Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The game can still surprise me after a hundred hours. So i was just walking up this mountain and suddenly holy gently caress a level 120 dragon lands on my face :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I actually got Shulk's 5th tree first for some reason then way later his fourth and I've been systematically doing all quests. I tried to fight that lvl 120 unique until it's beyond bullshit spike activated the moment i hit it and said gently caress this.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Did the battle music get a whole lot more :black101: now that I've recruited Seven?

Mucking About
May 30, 2011

Draile posted:

Did the battle music get a whole lot more :black101: now that I've recruited Seven?

I think the music changes depending on the giant you are currently twaddling on. But yeah, :black101:.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The original fight music is good, but Mechanical Rhythm is excellent for beating stuff up to.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So i need a little help from people who know the music /soundtrack from this game. I ripped myself the soundtrack directly from the game, 'cause it has all the looping points and stuff embedded, so i can just throw this thing into Winamp and let it conveniently loop forever without having to fire up the game and idle in Gaur Plains.

They're oviously not 'tagged', so i've been going through all the 131 music files to ID them with the tracklist of the OST. There's been two tracks that i couldn't figure out, though. Maybe you can help. These two:

Link

Link

I know i've heard the first one in the game somewhere already, but i'm not sure what it is. I have absolutely nothing on the second one.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The first one is called Anger, Darkness of the Heart and the second Creeping Shadows and i already forgot where they played since i stopped playing a while ago.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Link

Anger, Darkness of the Heart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOJJ5vTSTeE

(Totally blanking on when it's played, though.)

HenryEx posted:

Link

Creeping Shadows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1E-AN-5WJI

(Blanking on that one too.)

e:f,b

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Do certain collectibles only spawn in rare locations? I ran through the Ether Mine a half-dozen times, and I only found the one Yellow Cat in a secret area. It was just an animal, not a special-type collectible.

It'll be a real pain trying to figure out what all the three-heart collectibles things are for all the characters, because I'll need to grab at least six of each before I can do a full test. So far, I have that Shulk really likes Blue Chains and Winding Gears, and Melia really likes Dobercorgies.)

What level should I be when leaving the Frontier Village for the capital of the empire? I think I'm going to be overleveled at 39.

All that talk of 4th and 5th skill trees makes me go :stare: because I think I've JUST BARELY fully opened up Reyn's first tree, and he's level 39!

Is Melia's Duplicate Summon spell worth it if I'm basically only spamming her summons as projectiles and re-summoning them immediately? (Right now all three are at level 4.)

I cleared off the big spiders from the roof of Exile Fortress, but the quest-giver just suggested I "look somewhere else" for something to do.

Also, the Nopon from the Nopon Refuge wants me to deliver something in a time-limited quest to a Nopon I've never heard of "somewhere far away". :rolleyes: That's helpful.

HenryEx posted:

So i need a little help from people who know the music /soundtrack from this game. I ripped myself the soundtrack directly from the game, 'cause it has all the looping points and stuff embedded, so i can just throw this thing into Winamp and let it conveniently loop forever without having to fire up the game and idle in Gaur Plains.

I can't help with that, but would you mind throwing up "Engage the Enemy" and "One Who Gets in Our Way" on Tindeck as well, please? It'll save me the time of finding them for myself.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Do certain collectibles only spawn in rare locations? I ran through the Ether Mine a half-dozen times, and I only found the one Yellow Cat in a secret area. It was just an animal, not a special-type collectible.

It'll be a real pain trying to figure out what all the three-heart collectibles things are for all the characters, because I'll need to grab at least six of each before I can do a full test. So far, I have that Shulk really likes Blue Chains and Winding Gears, and Melia really likes Dobercorgies.)

What level should I be when leaving the Frontier Village for the capital of the empire? I think I'm going to be overleveled at 39.

All that talk of 4th and 5th skill trees makes me go :stare: because I think I've JUST BARELY fully opened up Reyn's first tree, and he's level 39!

Is Melia's Duplicate Summon spell worth it if I'm basically only spamming her summons as projectiles and re-summoning them immediately? (Right now all three are at level 4.)

I cleared off the big spiders from the roof of Exile Fortress, but the quest-giver just suggested I "look somewhere else" for something to do.

Also, the Nopon from the Nopon Refuge wants me to deliver something in a time-limited quest to a Nopon I've never heard of "somewhere far away". :rolleyes: That's helpful.

