Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

xanthan posted:

So it seems like somethings wrong with the Oggumogoggum's Morrowind Mods Compilation torrent. I can't connect to ANY of the peers on it for some reason, it worked fine on friday and I wasn't home yesterday if that matters.

Every connection just keeps timing out.I'm now getting the occasional connection that doesn't time out but slow speeds overall due to having all of 1 peer for usually less then half an hour.

Anyone else having this problem? Other torrents work fine.

I check on it every now and then to make sure it's still got seeders. Sorry to hear it isn't working for you. I'll start seeding it again myself later today if I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm worried that with megaupload's death we've lost a vast e-storage of mods for not just Morrowind but so many other games.
edit: As soon as I save up and build a new desktop pc I want to give Tamriel Rebuilt a go.

frogge fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 1, 2012

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I'm wrapping up my Skyrim playthrough soon and thought I'd finally give Morrowind a shot since I've heard it's so much better than Oblivion and Skyrim so many times in the past.

So far I guess it hasn't quite clicked with me so it's encouraging to hear in this thread you need to get a few hours in. It's pretty clunky; the world seems cool and different but it's not particularly fun to explore because I move so drat slow and combat is kind of boring. The levelling system is making me :spergin: to try to get 5 attribute increases every level. I'm not quite sure where I should be stashing my excess loot so I've dumped a bunch of crap on the Fighter's Guild/guard tower floors in Balmora (I guess the logical place to leave things would be Caius Cosades' house actually :shobon:).

I've heard a lot of great things about it that I'm willing to tough out the early parts. I guess I'm wondering at what point folks think the game picks up?

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I'm wrapping up my Skyrim playthrough soon and thought I'd finally give Morrowind a shot since I've heard it's so much better than Oblivion and Skyrim so many times in the past.

So far I guess it hasn't quite clicked with me so it's encouraging to hear in this thread you need to get a few hours in. It's pretty clunky; the world seems cool and different but it's not particularly fun to explore because I move so drat slow and combat is kind of boring. The levelling system is making me :spergin: to try to get 5 attribute increases every level. I'm not quite sure where I should be stashing my excess loot so I've dumped a bunch of crap on the Fighter's Guild/guard tower floors in Balmora (I guess the logical place to leave things would be Caius Cosades' house actually :shobon:).

I've heard a lot of great things about it that I'm willing to tough out the early parts. I guess I'm wondering at what point folks think the game picks up?

It doesn't really "pick up". I had fun from the very beginning just loving around exploring and doing guild quests. If that's not your thing I'm not sure it's going to get too much better for you, the main questline isn't very long. Combat is pretty standard for an rpg, I think a lot of new people come into Morrowind expecting something like Skyrim or Oblivion. Keep in mind this isn't primarily an action game like those two, it's an rpg. Stats and dice rolls and all that.

As far as walking speed goes, yeah that's annoying. I pretty much always go for these first after starting a new game. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Pemenie_and_the_Boots_of_Blinding_Speed

If you have some magic resist the blind isn't a big deal at all.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Part of the fun comes from learning so much about the game you can just break it in half, but not in a glitch sort of way, it's just complex enough that there's enough information to manipulate. Give it ten hours an your progress will be astounding. Like Cool Blue said about the boots of blinding speed, when you first find them it's sort of a joke item but once you learn enough about the game it's easy to see that you can dispel magic and actively use them. The fact that you know how to and have found Caius Cosades means you are more knowledgeable than about half the people who have played this game.

There's a speedrun of some guy finishing the main quest in about 15 minutes. Yeah he uses some duping glitches and potion tricks but the fact that if you know what you're doing you can become a god in 5 minutes with no limitations is what makes this game really enjoyable for me. You are playing a game that has one of the biggest intricate game worlds ever created and you don't even have quest markers or map directions, you have to read. This goes without saying that after many many playthroughs it's extremely satisfying combining the knowledge you've learned and just making GBS threads on the game. Nothing like creating a new character only to raid the vivec vaults by going perma-invis then flying out the city(literally, flying, something removed from newer ES games) to get your bounty removed for launching catastrophic nuclear fireballs at guards. All at level 1.

No matter how many forums you read you just really have to play the game to get good. It's just so loving big there isn't really any easy tricks or hints. The fact that I can reinstall this right now create a new character and remember exactly where the sword of white woe is, or boots of blinding speed, or killing fargoth, grabbing the scrolls of icarin flight and jumping(literally, one tap on the spacebar) to Balmora is just loving funny. The fact that most posters reading this thread can do the same is just because we have probably spent a lot of time playing this game and it is rewarding(and spergy).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rap Music and Dope posted:

:words:

I recently saw a video where a guy beat the game in four minutes and some change. If I hadn't seen it, myself, I would have refused to believe it was possible.

