Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

FogHelmut posted:

Hmm. I mentioned earlier in the thread that when I preordered mine through Sprint, I asked if they would match an affiliate price. They said they did not, as the contract would be through the affiliate, and support would also go through the affiliate. Does Amazon have a different deal than someone like Wirefly? Do you pay your bill to Sprint, or through Amazon? I don't know how this stuff works. I would like to save $85 though.

Any phone with a Sprint logo is supported by Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

FogHelmut posted:

Hmm. I mentioned earlier in the thread that when I preordered mine through Sprint, I asked if they would match an affiliate price. They said they did not, as the contract would be through the affiliate, and support would also go through the affiliate. Does Amazon have a different deal than someone like Wirefly? Do you pay your bill to Sprint, or through Amazon? I don't know how this stuff works. I would like to save $85 though.
Same here, do tell.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

FogHelmut posted:

I have 5 lines on Sprint. Some of my phones I purchased from Best Buy (EVO, iPhone 4S, and a EVO 3D), others from Amazon (Epic Touch), and even one from Radio Shack (EVO Shift). It doesn't matter where you buy your phone. Sprint treats them just like you purchased in a Sprint store.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Cool, thanks. I got my Touch Pro through an upgrade at Best Buy way back when, but I couldn't remember if it altered my plan in any way.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I have 5 lines on Sprint. Some of my phones I purchased from Best Buy (EVO, iPhone 4S, and a EVO 3D), others from Amazon (Epic Touch), and even one from Radio Shack (EVO Shift). It doesn't matter where you buy your phone. Sprint treats them just like you purchased in a Sprint store.

Sweet. Now I need to determine if this message just means it's for pre-order and not yet available, or if it means I wont necessarily get a phone next Friday.

amazon posted:

Please note that the item you just added to your cart is currently out of stock or has limited availability and may delay the shipment of your order. We will ship your entire order once all items are back in stock.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I misread the activation fee waiver, it's only on new lines of service. Still, the phone itself is $149 at Amazon vs. $199 at Sprint.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Sweet. Now I need to determine if this message just means it's for pre-order and not yet available, or if it means I wont necessarily get a phone next Friday.

My order confirmation email had an estimated delivery date of 5/22.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I'm part of an Everything 1500 family plan already, so on the Amazon preorder page I select Upgrade part of a family plan, and then re-select the Everything 1500 on the next page, right?

Why is it even asking me about plan changes, instead of just asking for my number and looking it up on their end (with the assumption I want to keep my plan as is)? I'm worried that I might somehow lose my corporate discount by renewing through Amazon.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

nate fisher posted:

This is true UNLESS you're on EPRP or SERO/SERO premium. Just wanted to head off confusion before it starts.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I was charged a $35 exchange fee both times I did this (I'm on my 3rd Evo due to these charging ports.) The Sprint rep told me that it would be no charge if I went through HTC rather than Sprint, which could leave you without a phone for a time, though I'm not sure how HTC's process works.

Go to a different store, that's bullshit for an Evo charging port. If he selects the correct ID issue in his system it waived the fee. Note that is only for specific issues like that and not for everything that we can waive it. I'll get you the ID sometime today so you have it hopefully.

And on amazon and other resellers, as long as you don't have EPRP or SERO you can buy a sprint phone through any authorized reseller. Amazon usually has cheaper prices by a combo of extra contract, no physical store, and not having to pay commission to an in store employee. Sprint stores are still obligated to serve you completely, and in tech center cases like mine I still get paid a smaller (much smaller) amount for tech service.

It's worth noting I am more likely to go out of my way for customers who bought for me vs best buy on sticky issues (like how bad a screen is) but that's the only real downer I could think of.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 11, 2012

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Since we're on the subject of Amazon: Don't they have an additional ETF you're responsible for on top of the one from Sprint?

And if you get Sprint to waive your ETF, I'm assuming you're still on the hook for the Amazon one?

Because I'm finally ready to jump ship with Sprint if I can get out cheaply. Their network was slow, but acceptable, up until about the last 7 or 8 months as it became increasingly saturated with users upgrading to bargain Androids. I've been with them for years, but Network Vision won't be out here for quite a while and the constant nickle-and-dime fee increases have put even my 25% discounted line within spitting distance of an ATT/Verizon plan. Granted, the data won't be unlimited, but ICS's neat little data usage tracker is showing me using only a few MBs a day on "unlimited" because being off wifi is almost unbearably slow.

The final straw is that now I'm missing calls left and right. I don't even get a missed call notification - the only way I know is if they leave a voicemail or text me. And I have 3-4 bars in my apartment. Flashed over to a VZW PRL for the week, which fixed my missed call issue and gave me literally over one hundred times faster 3G. Went from ~150 kbps (which is slower than my drat ISDN line from the 90's for fucks sake) to 2100+.

