Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So I want to replace the 8gig microSD card in my GalaxyS2 with a 16gig one I just bought, my phone is rooted and I have titanium backup pro (paid). Whats the best/easiest way to do this without losing anything on my sd card? Note I cannot plug the sd cards into the computer unless its through my ph....

Wait, can I just plug my phone int othe USB, copy all the sd data to a folder, take the current card out, then put the new card in the phone and copy it back, restart the phone and it'll be like it was or no?

I feel like an idiot for asking something that should be so simple but I'm scared guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Edit: wrong thread.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 6, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

maniacripper posted:

Wait, can I just plug my phone int othe USB, copy all the sd data to a folder, take the current card out, then put the new card in the phone and copy it back, restart the phone and it'll be like it was or no?

Yes.

Edit: This is assuming you don't have the SD partitioned with ext that's some silly apps2sd mod. If you have no idea what I'm talking about the answer is still yes.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So my Galaxy Nexus has stopped charging normally, (it will gain 1% every 30 minutes or so). I'm going to take it back to Verizon but am thinking it might be best to have stock ROM on it, what's the minimum charge % I should be at to try flashing back to stock without backing up my current rom?

Nevermind, a reboot fixed my issue.

highme fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 6, 2012

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
How locked down are Samsung (not including the Nexus phones) phones compared to HTC ones? I've heard that the official unlock tool from HTC doesn't unlock everything e.g. s-off

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
This might be the wrong place for this, but reccomendations on Rome.for the nook color? Running cm7 release now but I was hoping something woiuld remove all phone services. Its very hard to Wade through all the various mods you can use.

BearQuake
Oct 22, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

How locked down are Samsung (not including the Nexus phones) phones compared to HTC ones? I've heard that the official unlock tool from HTC doesn't unlock everything e.g. s-off

They are not locked down at all.

Edit: To be more specific, it is a simple process to install a custom recovery, or to root stock Samsung phones.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ That's a hell of a broad statement. Care to go into some greater detail?

BearQuake
Oct 22, 2008

Slopehead posted:

/\/\/\ That's a hell of a broad statement. Care to go into some greater detail?

Yeah, sorry about that, I realized how unhelpful I was being shortly after hitting the reply button. From my experience with both the AT&T SGS2 and Captivate Samsung hasn't put much effort into stopping end users from installing custom roms onto their phones. I believe it is the most beginner friendly phone to root or ROM.

They are also fairly robust and hard to brick.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Okay, well tell us what's up with the Captivate these days. I've not heard much about the Captivate Slide either. Are they related in software stack? Give us the DL on the Flip Side.

\/\/\/\/

ExcessBlarg! brings the knowledge flow once again. Thank you sir, you educated not only myself, but surely some lurkers as well.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 7, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Slopehead posted:

Care to go into some greater detail?
To my knowledge, every Samsung Android device (including their Nexus models) is supported by a Windows GUI-based field flashing program, Odin. There's also an open source program, Heimdall, that runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux, that supports the same protocol.

In any event, rooting a Samsung device is generally as easy as finding a ClockworkMod Recovery build made for the device, flashing it via Odin or Heimdall, and applying Superuser.

Now, depending on the device and the version of Android it's running, sometimes there's easier exploit-based ways to root them. But the above approach is a fallback that works in all circumstances, assuming someone has actually prepared a ClockworkMod build for the device. Unfortunately if nobody has, then the device is probably not particularly popular, and rooting becomes more challenging, although not due to any specific barriers on the part of Samsung.

BearQuake posted:

They are also fairly robust and hard to brick.
This may well be true in comparison to other devices, however Samsung phones can still be bricked. In general, I don't recommend reflashing the bootloader unless necessary, as a bad bootloader flash can result in a brick.

Also, particularly disturbing is a bug that I believe affects kernels of Exynos-based SGSII devices where formatting eMMC partitions can brick the device as well. I'm not aware of the exact details, other than it's a problem on one or more of the leaked ICS E4GT kernels, and I believe it's not limited to that device. Of course, due to its severity, nobody is going to be recommending any procedure that's known to risk triggering that issue.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Slopehead posted:

Okay, well tell us what's up with the Captivate these days.
It has CM9 nightly support, there's not much else to say about that.

