Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pierce posted:

I played DQ 9 and hated it. This was also my first experience with the series. Worth picking up 5? I'm a big fan of dungeon crawls (EO, SJ,anything SMT really).

Depends: what did you hate about 9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Morpheus posted:

Depends: what did you hate about 9?

The difficulty was extremely low. I moved beyond the story as I understood the game to be more focused on multiplayer.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Pierce posted:

The difficulty was extremely low. I moved beyond the story as I understood the game to be more focused on multiplayer.

Low difficulty is not a problem with most DQ games, actually they usually get poo poo on for not holding the player's hand enough. DQ 9 is probably my least favorite of the series, but I think it's still a pretty good game and I can't really agree with you that the difficulty is extremely low, it starts off pretty gentle but by the end it's pretty respectably difficult. The game was definitely not focused on multiplayer either, I'm not sure where you got that impression but the multiplayer features seemed pretty tacked-on to me.

Play DQ5, that's always the correct answer.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Adam Bowen posted:

Low difficulty is not a problem with most DQ games, actually they usually get poo poo on for not holding the player's hand enough. DQ 9 is probably my least favorite of the series, but I think it's still a pretty good game and I can't really agree with you that the difficulty is extremely low, it starts off pretty gentle but by the end it's pretty respectably difficult. The game was definitely not focused on multiplayer either, I'm not sure where you got that impression but the multiplayer features seemed pretty tacked-on to me.

Play DQ5, that's always the correct answer.

Thanks, I'll give 5 a shot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh no. Not while Ar Tonelico exists.
Ar Tonelico is awesome and hilarious, though. Sakura Wars is just sad.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cardiovorax posted:

Ar Tonelico is awesome and hilarious, though. Sakura Wars is just sad.

You didn't play Ar Tonelico 3, did you?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
9 is probably the easiest of the DQs that I have ever played.

5's difficulty largely depends on which version you are playing. I remember the SNES version as fairly challenging, but the PS2 remake as a complete cake walk.

I have not played any of the mobile versions so I don't know where they fall.

The Black Stones posted:

I only played 1 and half of 2. I mostly played these games for the music but started opting for the soundtracks themselves since the gameplay seem to mostly recycle itself. I hear 3 was a fairly decent departure (was it the action oriented one? Not sure).

Did they hit new creepy heights in 3? I thought the "power up by bathing together!" gimmick in 2 was pretty up there in weirdest things I've seen.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 8, 2012

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Rascyc posted:

9 is probably the easiest of the DQs that I have ever played.

Glad to hear that. I ended up reducing my party to my MC at one point and it just made the battles longer, not harder.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I just honestly don't get how people feel this way about specifically FF and not like 90% of video games. No level of silly names on a menu can match, say, the awkwardness of any loving time an Asari is onscreen in Mass Effect. v:shobon:v (That said, there's certainly things which I consider far beyond the norm, like say Star Ocean 4.)

Mind you, I thought FFXIII-2 was really not fun for other reasons so I don't think it's a big loss. It's boring as gently caress in a way that even FFXIII wasn't and the main cast is completely awful in every way.

See, though, Mass Effect is another PERFECT example of a series that crawled up its own rear end. It's rife with creepy fanservice and camel-toe-having robots.

FF13 is guilty more for making up a bunch of really dumb poo poo, and expecting you to take it seriously. Like the whole fal'cie thing.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 8, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Rascyc posted:

I only played 1 and half of 2. I mostly played these games for the music but started opting for the soundtracks themselves since the gameplay seem to mostly recycle itself. I hear 3 was a fairly decent departure (was it the action oriented one? Not sure).

Did they hit new creepy heights in 3? I thought the "power up by bathing together!" gimmick in 2 was pretty up there in weirdest things I've seen.

Oh it was a departure alright, but not a good one. They tried to copy the battle system from Tales and failed miserably at it.

And yeah, 3 is definitely the most creepy out of the three.

For the rest of the series, in my opinion, 1 is alright and 2 is legitimately awesome except for one part in chapter 3 or 4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pw pw pw posted:

FF13 is guilty more for making up a bunch of really dumb poo poo, and expecting you to take it seriously. Like the whole fal'cie thing.

