Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

If IP telephony is a requirement, you may want a network that provides better guaranteed forwarding for the real-time data, so that would (to me) rule out p2p vpn over commodity broadband.

I think a better option would be ethernet and MPLS, though it will be more (perhaps substantially) expensive.

Metro ethernet from Comcast might be an option, but make sure they provide information about quality of service.

Yup. And if you can't get info about QoS then you should probably get another cheap broadband connection (DSL) and use that strictly for your voice bandwidth. Not having a voip-prioritized line will result in dropped calls, choppy calls, or other odd behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also something to consider, an MPLS solution is scalable, a LEC L2 ethernet service won't be able to be extended to any additional branch offices. Of course if this branch office is a one-off with no other plans for additional offices, then get a dedicated point to point for the best of both worlds: Dedicated Bandwidth, and most likely cheaper.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, I plan on pressing Comcast on an SLA but they're guaranteeing 3 different response times based on however much money we want to pay them. Is there a good resource for getting up to speed on MPLS, and how it works from a customer standpoint? I know nothing about it at all.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Comcast? SLA? I'm sorry Mario but the SLA is in another castle!

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

CrazyLittle posted:

Comcast? SLA? I'm sorry Mario but the SLA is in another castle!

But, but, they promised me :(

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

From a customer perspective, your MPLS circuit is just going to look like any typical kind of access technology- frame, atm (unlikely), ppp, ethernet, etc.

In a layer-3 configuration, you'll exchange routes with your private MPLS VPN by talking BGP or another (unlikely) protocol with the provider.

Or, in a layer-2 configuration, you'll see what looks like a large shared broadcast domain.

In the vast majority of cases, the magic isn't happening on the customer side, so you won't have to worry much about LSPs, or LDP, or mysterious address families, or anything like that.

Best advice I can give you is to ask your provider for their customer MPLS configuration documentation.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

The main concern for MTU size is fragmentation, since each fragment would have to be encrypted individually. Oversized packets can essentially double your PPS, causing higher cpu utilization.

To be safe just change the MTU to like 1400, if you want to verify, do a test ping from the source to the destination with the "do not fragment" flag set.

To lower chance of fragmentation you can also use "ip tcp mss-adjust 1360" command. This impacts TCP traffic, so each tcp packet size doesn't exceed 1400 mtu.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Powercrazy posted:

Also something to consider, an MPLS solution is scalable, a LEC L2 ethernet service won't be able to be extended to any additional branch offices. Of course if this branch office is a one-off with no other plans for additional offices, then get a dedicated point to point for the best of both worlds: Dedicated Bandwidth, and most likely cheaper.

If your provider can't do E-LAN you need to find a new provider. AT&T OpteMAN and TW NLAN products both have point-to-multipoint capability though we primarily use them as E-TREE they work as E-LAN. I would however recommend you get an unlimited tag service with them (dot1q tunnel) and establish site pair VLAN IDs and route across the metro due to the MAC address limitations which makes the whole thing start to look a lot like ATM or frame.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, that's how I was imagining it working from the really brief talk we had today - ethernet handoff to our core L3 switch and the branch office gets its own vlan/vlans. I'll make sure to ask about point-to-multipoint in case we need to do this again in the future.

Thanks for the input guys - goons rule. I am not a network guy, so while I could make something work, not pissing off the next guy or hacking together something unsustainable is important to me.

Kenfoldsfive
Jan 1, 2003

The un-bitey-ness of a chicken's head and the "I don't want to cook that"-ness of a dog's body

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

CEF is turned on.

Dunno what this is and Google says it's related to CEF.

I have the following in most of my configs to monitor processor usage:

pre:
process cpu threshold type total rising 80 interval 5 falling 20 interval 5
process cpu statistics limit entry-percentage 40 size 300
The first line will alert on cpu spikes - the second will make sure your syslog isn't flooded.

