Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

mastershakeman posted:

All these e3d problems are making me glad I'm going to wait for the official ICS release for the phone. It can't come soon enough :I

My only concern is that it'll come with a new HBOOT. Or was the VM 3D already at 1.57?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Can HTC appeal or challenge this in any way since they have already complied?

Everyone I've talked to is speculating that they haven't complied with this one device, but that doesn't make sense as it's obviously made it into the US already. Wouldn't customs have stopped it before since I assume they checked before it entered the country the first time.

I'm sure customs never bothered to look until Apple started whining to create a delay.

sleepyinsomniac
Jun 18, 2004
zzzzz

FogHelmut posted:

From the ITC decision:

This is figuratively like patenting grammar, and literally complete bullshit. HTC has already complied with this order, and Apple is just being dicks because they can't handle competition.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. I was looking forward to the this phone too. If HTC fixed the violation, then this is very messed up. If they failed to, well, that's HTC's fault.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I know the Samsung Epic has had a bad reputation for good reasons for most of its life, but how is it today with latest updates, or with CM7 or 9 on it? Is it worthwhile to coast on until LTE is active in my city?

CM7 is rock solid, fast, and has amazing battery life. CM9 is coming along but I like the speed and battery life of CM7 too much to get the bells and whistles of CM9 [so far, things might change with further development]

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

tijag posted:

CM7 is rock solid, fast, and has amazing battery life. CM9 is coming along but I like the speed and battery life of CM7 too much to get the bells and whistles of CM9 [so far, things might change with further development]

I literally know squat about Android, I've never even used it yet. Is there someplace (I've been looking!) that lists what is and isn't working on the Epic with CM7 and 9?

Also, would an Epic with all the latest stock updates, with or without root, be a usable smartphone? Or are any issues persisting?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I literally know squat about Android, I've never even used it yet. Is there someplace (I've been looking!) that lists what is and isn't working on the Epic with CM7 and 9?

Also, would an Epic with all the latest stock updates, with or without root, be a usable smartphone? Or are any issues persisting?

Everything is working with CM7.

Completely 100% stable. Best ROM I have ever flashed by a really really wide margin.

I have no issues with my Epic, and at the moment I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting until the end of the year for Jellybean or at the very least A15 SoC's.

I would take the epic, root it, flash the most recent CM7 and Gapps [this is very very easy to do] and then not worry about it ever again.

CM9 looks great, and for people who love tweaking and flashing and seeing how the new stuff is going, its a pretty good experience. But its sluggish and the battery life is probably 50% of what I get out of CM7. Not worth it for a person who wants a good solid working smartphone.

http://epiccm.blogspot.com/p/cm7-status.html

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thank you very much! :)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I know the Samsung Epic has had a bad reputation for good reasons for most of its life, but how is it today with latest updates, or with CM7 or 9 on it?
It's pretty solid. It's easily the best community-supported WiMAX device on Sprint right now. The Nexus S 4G is better supported overall due to it being a Nexus device, but the gap between the two is pretty close these days.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Is it worthwhile to coast on until LTE is active in my city?
That's my plan. It's not a bad option if it's a device you can pick up for cheap. Again, the Nexus S 4G might be a better option, but if it's a $100 difference, then the Epic is definitely coast-able at this point.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Honestly stock kind of sucks. It's not egregiously horrible, for the most part everything works. But TouchWiz is bloated and doesn't run the best, and it's clear that the stock experience isn't going to improve anymore so there's no reason to ride it out on that.

The two big bugs left in stock are GPS still sucking (works fine in CM), and the keyboard skipping keypresses (also fixed in CM, and fixed in custom kernels for over a year, WTF Samsung).

tijag posted:

CM9 looks great, and for people who love tweaking and flashing and seeing how the new stuff is going, its a pretty good experience.... Not worth it for a person who wants a good solid working smartphone.
I'm of mixed opinion. It's true that CM9 is a bit more sluggish compared to CM7, although that's generally true of ICS vs GB on this hardware platform (e.g., Nexus S).

