Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Eagerly awaiting a mod that replaces the Horatios with Arnold J. Rimmers.
Oh poo poo, this would be amazing.

Great write up Chomp, but the inner sperg within me cannot help but notice that you block capitalized Hissho and that Horatio is in Comic Sans MS.

I'm also really interested to see what the other factions will be as the designs on these are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ZypherIM posted:

Horatio can clone heros, so once you have a higher level hero you can make as many copies as you have slots, which is handy when you expand the cap of heros you can have. I have no clue what fatigue recovery is, but they get +50% to that!

I'm pretty sure "fatigue recovery" means you don't have to wait as long to reassign heroes - so for instance, if you have just one ultra-battlemaster, you can jump him to lead a system defense fleet in a threatened sector, and then zip him on over to lead your spearhead assault fleets and then back again as needed. Or, alternatively, you can have your administrative heroes constantly hopping around your new colonies to bring them all up to speed. So between that and cloning, it looks like the main Horatio strength is heroes - the ability to get exactly the heroes you want at high levels where you want them when you need them.

Also, the faction writeup is nice, but I think you're missing something - if you hover over the top attribute, "So-and-so Affinity", it'll show another set of traits. The most notable one I can think of is the United Earth affinity, which adds a production bonus the higher your taxes are, I think doubling it when you tax at 100%.

Hypothetically, this ability would be most useful in wartime - go from a low-tax peacetime research footing to a high-tax productive machine to nigh-instantaneously spawn warfleets while fully modernizing your old fleet and buying out all the little things you've been content to keep on the backburner until now besides.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gibbed posted:

If your game options (resolution, etc) are not saving, it's probably because you have characters in your Steam profile name that are not valid for a directory names.

For some reason it uses your Steam profile name instead of your steam ID. :ohdear:

Doesn't seem to be the case, though- it seems to be using my gmail, which kind of looks like 'fake.name' (without the quotes). Would that be why I can't turn off economic victory?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

"Waltz"won't let me save option changes. Is resolution fixed for alpha?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I just bought this game because I like 4X (although I tend to suck at it) and :france:

Are there any generic tips? For instance I'm not sure how to optimize research (I find the tech tree a bit confusing and doesn't really give a good overview or long term goal view), or what constitutes a "good planet." Also, do you add the Exploitation optimal for the type of planet you're on, or do you add whatever the planet (or system) lacks?

For the resolution bug, you need to edit the "Registry.xml" file under your default Documents directory (should be C:\Users\<your login>\Documents\Endless Space\Users\<your steam nickname> in Windows 7) and change the value betweeen <Resolution>, ie:

<Resolution>1680x1050</Resolution>

Some people say you then have to set that file to read-only but I didn't have to. If you pick an unsupported or non-valid resolution the game will default back to 1024x768@59Hz.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
When a luxury resource says +40 approval on planet, does that apply to just the planet it's on, or does it apply to every other planet that's not blockaded?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

^^^
Pretty sure that only "Empire-wide bonuses" apply to other planets, the other bonuses are strictly local.

Furism posted:

I just bought this game because I like 4X (although I tend to suck at it) and :france:

Are there any generic tips? For instance I'm not sure how to optimize research (I find the tech tree a bit confusing and doesn't really give a good overview or long term goal view), or what constitutes a "good planet." Also, do you add the Exploitation optimal for the type of planet you're on, or do you add whatever the planet (or system) lacks?

Research doesn't need that much "optimizing" as such, I find - generally speaking it's best just to shoot at what you need in the next few turns, making sure to spend some time hoovering up neglected techs later. For instance, shooting at arid colonization if you've found a good system with them to settle, or aiming for production techs if you've been frustrated by the slow pace of production, etc. Other than that, I'd generally argue that you should send out colonizers in waves of 2 starter military ships to each colony ship, in order to protect the colony against pirates, and that you should initially focus on food production when settling new colonies, in order to fuel growth.

As for exploitations, it depends on the situation - don't forget, however, that you can change exploitations at will, so you can for instance choose a farming exploitation on an arid planet to begin with, switching over to, say, a dust exploitation later when the system's filled up. In general, though, if you don't have any pressing needs at the moment it's probably best to exploit to type.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Am I losing out on anything by not building dreadnoughts? In the game I just finished they took 4 turns to build, compared to battleships that I could spit out one a turn, and 3 of my battleships would gently caress up enemy dreadnoughts.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I cant see the point of dreads either. I use cruisers or battlehips depending on what modules I want to use, but because dreads have no module bonus they will never do anything 2 cruisers or 2 battleships cant do better. I suppose they are slightly more resistant to being alpha striked by missiles but if thats a concern you're loosing badly anyway.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

All done! Here is my initial offering of the factions breakdown. I'll write a little more in depth about them later, and add the remaining 3 factions when they are revealed.

