Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MockingQuantum posted:

Can anyone recommend a horror/paranormal themed RPG that is NOT SMT/Persona or overtly anime-styled? Something with a good atmosphere to it would be great. Something with awesome music would be even better.

And a tag-on question: The reason I ask is, myself and a group of friends want to try our hand at game development, and our initial discussion determined that our best choice for a first project may be an old-school turn-based RPG, as that would present the fewest hurdles in actual development and execution, and the idea of a horror-themed, maybe lovecraft-styled RPG was floated. I know we'd be trading development difficulties for stylistic/storyline writing difficulties, but does that idea sound interesting to anyone on this board at all?

Sweet Home for the NES, the original survival horror title, is an RPG. It doesn't hold up too well (obtuse puzzles, poor translation, that sort of thing), but I think it'd be a good stepping stone for the kind of game you want to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Papercut posted:

Somewhat related, I saw an FF XIII-2 demo on Live over the weekend and decided to give it a try. Despite my curiosity I turned the demo off within a minute of loading it up because everything about it was that bad. Like, the diction used in the combat menus was so offensively stupid that I couldn't even be bothered to try the game.

What do you mean? do you just mean the ravager commando stuff? because that's a really silly reason to not even try the game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Cityinthesea posted:

What do you mean? do you just mean the ravager commando stuff? because that's a really silly reason to not even try the game.

Fact: Some people love to turn off a game for stupid reasons before playing it to make some type of point. These are the same people who buy a full priced game, play it for 15 minutes and turn it off, and then brag about it like its an accomplishment or some sort.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Armor-Piercing posted:

I get that you hate the game, but I don't think unlocking the top tier abilities of each class is really something you could consider a "tutorial element." Also, while it's probably not the best solution, it's at least an attempt to make sure that the final boss somewhat challenging on the first run. For example, some people in the Xenoblade thread are lamenting the fact that, if they have been doing a bunch of the extra content and going after all the unique monsters, the final boss is an underwhelming pushover because they're overlevelled. Keeping the top of the crystarium locked until you've beaten the final boss once is supposed to help prevent that. It also encourages you to do some postgame content because there's a new opportunity for progression. Like I said, not necessarily the best solution, but it's hardly a tutorial.

The final boss in FFXIII is also a gigantic pushover if everyone is max level and the crystarium not unlocked. He just becomes even more so when it's unlocked.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Cityinthesea posted:

Everything about the paradigms was so offensively over-the-top that I immediately lost all interest in the game. "Double Trouble-X" and "War and Peace", no thanks.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Papercut posted:

Everything about the paradigms was so offensively over-the-top that I immediately lost all interest in the game. "Double Trouble-X" and "War and Peace", no thanks.

There are many problems with XIII and XIII-2 (I didn't like 13 where I did actually really enjoy 13-2). That is seriously your problem? They have no impact on anything in the actual story or anything. It's literally just a name for the group of paradigms that you're currently using so you can more easily switch to them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Papercut posted:

This might actually be the stupidest reason I've ever heard for not liking something.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cityinthesea posted:

There are many problems with XIII and XIII-2 (I didn't like 13 where I did actually really enjoy 13-2). That is seriously your problem? They have no impact on anything in the actual story or anything. It's literally just a name for the group of paradigms that you're currently using so you can more easily switch to them.

The language acts like a weather vane and I don't like the way the wind is blowing.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
what way is it blowing, exactly? you just said they were "offensively over the top", you never explained what that actually meant.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

It's intentionally obtuse without being creative or interesting in any way, coming across as a pathetically desperate attempt to mask how stale everything about the series has become. It's like my dad just showed up with a jugend and skinny jeans.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Considering you can judge a game just by a couple of dumb phrases (this is like judging a game is bad because they have some annoying after battle catchphrases) I don't want to bother trying to argue with you, but you're wrong. 13-2 does some pretty interesting things with story (I liked the ending and opinion on that is split so eh), it's a lot darker than the series has been for a while, there are pretty cool side quests and alternate endings...

those phrases are not representative of the actual game, considering those were made for the original 13, and they weren't even representative of that game either.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Sakurazuka posted:

Persona 3+4 are literally harem anime dating-sim games with combat, the Shadow Hearts games contain wacky anime high-jinks, which is the lesser of the two in my opinion.

Okay, maybe they contain a lot of wacky anime high-jinks....

They're not literally harem anime dating-sim games with combat.

Also, what people refer to as "anime" is a content description first and foremost, so I'd bank on the game that contained this kind of content being more "anime" than the one that uses mechanics similar to games that contain a lot of that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I wanted to like 13, but the fal'cie before you open up the world pissed me off.

