Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Fangz posted:

'Territorial integrity' and 'domestic sovereignty' is China's core value in international affairs. China will *NEVER EVER* act in such a way that it appears that they backed down under US pressure. If they do it for Chen, then they lose all international credibility domestic bragging rights on the whole range of other issues, ranging from Taiwan, to Tibet, or the Uighurs, and so on. That the US demanded something publically of them is a strong reason to not do something, and any member of the CCP who appeared to respond to such a demand will be humiliated and destroyed.

Fixed that for you. The Chinese government cares a drat sight less about international opinion than it does about the Party's domestic image. The jingoistic nationalism which is pumped out through the media and fostered in schools and Universities is a double edged sword. China's economic strength and international standing are pretty much the only two issues that people have been taught to judge the government on.

Nothing is going to happen with this until Clinton et. al. have left China. The central government will probably send Chen to a "University town" out West like Lanzhou and give the Shandong government a thorough bollocking for letting this get out of hand.

That or he will disappear (although blind people aren't so good at sowing footballs).

Fangz posted:

To make any concrete measures take place, the Chinese must be allowed to develop a narrative that they *chose* this. The stronger the public pressure foreign powers put on them, the more the Chinese will shift to the defensive position of 'gently caress off, none of your business', and CGC will never get a positive resolution.

If the CCP can weather the media cycle for another few days then they will be "in the clear" to act (either send Chen to University or stuff his body into a bin bag). As long as the cameras are rolling though, the government is not going to act in a conciliatory manner.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Chen is too high profile to murder. They'll probably just brick up his family home and have government stooges watch over him like an eternal flame memorial. You know..the usual PRC reaction to these issues.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

GuestBob posted:

(*Fun Fact: Jingoistic is a loan word from Mandarin.)

No, it's not.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jingo

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

No, it's not.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jingo

Just caught that - I am going to check this one though because I swear to goodness that I saw this in a grown up academic book somewhere.

[edit]

Sorry - I got "gung ho" confused with jingoism. The former is most certainly a loan.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 4, 2012

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Modus Operandi posted:

Since I don't believe in states acting of humanitarian reasons I think Chen has little strategic value as a propaganda tool for the U.S. That's probably why Obama hasn't arranged asylum for him yet. Plus this creates a bad precedent for U.S. policy. There's a lot of people on the long U.S. poo poo list. Imagine if a Madoff type character with his billions was given asylum in China down the road. It's best not to open that can of worms over a blind Chinese hippie.

Ahahaha you really think that would matter in fact I hope the Bernie Madoffs of the world do something like this.

I can see it now 1% supporting totalitarian China tax the gently caress out of them.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Problem solved: http://news.yahoo.com/china-says-activist-apply-study-abroad-061440352.html

Hopefully that's the end of this. Unfortunately, while this resolution works for Chen personally, it doesn't seem like the Chinese government will change its ways anytime soon.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Wedesdo posted:

Problem solved: http://news.yahoo.com/china-says-activist-apply-study-abroad-061440352.html

Hopefully that's the end of this. Unfortunately, while this resolution works for Chen personally, it doesn't seem like the Chinese government will change its ways anytime soon.

I'm surprised China doesn't do this more often. They would be offloading political liabilities overseas where these people would be marginalized by foreign media. The mainstream U.S. press pays attention only because China kicks up a big controversy over it with their actions.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Modus Operandi posted:

I'm surprised China doesn't do this more often. They would be offloading political liabilities overseas where these people would be marginalized by foreign media. The mainstream U.S. press pays attention only because China kicks up a big controversy over it with their actions.

You're amusing that the Chinese government is as a collective whole competent or rational. If they were I would rightfully accuse them a being the space aliens they so obviously would be.

Seriously it makes so much sense if you think about it from their perspective but it'll never get done for a multitude of reasons that can be summed us as humans are stupid sometimes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

GuestBob posted:

Fixed that for you. The Chinese government cares a drat sight less about international opinion than it does about the Party's domestic image. The jingoistic nationalism which is pumped out through the media and fostered in schools and Universities is a double edged sword. China's economic strength and international standing are pretty much the only two issues that people have been taught to judge the government on.

