Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I know what I need to do to get the portable furnace...just not where to get everything.

Cribbing from the spreadsheet:

Spotted Volff Hide: Bionis' Leg, volffs south of Viliera Hill at night.
Steel Silk: Collectible in Tephra Cave (Spring of Grief area recommended), can also trade with Peppino if you have 3+ stars of colony 9 affinity.

Igna Hide Jacket: Satorl Marsh, ignas around Igna Territory (fancy that).
Amblygon Turtle: Collectible in Colony 6 (Hope Farm area recommended), can also trade with Arda or Kiroki.

Sharp Hox Spur: Bionis' Leg, hox around Gaur Plain, can also trade with Matryona.
Dark Grape: Collectible in Tephra Cave (Caterpile Nest area recommended), can also trade with Dorothy.

Light Rain Element: Bionis' Leg, water elementals all over the place (I used the general Gaur Plain/Viliera Hill area) during rainy weather.
Kneecap Rock: Collectible in Tephra Cave (Mag Mell Ruins area recommended), can also trade with Werner if you have 2+ stars of colony 9 affinity.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Anyone have a good lead on where Bitter Kiwi spawn? I think I maybe found one in all of Makna forest - through repeated runthroughs, and I spent that on the Collectapaedia. I need two to get the better outcome for a quest.

Personally I waited on that quest until I had 3 stars of FV affinity, then I traded with Leku for them.

I'm also looking to find a few people: Hoko, Ma'Crish, and Talonyth. I've double-checked my affinity chart and none of them are on it. It's for Reyn's 4 skill branch.

Hoko: FV somewhere in the general vicinity of the Chief's Residence, during the day; he may wander to the outside path.
Ma'crish: Alcamoth in the general vicinity of the shop, during the day.
Talonyth: Alcamoth, southeast of the main entrance, during the day.

You'll need housing and commerce level 2 to recruit all of them. You'll also need to recruit Pokapoka, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Are there any skill books that you and only, exclusively get from UMs in Sword Valley, Galahad Fortress, Mechonis Field, Central Fortress or Agniratha?

Also how can I get the best spike defense gems (spike is just the ultimate bullshit - is there one that just negates spike damage completely?) and/or beat Wise Gremory, a UM in Agniratha who is still doing 800-900+ spike damage to me what seems like every second, even though I'm 2 levels higher than him. I can use Monado Purge but the game likes to poo poo all over you with how long it lasts; like level 1 is 10 seconds but level 5, like 30000 AP later, it lasts 12 seconds, and the next level will last 12.5 seconds, like yeah that half second is really gonna save my rear end, thanks game. Even by the end of those 12 seconds, it isn't ready to cast again, I think even with Sharla in my party the most I have been able to cast it/longest I have lasted is like 3 or 4 casts, getting the monster to half health.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010

Devoyniche posted:

Are there any skill books that you and only, exclusively get from UMs in Sword Valley, Galahad Fortress, Mechonis Field, Central Fortress or Agniratha?

Oh, I want to ask this too, as I've gotten myself locked out from the first two. I know for sure I missed a UM, but at least I wrapped up the Collectapedia and gotten plenty of items.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Devoyniche posted:

Kind of. 7's Ether Drain can be found on Synchronized Gaheris in Central Factory, and the only other way to get it is from a quest-only UM that appears during 7's second skill tree quest. If you are still on Mechonis and want to max out all of your arts, it is best to get the book now.

Yeah, that particular UM's spike is nasty. I was only able to take it down by chain toppling it and having Shulk throw Purge on it repeatedly. I'm not sure what the best spot to get rank 5 spike resist gems is, but even with maxed rank 6 gems they only give you 75% protection, and you are unlikely to be able to secure any of those at your current level anyway.

You'll be wanting those rank 6 gems once you start preparing to fight the superbosses, though.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You can, of course, use multiple gems. At best you'll be getting 75% per gem, but the defense maxes out at 100% to let you ignore spike damage completely. (Also, rank 5 gems max out at 50%, so two rank 5 gems = two rank 6 gems.)

Reasonable sources of rank 4 spike defense crystals (which you can mega heat into maxed out rank 5 gems) are:

- The water node in Central Factory 4F (southwest corner of the big central semicircle).