Stealing this for the OP.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Furism posted:

For the resolution bug, you need to edit the "Registry.xml" file under your default Documents directory (should be C:\Users\<your login>\Documents\Endless Space\Users\<your steam nickname> in Windows 7) and change the value betweeen <Resolution>, ie:

<Resolution>1680x1050</Resolution>

Some people say you then have to set that file to read-only but I didn't have to. If you pick an unsupported or non-valid resolution the game will default back to 1024x768@59Hz.

I'd really recommend going for the basic food technologies and industrial technologies first thing. Hyper farms and sustainable farming lets you get a system up and running in no time, and the system bonus of +10 production that you get from uh, hyper-fusion reactors or something (it's like the second tech on the right hand tech tree) is really good for getting colonies going. Other than that you can't really go wrong with what you research provided you keep colonising planets.

Good planets are probably terran, arid, desert and tundra early game, simply because they don't need much tech requirements and are all fairly forgiving about what you need to build on them. Late game everything is good, particularly lava planets and gas giants because they have such absurdly good bonuses on them. A system which has like 3 medium or large lava planets can probably out-produce any other planet comp I think, if you have a lot of production techs.

edit: and jungle! jungle are really good, always get them.

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 8, 2012

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

ArchangeI posted:

Stealing this for the OP.

You might want to add a a little FAQ to the OP also.

Questions I've noticed being asked every few pages:

- How to add the academy roster space to accommodate more heroes?
- How to turn off economic victory (apparently doesn't really work)?
- What's the deal with the orange (faction-specific) techs?
- How to travel outside the space lines? (I guess this really isn't asked often, but it's good to know it's possible.)

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I've been tooling around with the Cravers cause.. I dunno? I love their ship look though, and the idea of being Space Locusts is pretty rad. I just needed to pop in here and say that their cruiser that gets -20% defense module weight is the best thing ever. I just load it up with 5 of each + 5 more of whatever the enemy is using and they are unstoppable. Sure I'm a little undergunned with that much weight dedicated to defenses, but I can still pack on like 5 kinetics + 5 missiles. Too much fun rolling around with a fleet of 7 of those + 1 of my beefed up repair destroyers. I've yet to lose an engagement with them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Flipswitch posted:

Great write up Chomp, but the inner sperg within me cannot help but notice that you block capitalized Hissho and that Horatio is in Comic Sans MS.

Ha, the I didn't realized I'd all-capped "HISSHO". The Horatio Comic Sans however, was entirely intentional.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TangentEnigma posted:

What difficulty are you playing at where this works? Taking over a huge number of unhappy unimproved systems and having no way to upgrade them seems like it would lead to disaster toward the middle and late game.
All default settings with Cravers.

By turn 50 I had an 800 point fleet. By turn 60 I had two of them and was conquering the Hissho capital. Turn 70 there were four. Turn 85 I turned off production and switched to Ind->Dust to start saving to retrofit the now 7 fleet armada which was proving more than adequate.
Turn 86 the Hissho were exterminated. No casualties. Turn 89 it bugged out and wouldn't let the game progress in any way even after reloads.

I'd absolutely murdered the Hissho, encountered the United Empire and crushed their 4 ship fleet without a single casualty and I didn't even research the 1 turn 'gimmes' left at the start of the tech tree. Barring a significant hurdle like an isolated galaxy wing the war machine would just kept on tumbling leaving depleted worlds retooled to finance and research while my Labour/Cheerleader Hero followed the back lines to move into newly conquered worlds to soothe their worries while drilling into the heart of the planet for new ships of war.

I haven't gotten to the "late game" because of end-turn bugs or crashes, but in the several games I've run this strategy I don't see it ever stopping. Yes, your worlds are worse - but their fleets are worse and when your fleets are just straight out better their worlds are yours - and the later in the game it is, the better the improvements they come with.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Has anyone tried this on an eyefinity setup? I'm curious to know if it plays well on three screens.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ragingsheep posted:

How do I exploit the Empire's production bonuses that you get from a high tax rate? What's the best way to keep happiness up so my research doesn't grind to a halt due to oppressive taxation?

Happiness is mainly hurt by two things, taxes and unpleasant planets. If you click on a planet and then hover the mouse over the planet type on the left-hand menu (like "lava" for example), you will see that things like lava, desert, and barren planets give you negative happiness in that system. Certain planetary anomalies like acid rain hurt happiness too.

Now if you look very early in the left-hand side of the tech tree, you'll see a tech named "Botanical Scanning", which lets you build the Infinite Supermarkets system improvement for +25 happiness. A bit later on down the tech tree you'll find the Colony Rights improvement, which adds +30 more happiness. A bit later on you'll find more such techs. The key to keeping happiness up is to research these techs right after you research the techs that let you colonize unpleasant worlds, so once you colonize them you can instantly wipe out the happiness penalties. The system improvements are much stronger than you need just to cancel out the unhappiness from bad planets, so as you build them your happiness will get net positives, so you can keep bumping the tax rates higher and higher. Eventually you'll be making so much money that you'll be able to just buy the happiness improvements on new systems, and colonize everything immediately.