Falls Down Stairs, even though I rant about how great Morrowind may be, I have to admit that it's not for everybody. Like others posters have said, the game doesn't really get into "full swing" at any point. If you've sucked it up for two or three hours and can't figure out what's so enjoyable about it, you might just find Skyrim to be the better game. If you find Oblivion to be the better game, then you are wrong.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I recently saw a video where a guy beat the game in four minutes and some change. If I hadn't seen it, myself, I would have refused to believe it was possible.

Falls Down Stairs, even though I rant about how great Morrowind may be, I have to admit that it's not for everybody. Like others posters have said, the game doesn't really get into "full swing" at any point. If you've sucked it up for two or three hours and can't figure out what's so enjoyable about it, you might just find Skyrim to be the better game. If you find Oblivion to be the better game, then you are wrong.

Well, I'm a little further into it now than when I made that post and it is sticking with me a little more. I don't know whether it's because I've gotten used to the combat or it's less boring with un-lovely equipment or what but I'm not minding it as much any more. Walking speed is still a drag but at least there seems to be ways to improve it; I'm working towards improving my Speed at my next level up.

If anything's changed, I suppose earlier I was just farting around Seyda Neen and Balmora and the area in between just trying to figure out what there is to do even; since then I've developed more of an idea of what I want to accomplish (a harsh contrast to Skyrim which is just constantly shoving things to do in your face).

I'm also reading books more than I ever did in Skyrim or Oblivion. I guess the fact that NPCs spew huge paragraphs at me is acclimating me towards reading or omething.

(And yeah, I liked Oblivion when it came out but I can't even play it any more without a metric asston of gameplay mods to smooth over the stuff in that game that's just straight-up stupid like everything ever level scaling to the point of insanity)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, the first few levels are really slow. After some time you'll be able to actually land your attacks and you'll run a lot faster. Go explore or start a guild questline and you'll level up in no time.

Keep playing, it's worth it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I always tell people that they need to take Morrowind for what it is - an open world RPG from the early 2000s.

If you can get past the engine and the combat, the game is just incredible. The world is so fantastic and outlandish, it really is great to just explore.

The main thing that I think Morrowind has going for it is that all the dialog is non-voiced - so there is literally a gently caress ton of it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I'm also reading books more than I ever did in Skyrim or Oblivion. I guess the fact that NPCs spew huge paragraphs at me is acclimating me towards reading or omething.

(And yeah, I liked Oblivion when it came out but I can't even play it any more without a metric asston of gameplay mods to smooth over the stuff in that game that's just straight-up stupid like everything ever level scaling to the point of insanity)

The thing about Morrowind's books is that a lot of them are actually applicable to the game. For example, some can give clues on artifacts or temples that you can find in the game. If a story feels like it is trying to describe a location, you might very well be able to search for it in the game! :science:

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Well, I'm a little further into it now than when I made that post and it is sticking with me a little more. I don't know whether it's because I've gotten used to the combat or it's less boring with un-lovely equipment or what but I'm not minding it as much any more. Walking speed is still a drag but at least there seems to be ways to improve it; I'm working towards improving my Speed at my next level up.

I'll echo what the above posters said, and say that Morrowind doesn't really "pick up" to the same degree as Skyrim or Oblivion (especially the Main Quest) and that what you see is what you get once Character Generation is done.

HOWEVER...

There comes a point a few levels in where the game becomes hilariously easy. Depending on how you've built your character, where this starts to happen can vary wildly (and can even happen by accident), but from your posts it seems that you're getting closer to the point where your character tears through almost everything the game throws at it and things start to inch ever so slightly in the general direction of what you got in Skyrim (but only a little bit, though). You'll be able to master the uses of each ability and string them together as Rap Music and Dope mentioned. Once you get confident enough doing things in/near the towns, you'll eventually get quests out in the wilderness of Vvardenfell and find what this game is REALLY all about. I hope you like getting lost for hours exploring!

I know it might be kinda late to say this, but one thing I should warn you about is that while characters in Skyrim are much more flexible and can change from heavy-hitting smith to assassin to mage in only a few levels (with some planning), Morrowind characters can't change as easily and mostly stay the same (until you can eventually afford to train everything to 100). If you don't like the vanilla leveling system, there's other options such as MADD and Galsiah's Character Development which other people in this thread found success with. I actually have an Excel document I Alt-Tab to whenever I level up a few skills, since I like the vanilla system better.