Basically I'm tired of paying a somewhat discounted rate for a smartphone plan that might as well not even have data. I purposely adjusted my morning run to go by as many open wifi networks as possible because Sprint is just That Bad up here in Erie.

It just sucks because I really don't like Verizon or (especially) ATT. They're like the poster children for everything that's wrong with 21st century American business.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Go to a different store, that's bullshit for an Evo charging port. If he selects the correct ID issue in his system it waived the fee. Note that is only for specific issues like that and not for everything that we can waive it. I'll get you the ID sometime today so you have it hopefully.

And on amazon and other resellers, as long as you don't have EPRP or SERO you can buy a sprint phone through any authorized reseller. Amazon usually has cheaper prices by a combo of extra contract, no physical store, and not having to pay commission to an in store employee. Sprint stores are still obligated to serve you completely, and in tech center cases like mine I still get paid a smaller (much smaller) amount for tech service.

It's worth noting I am more likely to go out of my way for customers who bought for me vs best buy on sticky issues (like how bad a screen is) but that's the only real downer I could think of.

That is good to know, thanks.

Leathal posted:

Because I'm finally ready to jump ship with Sprint if I can get out cheaply. Their network was slow, but acceptable, up until about the last 7 or 8 months as it became increasingly saturated with users upgrading to bargain Androids.

Speaking of slow, my 3G was going at sub-dialup speeds today at lunch --- 45kbps. This is in Center City Philadelphia. I hate to turn on 4G because of the battery drain, but that was getting a more than reasonable 11468 kbps. Now I'm getting 600kbps on 3G which is what it should be. This thing is unusable every day at lunchtime, however.

And I just realized I'm upgrading to a phone that will only have this 3G until who knows when the LTE network is rolled out here.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Ahh, found the Amazon Wireless general FAQ which lays out some of the questions asked:

http://wireless.amazon.com/help/200307850/

Here are some of the more interesting tidbits:

Return policy, including ETF info

quote:

If I currently receive a corporate employee discount with my cell phone contract, can I still upgrade it at AmazonWireless?

If your current account is under personal liability (you pay for the service), you may upgrade with us. However, after a successful upgrade we encourage you to check with your carrier to ensure the employee discount remains on the account.

quote:

I’m already paying for a plan with my carrier. Why am I asked to choose another plan during the ordering process? Am I going to be charged more?

When you upgrade an individual line of service, you'll choose a new plan based on the carrier’s current plan offerings. The new plan will replace your existing plan; any differences in the plan price will be reflected on your monthly bill from the carrier.

quote:

I need a new phone, but my line isn't eligible for an upgrade. Another line in my family account is eligible. Can I get a new phone for my line by using the upgrade of the other line in my family account?

While carriers may offer the option to swap upgrades between different lines on the same family account, this option isn't available through AmazonWireless. Phones purchased from AmazonWireless must remain on the line upgraded for 181 days. If you move the device to an alternate line within the first 181 days, you'd be subject to additional charges by AmazonWireless of up to $250 (per phone), plus applicable taxes.
Edit: To go into further details about the 181 days:
http://wireless.amazon.com/help/200364580/
"This policy does not apply to prepaid phones, phones sold without service and Sprint devices."

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 11, 2012

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have had the famous Citibank discount for over 10 years. Buying from Amazon never changed it.

The thing about a picking a different plan and it changing all lines, is pretty much the same no matter where you go (if I'm understanding that correctly).

About transferring lines I can't speak for Amazon. But I have left Best Buy with a new phone, and transferred lines within minutes of going out the door. I will buy a iPhone 5 this fall with wife's upgrade and transfer it that night to my line (giving her my 4S and giving my son the 3D). I move phones all the time between my lines. That said the phone I got from Amazon has been on the same line since purchase (over a year ago).

I am curious how would Amazon know you changed lines? Sprint would have to tell them is the only way I could think of.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 11, 2012

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

nate fisher posted:

I am curious how would Amazon know you changed lines? Sprint would have to tell them is the only way I could think of.
Turns out they don't check the 181 day activation thing for Sprint devices - I edited my post up above.
http://wireless.amazon.com/help/200364580/
"This policy does not apply to prepaid phones, phones sold without service and Sprint devices."

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

FogHelmut posted:

Speaking of slow, my 3G was going at sub-dialup speeds today at lunch --- 45kbps. This is in Center City Philadelphia. I hate to turn on 4G because of the battery drain, but that was getting a more than reasonable 11468 kbps. Now I'm getting 600kbps on 3G which is what it should be. This thing is unusable every day at lunchtime, however.

And I just realized I'm upgrading to a phone that will only have this 3G until who knows when the LTE network is rolled out here.

