Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Lost is my favorite TV show ever yet I can't bring myself to do an epic rewatch. I sort of want to leave how awesome that show was to my memory. It's a confusing, frustrating, insanity-inducing joy ride. I would skip over so much and feel cheated I was skipping it at the same time. At some point in the depths of the Third Season Slump, Lost became an obligation for me to watch not so much I really wanted to sit and watch it.

I for one was moved by the ending, even with the weirdness and corniness. Ended beautifully and I guarantee no show will ever try that again (for better and for worse).

Edit: Oh, and for how terrible Lost in the 1st half of Season 3 turned out (especially in hindsight between the dropped plotlines and wicked obvious stalling), the cage-based mini season of season 3 still managed to contain some of my favorite moments of television. I will never forget the ending to an episode paidoff Jack and his father's running line "Red Sox will never win the World Series" as a cop out to fated for failure. Ben found the perfect way to (temporarily) shake Jack's will to fight by showing him the video of the 2004 World Series. It put everything in perspective: length of time on island, the fate vs coincidence debate, miraculous events, Ben's ability to handle other characters, etc. And yes I am a Red Sox fan. It brought me back to the wonderful fall of my senior year of high school, when I just so happened to have started watching Lost from the beginning. Lost never ceased to amaze me. :lost:

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tewratomeh posted:

As the last person in the world to get around to watching The X-Files, I have to say I'm surprised at how young the two leads were when the series started. I always had this image of my head of the two of them looking really distinguished, but Gillian Anderson in-particular looks like a kid in the pilot.

It turns out it's because she was about 25 in the first season. David Duchovny was older, but he's David Duchovny. Dude still looks like he's in his 30's.

The X-Files is the only show that I've seen every episode of more than once. Now I'm just sad that I've seen every episode of the X-Files, and there are no more episodes to see. And there never will be. :smith:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I really enjoy fringe (only saw the first season) and wish that would show up on instant soon. It felt like a great x-files type show.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Ended up getting through Lilyhammer. It was consistently not-great but not-terrible and I hear they've got Season 2 in the works as soon as Silvio gets done touring with Springsteen.

I don't know if it's because of the accents or the music or what but it never felt too tense when they tried to make things tense. Lot of cringe-worthy moments too, but I ended up liking the story for the most part. I thought it got better near the end, and ended up marathoning the last couple episodes. Making it eight episodes was probably for the best, and kept the plot moving right along.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

scary ghost dog posted:

The X-Files is the only show that I've seen every episode of more than once. Now I'm just sad that I've seen every episode of the X-Files, and there are no more episodes to see. And there never will be. :smith:

There's still hope for a third movie to wrap up the conspiracy arc!

...isn't there?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Tewratomeh posted:

As the last person in the world to get around to watching The X-Files, I have to say I'm surprised at how young the two leads were when the series started. I always had this image of my head of the two of them looking really distinguished, but Gillian Anderson in-particular looks like a kid in the pilot.

It turns out it's because she was about 25 in the first season. David Duchovny was older, but he's David Duchovny. Dude still looks like he's in his 30's.

I thought this exact same thing. I guess seeing it as a kid, you're like "Wow, these people are oolldd." Then when you are their age.. :( Just started it though and drat is it awesome.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

I personally thought that the later seasons of Lost were worth it. Season 5 was actually my favorite in the series. Season 6 had a lot of missteps though. The whole flash-sideways thing cheapened a lot the show for me. It seemed that every time something dramatic happened in the real world, like someone dying, it would immediately cut to the sideways world. Then you'd sort of have to reserve judgement on how sad it was while waiting for the sideways story to resolve itself. I think this came into play for Jin and Sun's deaths in particular, how you couldn't really grieve for them because they're right there, happy as can be, in the next scene. The final season would have been so much better off told entirely in the present.

Lost is still great though, watch it.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Kingtheninja posted:

I really enjoy fringe (only saw the first season) and wish that would show up on instant soon. It felt like a great x-files type show.

Oh, man. If you liked the first season, you are gonna LOVE the next few.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Small Town Murder Songs is a really well shot film. The story is sort of interesting, but at times I felt like the film was a vessel for the soundtrack. It's not bad, but the plot is very simple. Maybe that's part of it's charm. It's sort of like Insomnia with a religious spin on it and without plot twists.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ClydeUmney posted:

Oh, man. If you liked the first season, you are gonna LOVE the next few.