I honestly don't get this. FF13 was badly executed but what the hell did you expect? That they make up a fantasy world where you're expected to laugh at everything? "A world where god-machines rules everything and impose geas on humanity to make them serve and obey" isn't particularly a bad concept, it was just badly executed. The exact same concept better executed would be a pretty interesting story.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 8, 2012

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rascyc posted:

The battle system is pretty much tales light and pretty simple, the plot/characters aren't all bad. However, they upped the creepy factor by a billionfold by making it that the more your magic using girls strip, the more powerful they are, so when you're fighting, if you get them down to their underwear, they're SUPER POWERFUL.

Don't even get me started on how creepy the cosmosphere was and how it was pretty much pointed straight out that one girl wanted to be dominated and probably had a piss fetish.

Yeah. I have brain damage from playing that game. I know.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly don't get this. FF13 was badly executed but what the hell did you expect? That they make up a fantasy world where you're expected to laugh at everything? "A world where god-machines rules everything and impose geas on humanity to make them serve and obey" isn't particularly a bad concept, it was just badly executed. The exact same concept better executed would be a pretty interesting story.

But what can 'badly executed' even mean, if not 'they just handled the whole thing extremely poorly'. Y'know? Badly executed means they just did it wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pw pw pw posted:

But what can 'badly executed' even mean, if not 'they just handled the whole thing extremely poorly'. Y'know? Badly executed means they just did it wrong.

It means that the execution, not the concept, was the problem. The concept of fal'cie is not inherently "really dumb poo poo." Yeah, you can slipper slope that into "there's no such thing as a bad idea!!" but there's certainly a difference between an idea that is relatively easy to execute well and be taken seriously and one that isn't.

It's a testament to FFXIII's flaws that it managed to do a bad job of what should and could have been a really interesting story. Pretty much all of the baselines for a good story are there. The problem is that the execution is complete balls and it throws away the good ideas it set up.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ookay, then I guess we... agree with each other?

I think most FF games would be a lot better if they were rewritten 3-5 times. Or just loving edited.

edit: anyway, I'll shut up now.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 8, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Naw that's basically the jist of it. It's probably what makes people so mad because there seems to be a possibly good story there but the game makes it so very hard to actually enjoy it because of all the stupidity that gets in the way.

If you ever talk to someone who can actually get through all the stupidity and get to the story, they usually have a crazy amount to say and it will sound like a good game (unless you have already played it, then you run into the "they expect you to take this seriously?" perspective in my opinion).

I mean Squarenix hasn't been focus testing their games - I think that's what their post-op FF13 interview stated. I think 13-2 was supposed to be their first one and while they did improve some of the gameplay, the story was just as abyssmal as always (mostly because Serah and Noel would never shut the hell up).

The common element to all these complaints are basically the characters though, not the central concept. The concept is delivered poorly as a result of the characters. Bad execution, etc. I mean you have this god-machine plot angle going on that seems like it's cool, but how can you take a game seriously when every single character is suffering a coming of age story and drawing spotlight. Also mixing children with people trying to act adults while suffering a coming of age story was probably a bad idea from the start.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 8, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Your god-machine plot angle also needs to be explained within context to the viewer, not just read off of an in-game encyclopaedia. That's one habit RPGs both western and eastern Bioware and Square really need to lay off a little.

I will give FF13-2 praise for properly giving the player some freedom in how they move around the game, and for making the FF13 battle system a notch or two harder - I remember going straight through FF13 in a shot, while 2 stomped me down when I got overconfident a couple of times. But the plot and the characters were seriously awful.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Stelas posted:

I will give FF13-2 praise for properly giving the player some freedom in how they move around the game, and for making the FF13 battle system a notch or two harder - I remember going straight through FF13 in a shot, while 2 stomped me down when I got overconfident a couple of times. But the plot and the characters were seriously awful.

Except for Hope. Hope turned into CAPTAIN SCIENCE and it was awesome.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Coughing Hobo posted:

Except for Hope. Hope turned into CAPTAIN SCIENCE and it was awesome.