On the other hand, most Epic developers are actively developing for CM9 which gets fixes first, with occasional backports to CM7. I think the user experience of ICS/CM9 is sufficiently improved that it's at least worth trying, but if you do have battery life problems, going back to CM7 might be the answer.

tijag posted:

But its sluggish and the battery life is probably 50% of what I get out of CM7.
That's rough. I wouldn't say CM9 battery life is as good as CM7 for me, but it's probably 90% or so. Both are better than stock too.

CM9 battery drain appears to be an issue that some folks experience, but it's not consistent. The current thinking is that one of the GPS or Camera peripherals isn't being shutdown properly and might be contributing to it. I don't leave the GPS on myself, but it hasn't been an issue when I do use it. Do you regularly use either or both?

Also, CM9 beta3 contains a slew of fixes, one of which is an overhaul of the cpufreq code. If you never touched the "Performance" settings menu, it might not make a difference. But if you have, beta3 has fixed a bunch of cpufreq bugs that plague all Galaxy S hardware.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 16, 2012

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's pretty solid. It's easily the best community-supported WiMAX device on Sprint right now. The Nexus S 4G is better supported overall due to it being a Nexus device, but the gap between the two is pretty close these days.

That's my plan. It's not a bad option if it's a device you can pick up for cheap. Again, the Nexus S 4G might be a better option, but if it's a $100 difference, then the Epic is definitely coast-able at this point.

Honestly stock kind of sucks. It's not egregiously horrible, for the most part everything works. But TouchWiz is bloated and doesn't run the best, and it's clear that the stock experience isn't going to improve anymore so there's no reason to ride it out on that.

The two big bugs left in stock are GPS still sucking (works fine in CM), and the keyboard skipping keypresses (also fixed in CM, and fixed in custom kernels for over a year, WTF Samsung).

I'm of mixed opinion. It's true that CM9 is a bit more sluggish compared to CM7, although that's generally true of ICS vs GB on this hardware platform (e.g., Nexus S).

On the other hand, most Epic developers are actively developing for CM9 which gets fixes first, with occasional backports to CM7. I think the user experience of ICS/CM9 is sufficiently improved that it's at least worth trying, but if you do have battery life problems, going back to CM7 might be the answer.

That's rough. I wouldn't say CM9 battery life is as good as CM7 for me, but it's probably 90% or so. Both are better than stock too.

CM9 battery drain appears to be an issue that some folks experience, but it's not consistent. The current thinking is that one of the GPS or Camera peripherals isn't being shutdown properly and might be contributing to it. I don't leave the GPS on myself, but it hasn't been an issue when I do use it. Do you regularly use either or both?

Also, CM9 beta3 contains a slew of fixes, one of which is an overhaul of the cpufreq code. If you never touched the "Performance" settings menu, it might not make a difference. But if you have, beta3 has fixed a bunch of cpufreq bugs that plague all Galaxy S hardware.

Yeah, I might nandroid this and flash the new CM9 beta. I've heard good things. Beta 2 wasn't nearly enough for me to leave CM7 though.

Thanks for your awesome and thorough response.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don't think I've seen this yet unless I'm blind, but early upgrades are going away.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't think I've seen this yet unless I'm blind, but early upgrades are going away.

So when do we start making bets on the next Sprint perk to be removed or price to be increased?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

datajosh posted:

So when do we start making bets on the next Sprint perk to be removed or price to be increased?

I don't see unlimited data hanging around much longer, honestly...

They'll keep it for a while, since Verizon just announced that people who previously were grandfathered in on unlimited data NO LONGER WILL BE if they change plans or phones in any way. So they advertise the unlimited data aggressively, see how many jump ship from VZW, then wait a year before introducing their economical data plans to help you save money! :v:

The data plan will now only cost $20!*

*For the lowest tier, up to 2 gigs, no LTE.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
This upgrade thing made me go double check mine. Funny thing is the line I used last October to upgrade to the iPhone 4S is showing a upgrade date on 3/1/11. It is like they never counted my upgrade to the iPhone 4S against it. The rest are right (5/1/12, 12/1/12, 3/1/13, and 4/1/13), but what the hell is up with 3/1/11?