If there's a pattern of high cpu usage you should start to see alerts in your logs about it. They should be accompanied by a process number, so you can see what's causing the issue.

Also try running sh ip cef switching statistics. If you have a cef issue, you should see a whole mess of punts.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Thank you sir.

SSH pushed it to 88% earlier.

Regened key at 512 instead of 4096. Dunno if this will help. No debugging on either switch.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 3, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
EDIT

Sorry, trip post.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 3, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

EDIT.

Sorry, trip post.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Thank you sir.

SSH pushed it to 88% earlier.

Regened key at 512 instead of 4096. Dunno if this will help. No debugging on either switch.

There is a reason people don't use 512-bit SSH keys, you know. 1024 is at least somewhat realistic, 2048 is better. 4096 is overkill, but how often do you have people logging in?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Ninja Rope posted:

There is a reason people don't use 512-bit SSH keys, you know. 1024 is at least somewhat realistic, 2048 is better. 4096 is overkill, but how often do you have people logging in?

And what is the platform?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Don't do that.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Ninja Rope posted:

Echoing this, we typically run 1024 or 2048 depending on platform.

If you're paranoid define a rollover policy based on key strength.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Ninja Rope posted:

Doesn't that stop you from being able to use SSH v2 as well?

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I don't know exactly how much heat that bad boy puts out but that seems like an iffy idea :(

Though for real, I hated every second of having that CCNA stack next to my desk. If I could replace those tiny rear end fans with something else I probably would have.

I guess if I really cared I could have added in a resistor or two to stop those things from spinning so fast. Still pump air but not a huge datacenter-esque torrent.

Funny you should mention this...

I picked up a 2950 with the gigabit uplink ports for NZD$60, ~USD$50, due to 'fan making excessive noise, otherwise fine'. Yes it made noise, oh boy. The price was right however, so I figured I could pick up a cheap silent 40mm replacement fan for 20 bucks and use it.

Right now I'm in the process of upgrading it to take a silent 80mm fan secured to the top, I will post pics when I'm done. Testing has revealed that it will work, but respond with an amber system LED due to the fan control pin not receiving any juice.

mezoth
Aug 7, 2006

Mierdaan posted:

Yeah, that's how I was imagining it working from the really brief talk we had today - ethernet handoff to our core L3 switch and the branch office gets its own vlan/vlans. I'll make sure to ask about point-to-multipoint in case we need to do this again in the future.

Thanks for the input guys - goons rule. I am not a network guy, so while I could make something work, not pissing off the next guy or hacking together something unsustainable is important to me.

Just as a side note to this: last time I talked to the Comcast Metro-E guys, it was a fiberline service with a real SLA, and the l2 handoffs were running VPLS in the Comcast network - so you could do multipoint layer2 assuming all sites were in the fiber footprint. They also worked really hard to distance themselves from any of the cable modem services and offer competitive Metro-E services with actual SLAs.

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003

Gap In The Tooth posted:

Funny you should mention this...

I picked up a 2950 with the gigabit uplink ports for NZD$60, ~USD$50, due to 'fan making excessive noise, otherwise fine'. Yes it made noise, oh boy. The price was right however, so I figured I could pick up a cheap silent 40mm replacement fan for 20 bucks and use it.

Right now I'm in the process of upgrading it to take a silent 80mm fan secured to the top, I will post pics when I'm done. Testing has revealed that it will work, but respond with an amber system LED due to the fan control pin not receiving any juice.
I've been running a 2950 at my house with the fan removed since it was malfunctioning. Same amber LED, but it seems to have been going strong for the last 9 months. Definitely wouldn't do such a thing in production, though.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

aksuur posted:

I've been running a 2950 at my house with the fan removed since it was malfunctioning. Same amber LED, but it seems to have been going strong for the last 9 months. Definitely wouldn't do such a thing in production, though.

