Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grawl posted:

This freaks me out, how is able to do that sign? :psyduck:

What? I must be missing something, are you from like the EU or something 'cause that's just a normal "holding up three fingers" in the west US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, I can't see what's wrong with his hand at all there. He's holding his pinky down with his thumb to display his other three fingers. This is something everyone does. You really can't do it, Grawl?

Edit: Bad form spoiling a freshly released episode too.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 9, 2012

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Grawl posted:

This freaks me out, how is able to do that sign? :psyduck:

If you just spoiled the episode to tell us you can't show the number 3 with your hand I'm going to be very upset.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The White Dragon posted:

What? I must be missing something, are you from like the EU or something 'cause that's just a normal "holding up three fingers" in the west US.

Must be not from the UK at least.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'm 99% sure he just means how Arino is really stretching his fingers apart.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm 99% sure he just means how Arino is really stretching his fingers apart.

Doesn't look that stretched, looks like how I usually do that gesture...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it's just me but...

:v:

Keidrych
Feb 3, 2011

Thank god. Your precious SCOTTY DOGS are still here. You don't know what you'd do without them. You don't want to even think about it.
Earthbound is expensive. Over $14!

Edit: Not sure if you're trying to correct me or just referencing what someone might pay for the English version. The price in the episode was 1180 yen.

Keidrych fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 9, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Keidrych posted:

Earthbound is expensive. Over $14!

You're off by a power of 10. Also, Cream Lemon

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

joek0 posted:

Could someone explain the translation for Sacho. The Bandai Namco Sacho was translated as CEO, but the Indies Zero Sacho was translated as President? Kacho is translated as Section Chief. What does Sacho translate to?

Shacho is company president/director. The guy in charge of the whole company, I'd guess.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Man I used to play the poo poo out of that Super Mario Bros. Game and Watch and the dual screen Zelda one when I was a kid. Does Arino ever play the Zelda one in another episode?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That episode was god-tier. I didn't know games with shiritori existed. It's the best thing, but I've only seen it come up on TV maybe twice. :3:

Also that black and white part and Arino's mighty leap right after it killed me.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I would wear a GCCX hoodie in a heartbeat.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Hey, here is a thought.

During the Making of Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge, I got a hankering to play it again. Since my copy of the english version, Retro Game Challenge, was stolen along with my first 3DS last year ( :negative: ), I was just about to go on amazon and get a copy. I got to thinking though: What if around the time the dvd comes out, we all bought a copy of RGC? Do you think that would be a good way to try to say "Hey, this poo poo can sell here"? I might be thinking extra optimistically, but what if after the DVD came out, all the rest of the new copies of RGC sold? They might not only bring more GCCX over to the west, but maybe GCCX:AC2 will come over as Retro Game Challenge: Retro Game Master's Challenge.

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 9, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Hey, here is a thought.

Well, maybe. It'll be hard to find an actual in-stock new copy; I'm sure most of the "new" RGC listings you see online are from dubious third-party sellers, and I doubt brick-and-mortar stores have them in stock still.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh! Another season that is almost completed! :woop:

I recently categorized all episodes into folders by season and it's really exciting to see just how much of GCCX is translated by various groups.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hahahaha.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I love you guys for putting these on torrents; the episodes download in less than a few minutes. And with that said I'm pretty sure I'm now scratching the bottom of the barrel in ways of praising the SA team. Although I'm sure I can come up with a few more if I ever revisit those Kotaku episodes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mayor McCheese posted:

I love you guys for putting these on torrents; the episodes download in less than a few minutes. And with that said I'm pretty sure I'm now scratching the bottom of the barrel in ways of praising the SA team. Although I'm sure I can come up with a few more if I ever revisit those Kotaku episodes.

Well, those episodes will be in the upcoming US DVD release that zari-gani is doing translations for. So there you go!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

(Honestly, zari-gani, it never occurred to me just how much they were saying in that video.)

Well, it's a lot of unedited banter.

I get the same enjoyment out of Wagan Land as I do from 53 Stations. Maybe I just like games with catchy music starring wide-mouthed heroes. Proud owner of a Takahashi Wagan shirt.

I'm down to the final episode for the DVD (Ninja Gaiden 2). The last half of April was nuts. I was translating constantly -- morning, day and night. I didn't get burnt out only because the episodes themselves are so good.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I think Wagan Land has become one of my favorite episodes thanks to you guys. Seeing Arino dominate the first Concentration boss fight was pretty drat impressive even though the later ones had more obscure patterns.

Also, could I request a GIF of the part where it flashed the black and white pictures of AD Takahashi, her horrible drawing of a baby chicken Wagan, and Arino before he game over'd on the final level? That was one of the best moments of the episode for obvious reasons.

7c Nickel posted:

Hahahaha.

Didn't those characters end up as bosses in Haggleman 3?

nahob
Feb 21, 2011

[center]i am invincible[/center]
This latest episode really cheered me up when I needed it the most.