I am tempted to take advantage of it and pick up another iPhone 4S, but I am afraid they will figure it out and take my 5/1/12 (which is correct) away from me down the road (I am saving it for iPhone 5).

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sleepyinsomniac posted:

Don't hate the player, hate the game. I was looking forward to the this phone too. If HTC fixed the violation, then this is very messed up. If they failed to, well, that's HTC's fault.

That's ridiculous. An ability to do something is not a justification for doing it. Apple makes a choice to pursue frivolous bullshit that stomps competition unfairly and adversely impacts consumers.

I wonder how much Steve Jobs's poisoned, bitter, and angry mind was a catalyst of this petty bullshit (especially given their recent make-peace with Samsung) in pursuit of his asinine holy war against Android.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ehonna_disco posted:

That's ridiculous. An ability to do something is not a justification for doing it. Apple makes a choice to pursue frivolous bullshit that stomps competition unfairly and adversely impacts consumers.

I wonder how much Steve Jobs's poisoned, bitter, and angry mind was a catalyst of this petty bullshit (especially given their recent make-peace with Samsung) in pursuit of his asinine holy war against Android.

All of it.

quote:

“I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong,” Jobs said. “I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.”

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

nate fisher posted:

This upgrade thing made me go double check mine. Funny thing is the line I used last October to upgrade to the iPhone 4S is showing a upgrade date on 3/1/11. It is like they never counted my upgrade to the iPhowhenS against it. The rest are right (5/1/12, 12/1/12, 3/1/13, and 4/1/13), but what the hell is up with 3/1/11?

I am tempted to take advantage of it and pick up another iPhone 4S, but I am afraid they will figure it out and take my 5/1/12 (which is correct) away from me down the road (I am saving it for iPhone 5).

This happened to both of my lines when I got a couple of Evo 4Gs - no upgrade was used at all somehow. I could have gotten another phone immediately, but I waited until the 3D came out to use it. Pretty sure the guy at Sam's Club hosed something up when I got the original Evos to allow for that to happen.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

This happened to both of my lines when I got a couple of Evo 4Gs - no upgrade was used at all somehow. I could have gotten another phone immediately, but I waited until the 3D came out to use it. Pretty sure the guy at Sam's Club hosed something up when I got the original Evos to allow for that to happen.

When I signed up for sprint all three of my lines were immediately eligible for a upgrade. I felt pretty drat smug about it.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
I think these things are happening because of unlimited data to some degree. Sprint seems determined to keep that and to really compete they have to fix their network (in progress), dump their useless 2G secondary Nextel network (starting), and focus on profitability. Carrying the iPhone was also critical to their future.
Part of funding the Network Vision stuff and the iPhone is coming in the form of reducing perks.

Even TMobile is refarming their spectrum to support the iPhone wherever they can.

You can hate it all you want but Sprint needs more full-price paying customers, not more SERO über-discount seekers. That's the only way they can return to profitability and thus the only way they will be able to buy spectrum and/or construct new towers in the future.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Epic post

Thank you so much for this, really appreciate it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

Eh, to be fair, this was never a "perk." It was a retentions policy to offer to customers who were already extremely close to upgrade and broke their phone. It was then horrendously abused by sales reps like me by telling people to always come in on the 18th. I'm not fretting about it because it was never official, other carriers never offered it that I know of, and it was a policy that did get blown way out of proportion.

Who knows how long sprint keeps unlimited, but all signs point to them keeping it as long as possible and that they will sacrifice other policies for it. Whether it'll work better that way versus fair metered plans with a not as strained network is arguable both ways.

nate fisher posted:

This upgrade thing made me go double check mine. Funny thing is the line I used last October to upgrade to the iPhone 4S is showing a upgrade date on 3/1/11. It is like they never counted my upgrade to the iPhone 4S against it. The rest are right (5/1/12, 12/1/12, 3/1/13, and 4/1/13), but what the hell is up with 3/1/11?