Edit: Another key tech is "Soil Revivification" from the bottom tree. It lets you terraform away those negative planet anomalies, most of which inflict happiness penalties.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 8, 2012

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The happiness improvements are a required tech for the Empire, because it lets them get their tax rate up to leverage their industry boost trait. It gets crazy in the mid to late game, you just poo poo out fleets at will.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 8, 2012

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Ha, the I didn't realized I'd all-capped "HISSHO". The Horatio Comic Sans however, was entirely intentional.
You fucker. :argh: (The write up is great though mate, nicely done.)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

wiegieman posted:

The happiness improvements are a required tech for the Empire, because it lets them get their tax rate up to leverage their industry boost trait. It gets crazy in the mid to late game, you just poo poo out fleets at will.

It's kinda funny how the best strategy the "evil, uncaring empire" has involves striking out as fast as it can towards colonial rights and the establishment of a society in which work is entirely optional.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

USMC_Karl posted:

I've been tooling around with the Cravers cause.. I dunno? I love their ship look though, and the idea of being Space Locusts is pretty rad. I just needed to pop in here and say that their cruiser that gets -20% defense module weight is the best thing ever. I just load it up with 5 of each + 5 more of whatever the enemy is using and they are unstoppable. Sure I'm a little undergunned with that much weight dedicated to defenses, but I can still pack on like 5 kinetics + 5 missiles. Too much fun rolling around with a fleet of 7 of those + 1 of my beefed up repair destroyers. I've yet to lose an engagement with them.

They get a goddamn +2 Fleet size with an additional +2 per unlocked chassis research - just for that alone Cravers are worth playing.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

Am I losing out on anything by not building dreadnoughts? In the game I just finished they took 4 turns to build, compared to battleships that I could spit out one a turn, and 3 of my battleships would gently caress up enemy dreadnoughts.

Stacking support modules and defensive modules with a decent weapon grouping, I've found. Being able to throw on 3 shields/flak/armor, an engine, a regen module, invasion module, AND 5x/5x/5x batteries of your highest tier weapons makes it pretty unstoppable. Obviously if you can produce smaller ships more efficiently, you should, but a dreadnought is meant to be a flagship, clearly. That's also why a dreadnought's role is listed as "multiple".

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 8, 2012

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

a shameful boehner posted:

Stacking support modules and defensive modules with a decent weapon grouping, I've found. Being able to throw on 3 shields/flak/armor, an engine, a regen module, invasion module, AND 5x/5x/5x batteries of your highest tier weapons makes it pretty unstoppable. Obviously if you can produce smaller ships more efficiently, you should, but a dreadnought is meant to be a flagship, clearly. That's also why a dreadnought's role is listed as "multiple".

I've tended to specialize mine - I have assault dreads with support battleships. That way I can farm out the engine w/ fleet effects, a regen module, an invasion module, a scanner, and defenses to 1 support ship. The assault dread will just stack weapons & tank. I find that with the right cards, the amount of damage I take is laughable, especially when I have a hero in the fleet, and the amount of carnage is hilarious.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Dreadnoughts also benefit the most from the +% module space techs, as they have the highest base module space to multiply.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is the soundtrack available anywhere? Each time I start up the game I feel so chilled out. :)

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Tomn posted:

It's kinda funny how the best strategy the "evil, uncaring empire" has involves striking out as fast as it can towards colonial rights and the establishment of a society in which work is entirely optional.
Yeah, this makes having alignments rather strange in a game like this. Although I guess they copied the concept from Galciv 2, so they might have gameplay affecting stuff planned for it.

DatonKallandor posted:

They get a goddamn +2 Fleet size with an additional +2 per unlocked chassis research - just for that alone Cravers are worth playing.
Everyone gets the +2 cap per unlocked chassis though, it's the +2 for all unlocked chassis' that's unique to them, so they end up with +4 extra cap in the end. Still rather significant, but not quite as. :)

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

FrickenMoron posted:

Is the soundtrack available anywhere? Each time I start up the game I feel so chilled out. :)

I'm pretty sure that the pre-order includes a copy of the soundtrack on release. If you are looking to get the soundtrack right now, before release? Not that I've seen.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I think cravers have +6 by the end, not sure. I thought they had a unique tech to give +4 and another unique to get the +2 once all chassis are unlocked. I maxed at 26 in any case, not sure what the other races' maxes are.