Yeah, I'd hate to blame the iPhone for the data issues because the Sprint network was already starting to bog down by the end of my Pre's lifecycle, but it fell straight off a cliff after iOS showed up.

I WILL blame the iPhone for the constant nickle and dime fee increases over the past few months though!

And thanks, SpelledBackwards, for the Amazon ETF info. I guess that means I'm free to go wherever; soon as I price out plans and devices. I wish I could figure out a way to stay with Sprint, but I feel like I'm on the government cheese of wireless carriers at this point.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Leathal posted:

And thanks, SpelledBackwards, for the Amazon ETF info. I guess that means I'm free to go wherever; soon as I price out plans and devices. I wish I could figure out a way to stay with Sprint, but I feel like I'm on the government cheese of wireless carriers at this point.

Well I'm right there with you. I've been on Sprint since 2002 and I've been pretty happy with it for the majority of that time but the last few months, in particular, have been miserable. Data connection has always been unusable in my home but manageable since I can just get on Wi-Fi but starting the last month or so things have also gotten super sketchy at work. Data is actually more useable than it is at home but voice is practically unusable and text messages sometimes take an hour or more to go through. Also I'll get voice-mails and never realize that I missed a call to begin with.

I'm really hoping that it is a temporary issue at work because I hate both AT&T and Verizon and with T-mobile I think I'd have to make some sacrifices on my plan (though I'd save a little money) so I'm not 100% happy with any of my options.

Perhaps I'll get lucky and Sprint will just get their poo poo together in the next two months...

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I still wonder why Sprint sells their network for use with Boost, Virgin, Cricket, and other 3rd parties when their data and voice capacity seems strained as is. It was why I finally killed my line, though I still own the four others in my family plan. We have had times where we couldn't get a voice call out to save our lives, and even now callers have to wait for 5 rings before our sprint phones begin to ring. It is a mess.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
I recently paid Sprint to repair a phone and got a refurb for $35. It looks like they automatically signed me up for TEP. How much of a hassle is it going to be to get them to take this off? Would they do it through the chat? I would like to avoid speaking to a human if possible,

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I think you can do it online through your account portal.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

sanchez posted:

I think you can do it online through your account portal.

You can definitely do it online. I just removed TEP from my wife's phone since she now qualifies for a $150 rebate, and it took all of 2 minutes to do it.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

kahm posted:

So I'm up for upgrade in November. I'm trying to buy out my contract to get my upgrade moved up to now, but employee care is telling me that there's no way to do this. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I thought that anyone could buyout the remainder of their contract and then get their upgrade reset. Is this not true? Any tips on what I could do to get my upgrade reset? They told me it was 'picked by the system randomly' who was eligible.

Edit: Called again, they said it was based on 'market' (??), talked to his supervisor, did it for me. Nice!

Just in case anyone else has questions like this, the official answer is you can qualify for this promotion if you live in one of the selected markets at this time, with that you're supposed to go to a local corp store and they take care of the rest in a really round about way behind the scenes. Unofficially Acct svcs has a save offer for the buy out. On the customer care side of things they recently told customer care to not transfer to acct svcs if someone mentions a buy out. They also have a save offer for upgrade/activation fees but whatever you're not supposed to know about those either.

PTrexitus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 11, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

That is good to know, thanks.

Hi fellow Philadelphia goon.

Overall I have been extremely frustrated with data speeds, and even today steaming music while driving from Philly to west Chester was just a no go, when I used to never have a problem (the way back was fine). The weird thing is my apartment is great comparatively (others posting speeds inspired me to check). I am getting 1-2MB 3G speeds on my phone. Crazy.

Fyi Philly network vision is set to be 50% done by end of the year, 100% in just about a year (they talked about it in a meeting last month). Not sure if that is the cause for my speeds, but just general fyi.

I'm taking a trip to St louis via car this week, I'll do a bunch of speed tests since I'll be bored in the car along the way.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Did Sprint change their SERO premium policy? It's not allowing me to upgrade online from an Arrive to a Nexus S. I guess I'll try calling the number in the OP.

Edit: Holy crap the employee number is awesome. I didn't even have wait to speak to a human and he was actually knowledgeable!

mcpringles fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 12, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZeroAX posted:

Did Sprint change their SERO premium policy? It's not allowing me to upgrade online from an Arrive to a Nexus S. I guess I'll try calling the number in the OP.

Edit: Holy crap the employee number is awesome. I didn't even have wait to speak to a human and he was actually knowledgeable!

Just hope you never need help during a big phone lauch, when sprint has a big phone launch they always move employee care to sales support. For two weeks after the iPhone launched it was like a 15 minute wait to talk to anyone (not really complaining).

