Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

YouSpoonyBard posted:

Durkon also probably thought that Hold Person against Thog would be a good idea because he probably has a horrible will save.

Not only that, it worked perfectly the last time he tried it on Thog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So Tarquin's weakness is that he doesn't realize his son is comic relief?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

He's probably figuring that out pretty fast now. I wonder if he's going to drop his disguise to bitch Elan out for not actually being the group leader? Not right this second, but I can see the OOTS running a fighting retreat into the depths of the pyramid, and each time they clash Tarquin sees a couple more hints that hey, Elan isn't actually in charge of anything here.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Of course the whole dynamic with Nale as the more aspiring son, and Malack wanting to avenge his spawns, will make all of that all too exciting...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nenonen posted:

Of course the whole dynamic with Nale as the more aspiring son, and Malack wanting to avenge his spawns, will make all of that all too exciting...

Given that Malack is buddy-buddy with Durkon and hates Nale, I think the odds of a heel-face-turn are riding at about 85%.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

To be totally fair to Elan, though, his tactic worked splendidly.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just assumed tarquin had some imaginary feat that made him a much more effective fighter in the event he's alone fighting a party of heroes, which is why he went down to fight them by himself.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He could also be higher level than they are. He must have dozens of heroes who consider him their nemesis out there questing and gathering xp all funneling into him for free.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

OriginalPseudonym posted:

He's probably figuring that out pretty fast now. I wonder if he's going to drop his disguise to bitch Elan out for not actually being the group leader? Not right this second, but I can see the OOTS running a fighting retreat into the depths of the pyramid, and each time they clash Tarquin sees a couple more hints that hey, Elan isn't actually in charge of anything here.

I think he's a pretty bright guy; Tarquin probably realized Elan was moderately useless while they were hanging out together for a few days. Doesn't mean he didn't expect a Suggestion or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Verr posted:

I think he's a pretty bright guy; Tarquin probably realized Elan was moderately useless while they were hanging out together for a few days. Doesn't mean he didn't expect a Suggestion or something.
I mean, Elan's proven that he's actually competent in combat, since he's gotten that one level of Dashing Swordsman.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Colon V posted:

I mean, Elan's proven that he's actually competent in combat, since he's gotten that one level of Dashing Swordsman.

But the team has only fought together as a team since he got the Dashing Swordsman level a couple of times, first when they were on the wall at Azure City, and then when they took on the Thri-kreen. And in both those cases they all split up pretty quickly.

This is the first time they've really fought as a coherent unit, what, since they lost to Miko? And hell, since V's MIA, I guess they still haven't.

Since it's been so long, then, it kind of makes sense for Elan to fall back into the role he normally took in the old days, that of musical and magical support, rather than as a front-line fighter.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I think this is spot on. Tarquin is playing the long game, and he expects the heroes to follow certain tropes. Elan is really the only person who stands a chance of throwing him off his game, not because of his genre awareness, but how consistently he manages to subvert them.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I'm wondering if Elan's plan for defeating his father is to simply make their epic duel as anti-climatic as possible. Tarquin wants to become a legend more than anything else, so the way to defeat him isn't to kick his rear end, it's to make his story boring or lame.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Whoa I did not expect getting my magnet so soon. It's pretty keen.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Poil posted:

He could also be higher level than they are. He must have dozens of heroes who consider him their nemesis out there questing and gathering xp all funneling into him for free.

I'm pretty sure Tarquin is a PC, and thus doesn't benefit from the personal nemesis thing.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Wait, there's a mechanic by which if you have a "personal nemesis" then they also benefit from whatever experience you gain?

Okay, I get that plenty of fiction seems to work that way in practice, but...

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Triple Elation posted:

Wait, there's a mechanic by which if you have a "personal nemesis" then they also benefit from whatever experience you gain?

Okay, I get that plenty of fiction seems to work that way in practice, but...

The joke being that if you play a campaign you usually get a nemesis who's level is always in a range that will be a challenge for you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's a strip where Crystal, Haley's rival, is sitting around with the other Thieves' Guild members.

*DING*
Crystal: "Sweet! Starshine gained another level!"
Thief: "Aw, man, I wish I had a nemesis!"

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Another Kickstarter update from Rich. The coloring books are done! The notebooks are...anti-done. He's drawing as many variants for PC classes as he is monsters! And he's had to leave angry messages over voice mail. He hopes to get an update out today.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I hope Rich is ok

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope he's in a diabetic coma and is found just in time, but can't update for months.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fried Chicken posted:

I hope Rich is ok
Y'know, people make jokes, but the success rate on that is astounding.

(New strip, yo)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He did say he was going to have a new comic out today earlier on.

edit: Brilliant strip, too.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 8, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Roy is why you don't dump Int.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Heh, that's pretty cool. Dude is like Batman, yo.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well that got a big stupid laugh out of me.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Pope Guilty posted:

For all the good it did him in that particular instance.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Roy is the reason you choose wizard/sorcerer/cleric over anything else herf derf I've min maxed 3.5 to where it isn't fun anymore and every time a member of the OOtS makes a non optimal choice I rage and write sixty paragraphs describing why the choice was bad what a properly min/maxed character would have done and why Burlow should just get back to system humor instead of trying to tell us this improbably epic fantasy.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Gonna buy that mask.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is like the last episode of The Prisoner.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So either he's a big fan of Batman, or else Santos, the Silver-masked Wrestler. Both of 'em did the 'mask under their mask' trick.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Speedball posted:

So either he's a big fan of Batman, or else Santos, the Silver-masked Wrestler. Both of 'em did the 'mask under their mask' trick.

:kakashi: does the same thing.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Speedball posted:

Or the Daring Dragoon...

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Speedball posted:

It's a loving joke. Nobody invented "wearing clothes under clothes."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cabbit posted:

For all the good it did him in that particular instance.

Eh, even being able to spot that it's not Thog is generally tactically advantageous. They can stop styling their attacks for him.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pope Guilty posted:

I was really psyched when Roy explained why that wasn't Thog. I've always had a soft spot for fighters who have some Int. (I'm still bitter that my friend with the dumb-strong fighter used to get 10% bonus experience. :argh:)

prefect fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 8, 2012

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Nilbop posted:

It's a loving joke. Nobody invented "wearing clothes under clothes."

Underwear doesn't have an inventor?!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

terminal mehmet posted:

Underwear doesn't have an inventor?!

Probably not, it predates written history. People just said "it's cold, I'm putting on more furs".

unless you're talking about modern underwear, invented by Rutherford B. Haynes

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

prefect posted:

(I'm still bitter that my friend with the dumb-strong figher used to get 10% bonus experience. :argh:)
Why would he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
2nd edition ADnD you got bonus experience if your class base stat was high. It's as dumb as it sounds.