1) Some locations do seem to yield more rare collectibles than others. Time of day may also matter. But even if you had the details they wouldn't help much. You can't savescum collectibles, so your bets bet is to just collect everything you can find. You may be able to trade for a missing collectible, too.

2) If you want to save yourself some effort, the spreadsheet linked in the op has a "gifts" section that does the hard work for you.

3) You're probably overleveled. It will happen if you do side quests.

4) You will have a lot of opportunity to earn sp. Discovering locations and landmarks yields tons.

5) Summon copy is worth it to quickly cast two summon bolts. Melia should be gemmed for more electric damage.

6) Killing the spiders isn't essential to that quest. I ran my rear end off. You can go back later for a high level UM.

7) The target for that quest is in the next town.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Each blue glowy can have up to 8 possible collectibles it can cough up, and not all of them at the same odds. Also, some blue glowies only spawn at night and some only spawn during the day.

In other words, yes, some of them are just plain going to be rarer than others, and the rare ones aren't always going to be categorized as "strange" or anything. In some cases you can get around that by getting the collectible by trading with an NPC. The best you can do (without risking spoilers by doing message board searches for specific collectibles) is vary where you're running around and hit up glowies throughout the area during both day and night.

There are FAQs for these things, but again, risk of spoilers. If you're up to Frontier Village, then copy-pasting from a FAQ on GameFAQs and snipping out the parts that would be spoilers to you:

Shulk +3:
Shield Bug [Insect, Makna Forest]
Blue Chain [Part, Colony 9]
Winding Gear [Part, Bionis' Leg]
Pauper's Cup [Stange, Satorl Marsh]

Shulk +2:
Sirius Anemone [Flower, Colony 6]
Orb Daisy [Flower, Satorl Marsh]
Rumble Stonefly [Insect, Tephra Cave]
Mystery Firefly [Insect, Ether Mine]
Black Panel [Strange, Frontier Village]

Reyn +3:
Spicy Cabbage [Vegetable, Bionis' Leg]

Reyn +2:
Humming Cabbage [Vegetable, Satorl Marsh]
Schorl Mushroom [Vegetable, Makna Forest]
Shin Newt [Animal, Tephra Cave]
Black Frog [Animal, Ether Mine]
Yellow Cat [Animal, Ether Mine]
Giant Hornet [Insect, Colony 9]
White Night Rod [Strange, Colony 6]

Dunban +2:
Prairie Dragonfly [Insect, Colony 9]
Rubber Mantis [Insect, Ether Mine]
Water Log [Nature, Satorl Marsh]
Blue Gear Shard [Part, Satorl Marsh]
Plate Snow [Strange, Colony 9]
Death Bangle [Strange, Bionis' Leg]
Lemonade Sky [Strange, Makna Forest]

Sharla +3:
Sour Gooseberry [Fruit, Bionis' Leg]

Sharla +2:
Hard Lotus [Vegetable, Bionis' Leg]
Bright Fig [Fruit, Tephra Cave]
Spicy Nut [Fruit, Frontier Village]
Kneecap Rock [Nature, Tephra Cave]
Gold Dust Illusion [Strange, Bionis' Leg]

Riki +3:
Soft Sea Cucumber [Animal, Makna Forest]
Moth Crawler [Insect, Bionis' Leg]
Rubber Mantis [Insect, Ether Mine]

Riki +2:
Kelp Mushroom [Vegetable, Makna Forest]
Sour Gooseberry [Fruit, Bionis' Leg]
Prairie Dragonfly [Insect, Colony 9]
Brown Butterfly [Insect, Tephra Cave]
Forest of Gossip [Strange, Makna Forest]

Melia +3:
Dobercorgi [Animal, Colony 6]

Melia +2:
Spirit Clematis [Flower, Colony 6]
Chimera Rabbit [Animal, Satorl Marsh]
Venom Platypus [Animal, Satorl Marsh]
Steel Silk [Strange, Tephra Cave]
Rumble Box [Strange, Frontier Village]

You are, but not too badly. You're about the right level for the next real boss, and a little high for a mini-boss that precedes that, and after that you'll be on track again.

General rule of thumb is that if you want a reasonable challenge (neither pushovers nor bashing your head against a wall) you should expect to be about 0-2 levels above the local random enemies, and about 0-2 levels below the bosses. If you're overlevelled, cutting down on exploration :saddowns:, cutting down on sidequesting, and running past enemies more than killing them, will help out. Similarly if you're underlevelled, doing all those things will help you catch up.

