Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Holy gently caress how long does the your ships move at 1/2 speed random event last, this is horrible helppp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NmareBfly posted:

I like dey dangly bits

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I haven't even set up to use my G2G sway. I'm down with getting set up and participating in a Goon voting bloc organized through this thread.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rookersh posted:

New Games2Gether stuff as well, remember to keep voting on stuff, last week was Hissho designs/Sophon Heroes, week before was Pirate designs/Sophon heroes, this week is Amoeba Designs/what feature to add next, razing/autoexplore/retreat.

If goons all got together and voted on specific things, we could get the more important stuff in the forefront, like EVERYONE SHOULD BE VOTING FOR RETREAT RIGHT NOW.

http://endless-space.amplitude-studios.com/Games2gether
Retreat is the only logical vote here. Razing systems might be cool if it's a high-tier tech ala Stellar Converter but aside from that no thanks. Auto explore in a node-lane game is just dumb.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rookersh posted:

New Games2Gether stuff as well, remember to keep voting on stuff, last week was Hissho designs/Sophon Heroes, week before was Pirate designs/Sophon heroes, this week is Amoeba Designs/what feature to add next, razing/autoexplore/retreat.

Threw my 1100 e-cred points behind retreat, and the first amoeba icon (second and third looked dumb).

This whole crowdsourcing design decisions thing seems pretty neat.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

I voted for retreat too, maybe they will add a pursuit one that counters it :allears:

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Holy gently caress how long does the your ships move at 1/2 speed random event last, this is horrible helppp.

HAHAHAHA NEXT EVENT all sensor range reduced by 80%...jesus so now we can't move or see perfect.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

WarLocke posted:

Threw my 1100 e-cred points behind retreat, and the first amoeba icon (second and third looked dumb).

This whole crowdsourcing design decisions thing seems pretty neat.

I went for logo A, but I had to put my votes towards razing systems. I like that the fleets are committed once they enter battle (although a fleet with more movement points than the other should be able to attempt a retreat I guess, with a good chance of being destroyed as they do so).

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Gilganixon posted:

I went for logo A, but I had to put my votes towards razing systems. I like that the fleets are committed once they enter battle (although a fleet with more movement points than the other should be able to attempt a retreat I guess, with a good chance of being destroyed as they do so).

I think it is assumed that retreat is a turn of itself possibly with a defensive bonus, but it would still take the whole stage to retreat.

TheQuad
Jan 16, 2009
Call me a crazy person, but was the star always visible in the background of the system view, or is that new?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WarLocke posted:

I tried this today and while it works pretty well it's a drag on your industry because you have to keep replacing ships. Still, 11 UE Destroyers would reliably take out 5 Hissho Cruisers and only lose 2-4 ships per fight. Not sure how much of that was a tech imbalance though.

I thought cloning was just for getting a class combination you liked and/or suddenly getting another leveled up hero, but the cap was the same (ie, if you cap at 3 heros, that's either 3 unique heroes or 1 hero cloned twice). No?
For Horatios the left-hand tree research option that gives you three extra slots also gives them three extra clone-only slots.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

TheQuad posted:

Call me a crazy person, but was the star always visible in the background of the system view, or is that new?

Think it was always there. New in the patch are asteroids and debris.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Ship designs: Do you think it would be possible to make the United Empire ships look even more boring?

I mean, I love tubes connected to cuboids as much as the next man, but it just doesn't look bland enough.

See if you can sort that out for me, designers!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rookersh posted:

EVERYONE SHOULD BE VOTING FOR RETREAT RIGHT NOW.

I would, but apparently I instantly forgot the password that I used when I created the account -- and I don't see a reset link anywhere. Ugh. :downsgun:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Splicer posted:

For Horatios the left-hand tree research option that gives you three extra slots also gives them three extra clone-only slots.