My understanding of dreadnoughts is that they provide you more tonnage per command point to do whatever you want with. If I recall, mousing over the dreads (and battleships, I think?) reveals no special tonnage bonus for any module type, unlike cruisers and destroyers which lend themselves to a specific role based on their bonuses.

I've personally not seen any purpose to mixing in smaller ships though. They seem to just die every time whereas by the end my dreadnought death fleets could pretty much emerge from combat with 0 losses and very little HP damage.

Edit: what is the soundtrack, like 6 songs?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Dreadnoughts also have a higher base HP. With enough investment into the applied sciences tree, the base dreadnought I've been able to build had 400T of space to work with. Before adding any other expansion options. That's a lot of modules.

It also comes down to design and race gameplay philosophy as well, I suppose - as Sophon building dreads made sense as I could cram megaships full of the best tech in my civilization, whereas a species like UE or Hissho might be better served creating ships that maximize their ability to bring firepower to bear on battleships and destroyers chassis.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 8, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I think cravers have +6 by the end, not sure. I thought they had a unique tech to give +4 and another unique to get the +2 once all chassis are unlocked. I maxed at 26 in any case, not sure what the other races' maxes are.

My understanding of dreadnoughts is that they provide you more tonnage per command point to do whatever you want with. If I recall, mousing over the dreads (and battleships, I think?) reveals no special tonnage bonus for any module type, unlike cruisers and destroyers which lend themselves to a specific role based on their bonuses.

I've personally not seen any purpose to mixing in smaller ships though. They seem to just die every time whereas by the end my dreadnought death fleets could pretty much emerge from combat with 0 losses and very little HP damage.

Edit: what is the soundtrack, like 6 songs?

Depending on how powerful your fleets are relative to your enemies', chaff ships do a good job at absorbing hits; the AI seems to prioritize smaller ships to bigger ones. If you've got money to burn, plonk down a few ablative ships to take the hits for your Dread.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I like dreads as the Sophons since I can use my tech advantage by having a "one size fits all" ship that has all classes of defenses and at least two classes of weapons, as opposed to my battleships where I need at least three classes each focused on a different arrangement to be ready to counter my enemy's designs.

UE would definitely be better off with specialized battleships, though, since they can just retrofit as necessary.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
The other strategic upside of stacking your largest ship size is that it's harder to whittle down your fleets by attrition.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm still trying to work out what the best setup for a combat ship is. Should I just stack all three defenses equally? If I do that, my enemy might only bring one weapon type and will overwhelm that defense easily. Do I concentrate my weapons or spread them out?

At the minute it just seems like pot luck whether you run into enemies you're prepared to fight or ones you're not.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

I tend to have two different weapon types on my ships. Energy weapons by themselves often leave enemies with a sliver of health in my experience, so kinetic weapons' high ROF makes them a nice complement. At the same time, missiles are quite often overkill on anything but the largest ships, so having something that can finish off weaker ships during a round comes quite in handy here.

As for defenses, I think it depends on your race, really. The Empire can refit their ships on the fly thanks to their cashflow, so you can just adjust their defenses based on what the enemy is fielding. Cravers on the other hand have enough space to equip lots of defenses anyway, so you can sort of brute force it. Not sure about the other races yet, as I haven't played them yet.

Sleenmaster
Jul 15, 2003

Like all girls I love unicorns!
UI questions:
*How do you upgrade/refit ships?
*How do you clone leaders?

Does anyone have any clue how the combat math works in this game? The mechanics of defenses is especially opaque.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gort posted:

I'm still trying to work out what the best setup for a combat ship is. Should I just stack all three defenses equally? If I do that, my enemy might only bring one weapon type and will overwhelm that defense easily. Do I concentrate my weapons or spread them out?

At the minute it just seems like pot luck whether you run into enemies you're prepared to fight or ones you're not.

Send in some chaff ships, and mouse over enemy ships while the 'choose combat mode' window is open; you can usually see what armaments they have. Mind you, this might only be a good strategy for the Empire.

Second method is to make specialized ships, and send mixtures into battle, maybe?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You can also ignore defenses and go with a health tank - get as much pure hitpoints and hitpoint regen as you can. Has the sideeffect of also making the nano-repair bots (or whatever the starting card is called) incredibly effective. Of course if the enemy figures that out they can just counter your card.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Does anybody know if there's a subterfuge system in place? One of the system upgrades says it gives +1 to system spying and +10% to system scanners. I can guess that the system scanners upgrade just increases the visible radius around the colony. What the hell is system spying though?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Couple of newbie questions:
-I always had trouble to keep the military/expansion spending ratio in check in MoO2, how important is an early military really?
-Is it just me or do heroes make expansion way too easy/quickly?
-Is overexpansion a real problem or should I nab what I can?
-I think I made all battles automatic, any way to turn that back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Petitioning the thread title be renamed, "Endless Space: My God, its full of Horatios!"

• Locked thread