You've probably seen that the game doesn't hold your hand nearly as much as the later ES games and requires more dedication on your part to get things done, but it's good that you're getting used to it.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
In other news (in case you missed it), Zenimax officially announced an Elder Scrolls MMO yesterday. Here is the thread in the MMO HMO, and here is an article by acclaimed writer Zack Parsons on some exclusive leaked info.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was a mod where at level up every stat had a +3 modifier, so you didn't have to worry quite as much about which skills you leveled up, but I can't remember what it was called, seemed like a good compromise between GSD and the normal system. At the very least you wouldn't need an excel spreadsheet any more.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Skwirl posted:

There was a mod where at level up every stat had a +3 modifier, so you didn't have to worry quite as much about which skills you leveled up, but I can't remember what it was called, seemed like a good compromise between GSD and the normal system. At the very least you wouldn't need an excel spreadsheet any more.

Was it Linora's mod? - http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7429

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
Are there any good Morrowind LPs? Most of the ones I've seen are blind or from people not very knowledgeable about the game. I know quite a bit about the game so watching a LP of a redguard mage with the tower sign can be sort of disheartening. I'm sure some players out there have made really informative or unique LPs, know any good ones?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Are there any good Morrowind LPs? Most of the ones I've seen are blind or from people not very knowledgeable about the game. I know quite a bit about the game so watching a LP of a redguard mage with the tower sign can be sort of disheartening. I'm sure some players out there have made really informative or unique LPs, know any good ones?

I was considering making one about a year ago but never got around to it. Maybe someday. :\

But yeah, the one that I can think of has a guy who uses a facecam and doesn't seem to be good at anything. You load up "Let's Play Morrowind, Episode 163" and he's in Balmora talking to Caius Cosades.

e: I was exaggerating when I wrote that but I just went and checked the videos and it's at part 184 and he's in Illunibi. At level 8.

Malsgrein fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 6, 2012

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Are there any good Morrowind LPs?

Check out Lizard Wizard's - although he did eventually abandon Morrowind and move on to Fallout 3:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3418343

Also, Musical Daredevil did one, but also abandoned it (well, powered through the rest of the MQ). That one has fallen into the archives here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3385469

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

ulmont posted:

Also, Musical Daredevil did one, but also abandoned it (well, powered through the rest of the MQ). That one has fallen into the archives here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3385469

Rap Music and Dope was asking for a good LP :colbert:

That aside, for those of you who don't have archives you can find the LP in the other archive.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Raxmus posted:

The rumor mill speculates TESNexus is going to split into 3 different sites for each game and hopefully will see reuploads of most of the major Morrowind mods. That said I would agree that it would be a good time to grab any mods you want now because the nexus is famous for reducing the overall availability of mods and being disliked by some modders.

So I had to bundle up the morrowind stuff to put on my laptop for later (I have a lot of offline downtime coming up soon), I decided to make it a little more user friendly and have included some basic documentation, mostly ripped from Musical_Daredevil's excellent OPs. These are hosted by me, and the links should be active until at least February 2021. Technically I have unlimited hosting, but I'd rather not push it, so I'd rather if you don't spread these links around outside the forums. I'm aiming for 20 or less downloads per month.

Morrowind_Update
This is mainly aimed at users of the Steam version of Morrowind
http://nearlydeaf.com/files/Morrowind_Update.zip - 150mb
Includes:
  • dx9 full
  • visualc++2008 redist
  • .net framework 2.0
  • .net framework 4.0
  • JRE win64
  • MGE-XE
  • MGE-EX GUI/HUD

Morrowind_Mods
http://nearlydeaf.com/files/Morrowind_Mods.zip - 678mb
Includes

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 7, 2012

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I just picked up this game and Oblivion from the recent Steam sale. Is it normal for Brotherhood assassins to be murdering you within the first 24 hours of getting off the boat? I mean, I got some nice stuff off of him, but seriously, I thought I was screwed.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's the hook for Tribunal content.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hadlock posted:

morrowind stuff
Thanks! I'm reinstalling Windows (and very likely Morrowind GOTY) this afternoon so this'll be a big help. :)

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I picked up MW on Steam yesterday after debating buying it for a second time for at least a year. I've reinstalled and will probably fiddle with and update my mod pack for this year, and if I've got the bones to buy Dxtory or something maybe I'll start a video Let's Play.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

QuantaStarFire posted:

So I just picked up this game and Oblivion from the recent Steam sale. Is it normal for Brotherhood assassins to be murdering you within the first 24 hours of getting off the boat? I mean, I got some nice stuff off of him, but seriously, I thought I was screwed.