So six more slots in total? :monocle:

Also I didn't see it in the patch notes but the +10% Industry ability is now +20%. :science:

Steelarm20
Nov 7, 2010

WarLocke posted:

So six more slots in total? :monocle:

Also I didn't see it in the patch notes but the +10% Industry ability is now +20%. :science:

Dear god, the Horatio with the right hero (and all his little clones) are going to be able to pump out multiple capped fleets in one turn. This will be absolutely hilarious.

Edit: Also, is there a chance we'll get those other features later at some point? Because raze would be nice but I feel that retreat is a bit more of an... imminent need.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks guys. :tipshat:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I keep getting this event that they find some galactic wreck and shored it up. It seems to be implying that I have a new ship in my fleet but I never do. I have no idea what this event means?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Steelarm20 posted:

Dear god, the Horatio with the right hero (and all his little clones) are going to be able to pump out multiple capped fleets in one turn. This will be absolutely hilarious.

Yeah, someone earlier in the thread said that Horatio weren't bad, just bad in comparison to all the bonuses other races get. Well... it's not looking so bad for Horatio right now. Just pull that thousand-Smith fight from the Matrix movie. :black101:

quote:

Edit: Also, is there a chance we'll get those other features later at some point? Because raze would be nice but I feel that retreat is a bit more of an... imminent need.

The g2g page said we were voting for what we wanted included first, but the other options would be added later down the line, IIRC.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Planetary Institute still gives +6 dust and costs -3 dust to maintain

:negative:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Tried sophons for the first time today. That science bonus is ridiculous!

:stare:

Granted, it's my best system by far but combined I currently have around 17k output per round on round 100ish.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Alchenar posted:

So you still net 3 Dust and get the other FIDS bonus? Are you saying it should be a net loss in Dust?

FrickenMoron posted:

Granted, it's my best system by far but combined I currently have around 17k output per round on round 100ish.

See this is what I wonder about Sophon games: What do you do when you get to the point where you have 50k Research coming in per turn but you've researched literally the entire tech tree? Seems like such a waste.

edit: This is my current game, taking advantage of the fleet blockade command at every wormhole into my space:

I have a Commander/Pilot hero waiting to be recruited too, I just haven't needed him yet.

Damnit Imgur why did you shrink my pic :stonk:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 16, 2012

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Alchenar posted:

Is Planetary Institute ever worth it? The bonuses seem so small that it seems that time would be better spent building nearly anything else.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
It gets better (IIRC) if you have lots of colonies in a single system.

Can't wait to try out these new changes.

Also, I believe the forums auto-resize things now (?), you have to click the blue box in the upper right to re-size to full. I wonder what the faction specific tech will be for the Amoebas.

'Meebas gonna 'meeb

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WarLocke posted:

So you still net 3 Dust and get the other FIDS bonus? Are you saying it should be a net loss in Dust?

I'm saying that it's a really dumb way of doing a flat +3 dust.

Also planetary institute is good giving that little bit of a food boost to those 4 lava planet systems you'll be colonizing around the time you unlock it. I don't think it needs buffing but it probably could down the tech tree a bit. It's bonuses are effectively in line with the first/second tech rank bonuses in other fields.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

FrickenMoron posted:

Those conversions have just gotta go, heh.

Alchenar posted:

I'm saying that it's a really dumb way of doing a flat +3 dust.
Probably have it setup that way so they can keep tweaking the values on both sides of the fence. Really kind of a minor thing in the alpha version of all things.

Game's so good, can't wait for tuning.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So I have this star in the center of my galaxy:

I don't think I've ever seen a 4 wormhole-star before, especially not with that symmetrical configuration leading in to it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

With that intercept command, could be a good chokepoint system to camp.

I'm just so drat happy to have that command now.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Apparently there was a strange calculation bug, that system pumped out 9k science per turn! Then I turned off conversion for one turn and it dropped to 1.5k and stayed there even after I turned it back on. Very weird.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
It seems like this is finally a 4X done right. The sequel to Gal Civ 2 hasn't even been announced and we all know how bad SOTS2 is and it's astounding a how game in alpha is more finished than a so called "released" game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cygni posted:

With that intercept command, could be a good chokepoint system to camp.

