Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

crm posted:

Last night, my league team lost our championship on a one handed, 28' 3 to beat the buzzer.

I am sad.

Threes are my downfall in one on one games. I'll dominate and run up a huge lead, and shut the guy down from getting anything mid-range or at the rack, then I just slack off and basically let him shoot 3s and grab his misses over and over. I have no idea why I do it, it's a mental thing. Every time I think "ok, close it out, don't feel bad this time and let them shoot 3s" and by the time I'm up 10 or something, there I am standing off of him just letting him shoot his way back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
28' one handed banked three pointers at the buzzer are my niche shot when I play pick up.

ChuckNade376
Mar 13, 2008

MOTHERFUCKER. It is going to happen.
You are the worst person. Been working on my Tim Duncan 12' bank, I find yelling Tiiiiiiiiiiiim Duncan before the shot helps.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I learned my lesson in trying to block someone's shot from behind today by catching an elbow right to the teeth/nose.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
I saw something almost exactly like that happen to my friend last week, except he caught a hard shoulder instead of an elbow. He broke a tooth, scraped the poo poo out of his gums, loosened the roots on two teeth, and had a shard of tooth jammed in his gum that he had to slowly work out with his tongue. It was brutal and made me go get a mouth guard to play with. I haven't played with it yet but I'm seriously considering bringing it next time I play pick up. I've seen multiple mouth injuries while playing ball and I'm scared of it happening to me. I do feel like I'll look a bit cheesy playing with a mouth guard though, I don't think I've ever seen someone play casual pickup with one before.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

lmao zebong posted:

I saw something almost exactly like that happen to my friend last week, except he caught a hard shoulder instead of an elbow. He broke a tooth, scraped the poo poo out of his gums, loosened the roots on two teeth, and had a shard of tooth jammed in his gum that he had to slowly work out with his tongue. It was brutal and made me go get a mouth guard to play with. I haven't played with it yet but I'm seriously considering bringing it next time I play pick up. I've seen multiple mouth injuries while playing ball and I'm scared of it happening to me. I do feel like I'll look a bit cheesy playing with a mouth guard though, I don't think I've ever seen someone play casual pickup with one before.

It's a really good idea unless you want to be snaggletooth for the rest of your life; elbows are hard. Make sure to get one that let's you breathe and let it be chomped in at the same time. Some don't don't and you can end up hyper-ventiliating

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 17, 2012

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This week must have been the week for elbows. I was playing some two on two with my friend and two other people and one of the guys on the other team was playing out of control and kept running face first into elbows. If I went up for a rebound and came down with my elbows out, this guy would reach/run from behind to try and steal it and get an elbow in the face. Dribbling and using my other hand to clear room, run into an elbow. I wasn't throwing them into him, dude just would not slow down. I think I'm going to invest in a mouthguard; I had braces 15 years ago and don't have dental insurance.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I started giving calls to the other team the other day, I don't know why I haven't been punched yet.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
So I was playing a friendly game of pick up yesterday. It was 5v5, a few little guys were playing, they were like 12. I don't mind, it was super hot and everyone was dicking around having fun.

Now, there's this kid who comes up there everyday. His name is Cam, and he's a douche. He's top 100 in the state, blah blah blah. He's seriously a dick. He brings his 3 man posse with him and decides he wants to play us. Cool, it was getting stale playing with same people.

Now, we normally shoot for teams, just to shake things up. Not Cam. He has to have his posse of friends who are dedicated Cam passers who either cherry pick or ONLY pass to Cam. The worst kind of players.

The game starts and he gets the ball. He runs and dunks it over a freaking 12 year old half his size and knocks him over. Whatever, accident, right? Nope. He then steals the ball from the same kid next position and has his friend oop it of the backboard. Everyone is just watching him be a dick and drive and dunk/layup every shot at full pace like this is some tournament or something. He scores 15 of their 15 and they win 15-8.

We run same teams again. He does the same poo poo again, and it's really unfun. He's starting to do showoff poo poo like failing miserably on 360 dunks. Seriously doesn't even get close but tried it twice. So I made it my goal to piss him off. I started to wrap him up when he went for layups, I'd smother the poo poo out of him on defense. I'm bigger, I'm stronger, but he's 100x the player I am.

The whole reason I'm rambling is because of this one moment: He decided to try and shoot over me but I read his pump fakes like a champ and blocked the ever loving poo poo out of him. I mean, I destroyed that loving ball. He got so pissed that the next time he was driving, he led with his knee and he kneed me right in the chest. I don't call fouls so I just let it go. He looks at me and says "block that" and does some stupid flex your biceps move or something. I don't know what the gently caress. They end up winning 15-6 and he packs up his poo poo and leaves after chestbumping his friends.