I think you underestimate the international factor. American influence these days is to most of the world a giant shitstain that corrupts everything it touches. It's vital to the Chinese strategic interest that it presents itself as not-America. If however China shows itself to be vulnerable to economic strings being pulled even in its own house, it'll lose its distinctiveness and be labelled just another American stooge, undoing two decades of work done to build critical relationships in Africa, the Middle East and elsewhere.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Modus Operandi posted:

If China deported everyone who ever acted in a protest against the government and will probably do it again, there wouldn't be a whole lot of people in China. TONS of people regularly protest conditions or corruption or policies. Whole towns do it. You would have to decide who's high-level and who's not.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

dj_clawson posted:

If China deported everyone who ever acted in a protest against the government and will probably do it again, there wouldn't be a whole lot of people in China. TONS of people regularly protest conditions or corruption or policies. Whole towns do it. You would have to decide who's high-level and who's not.
To some extent China already doesn't really care if its citizens leave. It's not east Germany or anything. It's pretty easy for most Chinese citizens to leave to go live abroad if they have the economic means.

The problem is there aren't many countries out there that would want the type of people China would want to deport anyways. Activists always shed crocodile tears over Uighurs and such but do people really want potential islamic fundamentalists living in their country? Same goes for Falun Gong cultists or large impoverished populations of Tibetans.

I'm sure China would be thrilled to offload them to the U.S. But realistically they can't. That leaves a few high profile guys really.

It would be an interesting scenario if China tried to engineer a demographic time bomb by just opening up the borders to India and allowed Tibetans a one way trip. I imagine you'd end up with a situation like Castro's Cuba. A lot of prisons would "mysteriously" empty over night sending actual criminals out of the country too.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 4, 2012

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Modus Operandi posted:

It would be an interesting scenario if China tried to engineer a demographic time bomb by just opening up the borders to India and allowed Tibetans a one way trip. I imagine you'd end up with a situation like Castro's Cuba. A lot of prisons would "mysteriously" empty over night.

It'd also potentially start a nuclear war in a few years once the now-Indian Tibetans organized enough to start an insurgency operating from Indian soil, which they'd assuredly do. You know, kinda like the other cold war between two nuclear powers in the area.

But yeah, things have changed since the Russians simply put Solzhenitsyn on a plane once they got tired of him. Nowadays, you apparently need an excuse.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

dj_clawson posted:

Oddly enough, the Chinese legal system is actually set up in a way that actually incentivises mass demonstrations as a means of getting the outcome you want in court.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Modus Operandi posted:

Also, lots of oversea dissidents isn't what you want either sometimes...remember in and before the 1911 revolution overseas Chinese had a habit of donating fund to anti-government groups.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Readman posted:

Oddly enough, the Chinese legal system is actually set up in a way that actually incentivises mass demonstrations as a means of getting the outcome you want in court.

Okay, this, I want to understand. Lay it on me, brother. How's it work? I'm familiar with one version of the Chinese court system from reading Judge Dee, but I rather think that's a tad out of date.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Warcabbit posted:

Okay, this, I want to understand. Lay it on me, brother. How's it work? I'm familiar with one version of the Chinese court system from reading Judge Dee, but I rather think that's a tad out of date.

The joke is that it doesn't work, and you're hosed unless you take to the streets.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Typo posted:

Also, lots of oversea dissidents isn't what you want either sometimes...remember in and before the 1911 revolution overseas Chinese had a habit of donating fund to anti-government groups.

The majority of the "modern" era dissidents are the disenfranchised non-Han minority in most cases. There are exceptions like Chen but the ones making the most noise are usually still ethnic minorities. Overseas Chinese back in the early 19th century were the fairly well off mercantile class of southern Chinese who were exiled for mostly economic reasons. There was a direct Han connection to the mainland so it was easy to foment revolution. On the other hand the non ethnic Han minorities might be able to stir up movements within their own community in the mainland but it's a drop in the proverbial ocean of people in China without Han support.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 5, 2012

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Throatwarbler posted:

The joke is that it doesn't work, and you're hosed unless you take to the streets.
There's a great bit in Giles' memoirs about a 'mass incident'. I'll see if I can find it.

