Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mach Won
Jun 17, 2004

Is UNC playing? My post is either whining about (1) ref favoritism, (2) unfair recruiting/player caliber, (3) opposing team sucking or (4) the inevitable UNC win. The day you see me giving UNC credit for anything is the day someone hacked my account.

Roy era: 1-16 :qq: RIVALS!!!!!
Man, I haven't come to Debate and Discussion in years, but I just wanted to say I did my part to vote against this, even though I knew it wouldn't make a difference.

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Well, it looks like Wake went to the "NO" side by a lot. :toot:

My home county, however, is 80-20 "YES." :suicide:

Charlotte/Meck is still out. I'm seeing less than 5% in.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
I'm a virginia resident/registered voter as of like.. 6 months ago.. first time not in NC and I hate it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
e: Nevermind, I can't read.

How do they have results for counties with 0% reporting?

If you're putting your faith in an electorate that re-elected Jesse Helms for 30 years straight, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.
vvvvvvvv

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 9, 2012

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I don't even know why I allowed myself to hope that this would get voted out... welp, I voted, I guess I did my part - but I've lived in NC my whole life and now I think I'm going to be compelled to move rather quickly.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

e: Nevermind, I can't read.

How do they have results for counties with 0% reporting?

If you're putting your faith in an electorate that re-elected Jesse Helms for 30 years straight, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.
vvvvvvvv

I mean, I'm inclined to agree since I'm pissed right now, but this is also a state that saw through his type of bullshit from time to time and voted for relatively progressive, pro-education governors. NC was actually one of the states that embraced integration the most in the south.

Still, if CA can't get it right, why should we?

Oh well, I live out of state now, so gently caress it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

We lost in North Carolina

House is prepared for floor votes in Colorado so civil unions could happen tonight.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Colorado don't let us down :ohdear:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Possibly on the ballot:

Washington: Legalizes same sex marriage.

Washington may have two, legalize same sex marriage, and define marriage as man and woman.

I'm moving there in 7 weeks (from Florida :woop: ) and trying to get all read up on the politics out there.

edit: also, :sigh: at NC but I wasn't holding my breath. :(

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 9, 2012

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Washington may have two, legalize same sex marriage, and define marriage as man and woman.

Wait, what if they both pass?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Btw, NC banned all forms of civil union today. The only valid union is marriage between and man and woman.

I haven't quite figured out what this means if my wife and I moved to NC to be closer to my family (we have a civil union in California).

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Riptor posted:

Wait, what if they both pass?
I don't think that will happen, but if it does I'd bet on our side winning in court.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
gently caress my home state. That is all. (I live in NC)

Campster
May 26, 2006
Regret Elemental

De Nomolos posted:

Btw, NC banned all forms of civil union today. The only valid union is marriage between and man and woman.

I haven't quite figured out what this means if my wife and I moved to NC to be closer to my family (we have a civil union in California).

As I understand it, this is why a number of people think the amendment will be shot down by the courts. I believe it was also why a number of (fiscal) conservatives were even campaigning against it - it would be a waste of money to put a nonsense amendment to a vote, defend it in court, then lose, especially when gay marriage was already illegal. There's apparently a number of questions about how this impacts things like insurance coverage, child custody rights, etc, for non-married civil unions between men and women.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Campster posted:

As I understand it, this is why a number of people think the amendment will be shot down by the courts. I believe it was also why a number of (fiscal) conservatives were even campaigning against it - it would be a waste of money to put a nonsense amendment to a vote, defend it in court, then lose, especially when gay marriage was already illegal. There's apparently a number of questions about how this impacts things like insurance coverage, child custody rights, etc, for non-married civil unions between men and women.
Virginia and Michigan have similar amendments and Michigan's has held up in state court.
Though universities and other public employers have skirted the issue by changing to "dependent benefits" rather than partner benefits.

If this amendment gets taken down in court it will be over a wider lack of a rational basis and not any specific part of the text.

e: Looks like the GOP is running out the clock and civil unions are dead in Colorado unless the governor calls for a special session.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 9, 2012

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
This wasn't the first time bigotry was enshrined in N.C's constitution

And it isn't the first time it was religiously backed either. But every time bigotry has lost, and will inevitably lose.

The rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the dignity and pursuit of happiness accorded to every one us. My life has value god dammit. Its not over, Its never over and that pursuit of happiness will bury the proponents of this institutionalized bigotry in history like a ton of loving bricks.

Lemonus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 9, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Colorado's GOP House Speaker just killed 30 unrelated bills so civil unions wouldn't get a floor vote where it would almost certainly pass.
He met with the governor tonight and refused to cut a deal.
The governor's only option is calling a special session but that only allows for 1 of 30 bills to get a vote.

Amazing.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 9, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Colorado's GOP House Speaker just killed 30 unrelated bills so civil unions wouldn't get a floor vote where it would almost certainly pass.
He met with the governor tonight and refused to cut a deal.
The governor's only option is calling a special session but that only allows for 1 of 30 bills to get a vote.

Amazing.

Now that's a commitment to bigotry freedom of religious expression.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
President Obama "comes out" in favor of same-sex marriage.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/president-obama-affirms-his-support-for-same-sex-marriage.html

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

President Obama "comes out" in favor of same-sex marriage.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/president-obama-affirms-his-support-for-same-sex-marriage.html

Another outrage that can be laid at the feet of evolution.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
Obama: "I'm now only as much of an rear end in a top hat as David Cameron."

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Will it play well with the electorate? Y/N

Yes?

"I support gay marriage."

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Breaking News in Colorado: We get a special session to vote on the 30 bills that were filibustered last night.

