Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012
I'm dealing with a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7. I keep getting BSOD. Safe Mode comes up but I'm not sure what to do after that. The HD seems good. A blue screen comes up when I boot up the computer. Does anyone know what to do without having to reformat the HD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do you know how to boot into the recovery console? If you can do that I'd run the following commands:

chkdsk /p
fixboot
fixmbr

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

CaptainMidnight posted:

I'm dealing with a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7. I keep getting BSOD. Safe Mode comes up but I'm not sure what to do after that. The HD seems good. A blue screen comes up when I boot up the computer. Does anyone know what to do without having to reformat the HD?

http://www.memtest.org/

Test your memory in every configuration possible. As in, if you have multiple sticks of RAM, test with both plugged in, test with 1 plugged in, test with 1 plugged in in each DIMM slot, etc.

If that all passes, reinstall Windows would be your fastest route (after backing up your data of course). You could also run a SMART test on the HDD.

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Do you know how to boot into the recovery console? If you can do that I'd run the following commands:

chkdsk /p
fixboot
fixmbr

How do you boot into the recovery console?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

CaptainMidnight posted:

How do you boot into the recovery console?

If you don't have a recovery partition setup, then you'll have to boot the OS media disc.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Google is your friend:

This has lots of good info if you need to make a repair cd:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...32-d587cac16781

This is how to boot to recovery console:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

CaptainMidnight posted:

Whatever you decide to do next, rip out the disk and do a backup of critical data first through another computer. Even just doing a chkdsk with faulty memory or a failing drive may gently caress things up further.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Some questions...

Is there any way to make it so Windows 7 doesn't list all the folders at the top of the explorer no matter what? Like if I sort by date, all I see are folders at the top. And is there any way to mix the folders and files together like Macs do instead of keeping them separate?

And a Firefox question. Every site I go to is too small, so I have to hit CTRL and mousewheel up like 4 times so it fits my screen. How would I change things so I don't have to do this?

edit: forgot another problem I'm having. My recycle bin doesn't work. When I select a file and hit "delete", it just disappears. When I go into properties "Don't move files to the recycle bin" is unmarked for every drive, so it isn't that.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 9, 2012

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Schweinhund posted:

Some questions...

Why does Windows get worse with every release (rhetorical). Just an example. Say I'm searching the location of a folder on my HD. I search for the folder and find it, except when it displays the results, there is no way to go to the parent folder of the folder. If you look where that should be, all it gives you is a link to the search results. Is there any way around it? At least they got rid of the stupid dog animation though.

Will right click and "open folder location" or "open file location" do what you want?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Schweinhund posted:

Some questions...

Why does Windows get worse with every release (rhetorical). Just an example. Say I'm searching the location of a folder on my HD. I search for the folder and find it, except when it displays the results, there is no way to go to the parent folder of the folder. If you look where that should be, all it gives you is a link to the search results. Why the hell do they do things like this? Is there any way around it? At least they got rid of the stupid dog animation though.

And is there any way to make it so Windows doesn't list all the folders at the top of the explorer no matter what? Like if I sort by date, all I see are folders at the top. And is there any way to mix the folders and files together like Macs do instead of keeping them separate?

And a Firefox question. Every site I go to is too small, so I have to hit CTRL and mousewheel up like 4 times so it fits my screen. How would I change things so I don't have to do this?

Answer to #1 is to right click on the file/folder you find and click "Open Folder Location" or "Open File Location"

#3 would be to check your Zoom Setting under the View menu in the Menu Bar I assume.

Worse each version.. I loled.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Yeah I realized the first question and edited it out. Worse is a slight exaggeration, but I did like the simpler way old versions worked.

Also, thanks for the Firefox answer, will try that out.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 9, 2012

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Schweinhund posted:

Yeah I realized the first question and edited it out. Worse is a slight exaggeration, but I did like the simpler way old versions worked.

Still a bit relative here, the "Simple" things that need to be done like adding hardware or renaming a bunch of files or hell even one file (without changing the extension) are so much better in 7 than in XP or older. Once you discover it and get used to it, going back is like working with rocks again. And The Instant Search in Vista/7 actually works where Desktop Search in XP just made everything slower than crap.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Install Everything and never use Windows' search again.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

There doesn't seem to be an overall zoom setting under the view menu in Firefox, those just work for individual pages. But searching for "firefox default zoom" led me to this addon which seems to work: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/default-fullzoom-level/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm trying to find a free/open-source application for Windows 7 64 bit that can give me a taskbar on my 2nd monitor. Everything I've found like this either has issues running on W7 64 bit, or costs too much money. The only free/open-source one I've found is this one, but I wanted to post here to see if any of you have any recommendations.

Thanks!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm trying to find a free/open-source application for Windows 7 64 bit that can give me a taskbar on my 2nd monitor. Everything I've found like this either has issues running on W7 64 bit, or costs too much money. The only free/open-source one I've found is this one, but I wanted to post here to see if any of you have any recommendations.

Thanks!

Pay for Displayfusion Pro. I was like you, then I bought DF and it's just the greatest.

EDIT: Actually I guess if you only need the second taskbar it probably isn't worth it for you, so never mind.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

Pay for Displayfusion Pro. I was like you, then I bought DF and it's just the greatest.

It's worth it, eh? I was looking at the free vs pro chart, and the free version is missing basically every feature I want. If it's worth it I'll pull the trigger, I really hesitated with that cost though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's worth it, eh? I was looking at the free vs pro chart, and the free version is missing basically every feature I want. If it's worth it I'll pull the trigger, I really hesitated with that cost though.

If you only want the dual-monitor taskbar, it's probably not worth it if that free one works.