Seriously, how did Hope end up becoming the best character in FFXIII-2? It was like jumping into bizarro world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

The exact opposite is true for me. FFXIII took a while to get going but at least theoretically you could do Hunts for a challenge. FFXIII-2 just gets easier and easier as you get more and more comically overpowered. It's part of the reason I liked it less than XIII. It gives you more to do but all the more-to-do involves is being so powerful you don't even need to try when your crazy-powerful team crushes everything and everything just because you did a sidequest early on.

The plot is awful though.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Stelas posted:

Your god-machine plot angle also needs to be explained within context to the viewer, not just read off of an in-game encyclopaedia. That's one habit RPGs both western and eastern Bioware and Square really need to lay off a little.

There's a lot to dislike about FFXIII but I don't really get this complaint. It's pretty obvious from context that Fal'Cie are basically gods by the time the game expects you to have any idea what's going on and they actively exposit at you about what l'Cie are. Everything else that doesn't make sense actually doesn't make sense regardless of how much extra text you have or haven't read.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

wateyad posted:

There's a lot to dislike about FFXIII but I don't really get this complaint.

Fal'Cie and l'Cie aside, I remember most of FF13's general Cocoon/Pulse worldbuilding being done solidly through text in the encyclopedia, since it wasn't like there were any NPCs to talk to at length, and I'm pretty sure there's one or two Fal'Cie things that just made very little sense until you went and looked them up. It felt like show-don't-tell writ really large.

FF13-2 felt better because it was presented in terms of the game world - less neutral 'this happened' text, and more flavour - but then some bits started relying on you reading it to explain what Snow or Hope were up to, and I'm pretty sure other bits could spoil you ahead of time, and just ugggh.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

TehGherkin posted:

Secondly, while it's kinda cool to play as a non-jedi for a bit, the fact that your old classes skills and abilities become useless when you become a Jedi is really annoying. What's also annoying is that I'll waste 3-4 potential Jedi levelups in a game where 20 is the level cap, on some other class I won't be using anymore. Aside from just -not- levelling up and probably dying a poo poo ton on the intro planet, is there anything I can do to get all my sweet, sweet Jedi levelups without flat out cheating and turning invincibility on for the first planet?

Still haven't found a solution to this so if anyone knows what I can do about it, that'd be great, is there a savegame editor that'd allow me to reset my levels and class to jedi, then give myself the appropriate amount of experience? Even that'd be a boon at this point.

I know by the end of the game I'll be more than powerful enough anyway but there's something about those lost Jedi levels that really bothers me deep down, maybe that's why I replayed the sequel but never this one before; you start off as a Jedi (Although Peragus is an arguably shittier "intro area" than Talos or whatever you start on in KotOR)

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Received another email this morning from the Pier Solar guys. Maybe there's some good news.

quote:

You're getting this message because you either preordered OST, Reprint & Reprint EP.
As you may have figured out, we have additional delay, probably two more weeks needed. Our apology for that.

Also, we had announced previously we would offer free GEMS but those never materialized. There is a simple reason for that, we needed some time to evaluate an even much better option called "free shipping". Yes, free shipping for all preorders and future orders. We just keep a small handling fee of 0.1-1usd to validate each shipment. A bargain.

For our European costumers we are also still adjusting shipping from within Europe. Means no unexpected taxes to be paid on your side. America costumers gets their game shipped from USA. Rest of the world will be case by case. All depending of the stocks, of course.

Thank you for your understanding. We are once again very sorry for this delay and inconvenience.

You will be contacted once we have a set release date. For any questions or concerns feel free to contact the support.

All the best,

WATERMELON TEAM

:rolleyes:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I hope that email doesn't reflect the quality of writing in Pier Solar.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TehGherkin posted:

Still haven't found a solution to this so if anyone knows what I can do about it, that'd be great, is there a savegame editor that'd allow me to reset my levels and class to jedi, then give myself the appropriate amount of experience? Even that'd be a boon at this point.

