Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Quick, before he comes back!
There was a DOS game I had as a child, you ran about a warehouse/bunker type place, collecting bits of vehicles to put together. You did logic puzzles to get them, then put them together into a working vehicle to race or challenge a mad professor type dude. Anyone have a clue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Deadcell27 posted:

There was a DOS game I had as a child, you ran about a warehouse/bunker type place, collecting bits of vehicles to put together. You did logic puzzles to get them, then put them together into a working vehicle to race or challenge a mad professor type dude. Anyone have a clue?

That's the science-gadget Super Solvers game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My sister sent me this email:

"What was that old game we played [around 1996-2000]? Ok so it was one of those games kind of like myst where you can't see yourself. There was a city under a glass dome that I never got into. You could use magic and there were no dungeons or really enemies that I remember."

When I asked if it was Death Gate, she responded with:

"It didn't have inventory. And i don't think it was point and click the same way monkey island was"

Seems like the 'glass city' is the only notable thing she remembers.

Edit: I think it may have been partial typing. Like 'throw fireball' sort of game. And it's like just where you don't see you, or an inventory or anything.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 1, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Morpheus posted:

My sister sent me this email:

"What was that old game we played [around 1996-2000]? Ok so it was one of those games kind of like myst where you can't see yourself. There was a city under a glass dome that I never got into. You could use magic and there were no dungeons or really enemies that I remember."

When I asked if it was Death Gate, she responded with:

"It didn't have inventory. And i don't think it was point and click the same way monkey island was"

Seems like the 'glass city' is the only notable thing she remembers.

That sounds like Loom. http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/loom

Well, assuming she's misremembering half of that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

redmercer posted:

That sounds like Loom. http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/loom

Well, assuming she's misremembering half of that.

Most definitely not Loom, though that's what I thought too. We played the hell out of that at least half a dozen times.

New info:

I think it may have been partial typing. Like 'throw fireball' sort of game. And it's like just where you don't see you, or an inventory or anything.

Why we were playing a text-parser game in 1996, I have no idea.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Okay, I do not have much to go on here except a very vague childhood memory, however I had a game for the playstation 1, it allowed one to initially select three different characters, who had unrelated stories. One involved going outside and fighting some monsters (I always died), and another involved some girl, and pushing around statues (never solved the puzzle).

I really want to know what was up with this game, however can't even begin to guess what it could be. The style was pretty spritey from what I recall. It was also in english.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
Wild Arms?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Wild Arms seems pretty close, I will have to check it out and report back.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Most definitely not Loom, though that's what I thought too. We played the hell out of that at least half a dozen times.

New info:

I think it may have been partial typing. Like 'throw fireball' sort of game. And it's like just where you don't see you, or an inventory or anything.

Why we were playing a text-parser game in 1996, I have no idea.

Even if it wasn't Death Gate, I would lean toward it being one of the Legend Entertainment titles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_Entertainment

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Survival horror game on playstation I think. You started out infiltrating a flying fortress of some kind. Thats all I remember.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was it first or third person? If it's first person it could be BRAHMA Force or Epidemic. Third person maybe Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix or Galerians.

reignofevil posted:

Wild Arms seems pretty close, I will have to check it out and report back.

If it's not Wild Arms (you don't get to choose a character at the beginning), it may be Saga Frontier or its sequel games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivfOgAHNyho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgxzwOHK4_Y
You should check out any of the Saga games in general. They all are sort of JPRGs in that they look like them and have turns and HP and skills and stuff, but they all have really crazy battle systems compared to any other JRPG and tend to be much less linear. Like in Romancing Saga (this one only came out in Japan on the SNES but the PS2 remake came out here) you can pretty much travel anywhere right after you leave your character's starting point.

It may also be the similarly named but unrelated Thousand Arms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRpPBQMmIQ

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 7, 2012

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009
No, I remember playing that Wild Arms game where you got to choose one of 3 chars at the start and then when it played through each of their starter stories it started the main game proper.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shardok posted:

No, I remember playing that Wild Arms game where you got to choose one of 3 chars at the start and then when it played through each of their starter stories it started the main game proper.

You're correct, I was thinking of the PS2 remake. :downs:

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Neo Rasa posted:

Was it first or third person? If it's first person it could be BRAHMA Force or Epidemic. Third person maybe Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix or Galerians.