13-2 I absolutely hated. The combat was better-paced which was sweet, but they introduced the element that reduces your maximum HP with various attacks that enemies could do and bosses would abuse the gently caress out of it. It felt like the first 15 minutes of a boss fight was nothing more than filler to the last few minutes which is a race against if you can kill the fucker versus it wounding you enough to the point that even if you have a medic it wouldn't matter because the boss one-shots everyone.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If you spend 15 minutes on a boss battle in FF13(-2) you're doing something wrong, sorry to say.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Possibly, but after the third time of having a wounded-rush-to-the-finish I sent the game back to redbox.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

This might actually be the stupidest reason I've ever heard for not liking something.

No, he's right, there's a point where it's just embarrassing to be displaying certain things on your television, and final fantasy crossed that line ages ago. His example is just a microcosm of final fantasy being way up its own rear end.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Sakurazuka posted:

I stopped reading Left Behind when it introduced Rayford Steele as the protagonist. I regret it to this day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pw pw pw posted:

No, he's right, there's a point where it's just embarrassing to be displaying certain things on your television, and final fantasy crossed that line ages ago. His example is just a microcosm of final fantasy being way up its own rear end.

I just honestly don't get how people feel this way about specifically FF and not like 90% of video games. No level of silly names on a menu can match, say, the awkwardness of any loving time an Asari is onscreen in Mass Effect. v:shobon:v (That said, there's certainly things which I consider far beyond the norm, like say Star Ocean 4.)

Mind you, I thought FFXIII-2 was really not fun for other reasons so I don't think it's a big loss. It's boring as gently caress in a way that even FFXIII wasn't and the main cast is completely awful in every way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 8, 2012

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

flyboi posted:

13-2 I absolutely hated. The combat was better-paced which was sweet, but they introduced the element that reduces your maximum HP with various attacks that enemies could do and bosses would abuse the gently caress out of it. It felt like the first 15 minutes of a boss fight was nothing more than filler to the last few minutes which is a race against if you can kill the fucker versus it wounding you enough to the point that even if you have a medic it wouldn't matter because the boss one-shots everyone.

Wound potions are something like 300 gil or something. As mentioned, no boss fight should really be taking you 15 minutes, but even if one did, the wounding effect still wouldn't be an issue because wound potions are so inexpensive and effective.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
On the flip side, the people that do enjoy FF13/13-2 tend to get like a hundred some hours of each game.

Personally I get tired of them after 10 hours since their gameplay mechanics are at odds with itself. The combat is pretty to watch, but one can only do so much of that.

pw pw pw posted:

Really? How so? FF13 is pretty tame in comparison to most other series these days, as far as "too anime for my TV" or "too pretentious for my TV".

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 8, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nickoten posted:

They're not literally harem anime dating-sim games with combat.

Okay, they're literally harem anime dating-sim games with combat and you get to walk around and talk to people, instead of just selecting 'move' from a menu. Apart from Persona 3 Portable, anyway.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay, they're literally harem anime dating-sim games with combat and you get to walk around and talk to people, instead of just selecting 'move' from a menu. Apart from Persona 3 Portable, anyway.

That description is still incredibly stupid, you're just embarrassing yourself here.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nah, it's pretty spot on. I like Persona 3! It's a higher budgeted than normal dating sim/RPG. So what? Why argue against that? Does calling it what it is offend you?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of this?

Wendell posted:

Nah, it's pretty spot on. I like Persona 3! It's a higher budgeted than normal dating sim/RPG. So what? Why argue against that? Does calling it what it is offend you?

Because it's really a silly description considering large chunks of the game involve no dating at all and P4 (and I think P3PSP?) flat-out gives you the option to do all content without getting into romance options at all. It's like saying Alpha Protocol is a dating sim/RPG. It's an RPG with a lot of dialogue choice/character interaction and it's silly to boil it down to "hurr hurr, dating sim harem anime" when you've got plenty of other games which actually do fill the "date the anime girl" niche.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 8, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Adam Bowen posted:

That description is still incredibly stupid, you're just embarrassing yourself here.

I can make it even more stupid if you need any more help working out how serious I'm being about the whole thing.

Persona 4 is probably my second favourite RPG from the last few years, if it bothers you that much.

ImpAtom posted:

It's like saying Alpha Protocol is a dating sim/RPG.

Meh, depends on the dialogue choices I guess.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Because it's really a silly description considering large chunks of the game involve no dating at all and P4 (and I think P3PSP) flat-out gives you the option to do all content without getting into romance options at all. It's like saying Alpha Protocol is a dating sim/RPG.

