarly i think you underestimate how important knowing about data structures and algorithms is. theyre like....what cs is all about. theyre not some minor topic you can dodge

i realise criticism alone isnt very helpful to you so maybe you can give us a feel for what you already know about, that we might point you in the right direction

what do you know about trees and graphs n poo poo? can u read a statement or proof written in propositional logic? how about using predicate logic to describe different properties of different types of graphs, e.g. acyclicity

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

ppp posted:

watch the sicp lectures and do the hand motions that sussman/ableman does along with him

wear the wizard outfit w/ the fez

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ahhh spiders posted:

are you qualified to do anything more than work retail

i'm not sure

i've made some userscripts and extensions and started on a few incomplete web applications. most recent project is a little grunt-based template & build system for ember applications. done a few tiny open source contributions.

i feel like i'm qualified to do web development. but i don't know if an employer would think i was qualified to work. so idk.

Rufo posted:

what do you know about trees and graphs n poo poo? can u read a statement or proof written in propositional logic? how about using predicate logic to describe different properties of different types of graphs, e.g. acyclicity

none of this; the highest math i've taken is calc I.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
mr. tributary, the best way to get interview experience and know what sort of things you'll have to know/do for one is to... actually do an interview!!!

find a job/internship you don't care about in the field you want, or at least related, and apply for it

use it as a practice interview

the worst thing they can do is say no. they don't pass your resume around to other companies and hang it up with "DO NOT HIRE THIS MAN" under it

go to some interviews, fail miserably, and then know what you need to work on going forward

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

you're in school, you don't need experience to do an internship. that's the whole point of internships, to teach you the poo poo you actually need to know in order to work a real job

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Werthog posted:

you're in school, you don't need experience to do an internship. that's the whole point of internships, to teach you the poo poo you actually need to know in order to work a real job

idk internships still have like interviews and poo poo and i assume they want you to have an actual CS background

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

School teaches you what you need for an internship. Then you get the internship, figure out you know the background but have no idea how to work the job for real, and the internship teaches you how to be an actual employee.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

MononcQc posted:

School teaches you what you need for an internship.

if this was the case i wouldn't be here asking for materials to learn proper CS

i go a terrible school that doesn't have a CS degree, and while i'm planning to transfer (god loving willing), in the interim i'm stuck spinning wheels

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Inverse Icarus posted:

mr. tributary, the best way to get interview experience and know what sort of things you'll have to know/do for one is to... actually do an interview!!!

find a job/internship you don't care about in the field you want, or at least related, and apply for it

use it as a practice interview

the worst thing they can do is say no. they don't pass your resume around to other companies and hang it up with "DO NOT HIRE THIS MAN" under it

go to some interviews, fail miserably, and then know what you need to work on going forward

this is a cool idea because it will probably also make you less nervous for interviews you actually care about

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Anal Tributary posted:

idk internships still have like interviews and poo poo and i assume they want you to have an actual CS background

they want you to show interest and enthusiasmin what you'll be learning about at the internship in those interviews

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Anal Tributary posted:

if this was the case i wouldn't be here asking for materials to learn proper CS

i go a terrible school that doesn't have a CS degree, and while i'm planning to transfer (god loving willing), in the interim i'm stuck spinning wheels

if you spent the time studying some simple algos instead of posting why you can't you'd know them by now.

also sicp, if you do the exercises, is not a one week thing unless that's all you do.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Anal Tributary posted:

none of this; the highest math i've taken is calc I.

then this should definitely be your starting point. being able to understand formal logic and reading/writing proofs and WHAT A GRAPH IS is a fundamental skill in cs

you can forget most of what you did in calc cos its not reallllllly applicable much at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Rufo posted:

then this should definitely be your starting point. being able to understand formal logic and reading/writing proofs and WHAT A GRAPH IS is a fundamental skill in cs

you can forget most of what you did in calc cos its not reallllllly applicable much at this point

i liked signing up for the coursera algo course and by maybe the third lecture i had no loving clue what was going on. i'm about ready to pack it up on trying to get a dev job and just kill myself or do retail for the rest of my life