The Captivate Glide, which is the slider you're probably thinking of, is a Tegra-based device, not Hummingbird/Exynos. Which means it's pretty much entirely different. Beyond that, since Tegra is a rare SoC for Samsung devices, I'm not aware of much source-based development for it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
My girlfriend's Evo battery has really crapped out. It'll go from fully charged to like 30% in under an hour. I've tested this by flashing a clean Rom, not installing anything, and just letting it sit.

Do I have to unroot and install the stock Rom before taking it back, and having the Geek Squad (it was bought from Best Buy, they already said they'd replace it) swap it out?

What if I just put the stock Rom back on? Are they going to actively look for S-OFF?

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 7, 2012

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

eightysixed posted:

My girlfriend's Evo battery has really crapped out. It'll go from fully charged to like 30% in under an hour. I've tested this by flashing a clean Rom, not installing anything, and just letting it sit.

Do I have to unroot and install the stock Rom before taking it back, and having the Geek Squad (it was bought from Best Buy, they already said they'd replace it) swap it out?

What if I just put the stock Rom back on? Are they going to actively look for S-OFF?

Flash back to stock and remove super user.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

Flash back to stock and remove super user.

Okay, that'd be less of a headache then totally un-rooting. I can get SuperUser back easily as downloading it, right?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
CM9 is ALMOST out for the HTC inspire 4g :D. Builds are already complete for many other devices.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

eightysixed posted:

Okay, that'd be less of a headache then totally un-rooting. I can get SuperUser back easily as downloading it, right?

Well you're getting the phone replaced, so you'll have to root/s-off the new phone now.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

Well you're getting the phone replaced, so you'll have to root/s-off the new phone now.

She called. From what I gathered, they are just going to replace the battery on the spot. I could be wrong though :iiam:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

eightysixed posted:

She called. From what I gathered, they are just going to replace the battery on the spot. I could be wrong though :iiam:

If they're just swapping the battery, you shouldn't need to unroot. That said, play safe and install a sense ROM, even rooted. That way it looks normal.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

madkapitolist posted:

CM9 is ALMOST out for the HTC inspire 4g :D. Builds are already complete for many other devices.

Where you seeing anything about that? I check in the DHD and I4G android dev sections on xda every once in a while and hadn't seen anything about cm9.

I've been trying out lord clockan's ice cold sandwich rom every once in a while. It had some cm9 parts in it for a while then he switched to putting aokp stuff in. Aokp's got some neat things too.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Check the cyanogenmod blog. They've started up cm9 nightlies for a number of devices. I was very amused to learn there is a phone code named "tenderloin".

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

Slopehead posted:

"tenderloin".

That's the HP Touchpad

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Slopehead posted:

Check the cyanogenmod blog. They've started up cm9 nightlies for a number of devices. I was very amused to learn there is a phone code named "tenderloin".

That would be the Touchpad if I'm not mistaken. Pretty nice that they're still working on it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just want to say...

Slopehead posted:

Jokes on him, he bought an SGSII on AT&T. Maybe he'll get lucky and have that sweet sweet ICS update by October but bemoan his luck when Jelly Bean never shows up.

I own this phone. I've been using the CM9 nightlies on them since it initially came out with a dozen caveats that are all ironed out now. I'm closing in on having used it every day for two months now and am happy. Flashing new updates of the OS every day is a bit tiring but largely optional, and since I use a rolling release Linux distro on my home computer it feels like a similar process. Just get GooManager to automate the update checking for you.

There's the whole "carriers should provide timely updates" and "one shouldn't have to look to the open source crowd to provide routine system software" aspect, which is true, but we all know there's only one big manufacturer that pushes the OS to consumers directly. Android is no more of a joke than Windows or Blackberry or anything not Apple at this point. You wouldn't be in the Rooted Android thread if that was a dealbreaker anyway.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 7, 2012

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The joke is that he exemplifies the prototypical American Consumer who doesn't want to break his warranty to stay on top of OS updates, yet expects to be supported through the life of his contract. Fortunately he uses his phones primarily to do phone stuff and check facebook, so rooting and the like really wouldn't benefit him much.

:edi:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Wagonburner posted:

Where you seeing anything about that? I check in the DHD and I4G android dev sections on xda every once in a while and hadn't seen anything about cm9.

I've been trying out lord clockan's ice cold sandwich rom every once in a while. It had some cm9 parts in it for a while then he switched to putting aokp stuff in. Aokp's got some neat things too.