Don't worry about it, sprint won't care. What happened was whomever you got it from screwed up. When that happens to me its because I didn't process it right, which means no commission from sprint, so yeah, sprint didn't have a big loss on it in most cases. Few things are nastier than charge backs from cell phone carriers.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 17, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Duckman2008 posted:

Eh, to be fair, this was never a "perk." It was a retentions policy to offer to customers who were already extremely close to upgrade and broke their phone. It was then horrendously abused by sales reps like me by telling people to always come in on the 18th. I'm not fretting about it because it was never official, other carriers never offered it that I know of, and it was a policy that did get blown way out of proportion.

Who knows how long sprint keeps unlimited, but all signs point to them keeping it as long as possible and that they will sacrifice other policies for it. Whether it'll work better that way versus fair metered plans with a not as strained network is arguable both ways.

How much could Sprint possibly be losing by upgrading people at 21 months and 18 days instead of 22 months into their contract?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How much could Sprint possibly be losing by upgrading people at 21 months and 18 days instead of 22 months into their contract?

Well, I mostly agree with you, but a few things:

Upgrades are now at 20 months, not 22. So sprint did push that up.

Sprint always rolls the upgrade back to the first of the month, so even if you got it on the 31st, you upgrade on the 1st 20 months from that month.

Otherwise I would assume endless cycle of people complaining that they are close to the 18th and should be allowed to upgrade. I don't see the big deal either, but I'm honestly not that worried about it. Except for the bajillion people that I told to come in on the 18th of whatever month, but that will work itself out (awkwardly).

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, I mostly agree with you, but a few things:

Sprint always rolls the upgrade back to the first of the month, so even if you got it on the 31st, you upgrade on the 1st 20 months from that month.

How do you take advantage of this on SERO, or are you out of luck?

I just checked out of curiosity: I signed on 10/8/2010, the upgrade text says I can get a new phone on 8/1/2012. Pushing that up to 6/1/2012 would make my wife really happy, she is hating her epic, and since we have to turn in our phones for TEP so often (since our contract started, we have gone through 15 or 16 defective [not damaged] phones on the 2 lines) she doesn't want to flash it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bigpolar posted:

since our contract started, we have gone through 15 or 16 defective [not damaged] phones on the 2 lines
How on earth?

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How on earth?

Defective replacement after defective replacement, over and over again. Some phones I literally returned to the store the same day I got them. I went through 5 or 6 epics, and 6 evo 3D's, my wife is on her 4th epic. The techs at the local store recognize me on site. It's a big joke to them that I have by far the highest number of defective devices on one account they have ever heard of, and the highest number of defective devices on one line that they have ever seen. (I know it isn't their fault, and I don't blame them. I always give them good results on the surveys)

And it's not like we're hard on the phones, we keep them in cases (otterbox for my 3D, generic padded cases and screen protectors for the epics) and there has never been abuse or liquid damage. Just defective crap.

EDIT: and it may go up now that class is done, and I have time to deal with this poo poo again. One of the twin cameras on my 3D has the colors WAY off, which totally kills 3D images. I just haven't taken it in because everything else works right, which is first 3D that this has been the case. Unless they can replace the camera in store, I'll be getting another refurb.

bigpolar fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 17, 2012

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bigpolar posted:

And it's not like we're hard on the phones, we keep them in cases (otterbox for my 3D, generic padded cases and screen protectors for the epics) and there has never been abuse or liquid damage. Just defective crap.

EDIT: and it may go up now that class is done, and I have time to deal with this poo poo again. One of the twin cameras on my 3D has the colors WAY off, which totally kills 3D images. I just haven't taken it in because everything else works right, which is first 3D that this has been the case. Unless they can replace the camera in store, I'll be getting another refurb.

I have had to exchange every smart phone I owned at least once (if not more) in the first year of owning it. Everything from the Mogul to Touchpro to EVO to EVO 3D to EVO Shift to Epic to a Blackberry Curve. The only one I haven't had to exchange yet is the iPhone 4S (7 months and counting).

