Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I haven't had a landline in a decade so I'm rusty on this, but unless that's 3 lines or something I don't think it's a phone line (2 wires), and it's not cat5 Ethernet either, since that's 8 wires. If there's a (working) phone line in that set of wires, there should be 48V DC between some pair (when all phones on the line are on the hook), 6V when one or more is off the hook, and 9V when ringing.

You might get more help in this forum http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=210

edit: maybe this thread or even this one.

randyest fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
If the landlord says there's a phone line, and there isn't, you should get him to pay for the installation.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If the landlord says there's a phone line, and there isn't, you should get him to pay for the installation.

Heh, good luck with that!

There probably is one unless it's some weird place where no one had a phone over the last 100 years.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I could swear someone made a smilie of :parrot: and :black101:. It may have changed colors too. I cant find it in the purchased smilies and googling isnt giving me anything. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is everyone's favourite cable management solution for a computer desk area?

I am pretty tempted to try something like this. Any reasons I shouldn't or better ideas?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Heh, good luck with that!

There probably is one unless it's some weird place where no one had a phone over the last 100 years.

Well, yeah. I just think he should attempt it before trying to do it himself.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
What is the word for someone who takes advantage of a situation, not quite as advanced as an "opportunist"? For example, if my friends know I'm paying for dinner and then they are hitting up a little too much, and not being particularly grateful but not necessarily mooching since I offered. Not quite a freeloader because they don't impose but fully take advantage and are constantly on the look out for such.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Inconsiderate?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

2508084 posted:

Inconsiderate?

yes, but is there a more specific labeling noun as I feel freeloader and opportunist isn't quite right.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CatchrNdRy posted:

yes, but is there a more specific labeling noun as I feel freeloader and opportunist isn't quite right.
ingrate

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Pragmatist, possibly?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

CatchrNdRy posted:

What is the word for someone who takes advantage of a situation, not quite as advanced as an "opportunist"? For example, if my friends know I'm paying for dinner and then they are hitting up a little too much, and not being particularly grateful but not necessarily mooching since I offered. Not quite a freeloader because they don't impose but fully take advantage and are constantly on the look out for such.

? :haw:

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 10, 2012

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nighthand posted:

Pragmatist, possibly?

I like this.

Offering to pay for everyone and then being a grumpy gus because they get the BIG SALAD isn't cool. Unless you tell everyone they can't supersize in advance. Go with the gusto or just buy a round of drinks instead.

Seriously though, as stated above, it's probably "moocher."

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I like this.

Offering to pay for everyone and then being a grumpy gus because they get the BIG SALAD isn't cool. Unless you tell everyone they can't supersize in advance. Go with the gusto or just buy a round of drinks instead.

Seriously though, as stated above, it's probably "moocher."

Its not me I partook of the hospitality but my angry friend said I was the only grateful one. And kept asking me what a good word was. I didn't think there was one, but I figure why not ask the thread. Mooch works for me.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 16, 2012

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

Very Strange Things posted:

The gears probably need some 2-in-one oil; don't use wd40 it will inhibit the flow of steam.

Maybe the actual power button might have some gunk or moisture under it, so that when you are pressing it it thinks it is still being pressed down and giving itself a hard power-off? If you could open up the keyboard you could probably clean under there.
Shot in the dark; but just unplugging and plugging things back in will often get an older computer up and running again.

It's definitely not that. Basically what happens is when I first try turning it on it'll die as soon as the screen starts to turn on. Eventually I'm able to get past that but it dies when it tries to beep. Once it makes it past the beep things start loading, but if I try to use the WIN command (since it boots into MS-DOS) too fast then it'll die again. This process takes even longer when I have the battery plugged in. Is the problem possibly the power supply? It seems like it's a power issue since each time I start it it gets closer and closer to turning on, and once it's on all the way it stays on no problem.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

It's definitely not that. Basically what happens is when I first try turning it on it'll die as soon as the screen starts to turn on. Eventually I'm able to get past that but it dies when it tries to beep. Once it makes it past the beep things start loading, but if I try to use the WIN command (since it boots into MS-DOS) too fast then it'll die again. This process takes even longer when I have the battery plugged in. Is the problem possibly the power supply? It seems like it's a power issue since each time I start it it gets closer and closer to turning on, and once it's on all the way it stays on no problem.