It's more 4th and 5th branches to that first tree. So you start the game with three branches, you can unlock a fourth branch at around or slightly later than you currently are in the game, and you can unlock a fifth branch when you're close to the end of the game.

Sure. Use it for your favorite projectile to get two in a row rather than waiting around for that one's cooldown to reset. Or use it for a projectile whose own personal cooldown is super-long (read: Summon Earth).

That's one mini-quest-arc, and it along with a few other mini-quest-arcs are involved in a bigger endgame quest arc. For the time being, if you've gotten the item off the roof (and optionally killed off the spiders), you're done with that for now. There'll be more on the subject later in the game if you haven't tired of sidequesting by then.

"Somewhere far away" is in Frontier Village, but yeah, it's pretty vague directions, especially if you don't go around talking to all the named NPCs. (And Frontier Village is big enough and has a wacky enough layout that it's really easy to miss a few.) I think he's on 2F at night.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Vil posted:

Each blue glowy can have up to 8 possible collectibles it can cough up, and not all of them at the same odds. Also, some blue glowies only spawn at night and some only spawn during the day.

In other words, yes, some of them are just plain going to be rarer than others, and the rare ones aren't always going to be categorized as "strange" or anything. In some cases you can get around that by getting the collectible by trading with an NPC. The best you can do (without risking spoilers by doing message board searches for specific collectibles) is vary where you're running around and hit up glowies throughout the area during both day and night.

Thanks for that, I had a hunch that was the case, and I noticed glowies spawning after the time change as well.

quote:

There are FAQs for these things, but again, risk of spoilers. If you're up to Frontier Village, then copy-pasting from a FAQ on GameFAQs and snipping out the parts that would be spoilers to you:

Thank you so much for that list. I know I could look, but I do want to avoid spoilers, at least until I finish the game once.

quote:

You are, but not too badly. You're about the right level for the next real boss, and a little high for a mini-boss that precedes that, and after that you'll be on track again.

General rule of thumb is that if you want a reasonable challenge (neither pushovers nor bashing your head against a wall) you should expect to be about 0-2 levels above the local random enemies, and about 0-2 levels below the bosses. If you're overlevelled, cutting down on exploration :saddowns:, cutting down on sidequesting, and running past enemies more than killing them, will help out. Similarly if you're underlevelled, doing all those things will help you catch up.

I'm a completionist by nature, and it's so hard for me to avoid doing quests. (Especially since accepting them gives much-needed affinity bonuses.) But I'll try. I barely beat the Makna forest boss at level 37, but I was playing as Riku with all his arts at level 1, making me somewhat handicapped.

quote:

That's one mini-quest-arc, and it along with a few other mini-quest-arcs are involved in a bigger endgame quest arc. For the time being, if you've gotten the item off the roof (and optionally killed off the spiders), you're done with that for now. There'll be more on the subject later in the game if you haven't tired of sidequesting by then.

"Somewhere far away" is in Frontier Village, but yeah, it's pretty vague directions, especially if you don't go around talking to all the named NPCs. (And Frontier Village is big enough and has a wacky enough layout that it's really easy to miss a few.) I think he's on 2F at night.

Thanks for the info, that should help a bunch. You got the location of the delivery guy right!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 6, 2012

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm a completionist by nature too, so I feel your pain. What I ultimately resolved to do was have playthrough #1 be PLOT PLOT MUST SEE PLOT (which had the bonus side effect of having all the fights be challenging since I wasn't overlevelled and more importantly was so plot-focused I even ignored gem crafting :doh:), and playthrough #2 be "okay, now that spoilers are a non-issue, let's dig around and explore and sidequest and see every bit of juicy detail this game has to offer - oh, and also actually understand what's going on in the foreshadowing". The game does have a New Game+ system, after all.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just beat the game, and maybe right in time. Xenoblade seems to be hell-bent on killing my Wii. I'd just had it serviced a month or so before the game came out, and at this point it is having trouble keeping a stable connection to my TV (the display randomly jumps left and right a few pixels at a time) and now I can hear the motor in the disc drive dying. This game :arghfist::mad:

Endgame chat (SPOILERS!): I wasn't expecting it to get science-ish at the end or imply the game world was actually related to Earth. Looking back I guess floating in space by Saturn was a giveaway, though at the time I'd just figured it was a random ringed planet used as a backdrop because it looked cool. The possibility of instigating the creation of a new universe and in effect becoming its "god" is kind of a thing at the deep end of string theory craziness though, and I was amused that that's where Zanza apparently originated. But man that was some scenery chewing in that flashback. There was no scenery left, so they had to create a new universe for him to ham it up in.