- Silver/gold chests from the somethingsomething/HONEY enemies in Mechonis Field, forget where exactly.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well yes you can always stack two together for 100% resist. That does limit your other slotting options a bit, though for some fights it is practically mandatory.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hey guys, after yelling at my game for Shulk's Shield not blocking a talent art, I finally figured out why you should raise that move's level! :suicide:

This could have been avoided if I had read the description.

EDIT: Shulk shirtless and in swimming trunks makes everything funny

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 17, 2012

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

MARTY TURKEY posted:

Hey guys, after yelling at my game for Shulk's Shield not blocking a talent art, I finally figured out why you should raise that move's level! :suicide:

This could have been avoided if I had read the description.

EDIT: Shulk shirtless and in swimming trunks makes everything funny

Honestly, I stopped upgrading shield after I realized that upgrading it doesn't do anything. Or so I thought. Does it allow it to block higher level attacks or something?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

^^^^ Monado Shield can block Talent Arts that are equal to or less than its level. For example, if it's at level III, it can block Megaflare III, but not Megaflare IV.

Devoyniche posted:

You cannot screw yourself out of skill books, thankfully.

Thundarr posted:

Kind of. 7's Ether Drain can be found on Synchronized Gaheris in Central Factory, and the only other way to get it is from a quest-only UM that appears during 7's second skill tree quest. If you are still on Mechonis and want to max out all of your arts, it is best to get the book now.

Actually you can get the Ether Drain manual from gold chests dropped by the high-level bunnies in Tephra Cave. It's how I got mine. The spreadsheet doesn't tell you this though.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Hey, so I'm stuck on a quest all the way back in Colony 9. It's the one about the woman with the missing son who has the three items you need to look for. I found all except the gun, and I've looked in pretty much every nook and cranny between Colony 9 and Satorl Marsh (where I found the last item). Where is it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

Honestly, I stopped upgrading shield after I realized that upgrading it doesn't do anything. Or so I thought. Does it allow it to block higher level attacks or something?

Yes. Monado Shield will block talent arts up to its own level.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Manoueverable posted:

Hey, so I'm stuck on a quest all the way back in Colony 9. It's the one about the woman with the missing son who has the three items you need to look for. I found all except the gun, and I've looked in pretty much every nook and cranny between Colony 9 and Satorl Marsh (where I found the last item). Where is it?

It's in a secret area on Bionis' Leg. Go NE of Viliera Hill to find Daksha Shrine and look around for a place to climb down.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Ahhpple posted:

It's in a secret area on Bionis' Leg. Go NE of Viliera Hill to find Daksha Shrine and look around for a place to climb down.

Haha, go figure, it's the one nook I haven't checked :v:. Thanks.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

U-DO Burger posted:

Actually you can get the Ether Drain manual from gold chests dropped by the high-level bunnies in Tephra Cave. It's how I got mine. The spreadsheet doesn't tell you this though.

Ah, nice. If I get around to new game+ I'll look for it there.

vorpal
Dec 31, 2007

I'm through Makna now, and I still have no idea why this game is supposed to be so great. I haven't spent much time with the two newer characters, but the other four are boring so far. The story is also boring so far.

I've been impressed with the locations and music, especially the swamp at night. The gameplay is ok, except for the mmo tank/dps/healer crap. I feel like I'm having a different experience than others, from reading the thread. I just click buttons in the order they're supposed to be clicked while zoning out just as much as any other jrpg. I haven't found any of the bosses challenging. No, I'm not over-leveled.

At what point did you all care about these characters and how much further do I have to go for the story to get interesting? I'm losing the desire to even play it, which pisses me off because I bought the controller and had to buy a new drive for my wii to get it running.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I'm trying to get Melia's last skill tree, doing the Ancient High Entia Mystery quest. How the heck do you reach that ledge?! The Xenoblade wiki says "climb the long vines" but I've looked across the whole wall and there are no vines. Help?

edit: nevermind, found it. Anyway, I'm having trouble with something else now. I have 5 star affinity in colony 9 and I'm trying to get Shulk's last skill tree, but the quest giver refuses to give me the last quest required to get the skill quest. I really have no idea what to do, I think I've done every other quest in the whole colony and regardless of who I talk to her as, she just gives me a generic response.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 17, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

vorpal posted:

I'm through Makna now, and I still have no idea why this game is supposed to be so great. I haven't spent much time with the two newer characters, but the other four are boring so far. The story is also boring so far.