But there's kind of mixed reports on whether or not the Civil Union bill is included in this.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20582571/fallout-legislative-implosion-over-colorado-civil-union-bill

Then again, breaking news Denver Post online articles tend to be very poorly written, so who knows?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

GOOCHY posted:

Will it play well with the electorate? Y/N

Yes?

"I support gay marriage."
I would imagine it won't hurt much because he's not reckless so it must not poll terribly.

But this should really only bother the laziest and least informed bigots who only paid attention to the word marriage.
This is a man who campaigned on a full DOMA repeal, continually (if not forcefully) opposed all anti-gay referendums, and told Justice to stop defending DOMA the second it became politically impossible (rather than super unlikely) to repeal it.

If you were opposed to marriage equality I don't know how you could have supported Obama unless you were incredibly eager to believe his tepid policy of not supporting the magic word.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 9, 2012

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

blackmet posted:

Breaking News in Colorado: We get a special session to vote on the 30 bills that were filibustered last night.

But there's kind of mixed reports on whether or not the Civil Union bill is included in this.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20582571/fallout-legislative-implosion-over-colorado-civil-union-bill

Then again, breaking news Denver Post online articles tend to be very poorly written, so who knows?

"I spent a long time in restaurant business," an emotional Hickenlooper said in a Capitol corridor filled with reporters, lobbyists, staff and onlookers. "A lot of people who helped us create that business didn't have the same amount of rights as everybody else.

Read more: Hickenlooper calls for special session in fallout over failed Colorado civil-union bill - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20582571/fallout-legislative-implosion-over-colorado-civil-union-bill#ixzz1uPQ1zdbw
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

- yeah, he's specifically discussing it directly here. It's the key reason for the special session.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Bel_Canto posted:

Obama: "I'm now only as much of an rear end in a top hat as David Cameron."

Ha, ha, ha! Nope!

quote:

In 2000, David Cameron (at that time an unelected Conservative party member) repeatedly attacked the Labour government's plans to abolish Section 28, publicly criticising then-Prime Minister Tony Blair as being "anti-family" and accused him of wanting the "promotion of homosexuality in schools".

While Call-Me-Dave is at the moment saying that the Coalition will basically "get around" to allowing same-sex civil marriages by 2015, he was is hugely homophobic.

You may be the most powerful country in the world, but good ol' Blighty still has the biggest prick in power!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh FoxNews

Yes a WAR

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh FoxNews

Yes a WAR

You see it's a war because the gays are ruining the sanctity of marriage! It's a sacred institution under attack and it must not be defiled!

*watches the bachelor/bachelorette*

*gets divorced*

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Doccers posted:

"I spent a long time in restaurant business," an emotional Hickenlooper said in a Capitol corridor filled with reporters, lobbyists, staff and onlookers. "A lot of people who helped us create that business didn't have the same amount of rights as everybody else.

Read more: Hickenlooper calls for special session in fallout over failed Colorado civil-union bill - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20582571/fallout-legislative-implosion-over-colorado-civil-union-bill#ixzz1uPQ1zdbw
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

- yeah, he's specifically discussing it directly here. It's the key reason for the special session.

So basically they have the 1 Republican vote they need to pass it in the assembly and it's just one giant committee filibuster?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Amused to Death posted:

So basically they have the 1 Republican vote they need to pass it in the assembly and it's just one giant committee filibuster?
They have at least 3 and it already passed every committee.

GOP Leadership held up 30 bills to avoid a floor vote where civil unions would pass.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Oh FoxNews

Yes a WAR

Oh man, now I have to dump my girlfriend to marry a dude, and I'm not even American. :sigh:

Even if he did wait a bit to make sure it polled well I have to give Obama some credit for stating his support for same sex marriage. It's getting a ton of positive attention in the Canadian news, and I'd imagine it's getting similar coverage elsewhere in the world.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

Oh FoxNews

Yes a WAR

This isn't real, is it?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

This isn't real, is it?

Are you unfamiliar with American media? That's not even out of the ordinary.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

They did change it, however. I really wonder what goes on over there. Do you think one guy posted the headline and then everyone else reign it in? Or did they notice the headline was getting a few too many tweets and they went "oh poo poo."

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Boxman posted:

They did change it, however. I really wonder what goes on over there. Do you think one guy posted the headline and then everyone else reign it in? Or did they notice the headline was getting a few too many tweets and they went "oh poo poo."

Second one obviously. Shep Smith is literally the only person at :foxnews: with a conscious.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Fox Nation is their community blog site. Fox is evil, but they're not stupid.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Fox Nation is their community blog site. Fox is evil, but they're not stupid.

On the other hand, Rush said "We've arrived at a point where the President of the United States is going to lead a war on traditional marriage" on his radio show today.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

mintskoal posted:

On the other hand, Rush said "We've arrived at a point where the President of the United States is going to lead a war on traditional marriage" on his radio show today.

His radio show isn't on Fox, and he knows he can get away with saying almost anything after surviving the birth control fiasco. I'm not saying that was a good headline, I'm just saying be accurate with your accusations otherwise you lose credibility to people on the fence.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
:golfclap:

I don't care if it's for politics or not, he's still backing the right opinion, so yay Obama.

Besides, it's not as if he didn't already back it de facto anyhow. Now we just finally made the guy come out and say it openly. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006
I think it took too long for Obama to go public, but a President endorsing gay marriage running against a candidate whose press secretary was fired for being gay just a couple of weeks ago - the difference could not be more stark.

Andrew Sullivan put it best - his statement doesn't change laws, but it shows that he has let go of fear and is prepared to let the chips fall as they may. That's why he was elected. I think it will help him and I think Mitt Romney probably hates life quite a lot right now. It's indicative of how little they fear Romney that they've dropped this.

miss_chaos fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 10, 2012

• Locked thread