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Duckman2008 posted:

Overall I have been extremely frustrated with data speeds, and even today steaming music while driving from Philly to west Chester was just a no go, when I used to never have a problem (the way back was fine). The weird thing is my apartment is great comparatively (others posting speeds inspired me to check). I am getting 1-2MB 3G speeds on my phone. Crazy.

Fyi Philly network vision is set to be 50% done by end of the year, 100% in just about a year (they talked about it in a meeting last month). Not sure if that is the cause for my speeds, but just general fyi.

I'm taking a trip to St louis via car this week, I'll do a bunch of speed tests since I'll be bored in the car along the way.

What part of St. Louis are you coming to?

STL Metro Area Native here! :)

Edit: Does it matter which kind of Sprint Store? This one is listed as a repair center.

Retailers near you
1) Sprint Store By Marshall Wireless

1911 Vaughn Rd
Wood River, IL 62095
(618) 258-8200
This is a ReadyNow store

Sales
Repair
Se Habla Espaņol
Bill Payment
4G Experience

Krime fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 12, 2012

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, since you told me that my EVO charger charge was bullshit, I'll mention I went to the store in Center City - 17th near Market. If I recall, they gave me the option of going through HTC instead for no charge. In any case, the phone is gone in a week.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Seriously, :psyduck:

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Yup. Sprint sent me an email asking why I canceled one of my lines, I am tempted to send them a speedtest screenshot in return.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sirbeefalot posted:

Seriously, :psyduck:

Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't:

(one tiny little dot worth of signal)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm guessing 8 am on a Saturday morning is off peak hours.

I have WiFi at home anyway, so who cares what my speed is here.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Heh, you guys make me feel better about often not having 3G when I go indoors.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The grass isn't always greener, I just did a side by side test with my Sprint Evo and my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Over 5 tests, the Evo was faster in 3g than the Nexus (though not by much). Granted, they were both pretty terrible, averaging about 350kbps

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Before I had said I was dead set on ditching Sprint for an unlocked Nexus for pre-paid, but I found out VZW is turning on LTE here on May 17th...and the VZW GNex is only $50, compared to $100 for Sprint ($150 Amazon and $50 Google Wallet credit.)

Keeping Sprint means there's no hassle with changing my number...though the whole GV integration confuses me...I think if I ditched Sprint, I'd have to get a new number from VZW/pre-paid, and then pay to port that to my GV number if I wanted to keep using it as before with the same number.

But on the other hand, there's no word on when Sprint's LTE will get here, and maybe the Network Vision stuff to get better 3G will arrive within the year...maybe.

Ring of Light
Sep 3, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Before I had said I was dead set on ditching Sprint for an unlocked Nexus for pre-paid, but I found out VZW is turning on LTE here on May 17th...and the VZW GNex is only $50, compared to $100 for Sprint ($150 Amazon and $50 Google Wallet credit.)

Keeping Sprint means there's no hassle with changing my number...though the whole GV integration confuses me...I think if I ditched Sprint, I'd have to get a new number from VZW/pre-paid, and then pay to port that to my GV number if I wanted to keep using it as before with the same number.

But on the other hand, there's no word on when Sprint's LTE will get here, and maybe the Network Vision stuff to get better 3G will arrive within the year...maybe.

When I switched to Virgin Mobile prepaid I was able to port my number. Not sure if a major carrier would be able to port is back once it is at Virgin though.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Leathal posted:

I wish I could figure out a way to stay with Sprint, but I feel like I'm on the government cheese of wireless carriers at this point.

I was a HUGE Sprint fan, and they were my go-to carrier to sell out of VZW/ATT/Sprint at my store.

But ever since the $10 premium data per line, their laughable 4g service, and their horrible 3g speeds, it's just not worth it. I was amazed when I pulled 3 mbps on ATT 3g just driving down the road.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ring of Light posted:

When I switched to Virgin Mobile prepaid I was able to port my number. Not sure if a major carrier would be able to port is back once it is at Virgin though.

Yes, it's called a port out. They probably won't want to do it because it's more work than a port in but it's possible.

You just need your Sprint account number, phone number, and I think that's it (I may be missing something).

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I have an evo shift, the screen decided to become wacky and register random touches on its own over the last week. I've been in a super low humidity area when it happened (Vegas). Could this be the cause?

I ordered an off-contract GNex which is supposed to arrive Monday. I'll pay the $35 to get it repaired so I can sell it for $100 or whatever, but I have to do this before activating the new phone. Since this phone is no longer sold, they probably won't have it in stock to swap our. What's the likely replacement I'll get from sprint?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Man, if anyone was on the fence about 4ext recovery, that poo poo was so simple to use it was amazing. Put on the mean rom ICS version and it is working great so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
So what's the latest on the Evo 3D ICS image? Is it still loving up people's phones, or is that fixed?