Thanks again SAGCCX

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I actually bought a game and watch because of the game and watch segment in other episodes and it's good to see the segment from this episode translated. Thanks guys :)

For fun try watching raw episodes on youtube with their transcribe audio thing set to translate.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Obeast posted:

Didn't those characters end up as bosses in Haggleman 3?

Yup. I never realized they were actually created based off of Lord Abe's Ambition, though. Just never quite made the connection and thought they were something he had made already. (In fact, I thought the box design was a reference to that, rather than the other way around.)

On another note, I could almost swear I had that Mario game.... I remember being fairly unimpressed with it. Kinda wish I still had it considering the current value....

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

While watching this episode last night I couldn't help but be amused by how out-of-chronological-order the "Project: Game Version" documentary has been thanks to the way we've been releasing episodes (yes it's largely my fault). Feels like they've been working on Retro Game Challenge forever as a result. Did we finally get all of them?

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

zari-gani posted:

While watching this episode last night I couldn't help but be amused by how out-of-chronological-order the "Project: Game Version" documentary has been thanks to the way we've been releasing episodes (yes it's largely my fault). Feels like they've been working on Retro Game Challenge forever as a result. Did we finally get all of them?

Looks like it. 47 is the start, 48 the concept meeting, 49 the party where the logo was revealed, 51 and 54 they showed sneak peeks at some of the games, 55 was game testing with fans who sent submissions, then of course 58 was the hilarious launch day fiasco. Still missing 52 and 53, but if anything those would likely be more sneak peeks rather than actual development. (Plus, 53 is DVD material.)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I tried, but there was no way to point this out in the subs and make it sound natural so I'm explaining it here: Arino's Gacha-Gacha and Muku-Muku characters are obvious knock-offs of Gachapin and Mukku, two popular children's show characters that have been around since the 70's.

The indies zero guys' response was weird though. No reaction except for "very fresh and original." Did it go right over their heads just like the "Master High-Bridge" joke?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 9, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is there any reason why those characters would seem familiar to me?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mister Chief posted:

The green one looks really familiar for some reason. :stare:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mister Chief posted:

Mukku looks a lot like the "Yip yip" aliens from Sesame Street

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Maybe because of "Megapin"? http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/09/17/behold-megapin/

Or a Killers music video...

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

zari-gani posted:

Maybe because of "Megapin"? http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/09/17/behold-megapin/

Or a Killers music video...

It was the Killers video. One short term mystery solved! :toot:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Must have been the music video.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Possibly dumb question, but is there any relation between Gachapin and gachapon machines? Some kind of pun?

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011

There was also this. This is what I first thought of when I saw that post.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

techknight posted:

Possibly dumb question, but is there any relation between Gachapin and gachapon machines? Some kind of pun?

Probably not. Gachapon is onomatopoeic. I'm not sure what the origin of Gachapin is, but wikipedia tells me that he was first broadcast in '72, while the first gachapon machines are apparently from '77, so I'd think there's no relation.

Edit: Japanese wikipedia also say Gachapin is supposedly 165cm and 80kg, so he must be fairly well built under that fur haha

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Wagacopter made me laugh way too hard.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah just before the guy was all "very original" I was already sarcastically saying "sooo original Arino". Why am I getting bad Japanese mascot jokes better than actual Japanese people?

Hell my main reason for knowing of the guy is silly youtube videos.

Another reasons goons may find them familiar is an old meme.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Hey, here is a thought.

During the Making of Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge, I got a hankering to play it again. Since my copy of the english version, Retro Game Challenge, was stolen along with my first 3DS last year ( :negative: ), I was just about to go on amazon and get a copy. I got to thinking though: What if around the time the dvd comes out, we all bought a copy of RGC? Do you think that would be a good way to try to say "Hey, this poo poo can sell here"? I might be thinking extra optimistically, but what if after the DVD came out, all the rest of the new copies of RGC sold? They might not only bring more GCCX over to the west, but maybe GCCX:AC2 will come over as Retro Game Challenge: Retro Game Master's Challenge.

Well, that's troublesome, as I just received my copy of RGC this very afternoon! I was on Amazon buying vacuum bags (apparently Oreck XL bags are a pain to find in brick-and-mortar stores) and wondered if picking up a copy would bring my total to free-shipping levels. (It didn't, so I grabbed Pangya as well.)

Had I read this before I placed the order (last week), I'd totally be on board. Show some love for Haggleman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
People should import GCCX ANC2 anyway for DS, even if the game gets released in the states in the future. The Japanese version of both games has Arino's voice in the game. The voice actor in RGC was terrible.

I am always available to help people with the second game. I have pretty much mastered every game except for the 2 Detective games and Gaudia Quest Saga. I have however beaten Gaudia Quest Saga to the end. There are walkthoughs for the 2 detective adventure games and I wrote a guide for the daily challenges. The import for the 2nd game is worth it for GCCX fans.