Are you being sarcastic? I was thinking of starting this tonight.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rolo posted:

The first season is much more procedural and X-Filesy than the next three, which are very heavy on the bizarre and unpredictable.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Be prepared for a lot of the stuff mentioned in Season 1 to never show up again though.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Be prepared for a lot of the stuff mentioned in Season 1 to never show up again though.

I thought a lot of the stuff was mentioned again in some way or another throughout the Seasons.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Rolo posted:

Not at all. The show just gets better and better as it goes, and it really shakes off the creakiness of the first season.

der juicen posted:

I thought a lot of the stuff was mentioned again in some way or another throughout the Seasons.

It is. LOTS of first season stuff has come back up again in some surprising ways.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
It has been a while since I've watched Fringe Season 1, so I might be shaky on that one.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
It doesn't look like Fringe is on Netflix Streaming...

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

origami posted:

It doesn't look like Fringe is on Netflix Streaming...
It's not, the discussion about it started when someone said that they want it to come to Instant. Read the thread, and stop bitching about things that aren't on instant (because Netflix is literally the only way to watch television shows and movies).

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Is Fringe available somewhere else then? I don't own a tv and it sounds pretty cool. Thanks for your help.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

origami posted:

Is Fringe available somewhere else then? I don't own a tv and it sounds pretty cool. Thanks for your help.

Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/fringe

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Request incoming.

I recently watched Beer Wars. I was wondering if you goons knew of any good food/beverage related documentaries on streaming?

Also, a while back a podcaster I listen to mentioned a documentary on America's obsession with credit cards.

Thanks!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Also, a while back a podcaster I listen to mentioned a documentary on America's obsession with credit cards.

I believe this would be Maxed Out.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Request incoming.

I recently watched Beer Wars. I was wondering if you goons knew of any good food/beverage related documentaries on streaming?

Also, a while back a podcaster I listen to mentioned a documentary on Amrica's obsession with credit cards.

Thanks!

You would probably like How Beer Saved the World.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Blood Into Wine isn't too bad.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I believe this would be Maxed Out.

Frontline: The Card Game, an episode from a couple of years after Maxed Out makes an excellent companion piece.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I enjoyed Candyman (about the guy who made Jelly Belly and who got screwed over) and Blood Into Wine (about the lead singer of Tool trying to start his own winery) but both are far more dedicated to the actual weird personalities than the product or the challenges making it.

One that I think is excellent is Pressure Cooker, which features some inner-city kids trying to compete for a culinary scholarship.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 10, 2012

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

So according to https://www.streamingsoon.com Drive will start streaming on the 16th. :dance:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Terrifying Effigies posted:

So according to https://www.streamingsoon.com Drive will start streaming on the 16th. :dance:

If this site is accurate, then Ben Stiller's The Cable Guy will be available starting June 1. I've never seen it, but Tropic Thunder is good, and Zoolander is incredible, so I'm excited to check it out.

Edit: Also, due to this thread, I've run through the first season of Bob's Burgers, and it is pretty good. Tends to fall into gross-out humor a bit much, but it definitely has some really good moments. If nothing else, you can close your eyes and pretend Sterling Archer is running a burger restaurant.

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 10, 2012

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If this site is accurate, then Ben Stiller's The Cable Guy will be available starting June 1. I've never seen it, but Tropic Thunder is good, and Zoolander is incredible, so I'm excited to check it out.

The Cable Guy took a lot of poo poo at the time of its release, but it had some legitimately great spots of BLACK humor in it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah Cable Guy was Jim Carrey's first real departure from The Mask and Ace Ventura-y type rolls so everyone went in expecting more rear end talking and got a really dark movie that eventually people realized was hilarious.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
The Cable Guy is still one of my favorite Jim Carey movies. My brother and I still quote lines from it and will even mimic his accent.

Excellent movie.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
That loving "nightmare chase" scene is loving classic.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Edit: Also, due to this thread, I've run through the first season of Bob's Burgers, and it is pretty good. Tends to fall into gross-out humor a bit much, but it definitely has some really good moments. If nothing else, you can close your eyes and pretend Sterling Archer is running a burger restaurant.