What sort of load do you have it under? I am planning for ~10 devices and possible streaming of one gigabit/sec between my media center and file server when playing HD movies.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
it was a tossup whether I should post this here or in the asterisk thread.

I have a CUCM environment. In this environment I have branch offices that I would like gain access to the PSTN via SIP. Does it make sense to license CUBE on each branch router, and terminate the local SIP trunks at the router, or should I terminate them all at our main datacenter? If I terminate at the branches, will the RTP stream traverse our wan to the CUCM, then back to the branch to hit the phone, or will the RTP stream only go from the branch router to the phone?

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

aksuur posted:

Same here, just that toothpick solved fan noise problem. Switch is under heavy power load - multiple PoE devices attached. Haven't encountered any problem so far (unless toothpick falls out).

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

it was a tossup whether I should post this here or in the asterisk thread.

I have a CUCM environment. In this environment I have branch offices that I would like gain access to the PSTN via SIP. Does it make sense to license CUBE on each branch router, and terminate the local SIP trunks at the router, or should I terminate them all at our main datacenter? If I terminate at the branches, will the RTP stream traverse our wan to the CUCM, then back to the branch to hit the phone, or will the RTP stream only go from the branch router to the phone?

Are you going to have PSTN access at the branch sites other than the SIP trunks? Are you planning on using SRST? What are your plans for calling 911 at the branch sites?

What we usually do for customers if they have a main office and several branch locations in a general metro area is to have one or two POTS lines at each branch location and a PRI at the main location. Incoming calls to the main lines at the branches come in over the POTS lines, and outgoing calls go out over the PRI at the main location. This way you save money by bundling and sharing the bulk of the lines over the PRI at the main office, but each branch also has at least one POTS line to make/receive calls over in SRST mode in the event of a WAN or datacenter failure. Also, all 911 calls are routed out over the local gateway through the POTS line at each site so the e911 information is correct.

If you terminate at the branches, the RTP stream will only traverse from the router to the phone.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3
c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-1.SE2

Is Universal the new iOS line? I basically just need EIGRP, Auto QOS, and Layer 3, which Universal does and for some reason I have the impression that it is the more up to date iOS.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3
c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-1.SE2

Is Universal the new iOS line? I basically just need EIGRP, Auto QOS, and Layer 3, which Universal does and for some reason I have the impression that it is the more up to date iOS.

Yes, universal is the new IOS line (iOS is for Apple devices). However, instead of having different features in different versions, they're activated in the universal version using licenses.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yes, universal is the new IOS line (iOS is for Apple devices). However, instead of having different features in different versions, they're activated in the universal version using licenses.
Really? I thought that only started in the 15.x lines. I'm running 12.2(53)SE2 on my access switches, and didn't have to add any licenses but then again they're running ipbase, not universal.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Are you going to have PSTN access at the branch sites other than the SIP trunks? Are you planning on using SRST? What are your plans for calling 911 at the branch sites?

If you terminate at the branches, the RTP stream will only traverse from the router to the phone.
We are going to continue to terminate a single pots line (shared with the alarm) for 911 access. I did some experimentation today, and it looks like the CUBE router relays all traffic, including RTP, through our call manager. I am using sip to sip, not h323 internally.

Alternatively, if we have to have a central trunking location, I would be ok with a setup that allows us to have a second CUBE router at another location, and the trunks to come up on that router if the primary one goes down. I could probably finish the cisco press voice book i have for the answer, but I am hoping the goons will save me the trouble.

Kenfoldsfive
Jan 1, 2003

The un-bitey-ness of a chicken's head and the "I don't want to cook that"-ness of a dog's body

ruro posted:

Really? I thought that only started in the 15.x lines. I'm running 12.2(53)SE2 on my access switches, and didn't have to add any licenses but then again they're running ipbase, not universal.

There are a few devices (3750-X being the one I know about) that have introduced universal images in the 12 release family.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

We are going to continue to terminate a single pots line (shared with the alarm) for 911 access. I did some experimentation today, and it looks like the CUBE router relays all traffic, including RTP, through our call manager. I am using sip to sip, not h323 internally.