It was third person. Fixed cameras like Resident Evil.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rikimaru posted:

It was third person. Fixed cameras like Resident Evil.

Fade to Black, maybe?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't remember much here, but this was a game where you built towers on floating islands that shot at each other. I think it was almost all multiplayer, and it was magic-themed. There was definitely a crossbow tower that had less range than the other towers but could shoot in an arc instead of a straight line. It might have been free. I think I played it for a while in 2006 or so.
I don't remember if it was any good or not, but it keeps bugging me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

James Garfield posted:

I don't remember much here, but this was a game where you built towers on floating islands that shot at each other. I think it was almost all multiplayer, and it was magic-themed. There was definitely a crossbow tower that had less range than the other towers but could shoot in an arc instead of a straight line. It might have been free. I think I played it for a while in 2006 or so.

That's probably NetStorm.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Ok two games have been bugging me for forever.

The first was an animated PC adventure game where a mother and daughter are walking through some woods and a portal opens up beneath them. Then later you get a mirror and if you walk the wrong way out of town you get instantly killed or something. I watched my friend play it in 96 or 97.

The second was a PS1 game where you were the adopted daughter of some aliens I think. You lived in this house and townspeople would try to enter to see what the deal was with your creepy parents. You could set traps and depending on how you handled the intruders it changed the story maybe?

A little vague but hopefully someone remembers these games. Thanks in advance.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ybrik posted:

The first was an animated PC adventure game where a mother and daughter are walking through some woods and a portal opens up beneath them. Then later you get a mirror and if you walk the wrong way out of town you get instantly killed or something. I watched my friend play it in 96 or 97.

King's Quest 7?

Ybrik posted:

The second was a PS1 game where you were the adopted daughter of some aliens I think. You lived in this house and townspeople would try to enter to see what the deal was with your creepy parents. You could set traps and depending on how you handled the intruders it changed the story maybe?

Tecmo's Deception or its sequel, Kagero?

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

James Garfield posted:

Almost definitely NetStorm:Islands at War

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

King's Quest 7?

Tecmo's Deception or its sequel, Kagero?

It's a yes on Kagero so thanks for that.

It's not Kings quest 7 it was animated kinda like Curse of Monkey Island except not quite as well. I wanna say it was broken up into levels with the second being a town and the fifth at nighttime around some mountains or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A few days ago someone posted some gif of an incredibly violent sort of side-scrolling racing game where your dude violently falls apart as you gently caress up. Was a flash game or something... help me out???

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Baronjutter posted:

A few days ago someone posted some gif of an incredibly violent sort of side-scrolling racing game where your dude violently falls apart as you gently caress up. Was a flash game or something... help me out???

That would be Happy Wheels. Also violently falling apart isn't so much loving up as it is an inevitability.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

Ybrik posted:

It's a yes on Kagero so thanks for that.

It's not Kings quest 7 it was animated kinda like Curse of Monkey Island except not quite as well. I wanna say it was broken up into levels with the second being a town and the fifth at nighttime around some mountains or something.

With that description you made it sound even more like King's Quest 7.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ybrik posted:

Pretty certain that's King's Quest 7.

Man, I've forgotten how poorly animated this game was (at least in cutscenes). It looks like something from a Zelda CD-i game.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Somehow read kings quest 7 yet searched for Ultima 7 :sweatdrop: Thanks a lot guys.

total fecal
May 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It was an RPG, either for the Genesis or Super Nintendo. I think the intro screen had a picture of a world map or a continent, and I know you saw a world map before you started playing. When you were in a town, you could see all the sprites of your party members and they followed you, instead of it being like most RPGs where you only see the leader's sprite. I THINK the dungeons were side-scrolling and unreasonably difficult, but that could have been another game. If anybody can figure this out I'll be amazed, because I've looked for eight years.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

total fecal posted:

It was an RPG, either for the Genesis or Super Nintendo. I think the intro screen had a picture of a world map or a continent, and I know you saw a world map before you started playing. When you were in a town, you could see all the sprites of your party members and they followed you, instead of it being like most RPGs where you only see the leader's sprite. I THINK the dungeons were side-scrolling and unreasonably difficult, but that could have been another game. If anybody can figure this out I'll be amazed, because I've looked for eight years.
Sounds rather like Exile.

total fecal
May 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sombrerotron posted:

Sounds rather like Exile.

oh my god

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
1) Was kind of like progress quest, except more interactive. You'd customize your characters gear, stats etc and then watch it go through a dungeon with sprite graphics, repeat ad nauseum.