I reached Griffith Zanza at level 81 with Shulk/Dunban/Melia, and I think I was a bit overpowered between the extra skill trees and rank VI gems. 16 seconds to wail on him while he charged up his talent art, then toppling him and forcing him to start over, went a long way towards making it kind of a lame fight. On the bright side, I've still got all of the level 100+ monsters to track down and I doubt I'll be able to take them down so cheaply.

The Happily Ever After ending may be trite, but damnit if any JRPG cast deserves it it's this one. On top of everything else that works better in this game than with most others in the genre, it was nice to see the characters approach the game's challenges more or less rationally and with a believable degree of selflessness while still managing to look like super heroes in the process. Sure, Shulk turns down the opportunity to literally be God, but the entire plot of the game was demonstrating that he's just the kind of guy who'd be able to make that decision. The downside is that it'd be kind of hard to write a direct sequel with comparable stakes, but at this point I'll gladly throw money at whatever Monolith decides to release.

Now here's hoping my Wii lives long enough for me to tackle the next 20ish levels worth of post-game stuff.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
^Not quoting that because I want to avoid spoilers, but
If worse comes to worse and your Wii disc drive goes down, it's actually pretty easy to set up the Wii to load from a hard drive.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I just faced off against Jade/Gadolt Face - how far into the game am I? I'm already at 60 hours so I'm anticipating at least another 40 hours of gameplay.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Karthe posted:

I just faced off against Jade/Gadolt Face - how far into the game am I? I'm already at 60 hours so I'm anticipating at least another 40 hours of gameplay.

I'd say you're getting close to the 3/4 mark for the main plot. If you're going to do the high level content plus the bonus bosses, then yeah you probably have at least another 40 hours left.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Almost done it seems like, Im guessing Im completely locked out of Mechonis?

Will it ever let me back in there for endgame stuff or quests?

Mucking About
May 30, 2011

Still being way underleveled, I finally beat up two big baddies near the end of the game after having optimized my team even further. Then I realise they were optional all along. :smithicide: Onwards! I should just level up but on the other hand I am too curious if I can beat up the end boss at level 72.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
drat, I know by now I shouldn't be startled by the scale of the game, but Alcamoth still managed to impress me. If they got many visitors, I'd say that the sheer amount of space was intended to impress visitors.

I've just been released from confinement to help some lighthouse keeper or teleporter guy or something. I like the sudden reappearance of Alvis - is that guy the Seer? That'd explain his key, I suppose. I half-suspect that this save the lighthouse keeper guy is actually a secret test to prove Shulk is an okay dude. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that it'll be a little while before Melia rejoins the party. This place seems like it's going to get political. Assassination conspiracies always do.

About skill links:

I filled out the primary tree for Shulk and Reyn, so I switched their specialty to something else to start building points there. I still have skill links set in the old tree. Do those skill links still have their effect even though they're set to a different tree?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 6, 2012

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

All skills that you have unlocked are always in effect.

wefeelgroove
Oct 21, 2010
Last night I sat down and marathoned a huge chunk of plot, not because I had planned to but because after each new custscene I really had to see what happened next! :ohdear: The last area I finished in was Galahad Fortress, it had enemies that were in the mid 50s and I'm about 40 hours in according to the save screen, so I guess don't roll over this if you haven't finished there yet.

Mumkhar was a nightmare both times. The first time on the snow mountain I didn't realize he was still immune to damage without the Monado, and I didn't have Shulk in my party at first which led to a swift, painful death and a long hike back because the last landmark I had been at was the Monado shrine place. Then in Sword Valley I had a hard time seeing anything with him and the two faced Mechon blocking my view constantly. He was such an rear end in a top hat, both gameplay-wise and plot-wise. His last cutscene was very satisfying.

The whole Sword Valley/Galahad Fortress deal really felt like the game was hyping it up to be the final dungeon, and even though I knew it wasn't endgame because I was fairly certain I was getting Fiora back (the interface is not very subtle about the fact that you get a 7th party member) it did come off as very final dungeon-y. In a way it is, since actually getting Fiora back (which was such an adorable scene) pretty much marks the end of the REVENGE OR BUST arc. I can safely say I have absolutely no idea where the plot is going from here, and I love it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Fire Tarantulas are the bane of my goddamn existence :argh:

I will find you one day you stupid bug. This hole in my collectopedia is like a hole IN MY HEART.