Been watching Bob's Burgers as well, I think its ok, a few laugh out loud moments but mostly chuckles.

Horse butt !

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 11, 2012

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I didn't see this posted, but I really liked Mother (link).

It's a Korean Hitchockian suspense thriller/dark comedy about an elderly woman who becomes an amateur detective in order to clear her disabled son's name after the cops coerce him into confessing to a murder. It's got lots of tension and drama, but it's also pretty heartwarming at times.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Been watching Bob's Burgers as well, I think its ok, a few laugh out loud moments but mostly chuckles.

Horse butt !

I think my favorite was the second episode where about halfway through it turns into an extended reference to The Shining. It reminded me of early Simpsons, where they did several episodes primarily focused on Citizen Kane.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Tewratomeh posted:

I'm watching through this for the first time as well, I'd only seen scattered episodes as a kid. What a great show, I'm finally getting to see the story arcs together and in the right order. Some of the monster of the week episodes, especially early on, aren't great, but I haven't skipped anything yet, and the majority of them are really good.

I've been reading up about the show as I watch through it, and I never knew the whole story behind the comedy episodes before. I didn't even know there were comedy episodes, the ones I've seen are really well done though, very funny but not undermining the characters or the rest of the show.

It's also funny to watch the cell phones get slowly smaller and smaller as the seasons progress. They didn't really even have cell phones in the first season, which seems absolutely crazy almost 20 years later.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It's also funny to watch the cell phones get slowly smaller and smaller as the seasons progress. They didn't really even have cell phones in the first season, which seems absolutely crazy almost 20 years later.

Yeah, I only remember the show from the few episodes I caught around season 3 or 4, so seeing some of the low-tech moments from the first season is pretty funny. In one episode, they're talking about binary code like it's this amazing new concept... "the ones and zeroes could be a painting, or they could be a piece of music!"

On the other hand, a lot of modern network TV "police procedural" shows are still treating the internet like it's some scary, unknown and unknowable thing where evil people sell BDSM videos in exchange for stolen credit card numbers. The X-Files seems way ahead of the curve in that regard, in that the technology was at least current and they treated it as such.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, I only remember the show from the few episodes I caught around season 3 or 4, so seeing some of the low-tech moments from the first season is pretty funny. In one episode, they're talking about binary code like it's this amazing new concept... "the ones and zeroes could be a painting, or they could be a piece of music!"

On the other hand, a lot of modern network TV "police procedural" shows are still treating the internet like it's some scary, unknown and unknowable thing where evil people sell BDSM videos in exchange for stolen credit card numbers. The X-Files seems way ahead of the curve in that regard, in that the technology was at least current and they treated it as such.

I love the one about the computer that can kill people in their houses by using the internet--it's connected to everything!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Pretty sure I'm a little behind on this, but I just watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The original Swedish version of all 3 movies are available for streaming. I'm just curious if the second two movies are as good as the first? Because I really, really liked it.

Also, the comments on this movie on Netflix are hilarious. Half of them are people who got it on dvd, and didn't realize they were getting the original. Hell, they didn't even know there was an original. There's a lot of "Waaaaah what happened to the movie I saw in theaters?!".

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Tewratomeh posted:

One of the recent ones I watched had this man-creature using internet chatrooms to find lonely women to prey on. This had to be before AOL blew up and the whole concept of chatrooms and internet predators was even a common thing.

The techie FBI guys with really specific jobs that pop up every few episodes or so are cool too, and seem more grounded in reality than the type of stuff on shows like CSI. Even less glamorous jobs like handwriting experts get their due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Oh, if it's hilarious techno-bullshit that you're after, look no further than the two X-Files episodes penned by William Gibson. Yes, that William Gibson. The first one wasn't terrible, although watching it nowadays it reeks of the whole "COMPUTERS! INTERNET! AI!" thing that people were into in the '90s, and the visual effects are kind of dated. (There's a scene where a space laser blows up a lake that may be the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've ever seen in an X-Files episode. Yes, you read that correctly.) The second episode Gibson wrote, however, is a heap of irredeemable pablum about VIDYA GAMES and VIRTUAL REALITY; even watching it as a 14-year-old when it originally aired, I thought it was garbage.

• Locked thread