2) Was an indie top down space game where you travelled around with your ship, purchased upgrades, battled, etc. It had multiple star systems that you accessed via warp gates if I remember correctly. The one identifying thing I remember is that there was a sort of boxed in arena in one of the last star systems where you duelled other ships, and that this was an early open beta version. I probably played it around 07-08?

Both are PC. This ring any bells for anyone?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

THE PWNER posted:

2) Was an indie top down space game where you travelled around with your ship, purchased upgrades, battled, etc. It had multiple star systems that you accessed via warp gates if I remember correctly. The one identifying thing I remember is that there was a sort of boxed in arena in one of the last star systems where you duelled other ships, and that this was an early open beta version. I probably played it around 07-08?

I'm going to suggest Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters, not because I think that's right, but to get it out of the way.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

HoldYourFire posted:

I'm going to suggest Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters, not because I think that's right, but to get it out of the way.

I know all about games similar to my description, I'm just hoping to find this one and see how far it's come since I last played it.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
The game I'm thinking of was on the NES and had a 2nd or 3rd stage where you're on a raft going up a river and the end boss was a giant alligator or something. View point was similar to that of a shmup but as far as I know, the rest are side scroller levels. Never actually beat this game.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

THE PWNER posted:

1) Was kind of like progress quest, except more interactive. You'd customize your characters gear, stats etc and then watch it go through a dungeon with sprite graphics, repeat ad nauseum.

Both are PC. This ring any bells for anyone?

NPC Quest and maybe Trancendence?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Okay, this has been bothering me for a while. I couldn't actually read a whole lot of English at the time, so I can't really say much about the game, other than the basic gameplay stuff.

-PC game from the mid-1990s.
-Featured on some kinda game demo cd for Windows 95 (along with Doom and some other titles).
-Slightly angled top-down view, like in an RTS.
-You had this underground hangar, where you had four different vehicles: A tank, a jeep, a helicopter and a fourth one. The vehicle selection menu was a cutout of the hangar, and when you chose the vehicle, an animation showed it being lifted from the hangar.
-The gameplay consisted of driving said vehicle around and shooting stuff.
-You could pretty much roam the map freely and destroy whatever and fight anyone.
-I think it was some sort of semi-tropical setting with water, sand, forests and enemy troops.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Suleman posted:

Okay, this has been bothering me for a while. I couldn't actually read a whole lot of English at the time, so I can't really say much about the game, other than the basic gameplay stuff.

-PC game from the mid-1990s.
-Featured on some kinda game demo cd for Windows 95 (along with Doom and some other titles).
-Slightly angled top-down view, like in an RTS.
-You had this underground hangar, where you had four different vehicles: A tank, a jeep, a helicopter and a fourth one. The vehicle selection menu was a cutout of the hangar, and when you chose the vehicle, an animation showed it being lifted from the hangar.
-The gameplay consisted of driving said vehicle around and shooting stuff.
-You could pretty much roam the map freely and destroy whatever and fight anyone.
-I think it was some sort of semi-tropical setting with water, sand, forests and enemy troops.
Return Fire. One of the most asked-about games in this sort of thread, too!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

Return Fire. One of the most asked-about games in this sort of thread, too!

Thanks! I was pretty sure it had been asked before, but the thread is a bit intimidating to read through.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

wb posted:

NPC Quest and maybe Trancendence?

You got both of them. Thanks a lot :)

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
An SNES RPG. The only things I remember about it were;
One, dungeon exploration was a first-person maze sort of thing, like Wizardry.
Two, the magic system was based off of cards you bought or found. Use more of them for a more powerful effect.

And lastly I don't know why, but I recall that stat-boosting items were named (something) honey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

An SNES RPG. The only things I remember about it were;
One, dungeon exploration was a first-person maze sort of thing, like Wizardry.
Two, the magic system was based off of cards you bought or found. Use more of them for a more powerful effect.

And lastly I don't know why, but I recall that stat-boosting items were named (something) honey.

Arcana?

• Locked thread