Here, give this mod a go. It makes it so you aren't attacked until you're either sufficiently far enough along the main quest or you're the guildmaster of a guild.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

I trade the loot from the assassins as start up cash for training skills and getting equipment that otherwise would take awhile to save up for.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Currently digging through my mod pack for the first time in a couple of years. I'm going to rearrange and remove some things and hopefully release a new version that's a little lighter and easier to install.

Any feedback while I'm editing would be welcomed! For anyone that's used the pack, what did and didn't you like about it?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Oggumogoggum posted:

Currently digging through my mod pack for the first time in a couple of years. I'm going to rearrange and remove some things and hopefully release a new version that's a little lighter and easier to install.

Any feedback while I'm editing would be welcomed! For anyone that's used the pack, what did and didn't you like about it?

I don't use your pack anymore (MGSO + Galsiah's and a few other mods cover everything I want), but I used to use it as a base whenever I reinstalled Morrowind. Two things I'd point out:

Take another look at the texture replacers. Most of them are really good, but I remember the grass in Mournhold and most of the terrain in Bloodmoon weren't covered and would stick out whenever I was there.

This is a purely personal thing, but I hated that mod that adds head bobbing to the first person camera. It's a decent concept, but it doesn't actually look like natural movement so much as drunken lurching.

That said, it's solid all around. I might suggest adding the Imperial Legion Badge, since it's very unobtrusive and keeps you from having to carry an Imperial chain cuirass around for the rest of your life.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
:siren:Very important announcement from Fileplanet:siren:

I know that there are a large number of Morrowind files stored there, a few of which are in the OP. Everything should be safe for now, but what's going to happen in the future is anyone's guess. Gamefront has more information on what is going to be shut down and what will continue.

Also, I just got done updating the OP with Hadlock's links and a few other things. I put the first one under Basic Installation for both Steam and CD, since the files in the .zip should work for both. As far a Megaupload files, the only important one I found in the OP is The Furious Pirate's pluginless version of Better Heads.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 8, 2012

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
I'm having some trouble with getting Wrye Mash to detect the Installers from Ogummsmods. Using a Steam copy, Wrye Mash is installed to my Morrowind folder. Installers folder is sitting in Morrowind folder as well. It has no trouble detecting Replacers.

Edit: AHHHH the Installers folder was set to the default CD install location. That took way too long to figure out.

Pottsdam fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 8, 2012

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Pottsdam posted:

I'm having some trouble with getting Wrye Mash to detect the Installers from Ogummsmods. Using a Steam copy, Wrye Mash is installed to my Morrowind folder. Installers folder is sitting in Morrowind folder as well. It has no trouble detecting Replacers.

Edit: AHHHH the Installers folder was set to the default CD install location. That took way too long to figure out.

This exact thing happened to me yesterday. :3::respek::3:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Got Morrowind and Oblivion from the Steam deal thing. Installed Morrowind + MGSO, but I can't get it to run decently.

Istalled MGSO with the automatic installer on 'Good PC' automatic installation. I still get terrible FPS outdoors.

Indoors, FPS shoots up to 120 and parks there, outdoors FPS fluctuates between 10-20 and the game almost turns into a slideshow when there are NPCs about.

So what should be my first order of tweaks? I haven't got a great system, but I can run Oblivion and HL2 at decent settings.

Specs:

i7 processor @ 2.0 GHz, 4GB ram
Geforce GT 540M with updated drivers.
1366x768 laptop screen

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was curious which skills are considered good and worth taking and which skills are poo poo and should be modded out of the game avoided at all costs. I kind of want to make a decent character that won't get beat to poo poo by mudcrabs.

Edit: I should probably add that I like playing stealthy characters, preferably with a bow or other ranged weapon.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 9, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

QuantaStarFire posted:

I was curious which skills are considered good and worth taking and which skills are poo poo and should be modded out of the game avoided at all costs. I kind of want to make a decent character that won't get beat to poo poo by mudcrabs.

Honestly, they're all pretty useful...stealth is a little weird, though. I never quite figured out how to level it up. The real challenge is creating a character with skills that aren't needlessly redundant, like having both "long blade" and "short blade" on the same build. Since you level skills up as you use them--and leveling them up takes longer in this game than in Oblivion or Skyrim--you want to make sure you can put each skill to work as much as possible.

All characters will be beat to poo poo by mudcrabs in the very beginning of the game. It's...humbling.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Is there a mod that gives a small bit of skill up when you fail to use a skill? That's my big gripe with the game right now.