Just because you aren't actually dating the other social links doesn't mean they aren't using the same template. I'm sorry you played a game that has dating sim tendencies, I hope you can recover.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Mass Effect - harem dating simulator. Homosexuals welcomed!

Wendell posted:

Just because you aren't actually dating the other social links doesn't mean they aren't using the same template. I'm sorry you played a game that has dating sim tendencies, I hope you can recover.
I think you might be missing the point slightly. Persona might have tendencies, but there are definitely games dedicated to being a harem dating simulator with a very lighthearted RPG aspect to it (they tend to be SRPGs). There's a bunch(for all sexual preferences), most don't come over.

Some do though - Agarest, Sakura Wars, etc.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 8, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Wendell posted:

I think you have to make a difference between a game where you can not date anyone and still have the game progress and something like an actual dating sim where not dating anyone results in a terrible ending.

Calling it a dating sim is probably kinda reductive. It does have dating sim elements, but...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mass Effect is Space Persona been saying it for years

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

I don't particularly care either way. I don't have the bizarre anime allergy that some people here seem to have. There's just something awfully depressing about people seeing a game where your character interacts with other characters and classifying it as a dating sim as if that is the only way someone can picture interacting with characters and all games where you interact with characters are inherently just about boning them.

On the other hand, Planescape: Torment is my favorite dating sim then.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 8, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Mass Effect is Space Persona been saying it for years

My favorite part is when Shepard shoots themself in the head to summon a Thresher Maw who was unlocked for S ranking the relationship with Wrex.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I don't particularly care either way. I don't have the bizarre anime allergy that some people here seem to have. There's just something awfully depressing about people seeing a game where your character interacts with other characters and classifying it as a dating sim as if that is the only way someone can picture interacting with characters and all games where you interact with characters are inherently just about boning them.

But it's only depressing because you associate the term "dating sim" with "bad game, probably creepy." And most are! But Persona uses dating sim elements in the creation of a good game. It's not depressing to say that a sidescroller is a sidescroller, so it shouldn't be depressing to use other similar genre descriptors.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Meh, Baldur's Gate 2 is the better harem simulator. You can get a girl pregnant, replace a girl's dead husband, or convince a dark elf that its your duty to protect her booty.

And since the game was made by westerners, the main character apparently can't romance their own god-sister!

The only thing getting in the way is the fact I have to actually do combat from time to time, ugh.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

My favorite part is when Shepard shoots themself in the head to summon a Thresher Maw who was unlocked for S ranking the relationship with Wrex.
You literally unlock skills in Mass Effect for maxing S links like you would unlock a persona.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can we agree to the term 'friend-making sim'?

I would play Mass Persona Effect in a second.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

ImpAtom posted:

I played this game due to curiosity from the LP thread. The game is an experience. The combat is alright, but the writing was done by the loneliest anime nerd in Japan. There are no words to describe playing this game with English voice acting, just one of those things your brain will refuse to think about.

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 8, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

But it's only depressing because you associate the term "dating sim" with "bad game, probably creepy." And most are! But Persona uses dating sim elements in the creation of a good game. It's not depressing to say that a sidescroller is a sidescroller, so it shouldn't be depressing to use other similar genre descriptors.

Except "dating sim" has a pretty specific meaning. Which is, y'know, dating simulation. It just feels weird to me to use interchangeably with "any game where you interact with party members or important NPCs, even if no romance is available."

Lazy Programming posted:

I played this game due to curiosity from the LP thread. The game is an experience. The combat is alright, but the writing was done by the loneliest anime nerd in Japan. There are no words to describe playing this game with English voice acting, just one of those things your brain will refuse to think about.

Oh no. Not while Ar Tonelico exists.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Paperhouse posted:

so, I just got a DS and would be much obliged if some of you kind people could recommend some of the best RPGs for it. I've already heard good things about Radiant Historia and the DQ games (though I don't know which to play first???) but after that I'm fairly in the dark.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I hate their opinions. Radiant Historia is a fantastic game and you should play it. Excellent story, great gameplay mechanic and it'll keep you busy. Unless you're a sperglord who has to overlevel yourself in every RPG you play (like 2/3rds of the Internet) you'll find it challenging at times too.

Dragon Quest V is also a must play.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Lone Rogue posted:

Dragon Quest V is also a must play.

I played DQ 9 and hated it. This was also my first experience with the series. Worth picking up 5? I'm a big fan of dungeon crawls (EO, SJ,anything SMT really).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pierce posted:

I played DQ 9 and hated it. This was also my first experience with the series. Worth picking up 5? I'm a big fan of dungeon crawls (EO, SJ,anything SMT really).

5 is a lot more story-oriented but it would depend on why you hated 9.