If only he wasn't 17. Why do people have to be such unfun pieces of poo poo? It's a goddamn pickupgame with middle schoolers in it.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I haven't experienced a guy like that in years but normally I would just dedicate every bit of energy I had into embarrassing him while guarding him. I loving hate people like that but they're everywhere. Whenever I play a game with kids or guys that I'm obviously better than, I usually pass the ball a lot more or just take jumpers unless the game is close for some reason. Anything more than that is just being a loving jerkoff

When I was in high school I guarded a guy who thought he was that good but wasn't and I held him scoreless except for a lucky 3 pointer. Someone was shot at the court like 3 minutes after I left so I guess be careful with that strategy

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Inudeku posted:

The whole reason I'm rambling is because of this one moment: He decided to try and shoot over me but I read his pump fakes like a champ and blocked the ever loving poo poo out of him. I mean, I destroyed that loving ball. He got so pissed that the next time he was driving, he led with his knee and he kneed me right in the chest. I don't call fouls so I just let it go. He looks at me and says "block that" and does some stupid flex your biceps move or something.

If some rear end in a top hat tried doing this to me I would have lost my cool and gone all Bynum on Barea the next time he drove at the very least. You are a better person than me.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I don't wanna be Ron Artest here, but if you're trying to piss off someone, you must be willing to undercut him or something if it comes to that, you can't just push him around and then act surprised when he retaliates. Hopefully next time you won't be playing with children and be able to win fairly, without punching a teenager.
Edit: By the way, I'm not saying you should actually undercut the guy, that's the worst, just don't pick fights you can't win.

cisneros fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 1, 2012

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
The closest thing to anything violent in a basketball game I was in was when two of my team-mates got into a huge argument about help-defense and trapping. All my friends are nerds.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

My gym is full of old lawyers and stuff, but occasionally gets interesting when we have a bunch of people. Nobody wants to sit, so stuff gets competitive.

We were having one of those days when a new guy shows up. Good sized guy, mid 40s, could play. I didn't guard him, but he guarded me.

I had the ball on a fast break and he pulled me down from behind. Like grabbed both shoulders and yanked.

I come crashing down hard enough that dudes on the bench run over to check if I'm all right. I am, we keep playing, I hit the game winner. Woohoo.

Anyway, after the game I walk over to the dude and very calmly start "Hey man, just be careful with that stuff-"

He just cuts me off and starts screaming at me. I just walk off.

Never saw him again. I did find out that at the time he was CFO of the Bobcats.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

cisneros posted:

I don't wanna be Ron Artest here, but if you're trying to piss off someone, you must be willing to undercut him or something if it comes to that, you can't just push him around and then act surprised when he retaliates. Hopefully next time you won't be playing with children and be able to win fairly, without punching a teenager.
That's exactly what someone did to me years ago, and it remains the only time I lost my temper. He was a scrub who, for some inexplicable reason, didn't realize he was a scrub. After scoring on him a couple of times down the court, he simply tackled me in mid air while I was shooting a jumper, bumped me right into the wall (we were playing in a lovely little gym). Before I could even say something, he looked at me on the ground and said "don't cry, pussy". So I got up calmly, took the ball and inbounded it right into his loving face. Hard. He got a swollen black eye out of it... which sucks, because I wanted to squash his nose.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

crm posted:

Never saw him again. I did find out that at the time he was CFO of the Bobcats.

Fact: The higher up the corporate ladder one is, the dirtier he will ball.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I went down to a park near me to play some pickup games for the first time this year yesterday. I was playing with a lot of high school/college aged guys, so at 31, I got to be the old dude. It was nice to find out that while I'm out of shape (which is why I'm playing basketball in the first place this summer), I still have a quick enough first step to make a little space, and I can definitely still shoot. It's nice when you can hit shots from the outside, because in most pickup games, it's easy to assume those are terrible shots being taken by idiots; if you can actually shoot, you can almost always find some room to get a shot off if your range extends out to at least the college three point line.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So I'm starting to realize that everyone is really terrible at reliably getting the ball to go in unless it's on an open drive through the lane. Because of this I've started intentionally fouling everyone who blows by their guy and just resetting the possession instead of giving up the basket.

Is this generally viewed to be incredibly annoying?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you foul someone on literally every drive in the lane on purpose you are being a dick, yeah.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
On the other hand, I played pickup 2v2 against/with a 6'5 jump shooter who would just shoot off the catch at over 50%. It was the least fun I've ever had since no one else was over 6'1 and he'd often just get his own rebound too.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
That is also being a dick, but not as bad as fouling a guy on purpose every possession because he's carving your team up.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

So I'm starting to realize that everyone is really terrible at reliably getting the ball to go in unless it's on an open drive through the lane. Because of this I've started intentionally fouling everyone who blows by their guy and just resetting the possession instead of giving up the basket.