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I have had to exchange every smart phone I owned at least once (if not more) in the first year of owning it. Everything from the Mogul to Touchpro to EVO to EVO 3D to EVO Shift to Epic to a Blackberry Curve. The only one I haven't had to exchange yet is the iPhone 4S (7 months and counting).

Yeah, but how many exchanges have you had in an 18 month period?

At any rate, my bitching about my bad luck with refurbished phones serves no purpose other than warning people about the pitfalls of TEP, and I think that point has been made.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Is this reflected somewhere? I just checked my upgrade eligibility by texting upgrade to 1311 and it still shows me 2 months before the end of my contract.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bigpolar posted:

Yeah, but how many exchanges have you had in an 18 month period?

At any rate, my bitching about my bad luck with refurbished phones serves no purpose other than warning people about the pitfalls of TEP, and I think that point has been made.

I think 5 or 6 is my max. One of things I do like about Applecare+ is they give you a brand new phone. Once I upgrade all my lines again to a iPhone I am sticking with Applecare+ instead of TEP.

ninmeister posted:

Is this reflected somewhere? I just checked my upgrade eligibility by texting upgrade to 1311 and it still shows me 2 months before the end of my contract.

Outside of my one skipped upgrade line, the rest of mine are at 22 months. I think your upgrade time is set by when you use your previous upgrade. For example upgrade today it will be 20 months until the next time, but if you upgraded 18 months ago it would be 22 months.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bigpolar posted:

I went through 5 or 6 epics, and 6 evo 3D's, my wife is on her 4th epic.
Crap that's a lot of defective devices.

When you say defective, are they legitimate hardware issues? I've seen software bugs-a-plenty, which have a tendency to affect every device of a particular model. But that number of defective hardware devices sounds crazy.

Or is the type of thing where a defective replacement nets you a refurb which, inevitably, has the same problem? And the rate of defects in non-refurb devices is much lower?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I'm on my 4th Evo 3D, and they were all brand new. I feel your pain.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

When you say defective, are they legitimate hardware issues? I've seen software bugs-a-plenty, which have a tendency to affect every device of a particular model. But that number of defective hardware devices sounds crazy.

Or is the type of thing where a defective replacement nets you a refurb which, inevitably, has the same problem? And the rate of defects in non-refurb devices is much lower?

Ok, lets see, I'm working from memory here:

Epic 1 - (new, lasted 2 months, then)random crashing/overheating
Epic 2 - Bad GPS - never found location
Epic 3 - Tilt/rotate sensor/accelerometer bad
Epic 4 - Dead area on touch screen sensor
Epic 5 - Random crashing/overheating
Epic 6 - Bad charging port

Evo 3D 1 - Random crashing
Evo 3D 2 - Really bad random crashing, didn't get out of the store
Evo 3D 3 - Bad digitizer, touch screen would randomly stop working altogether
Evo 3D 4 - Bad radio, didn't even get out of the store
Evo 3d 5 - Second bad digitizer - this time, would randomly lose about 1/2" wide strip the length of the screen
Evo 3D 6 - Still working, but one camera is bad. otherwise OK

Wife's epic:
Epic 1 - (NEW) Worked for 4 months, then stopped turning on - unknown cause
Epic 2 - bad charging port, found when we tried to charge it in the car upon leaving the store.
Epic 3 - Worked for a month, then the GPS went out, and random rebooting.
epic 4 - still working

EDIT - I may have forgotten another EVO 3D and another epic for my wife, I'm not certain. This is the minimum number though.

They were all kept stock, except our first ones, which were both reflashed to stock before they went bad. It was not a causative factor - there was a couple of weeks in between.

So, just horrible quality control. My wife is so pissed she wants an Iphone for her next phone, and we both HATE iCrap, but after getting burned by samsung updates and general crappiness on the epic, and then sprint not being able to keep the Evo 3D running or give me another phone, I don't see a good option. We are actually considering dumbphones out of frustration and as an alternative to apple.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bigpolar posted:

Ok, lets see, I'm working from memory here
Wow, that's crazy.