Are you sure all the traffic is hairpinning through the callmanager? I know in traditional voice gateway scenarios with POTS or PRI lines, it doesn't, and I don't see why it would with the CUBE.

In fact, this Cisco whitepaper sells the CUBE on the fact that remote sites don't need to hairpin the voice traffic through the central CM.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/cis_45835_cube_assets_wp1e.pdf

(Page 7-8)

Granted, I don't have much experience with the CUBE. One of my coworkers is working on his CCIE Voice, and has played around with the CUBE quite a bit, so I'll run it by him tomorrow.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Kenfoldsfive posted:

There are a few devices (3750-X being the one I know about) that have introduced universal images in the 12 release family.

So how does this work, exactly? I haven't heard anything about this from our reseller.

What kind of services are they releasing via licenses?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So how does this work, exactly? I haven't heard anything about this from our reseller.

What kind of services are they releasing via licenses?

Google dude, come on.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/csa/configuration/guide/csa_overview.html

The feature breakout is different for each platform so you'll have to look that up. It is on cisco.com. Easiest way to search is to google site:cisco.com <keywords>

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

AtmaHorizon posted:

Same here, just that toothpick solved fan noise problem. Switch is under heavy power load - multiple PoE devices attached. Haven't encountered any problem so far (unless toothpick falls out).

I've had a couple of devices where the fan has failed, it has overheated, and shut off. In wiring closets mostly. It gets pretty darn hot. "sh env all" of course come back with FAN is OK . OK is not my criteria, I guess.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Welp, after six years at my place, I put in my notice. Going to be interesting working for a startup again.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

By the way, who has built a mpls-te environment?

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

Partycat posted:

I've had a couple of devices where the fan has failed, it has overheated, and shut off. In wiring closets mostly. It gets pretty darn hot. "sh env all" of course come back with FAN is OK . OK is not my criteria, I guess.

In wiring closets we usually don't care about noise.
This exact swith I was talking about is laying on my colleagues desk, so impact of shutting down is reduced to one person.

Regarding "sh env". It should not display OK for a failed FAN. I suppose behaviour varies between chassis. Below is output from one router (3825).

Fan 1 OK
Fan 2 OK
Fan 3 Low RPM

Every 20 seconds there is a new syslog entry: "%ENVMON-4-FAN_LOW_RPM: Fan 3 service recommended" messages.

If you don't like these messages, they can be filtered out. Not that it resolves the problem, but log doesn't get used up by them. Use with caution!

code:
logging discriminator noFan msg-body drops Fan 
logging buffered discriminator noFan 1000000
logging console discriminator noFan

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jwh posted:

By the way, who has built a mpls-te environment?

Ooo, oo. Me, ME!

Although it was only 4 PE routers, it was for financial data and around 200 customers though.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Quick load balancing question.

Have 6509-1 and 6509-2. There is a vlan with an IP shared between the two of them and 6509-1 hosts the SVI. These two interfaces are bonded into a Linux server with the far end of the /30. Everything is up and working, and I don't particularly NEED load balancing as I don't think it will ever need it, but just curious if there would be any load balancing at all or if the second interface would only be used in case the first is flooded, if at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I assume you are using HSRP, so the active gateway is .1 on 6509-1. Also I hope you mean that you have a single linux host sharing a /29 running a similar first hop redundancy protocol between it's two NICs (CRRP?). Anyway the short answer is no, load balancing doesn't work like any non-network person thinks it does. If one of the links "gets too full" then traffic will just be dropped.

6509's don't support cross-chassis etherchannel so you can't even use an intelligent link-sharing protocol like LACP. The best you can do is set up NIC teaming on the linux host and tell it to do per packet round robin load-balancing but depending on what that host is doing you would probably be better off leaving it alone.