Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

That loving Sned posted:

Make sure you get to the school. It won't be long until you find out why this is one of the best survival horror games ever made.

So has the first one aged well? Since Resident Evil 2 and 3 was free to PS Plus subscribers I downloaded and tried to play them again, but they haven't really aged well at all. To be fair, 3 was at least playable but 2 was just a blocky mess.

Tamagod Sushi fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Tamagod Sushi posted:

So has the first one aged well?

Sure. Just take it as a sort of surrealistic dream and there you go.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

At least we can say the ageing graphics aren't a problem, since the cripplingly low draw distance was an intentional part of the game. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd say the art design is strong enough that the town survives well, but Harry Mason will always look goofy as gently caress. Fortunately, you very rarely care how Harry Mason looks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Code Jockey posted:

I'm only to the cafe now [where you can save] and yeah this is legit creepy. :stare: I've never played any of the Silent Hill games, and I figured this would be like Resident Evil [the hour or so I've played because the controls drove me nuts] where it tried so hard to be scary but was campy as hell. No, this is pretty creepy. I can't wait to play more. The controls are... weird, but manageable.

Remember to take advantage of the quick turnaound (L1+R1) and that the enemies you encounter outdoors can all be outrun. Also there's a few optional buildings you can enter so try any door that seems half open or that the camera "looks at" when you run by.

The map in this series owns too and you'll quickly pick up on how it marks what doors are locked, dead ends, where puzzles were, etc. Another thing with the combat is that they make use of the analogue face buttons, so tap quickly to do two fast melee attacks, or press to do a songle longer range attack. Mastering hitting stuff with that harder attack just as it enters range will make some areas less annoying.

Also the game doesn't mention this but monsters DO see your flashlight beam, but unlike SH2, they don't perceive the radio being on. In SH2 and especially 3 this is a huge advantage both for going by a place unnoticed and in SH3 the enemies are aggressive enough that you can even use it to lure them towards your position so you can run by. :)

Finally, if you can get through the school woth mostly melee/avoiding enemies and explore every room, you'll end up with almost enough ammo to take you through the whole game. The atmosphere is so good that this does not make it any less intense for me. :)

I'm sorry to gush so much, SH1/2/3 are three of the greatest games ever if you ask me. So much about their design simply isn't or very rarely done in other games. I love how the games have environments that look like places I've lived and streets I've walked down regulalry, the sound design, the quirky comments the characters make about mundane stuff, it's crazy how these are the three of the best American style horror games ever made but they come from Japan and are probably most popular in Europe.

Enjoy!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 8, 2012

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Okay, so if anyone was on the fence about Starhawk's multiplayer longevity

Dylan Jobe, President of the Awesome posted:

We really didn’t like how in Warhawk when we released a new map pack, it forced these divisions on our players. And after we released three expansions, our player community was pretty fractured. With Starhawk that ends! We are incredibly excited to announce that all map packs for Starhawk will be free. Yeah, you read that right…FREE. Whenever we release a map pack you won’t have to pay a friggin’ dime! And we’ve already started the early stages of our next map pack for you guys.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/08/starhawk-out-today-mlg-tournament-all-map-packs-free/

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ape Agitator posted:

Okay, so if anyone was on the fence about Starhawk's multiplayer longevity

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/08/starhawk-out-today-mlg-tournament-all-map-packs-free/

Holy poo poo! I wish I had the money for this and if I had the money I'd wish I didn't already have like 5 games that I'd play before this anyways.

On a different note, I believe the game Datura comes out today on PSN. I saw a review on IGN that said that it's short as hell and it played like crap but it was also a beautiful, unique :catdrugs: as hell experience. I'm interested as I am in all artsy games but I might wait for a price drop.

Speaking of PSN, there's a huge sale on Pixeljunk games today.

quote:

PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap $1
PixelJunk Monsters $1
PixelJunk Eden $1
PixelJunk Shooter $1
PixelJunk Shooter 2 $5
PixelJunk SideScroller $5
PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe for PSP $5,

Everyone who doesn't have Monsters really has no excuse now. I also highly recommend the Shooter games (though the second one is hard as hell).

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, dropping $3 to get Monsters, Eden, and Shooter 1 will get you a ridiculous amount of amazing gameplay. Even if you don't like 2 out of the 3 it would still be well worth it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

axleblaze posted:

I also highly recommend the Shooter games
Seconding this. I finally beat the first one, and it was super fun all the way through. They pull a LOT of tricks with the mechanics, and nothing ever stays around long enough to get terribly stale.

For a $1, it's a fantastic deal. The fluid mechanics are ridiculously fun to play around with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9piUeupkQs

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

axleblaze posted:

On a different note, I believe the game Datura comes out today on PSN. I saw a review on IGN that said that it's short as hell and it played like crap but it was also a beautiful, unique :catdrugs: as hell experience. I'm interested as I am in all artsy games but I might wait for a price drop.