Leveling stealth is pretty easy. You get points for going unnoticed, the easiest way to get it up is to crouch in the corner of the excise office behind the guard captain and walk into the wall for 15 minutes. I found that I couldn't hide worth poo poo until I got stealth pretty high. At 45ish I can sneak past enemies pretty reliably but pickpocketing is still dicey.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
EDIT: wrong Elder Scrolls modding thread.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
This thead made me decide to re-install these games. I glanced at the OP and it seems pretty overwhelming to say the least... Am I going to have to keep dicking around with mods before I can actually play? If I'm not very good at all this stuff should I just stick to vanilla or is it easier than it looks? Sorry if this thread get this sort of question a lot.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

This thead made me decide to re-install these games. I glanced at the OP and it seems pretty overwhelming to say the least... Am I going to have to keep dicking around with mods before I can actually play? If I'm not very good at all this stuff should I just stick to vanilla or is it easier than it looks? Sorry if this thread get this sort of question a lot.

I went the Ogggummmmogogogum route and to be honest it was a lot more of a pain the rear end than I was expecting (Wrye Mash is incredibly unintuitive) but in the end everything worked without too much fuss, so I can't complain. Definitely way easier than tracking down all the mods myself, so thanks Oggum!

If you're on the fence, just play vanilla, it's still awesome. The one mod I appreciate the most is distant lands. It's nice not to be trapped in a cloud fog all the time, although I added some fog via the weather effects in distant lands because the world looked really empty without any fog at all.

I think MSGO might be easier. I avoided it because I was worried my graphics card wouldn't be powerful enough, but now that I'm reading the description again it seems like you can just choose what you want to install.

Do you need Wrye Mash for MSGO?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

You don't have to add mods, but it's suggested, especially now that Ogg's megapack is part of the first few steps. Assuming everything goes correctly, you'll probably be able to skip much of the OP anyway.

open container posted:

Do you need Wrye Mash for MSGO?

MSGO includes TESTool which does pretty much the same thing.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

LtSmash posted:

Is there a mod that gives a small bit of skill up when you fail to use a skill? That's my big gripe with the game right now.

Leveling stealth is pretty easy. You get points for going unnoticed, the easiest way to get it up is to crouch in the corner of the excise office behind the guard captain and walk into the wall for 15 minutes. I found that I couldn't hide worth poo poo until I got stealth pretty high. At 45ish I can sneak past enemies pretty reliably but pickpocketing is still dicey.

This mod changes the leveling system so that you gain the majority of your experience from your failures rather than successes. Dunno if it'll work with an already in progress game. The description doesn't mention anything about stealth or pickpocketing skills though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

If anything's changed, I suppose earlier I was just farting around Seyda Neen and Balmora and the area in between just trying to figure out what there is to do even; since then I've developed more of an idea of what I want to accomplish (a harsh contrast to Skyrim which is just constantly shoving things to do in your face).

Morrowind is a game that you get out what you put in to the game. The people who like it despite its many flaws have probably put a lot into the game. It is suggested as being better than Oblivion because of the fact that it is such a harsh contrast to that game, and probably Skyrim - it really, really wants you to just explore the world, to the point where it doesn't even really push you onto the plot in the way Oblivion or Skyrim do with having the tutorial character generator being the first plot point.

It is really a true "role playing" game, in that it really wants you to like get immersed in the world, you have to ask NPCs for directions and use the map you get with the game to figure out what they are talking about, and you have to ask NPCs what is going on in the world, and you have to care about that, because the game doesn't have much to do in terms of "I'm going to create a character and dick around for a bit" - you kind of have to get invested. There is so much depth that is just not in the next two games (I haven't played Skyrim though since my computer is pretty old) and isn't really shoved in the players face so you don't notice it unless you care, the warring political and religion factions, the guilds that are fighting, there is like rampant disease that people worry about, there are hidden factions and hidden places. All the books have unique things to say, while the books in Oblivion were just copy-pasted chunks of the books in this game, and the books in this game usually have a bit of world-generating lore, although I honestly only read the ones the game gave me and said "Hey read these". It also really encourages exploration, there is stuff tucked away everywhere that you just stumble across - there is a giant warhammer called "The Banhammer" out in the middle of the ocean near the eastern side of the island, there is the mudcrab merchant and that lady who gives you the quest for the Boots of Blinding Speed - you miss a lot of stuff if you just fast travel everywhere and try to truck through the plot without caring about the game.

I can understand that people don't like it, it is not a perfect game, it isn't even "a really good game" from a technical point, especially now - but if you care about what is going on then you can get sucked in to it. I would say it is a true role playing game while Oblivion is more like an action adventure game, and all the stuff this game has is only talked about in Oblivion. It is one of my favorite video games which is why I wrote this huge spergy post about it as well.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 11, 2012