I'm just so drat happy to have that command now.

I'm wondering just how the command works. Because I want to force all the other empires back to their home planets, put a fleet in orbit, blockade/intercept anything they manage to build with their 1 planet of industry, and then proceed to colonize/industrialize the rest of the galaxy. My subjects can visit the alien reserve planets for entertainment. :colbert:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So far everything the intercept command has done for me is create a choke point which the AI does not dare to pass unless it can brush away your fleet. Be ready for scouts stationed forever at your borders, so you have to swat those flies every turn.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

oscarthewilde posted:

It seems like this is finally a 4X done right. The sequel to Gal Civ 2 hasn't even been announced and we all know how bad SOTS2 is and it's astounding a how game in alpha is more finished than a so called "released" game.

The sequel to Gal Civ 2 was Elemental.

Yeah, Stardock aren't digging themselves out of that grave.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Alchenar posted:

The sequel to Gal Civ 2 was Elemental.

Yeah, Stardock aren't digging themselves out of that grave.

Oh, but they are trying...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3477199

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

WarLocke posted:

edit: This is my current game, taking advantage of the fleet blockade command at every wormhole into my space:

I have a Commander/Pilot hero waiting to be recruited too, I just haven't needed him yet.

Given the way cloning works, wouldn't it be better to hire that hero now and put him on the front lines to start gaining experience? That way, when the time comes and you need fleet commanders, you can dismiss all your administrator clones (but not the base administrator) and create a swarm of veteran admiral clones to take command until the war is over, at which point you can dismiss the admiral clones and reclone the administrator.

How much does it cost to clone a hero, anyways?

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Gort posted:

Ship designs: Do you think it would be possible to make the United Empire ships look even more boring?

I mean, I love tubes connected to cuboids as much as the next man, but it just doesn't look bland enough.

They look like a cross between the Imperium of Man and the Amarr Empire. This is not a bad thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tomn posted:

Given the way cloning works, wouldn't it be better to hire that hero now and put him on the front lines to start gaining experience? That way, when the time comes and you need fleet commanders, you can dismiss all your administrator clones (but not the base administrator) and create a swarm of veteran admiral clones to take command until the war is over, at which point you can dismiss the admiral clones and reclone the administrator.

How much does it cost to clone a hero, anyways?

It scales with level, but slowly. Something like 58 dust at level 6.

And low-level fleet heroes level up real fast. If you have an 11cp fleet and fight a similar one you can easily get to level 3 or 4 from 1 with one fight.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Is steam auto-updating to the next version of the alpha? I haven't seen anything in the news.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gort posted:

Flying grey bricks are awesome, deal with it :c00lbert:

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

So this game seems visually impressive and relatively in-depth, but I have never actually played a 4X game before. I've played probably hundreds of RTSes, turn-based games RPGs and strategy games, but for whatever reason I've never had an opportunity to try and tackle a 4X title before. While I damned near impulse purchased the game upon hearing about the baller Amoeba race, I'd still love to hear if anyone recommends this as a "4X for dummies" starting point, or if I'll be over my head.

I tried watching a few Youtube first looks, but they are mostly half hour mumblings of neckbeards reading every word on a small bio, as opposed to decent cursory glances of the actual gameplay and strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

WarLocke posted:

It scales with level, but slowly. Something like 58 dust at level 6.

And low-level fleet heroes level up real fast. If you have an 11cp fleet and fight a similar one you can easily get to level 3 or 4 from 1 with one fight.

Sure, I guess I was thinking that if you have a pre-leveled hero ready in the wings, the clones would be that much more useful once they came out. After all, however quickly low-leveled heroes go up in combat, they'll be that much better if cloned from an already-leveled hero and THEN thrust into the fray.

I suppose now that I think about it not having access to an administrative slot for the whole "training" period COULD be considered to outweigh the benefits of having moderately trained fleet admirals available for cloning, though.

• Locked thread