It sounds like there's some kind of loose or warped connections in the computer, and the only thing that gets them to keep proper contact is leaving it on for progressively longer times, presumably because the connections stay better when heated.

You might consider opening up the device to see if there's anything that's obviously loose or cracked.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 16, 2012

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What's the best indoor HDTV antenna in terms of value? I'm looking at ditching FIOS TV. We live in the northern/central NJ area, the house is drywall and regular vinyl siding. Not sure what other factors come into play. We've got two 1080p 46" TVs with plenty of inputs, so we can use HDMI or component. Not sure if regular coax will do HD resolution.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

MJP posted:

What's the best indoor HDTV antenna in terms of value? I'm looking at ditching FIOS TV. We live in the northern/central NJ area, the house is drywall and regular vinyl siding. Not sure what other factors come into play. We've got two 1080p 46" TVs with plenty of inputs, so we can use HDMI or component. Not sure if regular coax will do HD resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

This is, honestly.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
How much should I tip a hair stylist on a $60 cut if he is also the owner of the salon?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

My boyfriend's physio lent him a TENS machine to use at home. Looking at the booklet I saw that it said it could not be sold in the US, and a bit of googling revealed that in America they are prescription-only. We're in Canada and could buy one off the internet if we wanted. What would happen if I ordered one, repacked it and mailed it to a friend in the US, and it got opened by Customs? Would it be confiscated? Would this get either of us set to Gitmo? :ohdear:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Drimble Wedge posted:

My boyfriend's physio lent him a TENS machine to use at home. Looking at the booklet I saw that it said it could not be sold in the US, and a bit of googling revealed that in America they are prescription-only. We're in Canada and could buy one off the internet if we wanted. What would happen if I ordered one, repacked it and mailed it to a friend in the US, and it got opened by Customs? Would it be confiscated? Would this get either of us set to Gitmo? :ohdear:

The would take it and send your friend a letter saying "you were attempted to import contraband, tough luck.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Liebfraumilch posted:

? :haw:

---
Reposting my question, hoping that it was casually overlooked rather than so stupid everyone is pretending it didn't happen out of mercy for me:

I am a complete kitten among geeks, but this inspired me to play around. I did IP information for a site and it said the resolve host was [whatever]. What is the resolve host? The servers that are currently holding it? It is being managed in some capacity by that company's servers?

I think that is just weird wording for saying that this is the information on the host you asked to resolve. What site did you use to look up the info?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
My Nexus S, AT&T model, just came back from Samsung support and they forgot to ship my battery with the phone. They are shipping me a new battery, but in the mean time can I go to say a sprint store and buy a battery for their model of the Nexus S to use in the interim? I would imagine so but I don't like to take chances with how sensitive some electronics and phones are these days.

I want to go to a different carrier store because, a) AT&T does not stock the Nexus S in their stores and, b) even if they did the AT&T stores are farther from me then others.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
It was [redacted]

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 14, 2012

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Liebfraumilch posted:

It was this thing, which includes the site I looked up, as well. I don't really know what to make of this information, because looking up "resolve host" dunks me in a sea of questions that don't seem to be the same as mine, and I am too ignorant to tell if that is the case.

I usually use Network Solutions WhoIs Lookup but that particular site has WHOIS guard that keeps you from seeing their info.

But from looking at both your site and the one I linked the "Resolve host" is just the IP address that the domain name resolved to.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

nesbit37 posted:

My Nexus S, AT&T model, just came back from Samsung support and they forgot to ship my battery with the phone. They are shipping me a new battery, but in the mean time can I go to say a sprint store and buy a battery for their model of the Nexus S to use in the interim? I would imagine so but I don't like to take chances with how sensitive some electronics and phones are these days.

I want to go to a different carrier store because, a) AT&T does not stock the Nexus S in their stores and, b) even if they did the AT&T stores are farther from me then others.

I am reasonably sure that it would fit, you might just ask at the store if you can try it so that you don't get all the way home and discover it does not.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drimble Wedge posted:

American here. TENS units are quite popular among the local kinky BDSM crowd, and for decidedly non-medical purposes. I've never heard anyone mention needing a prescription -- you just buy one from any of the thousand online shops that stock them.