It's another Demoscene production by Plastic - I'm not sure why anyone would 'review' it to begin with. Or buy one, for that matter, when 99% of the stuff worth seeing is on PC. Or streaming, even although that's nowhere near as impressive as rendering a full prog rock video 'live' on your PC.

To be fair, Datura looks to be a little more interactive than most, what with letting you 'touch' the environment using the Move controller, but still, I'm not sure why Sony seem to be pushing demoscene stuff on the PS3.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Neo Rasa posted:

Remember to take advantage of the quick turnaound (L1+R1)

Wait.

There's a quick-turn?

gently caress

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

axleblaze posted:

Everyone who doesn't have Monsters really has no excuse now. I also highly recommend the Shooter games (though the second one is hard as hell).

US only. :negative:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

axleblaze posted:

I've already got Monsters, which other games are worth picking up? Should I skip Shooter and just splurge on Shooter 2 or Sidescroller instead?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I honestly think Eden is one of the neatest games.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Another thing with the combat is that they make use of the analogue face buttons, so tap quickly to do two fast melee attacks, or press to do a songle longer range attack. Mastering hitting stuff with that harder attack just as it enters range will make some areas less annoying.
The PS1 did not have analog face buttons, it was just a matter of how long you held them down.

Otherwise I agree, Silent Hill 1 was my favorite in the series and one of my favorite horror games ever.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Millions posted:

I've already got Monsters, which other games are worth picking up? Should I skip Shooter and just splurge on Shooter 2 or Sidescroller instead?

Shooter 1 is undeniably worth $1. The puzzles are unique and Shooter 2 starts with mechanics that are established in 1 so it's better to get an understanding of them properly. It's well designed and fun and has lots of longevity with collectibles.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Millions posted:

Do not skip right to Shooter 2. It's more of a second half of a game released in two parts than a sequel. It starts out pretty hard because the challenge level is continuing from where it leaves off in the first one. The first are in Shooter 2 is far harder than anything in Shooter 1. I'd say get the pair though. The challenge in the second one turned alot of people off, but I personally loved it.

Sidescroller is pretty underwhelming. It's a pretty generic sidescrolling shmup that's really short. It uses the Shooter engine but makes it look really ugly.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm having the worst luck with PS3 games. I got R&C: A Crack in Time, and it freezes when I enter the second star system and try to go to a planet, leave the system, pause the game or die. When this happens I have to shut off the console. If I do any of these things while the game is autosaving (which it does ALL THE TIME with no apparent pattern) then the save file gets corrupted. Deleting and reinstalling the game data didn't help. Nor did taking the game back to the store and getting another disc. Has this happened to anyone else?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm having the worst luck with PS3 games. I got R&C: A Crack in Time, and it freezes when I enter the second star system and try to go to a planet, leave the system, pause the game or die. When this happens I have to shut off the console. If I do any of these things while the game is autosaving (which it does ALL THE TIME with no apparent pattern) then the save file gets corrupted. Deleting and reinstalling the game data didn't help. Nor did taking the game back to the store and getting another disc. Has this happened to anyone else?

Pretty sure this means your hard drive is going bad. Back up everything immediately.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Are the PixelJunk games already on sale? I'm checking the store right now and they're regular price...

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Parallax posted:

Are the PixelJunk games already on sale? I'm checking the store right now and they're regular price...

They're probably going on sale once the update hits, which is normally some time in the evening.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

Pretty sure this means your hard drive is going bad. Back up everything immediately.

gently caress, I really cannot afford a replacement, and this was second-hand already. Can repair places put new hard drives into these things, do you suppose?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr Snofeld posted:

gently caress, I really cannot afford a replacement, and this was second-hand already. Can repair places put new hard drives into these things, do you suppose?

Do you know how to work a little screwdriver and/or have enough money to buy a SATA laptop HDD? (and have about 15 minutes of time?)

Because if so, you can do it easy-peasy.

Which is to say you could also probably pay someone else to do it, but that's a ripoff for how easy it really is.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Dr Snofeld posted:

Pretty sure if you can't afford it you should just replace the hard drive yourself. Never done it, but it's not supposed to be hard.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Feenix posted:

Do you know how to work a little screwdriver and/or have enough money to buy a SATA laptop HDD? (and have about 15 minutes of time?)

Because if so, you can do it easy-peasy.

Which is to say you could also probably pay someone else to do it, but that's a ripoff for how easy it really is.