There are lots of modding tools for KOTOR and KOTOR2 here. Alternatively, start off as a scoundrel, level up as much as you like, then start lightsaber sneak attacking anything you can stun later in the game. Old classes are more useful than you'd think sometimes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Black Stones posted:

The Black Stones posted:

Don't even get me started on how creepy the cosmosphere was and how it was pretty much pointed straight out that one girl wanted to be dominated and probably had a piss fetish.
No I didn't and now I'm glad for it. I only really know Ar Tonelico 1, which I loved for how unashamedly anime and silly it was while riffing on anime clichés at every possible opportunity. Lyner is my favourite JRPG protagonist, just for how amazingly far he takes the "I r dum, friendship forever!!! :holy:" while still seeming genuinely likable.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I mentioned this already in the Steam thread, but XSeed confirmed on Facebook that Ys Origin is coming to Steam later this month.

swoollacott
Nov 11, 2009
Just finished looking through my RPG collection and it seems like 99.9% of them are either fantasy or sci-fi. The only one's I've played that are set in modern times are Alpha Protocol and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Can anyone recommend a good RPG that has a modern setting?

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

TehGherkin posted:

I know by the end of the game I'll be more than powerful enough anyway but there's something about those lost Jedi levels that really bothers me deep down, maybe that's why I replayed the sequel but never this one before; you start off as a Jedi (Although Peragus is an arguably shittier "intro area" than Talos or whatever you start on in KotOR)

Nothing forces you to level up. Just start the game over. You will have one level as your starting class (maybe 2 if the tutorial forces you to level I can't remember). Then, when you hit the jedi part, level like crazy.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

swoollacott posted:

Just finished looking through my RPG collection and it seems like 99.9% of them are either fantasy or sci-fi. The only one's I've played that are set in modern times are Alpha Protocol and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

For awhile I was in your same situation because there is actually almost no title that fits. So the series that fit the mold is shin megami tensei, they are usually set in the present day. You also have the shadow heart series that is set in modern time, albeit it's in the early 1900s. There is definitively a void there to fill.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 1, 2014

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Bleusilences posted:

For awhile I was in your same situation because there is actually almost no title that fits. So the series that fit the mold is shin megami tensei, they are usually set in the present day. You also have the shadow heart series that is set in modern time, albeit it's in the early 1900s. There is definitively a void there to fill.

Also, the Yakuza games are great action/RPG's if you don't mind the Japan setting.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Blew most of the day playing Oath in Felghana, thank you thread for constantly talking up the Ys series.

On modern RPGs I agree with Ankle-biter and Bleusilences, the Yakuza and SMT series are both excellent for the most part.

SMT is firmly in the JRPG category so if that's a problem you're kinda hosed. If it's not they are really excellent and I recommend SMT Nocturne(it's called Lucifer's Call if you're in the PAL regions), it's pretty hard but in a fun way, and the setting is pretty amazing. The SMT Persona games are a lot easier and they ramp up the anime like crazy and 3 and 4 incorporate dating sim mechanics (and 1 and 2 are just kinda badly aged). If anime doesn't bother you they're great though.

Also if you're fine with anime The World Ends With You for the DS is extremely good once you get used to the weird as gently caress control scheme.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

swoollacott posted:

Persona 4, if you can stand anime. Also, whilst it is in a modern setting it also has a lot occult/fantasy stuff in it, so.

swoollacott
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks guys. No problems with JRPGs, although I'm not a huge fan of grinding, or occult elements, so I'll check out the SMT series.

I wonder why so few RPGs have a modern setting. I think there's a lot you could do with it, and as I've discovered it's pretty unique.

EDIT: VVVV Yeah, you're probably right about guns. Also it seems to me that fantasy and sci-fi are "safe" settings for RPGs and nowadays Dev's seem reluctant to take chances.

swoollacott fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 11, 2012

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I think it's mainly due to guns.

Most rpgs seem to be focused on melee and magic. The only rpg I've played that used guns in an incredibly fun was was Resonance of Fate (steampunk-ish setting)

Even in Persona 3/4 melee weapons are used because it's easier for high school kids to get them. (ha, I think a cop sells you weapons in 3 iirc)

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I think that, plot wise, persona 2 is the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guns are honestly a bit hard to make interesting without going kind of crazy. (Which tends to defeat the point of an modern urban setting.) it's not impossible but just from a design perspective it's a lot easier to make melee and magic interesting.

You can go full-on crazy when designing guns but beyond a certain point they become indistinguishable from magic. (And a lot of RPGs have characters who use 'magic' by using goofy fancy weapons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

swoollacott posted:

Parasite Eve takes place in 90's New York. I haven't played The World Ends With You but that took place in modern day I believe. This setting is vastly underutilized.