Here we go, Lecture III

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

Warcabbit posted:

Briefly, sort of two related reasons:

Firstly, desire to maintain 'harmonious' social relations. Mass incidents are seen as a failing of the local courts and local government. If you are able to get people together to demonstrate, you have the potential to embarrass the local authorities (who largely fund the local courts and decide which judges get promoted).

Secondly, and relatedly, over the last decade or so, there are increasingly strong incentives for judges to mediate cases ('voluntarily') rather than allow litigation. By this I mean, the Supreme People's Court holds up as model judges those who limit litigation, and also provides for financial incentives for judges who keep the number of cases litigated to a minimum (I can dig the levels of compensation if you want). The emphasis on mediation and alternative dispute resolution is particularly true at the village level.

So if you're increasingly deciding cases on an informal, mediation basis rather than a rules-based litigious basis, you're putting more power in the hands of the local judiciary. Going back to point 1, they don't want their benefactors to suffer political embarrassment, so you'll often see that they'll force mediation, with the intent of buying off or hushing up plaintiffs who have the potential to cause mass incidents (whether or not their claims are meritorious).

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Adar posted:

It'd also potentially start a nuclear war in a few years once the now-Indian Tibetans organized enough to start an insurgency operating from Indian soil, which they'd assuredly do. You know, kinda like the other cold war between two nuclear powers in the area.
That's assuming that an impoverished minority group within a large hindu/muslim population could gain enough socioeconomic traction and resources to carry on such a campaign. It's highly doubtful. You remember those pics that were circulating around '08 that were purported to be Chinese paramilitaries beating on protesting Tibetans? Yeah, those were actually Indian LEO's putting down Tibetan protests. No way Indians would tolerate that sort of activity within their borders either. Tibetans pretty much have no options.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

Modus Operandi posted:

That's assuming that an impoverished minority group within a large hindu/muslim population could gain enough socioeconomic traction and resources to carry on such a campaign. It's highly doubtful. You remember those pics that were circulating around '08 that were purported to be Chinese paramilitaries beating on protesting Tibetans? Yeah, those were actually Indian LEO's putting down Tibetan protests. No way Indians would tolerate that sort of activity within their borders either. Tibetans pretty much have no options.

Those were Nepalese officers actually, but you're right, India would not allow a minority population to drag it into a confrontation with China.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Modus Operandi posted:

Nepalese, and it has to do with Nepal's deteriorating relationship with the West and its increasing relationship with China, post-Maoist revolution. The Nepalese kingship had a very pro-Tibetan stance. Not in military action, but they made special allowances, particularly in the 1960's, for Tibetans fleeing Tibet, to either stay there or to go on to India. When the king was deposed and the Maoists, who are anti-religious in a pretty devoutly religious Hindu/Buddhist country, came to power, China essentially said, "Don't let Tibetans flee into your country, and if they get there, hand them back to us." And Nepal said, "OK."

Or, this was how it was explained to me in Nepal last month.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is it just me, or is the American media's reporting of the Chen Guangcheng affair hopelessly stupid? Most outlets seem to be treating it as if Chen requested asylum and was denied and thrown under a bus, when State tells a very different story and Chen doesn't seem to be able to keep his story straight. There was only that one quote from the State Dept. guy who seems to understand something about the situation saying something like "we have a fragile deal with the state police and Chen is threatening it with his weird comments" but I don't hear the media even attempt to deal with analysis of that or any kind. They also are quite focused on how this reflects on OBAMA but what can you expect in an election year.

There is zero interest it seems in the motives and interests of and constraints on the relevant parties or any attempt to analyze what might happen next. They just seem to have a canned narrative, fake outrage from Americans who won't recognize Chen's name next week, and no real understanding of the situation.