Fair enough. I thought it would have involved cracking the case right open, like for replacing the thermal paste. Are there other symptoms I should look for to be sure? This is the only game that's done this. I should say this is an old 2nd-hand console and I dunno how it was handled before I had it, or how old it actually is.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
3 things:

1) I'm not gonna speak to whether this will solve your issue. That I couldn't diagnose. I'm just responding to how easy it is if you DO decide to replace your HDD.

2) It's literally got it's own little door. Open, unscrew (carefully, it's a soft screw) slide out, slide in. Done.

3) There's a more appropriate thread for this, as this thread is for Games.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3344834&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

As somebody who just went from the default 40 GB hard drive to a 300 GB one, I can attest to the fact that replacing your PS3 hard drive is so goddamn easy and takes all of three minutes.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks, moved the discussion to the relevant thread.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

As somebody who just went from the default 40 GB hard drive to a 300 GB one, I can attest to the fact that replacing your PS3 hard drive is so goddamn easy and takes all of three minutes.

One counterpoint: If you're using one of the original model PS3's, the screws are made out of butter, and if you're not careful, you'll strip and shred them the second you put a screwdriver to it, making it a much bigger pain in the rear end to swap out. If you have one of the non-launch fat models or a slim however, they seem to have invested in screws made out of actual metal.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Thank you very much for the heads-up, got Eden, Monsters & Shooter!

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
Is StarHawk going to be available on the PSN as a download?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not this week. There was no announcement of a download version.

Holy poo poo, all of the Uncharted 2 DLC is now free for everyone!

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Feenix posted:

I honestly think Eden is one of the neatest games.

Personally I think Eden is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played, but I guess you can't go wrong for a dollar.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mechanigma posted:

Personally I think Eden is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played, but I guess you can't go wrong for a dollar.

Could you elaborate on that?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mechanigma posted:

It's worth a $1 for the first... hour or so.

Trying to play the later levels gets hugely frustrating fast, but the earlier levels were just a really neat experience.

EDIT: It's a game where you're trying to gradually move up to find various things, making dramatic spins and leaps to do such. However, if you're near the top and miss a jump, you can very easily fall back to the very start of the entire stage. There's also a time limiting system, such that you could be almost to your goal, but you spent too much time screwing around / missing jumps early on, so sucks to be you.

Neither mechanic is frustrating at first, and they're actually quite cool. As they crank the difficulty, though, things get less fun.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 8, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

Not this week. There was no announcement of a download version.

Holy poo poo, all of the Uncharted 2 DLC is now free for everyone!

I don't have Uncharted 2 (I only ever rented it to beat the single player) but i'm going to download this just in case it goes away.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Shalinor posted:

Neither mechanic is frustrating at first, and they're actually quite cool. As they crank the difficulty, though, things get less fun.

The only counterpoint being that when you miss a difficult jump and then manage to save yourself with a lucky grab, you feel drat awesome. I won't disagree that you may feel it gets to NES hard levels at the top tiers, but it also means you get a rush for doing well in it.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

VisAbsoluta posted:

Could you elaborate on that?

I haven't played it in a couple of years so a couple of the details may be wrong in this. But it's basically a platformer where you have to climb vertically to reach seeds and pollinate (jump into) all five to the finish the level. You have a health bar that also acts as a timer because it constantly drains. Taking damage also drains it. You need to constantly pick up energy to refill it, of which there's only a set amount in each stage. So if you fall from a great height, you're pretty much hosed, because you'll have already collected all the energy at the bottom of the stage.

Falling happens often because the platforming is made up of a really weird movement mechanic. You can't walk side to side, you can only move by jumping. You can also shoot a web like Spider-Man and use it to swing around. You have to use the web to kill enemies, because you need to gather the pollen they drop to advance the stage. It's a weird system where you need to "cut" the enemies with the web while you're swinging. I don't think there is any other way to kill them. The web also doesn't adhere to every surface.

Finally it's a game that puts visuals above clarity, and the backgrounds are constantly changing colour and making things hard to see sometimes. Like Shalinor said, the first few levels are pretty sweet, but as the game goes on, they just pile on the bullshit like unkillable enemies and constantly changing the direction of gravity, all while you still have to contend with the game's main enemy which is the draining health bar.

As a disclaimer I did play it before they patched in continues, but even so I have no desire to ever play it again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly would have loved Eden if it didn't have a time limit. Falling all the way down to the bottom is enough of a punishment for screwing up. The time limit just made th whole thing so much more stressful and less fun. The game had a really chill atmosphere and it was called Eden for christs sakes so making it a laid back, take as much time as you need affair would have worked relaly well. The time limits should still be there but as post game challenges. I really wanted to like Eden but as it was I just didn't have the patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Played the demo for Spec Ops: The Line and while there are some things that show its age (mainly the main character's face) it makes up for it with some striking visuals. Also enjoying the character interactions.

• Locked thread