This is a good way to get a hard foul back against you. If it is game point it is somewhat acceptable, even though I absolutely hate that as well.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I'm currently going to some court where people play mostly 3 on 3, it has some good players, but I'm a new guy, so I often get paired with the worse ones, and I'm being a dick to those poor guys. Last weekend I straight told one of my teammates "look, I just need you to make one shot, can you do that?" He did go like 0-10 on open shots, but still, the guy just went away to shoot to another hoop :( I want to take it easy, but I have to win to play enough games, and in the end I'm still a roleplayer at heart and can't deal with it. I will keep trying, though, basketball should be about good times.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Doltos posted:

Fouls just reset possession, so if you take your strategy to the the extreme there's no rule stopping you from hacking the poo poo out of the other team every time they pass off top without turning it over. In practice it's a stupid terrible way to play, and would get you kicked off the court. In my mind, intentional fouls are acceptable on a fast break or on game point, and you should wrap them up and not just attack them on the shot. If you're fouling everyone entering the key it's like you can't/won't play defence.

cisneros posted:

I'm currently going to some court where people play mostly 3 on 3, it has some good players, but I'm a new guy, so I often get paired with the worse ones, and I'm being a dick to those poor guys. Last weekend I straight told one of my teammates "look, I just need you to make one shot, can you do that?" He did go like 0-10 on open shots, but still, the guy just went away to shoot to another hoop :( I want to take it easy, but I have to win to play enough games, and in the end I'm still a roleplayer at heart and can't deal with it. I will keep trying, though, basketball should be about good times.

That sounds like a good way to make someone play worse. Why not be the guy to elevate your team instead of putting them down?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Doltos posted:

You are the worst

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

rscott posted:

If you foul someone on literally every drive in the lane on purpose you are being a dick, yeah.

In all fairness it's not like I'm out there hacking people left and right, it's only if I'm in the area and just enough so they can get a shot off. I don't grab arms and pull them down but I'll slap a wrist while they're shooting.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Doltos posted:

In all fairness it's not like I'm out there hacking people left and right, it's only if I'm in the area and just enough so they can get a shot off. I don't grab arms and pull them down but I'll slap a wrist while they're shooting.

Don't do this, man.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

A pickup game is supposed to be fun. Stop slapping people. If you get beat, just let it go and play for the next point. The most annoying guy in a pickup game is the one that tries way too hard and ends up slapping everyone

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

BIZORT posted:

A pickup game is supposed to be fun. Stop slapping people. If you get beat, just let it go and play for the next point. The most annoying guy in a pickup game is the one that tries way too hard and ends up slapping everyone

THANK YOU. Jesus christ when will people realize pickup games aren't loving game 7s of nba finals. Have fun. Let other people have fun. I've seen people break bones from hard fouls. And they weren't accidental contact either.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Doltos posted:

Don't be a dick.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

BIZORT posted:

That's the first guy I pick when new teams are formed. I don't give a poo poo that he can't dribble or shoot, having him annoy the other team (and not me) is well worth it.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Inudeku posted:

THANK YOU. Jesus christ when will people realize pickup games aren't loving game 7s of nba finals. Have fun. Let other people have fun. I've seen people break bones from hard fouls. And they weren't accidental contact either.

Especially since you can play good defense without slapping people left and right. Or, at least, you should be able to.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

"THE HAND IS PART OF THE BALL"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BIZORT posted:

"THE HAND IS PART OF THE BALL"

*slaps someone 6 inches above their wrist*

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

There was a guy in the gym the other day who, thankfully, was on my team and was pulling Shane Battier poo poo. Fake punching people in the stomach, nearly poking people in the eye by putting hands in their faces, doing that weird lateral jump thing where they get to the ball late and go flying past, holding jerseys, tapping dudes on the head... It was pretty annoying to watch, I can't imagine what it was like to be actually defended by him.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The more you know.

I am one of the few people that actually plays defense on my courts. I got really tired of people just letting guys fly by, making it a crap shoot if your team wins or not. I usually take pride in taking on the ballingest guy at the court and shutting him down but I guess I took it too far with every one elses matchup. I will reel in the hacking from now on.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

im about to play in nyc for the first time today after balling in los angeles (county) and am expecting to get violently poo poo on. should be fun though :)

cisneros posted:

haha youre a loving dickhead

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

BigLeafyTree posted:

That sounds like a good way to make someone play worse. Why not be the guy to elevate your team instead of putting them down?

Eh, I don't really know how to do that, I basically get tunnel vision when driving to the basket. I think I'll just concentrate on not being a dick, which is the most important skill to have.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Basketball is a game, it is fun, go have fun and play basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Declan MacManus posted:

There was a guy in the gym the other day who, thankfully, was on my team and was pulling Shane Battier poo poo. Fake punching people in the stomach, nearly poking people in the eye by putting hands in their faces, doing that weird lateral jump thing where they get to the ball late and go flying past, holding jerseys, tapping dudes on the head... It was pretty annoying to watch, I can't imagine what it was like to be actually defended by him.

It's easy enough to give him an elbow in a situation like that.

I'm not an rear end in a top hat on the court until you're an rear end in a top hat to me.

• Locked thread