I guess it doesn't help that the American government's treatment of the situation is almost willfully stupid, like trying to pass a Congressional resolution to give the guy asylum when, again, he hasn't requested it. The only thing keeping this guy from disappearing is U.S. diplomatic pressure and the fear of public embarrassment, and backroom deals to save face like the "study abroad" deal currently being floated is the only way Chen is getting anything positive out of this situation. I really feel for the State Department here sort of being the only adult in the room on this issue.

But the media sure isn't helping.

edit: the WaPo articles were good. I guess I should say television news, since those are the outlets I have specifically seen being offensively dumb.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 6, 2012

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

dj_clawson posted:

Nepalese, and it has to do with Nepal's deteriorating relationship with the West and its increasing relationship with China, post-Maoist revolution. The Nepalese kingship had a very pro-Tibetan stance. Not in military action, but they made special allowances, particularly in the 1960's, for Tibetans fleeing Tibet, to either stay there or to go on to India. When the king was deposed and the Maoists, who are anti-religious in a pretty devoutly religious Hindu/Buddhist country, came to power, China essentially said, "Don't let Tibetans flee into your country, and if they get there, hand them back to us." And Nepal said, "OK."

Or, this was how it was explained to me in Nepal last month.

This is pretty much right, although allowing Chushi Gangdruk to operate out of Lo-Monthang for a few decades is pretty relevant to this discussion. Obviously Nepalese politics have changed and the Chinese grip on Tibet has gotten a lot stronger than it was back in the 1960's, though, so chances for a Tibetan insurgency from Nepal are at pretty much 0% now.

Oh, IIRC India has/used to have a few units of ethnically Tibetan troops that were pretty obviously kept trained and armed with the idea that they would go behind Chinese lines in the case of another sino-indian fight and work with Tibetans there to mess with China, although I'm not sure if these even exist anymore.

edit: Also, as for Nepal actually returning escaped Tibetans, cases of refoulement are actually still pretty rare, although coordination between Chinese border police and Nepalese police has made it a lot harder for Tibetans to leave over the last few years. The number of Tibetans successfully making it out every year has gone from a few thousand to a few hundred, despite general unhappiness with Chinese rule being as high as it's ever been among Tibetans.

Electro-Boogie Jack fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 6, 2012

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier
China Expels Al Jazeera Channel

Very sad to hear China has basically banned English language reporters for Al Jazeera. AJ had some really good documentaries and news programs covering China that is rarely covered by mainstream English language media, especially regarding the poorer segments of Chinese society.

Curved
Jan 4, 2008
In another piece of just weird news, apparently "we all know that the Philippines were historically a part of Chinese territory..."

http://tv.sohu.com/20120508/n342659555.shtml

This is an odd turn to take with the water rights arguments that have been taking place recently. I feel like the Chinese won't react too negatively to this, but the Philippines are not going to be happy (if it ever gets to them).

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
That reasoning has been used previously with any sort of conflict in the region. The Chinese generally claim that every nation around them was part of their territory historically, and as such, has to bow to them in disputes or rejoin the Han empire.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Curved posted:

In another piece of just weird news, apparently "we all know that the Philippines were historically a part of Chinese territory..."

This is an odd turn to take with the water rights arguments that have been taking place recently. I feel like the Chinese won't react too negatively to this, but the Philippines are not going to be happy (if it ever gets to them).

Watch out on the above site btw, work security has flagged it as risky (and apparently blocked a nasty element). Think it might be harder for personal systems. Have this problem fairly often on Chinese sites >_<

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

TheBuilder posted:

That reasoning has been used previously with any sort of conflict in the region. The Chinese generally claim that every nation around them was part of their territory historically, and as such, has to bow to them in disputes or rejoin the Han empire.

I love that argument. Might as well say a quarter of the world should belong to Mongolia.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Ronald Spiers posted:

I love that argument. Might as well say a quarter of the world should belong to Mongolia.

When's the Timurids going to get theirs?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ronald Spiers posted:

Yeah, apparently Chinese people don't find the "China is and always has been an inseparable part of the Mongolian Empire" argument very funny. You could always spice it up by claiming that Chinese people firmly support Ulaan Baatar and reject the splittist local government in Beijing, but it still might not fly.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Every 2 bit hack that gets on TV in America also automatically becomes an official representative of all official positions of the US State department.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Curved posted:

Hahah, I'm going to forward this to my Pinoy friends for comment and see what comes back. At least the Mormons wait for you to die to baptize you.