If you want something to manage all the stuff about your dual-monitor setup (desktops, screensaver, etc) I think it's worth every penny. The newest version lets you customize each taskbar individually, too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

If you only want the dual-monitor taskbar, it's probably not worth it if that free one works.

If you want something to manage all the stuff about your dual-monitor setup (desktops, screensaver, etc) I think it's worth every penny. The newest version lets you customize each taskbar individually, too.

Fantastic, thanks for the help!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is there a free alternative to Tag & Rename for cleaning up tags and adding album art?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sporadic posted:

Is there a free alternative to Tag & Rename for cleaning up tags and adding album art?

MP3tag

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012
If a new Dell laptop is ordered do you get a Windows 7 DVD with the computer as well as the Drivers and Utilities DVD?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

CaptainMidnight posted:

If a new Dell laptop is ordered do you get a Windows 7 DVD with the computer as well as the Drivers and Utilities DVD?

Not unless you order it specifically with the backup dvd's and they usually charge $25. I'd make a backup set as soon as your laptop arrives.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
You're probably better off just downloading a generic ISO from Digital River and putting it on a DVD or flash drive anyway.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Unless something changed, I didn't think you could install a generic Windows 7 ISO with the key on the back of Dell or HP laptops.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GreenNight posted:

Unless something changed, I didn't think you could install a generic Windows 7 ISO with the key on the back of Dell or HP laptops.

It has always worked for me regardless of manufacturer. Vista and XP are sometimes pickier, but it's not a problem with 7.

Edit: where you might run into problems is if you try to use the product key for the install that the computer shipped with (e.g. looking it up with a keyfinder), since that's the key for their disk image for that model rather than the key printed on your laptop's sticker.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 10, 2012

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No poo poo. That's awesome. Now I know to grab the Windows key when I throw out dead machines at my job.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

CaptainMidnight posted:

In Australia it costs $2 for the Media and it's one of those ones that puts a Dell logo in your system info and probably other stuff. Just blow it away and get one from Digital River, it will work fine with the licence sticker on the bottom of your Dell.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

GreenNight posted:

No poo poo. That's awesome. Now I know to grab the Windows key when I throw out dead machines at my job.
I used to do this with XP keys. It's not legal, but at the time it was a slight step up from using cracked versions.

Turns out Microsoft declares up to 6 completely different machines on the same OEM XP key as genuine simultaneously if you inject it with their keyupdatetool. Never had to use phone activation while reinstalling on those same machines either.

You're depending on the willingness, grace and flexibility of Microsoft not to suddenly deactivate your pc however, so I'm glad that's all behind me.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Does anyone have a preferred method of saving online articles for archival purposes? I'm considering using Readability's text converter thing and saving as PDF, but I've found it to be unreliable at times as it tends to cut off articles near the end. I don't want to have to spend extra time comparing the Readability version with the original.

I'm using Readability because it really does make reading articles easier on the eyes. I know Instapaper has similar features, but I'm asking in general what archival method you guys might recommend.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Butt Savage posted:

Does anyone have a preferred method of saving online articles for archival purposes? I'm considering using Readability's text converter thing and saving as PDF, but I've found it to be unreliable at times as it tends to cut off articles near the end. I don't want to have to spend extra time comparing the Readability version with the original.

I'm using Readability because it really does make reading articles easier on the eyes. I know Instapaper has similar features, but I'm asking in general what archival method you guys might recommend.

Pinboard.in offers an archive upgrade that stores every page you bookmark with them, including images, stylesheets, etc. It doesn't format them but I guess you are free to use whatever you want in the archived copy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Butt Savage posted:

Evernote is perfect for this. It can save the whole page, or you can use their Clearly extension to clean up the page. I normally just save the whole page.

I also use the Page One extension to automatically show a one-page version of multi-page articles.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I cannot believe I forgot about Evernote. I used to use it but got fed up with it. I guess I'll have to give it another shot, especially since it saves locally.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

gmq posted:

Install Everything and never use Windows' search again.

I just want to second this. I installed Everything for the first time a few days ago, and it's goddamned amazing. I never thought searching hard drives this fast was possible.

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran
I googled for a bit on this but...

The play/pause button on my keyboard works for controlling Spotify, until I have iTunes open at the same time and it takes the button over. Is there a way to stop iTunes from taking the button? (Windows 7 x64)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fantastic, thanks for the help!

I bought DisplayFusion pretty soon after testing the free version as well. I think it was on special, and seemed to do so quite regularly so maybe keep an eye on their webpage?
The dev also seemed to respond promptly with requests or bugfixes, so that's nice too.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
After the latest batch of Windows updates, I seem to have lost the Windows 7 Japanese language pack. I had it installed, but it's not in my list of installed updates in Windows Update, nor is it in the list of other language packs I didn't install, and Japanese characters in window title bars are displaying as squares. Can anyone help? (Windows 7 Ultimate)

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

You don't actually need the language pack to display Japanese text in applications, it's only if you want to switch Windows itself to running in Japanese. You might want to check Install/Uninstall Display Languages and click Uninstall, possibly it's still listed.

Not that this solves your problem either way, but it shouldn't be related to the language pack, at least. Sounds like a font problem (the right font being unavailable or the configured title bar font not being a Japanese-supporting one), though that'd be weird to happen spontaneously too.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Why does Word insist on opening on my second display, even when that display is turned off? I've dragged it to my primary display and closed it in the hope that it'd learn its rightful place, but to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Why does Word insist on opening on my second display, even when that display is turned off? I've dragged it to my primary display and closed it in the hope that it'd learn its rightful place, but to no avail.

Try maximizing the window on that display a couple times then closing it on that display.