Related to the 7th character:

Please tell me future incarnations of the Speed Frame look less atrocious. God drat. :ughh:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 6, 2012

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Related to the 7th character:

Please tell me future incarnations of the Speed Frame look less atrocious. God drat. :ughh:

Nope you're stuck with that if you want that sweet haste gem. You can circumvent this near the endgame where you get haste V crystals to make them into VI and slap it on her weapon.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
I think you can make your own Haste V gems if you want to get around using that... thing.

In other news, just finished the game. Hundred hours on the clock, everyone one of them worth it.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Allan Assiduity posted:

I think you can make your own Haste V gems if you want to get around using that... thing.

In other news, just finished the game. Hundred hours on the clock, everyone one of them worth it.
Is the piece of armor in question the blue one that turns Seven's breasts into torpedoes?

Sometimes I think the devlopers are taunting us by making some of the best armors hideous and fanservicey. Like, seriously, I have oils on Dunban and Reyn and this Guyver-looking get-up on Sharla (which offers no actual protection to her vital organs)...

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Yep that's the one and i had to suffer through it until i got the V crystals and switched to the late game white one one.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Allan Assiduity posted:

It kind of isn't worth it until you have rank VI Haste (and probably rank VI Double Attack too) since otherwise there won't be enough room on the weapon to really get your murder on.

Also, question about the last dungeon (spoilers): I'm pretty sure I got everything I need out of the behemoth nest, the kitchen, and the area above the Corridor of Silence (two Inferno Elements, four unique monsters, four giant's chests). Is there a way to unlock the kitchen door again in case it turns out I left something important behind?

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 6, 2012

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
So eventually 7 gets armor that isn't unique and I can gem how I want? Until then I'll just have to run around with rear end cracks hanging out.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Thundarr posted:

Also, question about the last dungeon (spoilers): I'm pretty sure I got everything I need out of the behemoth nest, the kitchen, and the area above the Corridor of Silence (two Inferno Elements, four unique monsters, four giant's chests). Is there a way to unlock the kitchen door again in case it turns out I left something important behind?

Yes, there is a key in a passageway that opened up in the arena.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Huh, so according to a wiki, Melia is 88 years old.

Um, what?

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Dimix posted:

So eventually 7 gets armor that isn't unique and I can gem how I want? Until then I'll just have to run around with rear end cracks hanging out.

Yeah, it's mostly from drops by mobs over level 70

KoB
May 1, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Um, what?

You know that quest where you have to find that High Entia's two kids? The kids are 30 and 50.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Chaltab posted:

Um, what?
High Entia are basically Xenoblade's elves. Long lifespan, able to use magic naturally, advanced civilization, and casually racist.

KoB
May 1, 2009

KoB posted:

Can I get an answer to this?

Also, if I have double attack maxed at 50%, does a Weapon Power gem (boost activation of weapon gems) still increase that change more? Or is it still capped at 50?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

KoB posted:

Can I get an answer to this?

Also, if I have double attack maxed at 50%, does a Weapon Power gem (boost activation of weapon gems) still increase that change more? Or is it still capped at 50?

As far as I know Weapon Power only affects gems that cause debuffs or add damage to your attacks; it does nothing at all for double attack.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Yes, there is a key in a passageway that opened up in the arena.

Thanks!

Also, some good news regarding 7's ridiculous outfit. I just built Colony 6's commerce up to level 5, and there's a store that sells Speed IV gear. Rank VI Haste gem slotted in the frame, and it has a different appearance. No more bunny suit with a V-neck that goes down to the crotch.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

KoB posted:

You can return to Fallen Arm whenever you want. You've lost access to everything else though (hence why all the quests in those areas were timed).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

What are the prerequisites for unlocking Riki's 4th Skill Tree? I know where the quest-giver is, but the quest isn't popping up. I have 4-star affinity with the area, if that helps.

While I'm at it, does unlocking Reyn's involve reconstruction Colony 6 at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
So as most people who have read this thread, Seventh properly gemmed is a rampaging murdering death god. What I found out while starting to work on the ultra high level mobs is that Spike doesn't give a gently caress. Make sure you make yourself some Spike Resist gems for end-game, you're going to need them.

• Locked thread