This is, by the way, possibly the best thread in the forum. It's really fantastic. Too bad Thailand has near-zero geopolitcal significance. I have to settle for making GBS threads up the China thread with tangential commentary once in a while. Talk about the four-nation ring road, damming of the Mekong or the train projects throughout SE Asia being financed by China and I'm here! Heh.

EDIT: Response from my Pinoy friend...

quote:

No!!! I will strangle the first Chinese I run into anywhere today.

drat it, Scarborough Shoal is far closer to the Phils than in Shina or anywhere! gently caress! I hope Andres Boni resurrects from the dead and shows those small dicks his machete skills. Heheheh.
Please forward to CCTV. Intra-Asian rivalries are the best.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 9, 2012

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

ReindeerF posted:

Hahah, I'm going to forward this to my Pinoy friends for comment and see what comes back. At least the Mormons wait for you to die to baptize you.

This is, by the way, possibly the best thread in the forum. It's really fantastic. Too bad Thailand has near-zero geopolitcal significance. I have to settle for making GBS threads up the China thread with tangential commentary once in a while. Talk about the four-nation ring road, damming of the Mekong or the train projects throughout SE Asia being financed by China and I'm here! Heh.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but aren't overseas Chinese pretty prominent in Thai politics? I remember reading that something like fifteen (!) former Thai PMs are actually Thai-Chinese. There's an angle right there!

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

menino posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but aren't overseas Chinese pretty prominent in Thai politics? I remember reading that something like fifteen (!) former Thai PMs are actually Thai-Chinese. There's an angle right there!

Everyone in East Asia is related to everyone else. But try telling the Japanese that they're more-or-less descendents of Koreans.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
They are indeed! Still, they're usually not germane here, sadly :(

The Thai-Chinese (largely from some place they pronounce as Dtachieu?) pretty much run the country on a day to day basis, barring the occasional Thai-dominated military overreach. They're also incredibly wealthy by international standards. There's a decent book - not great, but decent - called Asian Godfathers that features the richest/most powerful men from SE Asia (at that time) including HK and two of the guys in it are Thai. I hear a couple of Thai companies (all large Thai companies are run by Thai-Chinese), including CP, actually have a significant foothold in China - but this comes from Thai people, who are lovely, but about as jingoistic as we Americans.

EDIT: On a humorous note, I asked a Singaporean friend who lives in Thailand once why the wealthy Thai-Chinese are a bit (this is a stereotype, but it's not entirely inaccurate) inattentive to the existence of anyone not driving a Mercedes and he said, "Oh, they call come from Dtachieu (?). Chinese people from that region are well-known arrogant cunts."

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 9, 2012

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Throatwarbler posted:

Every 2 bit hack that gets on TV in America also automatically becomes an official representative of all official positions of the US State department.

CCTV is subordinate to the Chinese government. It is well known CCTV is the mouthpiece of the party-government.

That is not the case with the US.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ronald Spiers posted:

CCTV is subordinate to the Chinese government. It is well known CCTV is the mouthpiece of the party-government.

That is not the case with the US.

Pro-tip: Just because something is run by the Chinese government doesn't make them competent or good at what they do.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I remembered when I tutored some Korean professors in English (very smart guys, but their English needed some help), they would tell me about the Chinese claiming basically anyone who was of value and near the current Chinese border as being Chinese like Genghis Khan sometimes. I took this with a grain of salt because people sometimes get a bit defensive of their country's history but I could see it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

LP97S posted:

I remembered when I tutored some Korean professors in English (very smart guys, but their English needed some help), they would tell me about the Chinese claiming basically anyone who was of value and near the current Chinese border as being Chinese like Genghis Khan sometimes. I took this with a grain of salt because people sometimes get a bit defensive of their country's history but I could see it happening.

Weren't Koreans the ones claiming that Sun Yat Sen was Korean?