Googling around, apparently some models are classed as medical devices, but plenty of others are over-the-counter and as legal as aspirin. I don't know what the difference is between the two types, though -- this is the first I've ever heard of the prescription thing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I want to create a simple online poll for people to vote on what games they want at a get-together. There are tons of sites that let you do this, but they all seem to only let you set the poll to allow either one or 'multiple' (infinite) selections. I want a poll where people can choose exactly two options. Is there any site that does this?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does anyone have any experience living in tiny houses such as the ones on display here: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com

If so, how was it?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Cicero posted:

I want to create a simple online poll for people to vote on what games they want at a get-together. There are tons of sites that let you do this, but they all seem to only let you set the poll to allow either one or 'multiple' (infinite) selections. I want a poll where people can choose exactly two options. Is there any site that does this?

Creat two identical polls and set them to a single vote, tell your guests to vote both of them.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

CatchrNdRy posted:

Protip: That's why you wait until the end of the meal to offer to pay and/or budget for/expect the highest price menu items * how many people. Also don't expect any gratefulness outside of a "thanks".

I know people can be dicks and take advantage of a free meal but you(someone) should either know how the people are and offer to pay with no expectation of some level of gratitude you have decided is enough and/or what level of consumption is 'hitting up'.

I get annoyed when people offer to insist on paying (especially beforehand) because of exactly that: I was planning on the surf and turf and a couple top shelf drinks but now I'll look like a dick.

E: And the term most fitting is probably: rear end in a top hat.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

How much should I tip a hair stylist on a $60 cut if he is also the owner of the salon?

Why would it matter? Would you tip more if you knew he was in debt up to his eyeballs and cutting hair himself to help keep the business afloat?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

dee eight posted:

Creat two identical polls and set them to a single vote, tell your guests to vote both of them.
Yeah, I thought of that, but there's two issues with it: it's clunky, and people could vote for the same thing twice. I guess that's not really a big deal though since it's not a serious poll.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of an Android App that will basically just let me mark TV episodes i have watched and rate them to keep track? I have found some similar things which will tell me when the next episode is on TV or some poo poo, but thats not what i want.

For instance i can go into the app and then find "The Simpsons" > Season 23 > Episode 1 > and then mark it 2 out of 5 or something so i can keep track of what episodes i have watched and liked/hated?

Or even just a website that does something similar?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Does anyone know of an Android App that will basically just let me mark TV episodes i have watched and rate them to keep track? I have found some similar things which will tell me when the next episode is on TV or some poo poo, but thats not what i want.

For instance i can go into the app and then find "The Simpsons" > Season 23 > Episode 1 > and then mark it 2 out of 5 or something so i can keep track of what episodes i have watched and liked/hated?

Or even just a website that does something similar?

I think Trakt will do this. They have a website and some 3rd party mobile clients.

TVShowFavs seems to be something similar too in an Android-only app.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 17, 2012

buzz wing wow
Aug 2, 2010
Does anyone know where I could buy these lollies online and shipping to Australia? Failing that, what they are called so I can search myself?

Thanks

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

buzz wing wow posted:

Does anyone know where I could buy these lollies online and shipping to Australia? Failing that, what they are called so I can search myself?

Thanks

Looks like Runts candy, but with more detail.

buzz wing wow
Aug 2, 2010
Ok I found an answer with a bit of detective work and for just under $100.00 plus shipping I can get 13.61 kilos of lollies hahah

http://www.thebigsweet.com/proddetail.php?prod=1622&cat=44

I might save up, but I'd need to get one of those massive dispensers like they used to have at supermarkets.

Anyone know where to get one of those?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Also see Nitwitz although I think Runts are more popular.

Edit: just do a search for "candy dispenser" i.e. http://www.amazon.com/Brookstone-CandyMan-Motion-Activated-Candy-Dispenser/dp/B003POD8O8 or seeing as you're in Oz http://tinyurl.com/84zv8yg

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 17, 2012

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Does anyone have a list of what the rootkit infected Sony CDs from about 7 years ago were? I only find incomplete lists on google and links to a sony site that no longer exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They changed payroll providers at work, and my take-home pay went up by a few dollars. They started excluding my 401k contributions from FICA.

Should I say something, or should I just keep the money and my mouth shut?