I've been impressed with the locations and music, especially the swamp at night. The gameplay is ok, except for the mmo tank/dps/healer crap. I feel like I'm having a different experience than others, from reading the thread. I just click buttons in the order they're supposed to be clicked while zoning out just as much as any other jrpg. I haven't found any of the bosses challenging. No, I'm not over-leveled.

At what point did you all care about these characters and how much further do I have to go for the story to get interesting? I'm losing the desire to even play it, which pisses me off because I bought the controller and had to buy a new drive for my wii to get it running.

If you aren't enjoying the characters or story AT ALL so far then cut your losses and move on. It starts slowing moving into jRPG crazy town not too much longer after where you are, but whether that's an improvement or not is up to you. It doesn't get really crazy until about 90% of the way through the game (of which you are only about ~40% of the way through).

Also worth noting the absolute worst town area is up next and it's definitely the low point of the game.

And yeah the combat system is really boring most of the time because the game has really awful encounter balancing. There's an extremely thin margin where the combat is challenging and still winnable, usually when you are about 2-5 levels under what you are fighting.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010

vorpal posted:

That doesn't sound too good. The next two areas after Makna are probably the turning point. If you're still not feeling it by then, it's a lost cause, I think.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Devoyniche posted:

Also how can I get the best spike defense gems (spike is just the ultimate bullshit - is there one that just negates spike damage completely?) and/or beat Wise Gremory, a UM in Agniratha who is still doing 800-900+ spike damage to me what seems like every second, even though I'm 2 levels higher than him. I can use Monado Purge but the game likes to poo poo all over you with how long it lasts; like level 1 is 10 seconds but level 5, like 30000 AP later, it lasts 12 seconds, and the next level will last 12.5 seconds, like yeah that half second is really gonna save my rear end, thanks game. Even by the end of those 12 seconds, it isn't ready to cast again, I think even with Sharla in my party the most I have been able to cast it/longest I have lasted is like 3 or 4 casts, getting the monster to half health.

Hah, that reminded me of when I was playing as Seven and encountered a UM somewhere. She was equipped with sword drones, and I started the fight with Strength drain, and then landed two auto-attacks before automatically firing off the Sword art. I noticed just as I clicked that I had taken 1420 damage from that auto attack thanks to spike damage.
The art didn't even finish before she dropped dead.

Is Topple supposed to disable spike damage, or do some enemies do extra spike in topple? I swear there have been a couple times where I've had Shulk pounding a toppled enemy when he's at or near full HP, and he drops in a matter of seconds.

I feel that a lot of the arts in the game don't last long enough. Something like Purge you have to basically apply continually; if you only auto-attack, you'll get just enough to fill the gauge by the time it expires on the enemy. Some boosts only last a few seconds and can get completely wasted by enemies interrupting a move or even just animation time from another art.
Still, specing Seven for speed, using the haste art, strength drain, double attack criticals, and with double attack and haste gems...pretty awesome.

vvvvvvv Eh, I thought the spoilers were more for who Seven is, not about what she might be. But I'll spoiler them anyway.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 17, 2012

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

vorpal posted:

If you race through doing only story stuff, I would say you have about 2-5 hours more (1 area, 1 city, 1 small dungeon, a couple of plot quests, and another small area with no combat) of gameplay before the middle-of-the-game point where people commonly say "poo poo gets real". Give it at least that, if you can. That segment pretty much sets up and explains what's to come for the next quarter or so of the game.

Maybe put it down for a while and come back? From playing the game, it doesn't seem like the game really breaks from other JRPGs plotwise, but it is a strong RPG mechanic wise in terms of poo poo you wish other RPGs would do, you can warp anywhere at any time with very little load time, automated healing, you don't have to worry about stat growth or stats at all, and characters you aren't using level up alongside you. It does lend itself to being played in different styles, with different characters so you could try that. Also, the art, design of the world environments and music are all really really good.

I would feel like a jerk putting you off to the game after spending a bunch of money on it, but the characters never get "more interesting" - to me, anyway; I haven't done any of the heart-to-hearts but you kind of have to plan or work to get those (which is kind of a terrible idea). As for the plot, if you are hating and loathing it now, it never really gets to a point where I imagine you will be like eager to get to the next part, it is all pretty generic. You have probably seen the vision Shulk gets where he meets with the Emperor, that is the point where people say that the game really opens up plot wise (I personally think it starts winding down soon after). Actually while people say that area is the low point of the game, I thought the plot around it was some of the most interesting.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The game is kind of lovely with showing you tutorials for poo poo it never actually implements until way later.