Epics 1, 2, 5, wife 1, and wife 3 could well have been due to bad software, i.e., latent bugs that don't manifest on every device, but when they do, you're pretty hosed. 3 might've been fixed with sensor recalibration, which unintuitively, you have to do with the phone pointed screen-down on a hard surface (while also pressing the button on the screen), don't know if you had tried that.

Not that the cause of the problem being hardware vs. software actually matters from your perspective. It's just that the software situation on these devices is mind-boggling bad. So bad, that I can't imagine the iPhone is actually a loss for carriers based on lower margins, when I have to imagine that folks have far fewer complaints with them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm going to under state this one: sprint refurbished phones, more specifically the 3D and shift (Evo seems to have gotten better) have been of questionable quality. I have a lot of 3D refurbs specifically come back within 2 months. Big issue is the touchscreen going for both phones.

Those quality control issues that he lists are a big, big unsaid driver of why people are buying iPhones. Biggest reason I see. I was convinced at one point that they were trying to break palms record of poor quality control. A big reason why in my personal opinion is that phones like that got horribly backlogged and as a result I think sprint was rushing refurbs. A good number are finally not back ordered. Fingers crossed that it gets better.

Let me clarify on upgrades: sprint changed contract terms just before the iPhone came out.

Old terms: $200 ETF, upgrade eligible in 22 months.

New terms: $350 ETF,upgrade eligible in 20 months.

So it depends when you got your last phone.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 17, 2012

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bigpolar posted:

So, just horrible quality control. My wife is so pissed she wants an Iphone for her next phone, and we both HATE iCrap, but after getting burned by samsung updates and general crappiness on the epic, and then sprint not being able to keep the Evo 3D running or give me another phone, I don't see a good option. We are actually considering dumbphones out of frustration and as an alternative to apple.

I use to be one of the biggest Apple haters. I even refused to get an iPod (instead I ended up buying 3 different Zunes). Now that I crossed over to the dark side I am very happy. I think with Apple ( for me at least) it is not only their quality but all the accessories. I can't imagine now not having a Apple TV Box. The ability to listen to my music wirelessly from my phone to my surround system is just awesome. Plus I love have having access to iTunes on both my phone and TV. It is also nice not to have to jump through hoops to find a good dock or case for my phone.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm really regretting getting a Galaxy Nexus. I thought going with a Nexus was a safe bet, but every loving call I make, the person on the other end complains about the audio cutting out. Is there any chance that some firmware update is gonna fix this poo poo or is the hardware just worthless garbage?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

nate fisher posted:

I use to be one of the biggest Apple haters. I even refused to get an iPod (instead I ended up buying 3 different Zunes). Now that I crossed over to the dark side I am very happy. I think with Apple ( for me at least) it is not only their quality but all the accessories. I can't imagine now not having a Apple TV Box. The ability to listen to my music wirelessly from my phone to my surround system is just awesome. Plus I love have having access to iTunes on both my phone and TV. It is also nice not to have to jump through hoops to find a good dock or case for my phone.

I'll second this. I used to webmaster ihateapple.com back in the day (HS nerd with no life alert!). In fact I didn't buy my first Apple product, I got an iPod for free and almost sold it - I was that anti-Apple. Today I have a Mac, me and the wife use iPhones and iPads, etc.

Worst case you can always sell it if the wife doesn't like it but you should at least give it a try once. You might be surprised. Plus these days you can avoid iTunes sync.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Best Buy is claiming that the Evo 4G LTE may be available on Wednesday. We shall see.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

peepsalot posted:

I'm really regretting getting a Galaxy Nexus. I thought going with a Nexus was a safe bet, but every loving call I make, the person on the other end complains about the audio cutting out. Is there any chance that some firmware update is gonna fix this poo poo or is the hardware just worthless garbage?

Try exchanging it for a new one at a Sprint store. Sounds like a hardware defect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

Yeah, I don't have that problem, I actually think one of the better qualities of the GNex is the voice sound quality.