Nice, good to know we're (Inspire owners) still on the good list. Last week I finally broke down and upgraded my miui.us rom to the current ICS flavor. There are a few small things that I still miss coming from MIUI 3.x/CM7 (some apps no longer flash the notification LED, no way to sort icons by name) but overall it looks and feels slick as hell.

Something I'm still not clear on, will CM7 be CyagenMod on ICS or is CM its own separate thing from other Android development?

\/\/\/ Gotcha. CM7 wasn't the prettiest thing but in terms of 'everything just works' it stomped all over every other ROM I tried. Hell the only reason I was on MIUI in the first place is because I got so bored with my phone, I never had to troubleshoot or figure anything out with it anymore :) Combine all of that with what I'm seeing of ICS so far and I really want to see CM9 drop for my phone.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 8, 2012

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Something I'm still not clear on, will CM7 be CyagenMod on ICS or is CM its own separate thing from other Android development?

CyanogenMod 7 is Gingerbread. CyanogenMod 9 is Ice Cream Sandwich. CyanogenMod's goal is to take AOSP code, add in their own optimizations, and release their builds under an open-source license.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Is there a way to control HTPCs with Android? I was thinking it would be cool if I could use the phone as a touchpad for the mouse.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

revmoo posted:

Is there a way to control HTPCs with Android? I was thinking it would be cool if I could use the phone as a touchpad for the mouse.

I use Multiremote it has a mouse touchpad, mouse "wii" mode using accelerometer control and a dedicated vlc remote.

Also maps your volume keys to VLCs volume control. Requires a server piece be installed on the htpc naturally.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Wagonburner posted:

I use Multiremote it has a mouse touchpad, mouse "wii" mode using accelerometer control and a dedicated vlc remote.

Also maps your volume keys to VLCs volume control. Requires a server piece be installed on the htpc naturally.

Wow that's a nice app. I love the verbage in the gui. Works great.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I just picked up a Sprint Nexus S 4G. I have it unlocked running the latest CM9 nightly. Its pretty slick. Any other suggestions for ICS roms? Do other ones add anything significant?

Also, is there anyway to increase the brightness of the navigation buttons? They are quite dim.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok so Android builtin email app deletes all my email permanently. If I view an email and change folders, the email disappears immediately and is gone forever. I've lost a couple important ones just today. I can easily reproduce this. WTF

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Wagonburner posted:

There's an actual VLC remote app for Android too if you're using that.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
The XBMC remote app is pretty good too.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

revmoo posted:

Ok so Android builtin email app deletes all my email permanently. If I view an email and change folders, the email disappears immediately and is gone forever. I've lost a couple important ones just today. I can easily reproduce this. WTF

I assume you are not talking about GMail, and are instead referring to the "E-Mail" app. What email provider are you using? It sounds like you have it configured for POP3 email. When you say "it deletes all my email permanently" do you mean from the webmail or once you view an email and then press back it disappears from your phone?

Kynetx posted:

The XBMC remote app is pretty good too.

I second this. I installed OpenElec on my HTPC and use the official XBMC remote.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

revmoo posted:

Let me also add to the list gmote and splashtop as well as any remote for the appropriate HTPC app you may be running. I saw one today and I can't remember the name. Oh yeah, Plex sounded quite interesting.

I could never get vlc remote to work properly.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Kindle Fire owners:

The unofficial AOKP port seems fantastic so far. Everything else I've used so far on the Fire has had some sort of issue (including no accelerated video on ICS for months), but so far this ROM is solid.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Kegwen posted:

Kindle Fire owners:

The unofficial AOKP port seems fantastic so far. Everything else I've used so far on the Fire has had some sort of issue (including no accelerated video on ICS for months), but so far this ROM is solid.

I just upgraded to Energy and it is also good. Its amazing how fast the 3.0 kernel went from dev only to full production in ROMs. Do you have hulu? If so, have you had any luck running it on that rom? I can't get the advertisements to load on mine so therefor the content will not play.

Also, GNEX OWNERS/SGS4G OWNERS! I don't know if its been mentioned in this thread, but if you register for google wallet from you phone, you get $10 free sign up credit. That credit comes with no commitment, you don't even have to enter a card. I'm on a rooted CDMA GNEX, and there is an XDA thread to install the APK for it. I think Sprint owners can just download it.

Google wallet apk here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1365360

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Can you still tether for free on ATT if you rooted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Physical posted:

Can you still tether for free on ATT if you rooted?

Yes, though whether you won't get caught is another matter.