Some monsters are spike all the time unless toppled, and some monsters have spike activate only when you topple them. I think there is a third type of spike, ether spike or something. But there is no visual indicator of which type a monster has, or even that it is doing it, so it is trial and error, sort of.

There are people saying they didn't realize that leveling Monado arts did anything, because for most of the game you are avoiding the UM's since they are like level 60+ and the other monsters don't use the white arts, or show a vision. I think the first time it was necessary to use (there was a vision) the Monado shield after the Lv 2 Shield in the Xord fight was in like Sword Valley or Valak Mountain and that might have been a UM.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 17, 2012

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Late-game spoilers: Are the alternate Machina Monado worth grinding pickups for? I'm not really looking forward to playing hide-and-seek all along the Bionis so I'll probably just pull up a guide on where everything is.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

^^^ I used the defensive one pretty much exclusively for the remainder of the game once I had it, since its drawback isn't too severe considering how hard he'll be hitting anyway (and an Attack Stability gem goes a long way too). The fourth and fifth ones only have two gem slots though, rendering them almost worthless.

Pyroclastic posted:

Is Topple supposed to disable spike damage, or do some enemies do extra spike in topple? I swear there have been a couple times where I've had Shulk pounding a toppled enemy when he's at or near full HP, and he drops in a matter of seconds.

A handful of enemies have spike that is enabled by toppling, just to mix things up. The unique gogol in Satorl Marsh for example.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 17, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pyroclastic posted:

Stuff

This post kind of tells a lot about Seven without naming Seven. It might be worth spoiler tagging some more.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I just gifted up Melia's affinity with Dunban just so I could skill link Equip Heavy to her.

With her 'Ether Def. bonus to equipped heavy armor' and 'stats up if ungem-ed' skills, her survivability skyrocketed. UMs with area of effect attacks used to make her impossible to use. No longer!

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
So... how far am I from finishing the game? I'm in the second huge, annoying city Agniratha and the huge number of "go here, kill x" quests is annoying. Also, hitting unique monsters with spike is annoying because NPC Shulk seems to want to enchant instead of purge, and if I main him, I can't even fill the talent gauge again before purge runs out. I'm starting to burn out...

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Deviantfish posted:

So... how far am I from finishing the game? I'm in the second huge, annoying city Agniratha and the huge number of "go here, kill x" quests is annoying. Also, hitting unique monsters with spike is annoying because NPC Shulk seems to want to enchant instead of purge, and if I main him, I can't even fill the talent gauge again before purge runs out. I'm starting to burn out...

I haven't finished the game yet, but you could probably power through storyline-only in just a few more hours. Only three areas left: Mechonis Core, Bionis Interior, Prison Island. Of course, a bunch of stuff changes after Mechnois Core, with new quests and areas opening up and others closing off, so if you're going for completion, you've got quite a few hours left.

As for spike damage, you could always add spike defense or haste gems in, or level up Purge some more so you can get a couple extra auto attacks in before it expires.
There were a pile of quests in that area, but if you just fight everything along the way, chances are you'll finish them anyway. I think there were only one or two quests that show up after you complete the first round (examining the huge telethia after the small ones is the only one I remember).

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Strange, I didn't find Achamoth to be too terribly awful. Having a Quick Step III gem, doing most of the city-wandering at night (when the music is actually very nice), and shotgunning the whole drat thing in a day may have helped.

I get this weird stupid fanboy joy in seeing that Melia's silhouette (in her default outfit) is identical to that of Marguerite from Xenogears. :3:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Deviantfish posted:

Shulk has an art called Battle Soul that will make filling the talent gauge a lot faster, though it does cause health damage. Just make sure you have Light Heal ready to go before you use it.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So I've finally accomplished getting a gem to Mega Heat, but it's not giving me what I expected.

I thought getting Mega Heat would bump me up 2 ranks? I've been using level 3 gems, so when I get to Heat I get back a single level 4 gem, but when i get to Mega Heat it gives me back two level 4 gems. Wouldn't I get back a level 5 gem, or did I misunderstand?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BitterAvatar posted:

So I've finally accomplished getting a gem to Mega Heat, but it's not giving me what I expected.

I thought getting Mega Heat would bump me up 2 ranks? I've been using level 3 gems, so when I get to Heat I get back a single level 4 gem, but when i get to Mega Heat it gives me back two level 4 gems. Wouldn't I get back a level 5 gem, or did I misunderstand?

Yeah, you misunderstood. Megaheat will give you two perfect next-level gems, not one single gem worth two extra levels.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 17, 2012

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

BitterAvatar posted:

No that's right, you get two level 4 gems.

edit: beaten

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

BitterAvatar posted:

Say you were making a rank 4 spike defense gem, which could give you a range of 28%-34% spike defense. You could do this by:

1. Getting 100%-199% with rank 4 spike defense crystals/cylinders: the closer you are to 100%, the closer to 28% on the resulting gem, and ditto with 199% and 34%.
2. Getting 200%-299% with rank 3 spike defense crystals/cylinders: like above, but with 200% and 299%.
3. Getting 300% with rank 3 spike defense crystals/cylinders. These will always be 34%. Furthermore, you get two gems (both maxed out at 34%) this way.

I don't know if there's some randomness involved in #1 or #2, or if it's purely based on your percentage when crafting's finished. But #3 is guaranteed to be maxed out, and a rank higher, and you get two of them, which is why mega heat is awesome.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Cool, that makes sense. Now I have spike defense gems for everyone!

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Deviantfish posted:

A lot of the monsters in that area are only spiked if you topple them. I think the only ones that are spiked normally are the big giant spider looking ones, and even then there is a grey-ish one that isn't spiked at all, I think that one is called something/CYCLE. The spiked one is something like Exterminator/EMBER and the unique monsters.

And yeah, most of the many, many monsters in the area are going to aggro to you anyway, so you might as well get the quests.

I had the same problem as you and put the game down for like a week, and came back and switched up my party and it is not as bad as it was. Those areas are really awful and same-y in a game that is, up until then, good at giving you unique, inspired and really good looking environments, plus you grind the same enemies over and over so it is easy to burn out.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I have the level 57 Unique M104 a shot with tanking team of Dunban, Reyn, and Sharla. It was much more effective than my other team... but it still wasn't quite good enough. I tried several times, with no luck. But I've gained a level or two, so maybe I can beat it now.

Hooray, Sharla's and Reyn's 4th trees are unlocked, and I think I only need to do one more quest ("Mislabelling Problem") to get Riki's 4th tree quest unlocked.

However, Dunban's 4th tree quest is puzzling me. Vil said that it is unlocked by doing the "Balance of Power" quest - yet I already completed that one, and he also said that the prerequisites for that are two other quests: "Bad Timing" and "Chilkin Changes", and I haven't even found either of those yet as far as I know. What's going on there?

My guess is that Seventh's 4th tree quest is unlocked in Hidden Village or somewhere past that point. I haven't done a lot of questing there yet, though.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

However, Dunban's 4th tree quest is puzzling me. Vil said that it is unlocked by doing the "Balance of Power" quest - yet I already completed that one, and he also said that the prerequisites for that are two other quests: "Bad Timing" and "Chilkin Changes", and I haven't even found either of those yet as far as I know. What's going on there?

I don't even know what's going on here. Normally you get the skill tree upon completion of that quest. I don't know how you even got the quest without doing the other two. Are you sure you did the right quest?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
What did Balance of Power entail for you? It's the one involving the ice slide on Valak.

VVVVV Shooting stars is really obvious. There will literally be glowing star debris falling into the ocean. 'Heat' will show up as a shimmering, wavy distortion in the air.

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 17, 2012

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
How do you guys tell the difference in weather patterns? More specifically, what's the difference between a regular day and a "hot" day in Makna Forest, and a regular night and "shooting stars" in Eryth Sea? The latter is so goddamn confusing because it's shooting stars every night, and I still can't get that UM to spawn no matter how many times I save/load.

On a side note, I really hate every single quest in Makna/Frontier Village. So many collectibles, so little odds of getting the ones you need.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

I don't even know what's going on here. Normally you get the skill tree upon completion of that quest. I don't know how you even got the quest without doing the other two. Are you sure you did the right quest?

The "Balance of Power" quest I did had nothing to do with ice slides, it was a quest to kill 5 Antols and 5 Chilkins on Valak mountain. It did come from the same guy, and I can't find any other quests or other named NPC's around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
That's the "Chilkins and Antols" quest. You need to find the Bad Timing questgiver first, who is not located with the rest of the Nopon research camp.

• Locked thread