Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Is there any benefit to influence besides granting an area in which the people you aren't at war with can't travel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

Is there any benefit to influence besides granting an area in which the people you aren't at war with can't travel?

Being in an opponent's influence kills morale. I imagine that it might end up looking like influence did in GalCiv2

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I got a "wonder victory" today by building enough "Tech portals" from the furthest down tech in the lower tree. Isn't there an influence victory too?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Krinkle posted:

After this latest patch nobody wants to fight me and I keep getting trade offers. Also I keep getting like half the goddamn galaxy to myself or crammed into two stars with four other guys. Having trouble finding the sweet spot of gameplay.

edit: your offer has been rejected "TECHNOLOGY TERM" ?? are these refusal things missing descriptions? One time it said something like %%Give.error.reason.you.are.aggressor%, so I know they're incomplete. I just have no idea what to do when I'm told technology term. It's like being told at a negotiation that the other guy is leaving the table because I used the letter E.
Endless Space: Truly Alien Aliens. "Your offer has been rejected because Triangles. How could you I thought we were friends."

Alternative Punchline: Endless Space: You Know What You Did. "Your offer as been rejected. Well if you don't know I'm not going to tell you."

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I want to thank people for recommending this one of Diablo 3, it's literally everything I wanted as a MoO successor... but goddamn the resources are bitch to get. Any tips?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
How do you send ships back to the hanger? I did it once but don't remember what I did.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
drag them from the fleet into the grey hanger window,

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

de_dust posted:

I want to thank people for recommending this one of Diablo 3, it's literally everything I wanted as a MoO successor... but goddamn the resources are bitch to get. Any tips?
Which resources? Do you mean things like Antimatter, or the FIDS (Food/Industry/Dust/Science)?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Dred_furst posted:

drag them from the fleet into the grey hanger window,

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl when I get home.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

Ships/fleets in your influence cannot be detected by enemy sensors, only by the physical presence of their fleets.

Alchenar posted:

The sequel to Gal Civ 2 was Elemental.

Yeah, Stardock aren't digging themselves out of that grave.

To be fair, most of Stardock's revenue comes from Windows apps, and most of their talent that is usually spent on games was for the past couple years instead spent on Impulse.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Krinkle posted:

After this latest patch nobody wants to fight me and I keep getting trade offers. Also I keep getting like half the goddamn galaxy to myself or crammed into two stars with four other guys. Having trouble finding the sweet spot of gameplay.

edit: your offer has been rejected "TECHNOLOGY TERM" ?? are these refusal things missing descriptions? One time it said something like %%Give.error.reason.you.are.aggressor%, so I know they're incomplete. I just have no idea what to do when I'm told technology term. It's like being told at a negotiation that the other guy is leaving the table because I used the letter E.
I wouldn't count on much with diplomacy being done until the AI gets revamped.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
So I was having a really annoying bug last week when I last played, where occasionally when I would get into combat, the auto and manual buttons would be flashed, getting me to pick one, but I wouldn't be able to click anything. The battle would auto-resolve, the summary screen would show up for about half a second then close on its own. I could play the game otherwise, but that problem would persist for all combat until I closed the game and reopened it. Anyone else have that particular problem, and/or note that the new patch fixes it?

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

Palleon posted:

So I was having a really annoying bug last week when I last played, where occasionally when I would get into combat, the auto and manual buttons would be flashed, getting me to pick one, but I wouldn't be able to click anything. The battle would auto-resolve, the summary screen would show up for about half a second then close on its own. I could play the game otherwise, but that problem would persist for all combat until I closed the game and reopened it. Anyone else have that particular problem, and/or note that the new patch fixes it?

Yes, this should be fixed.

On the topic of new bugs, is anyone else getting the occasional "rubber banding" when watching fleet fights?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The worst issues I've had with the new version was extreme navigation problems. I had a weird star system with lots of wormhole and ships kept going back and forth between systems before going through wormholes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That's a known issue.

"Pathfinding (when you want to pass through a wormhole with the warp drive technology)."

I just noticed a new known issue also got edited into the patch notes last night:

"Edit: Game difficulty (AI does not benefit from upkeep bonuses). "

In regards to the pathfinding, the only solution I've found is to just right click once and then let the AI sort it out eventually after multiple turns. It'll get there a few turns later than it really should thanks to a bunch of weird loops but at least it gets there.

[e]Not me in regards to rubber banding.

Palleon posted:

Played 150 turns or so yesterday and that problem is fixed. It was a killer in Alpha 1 yes. Make sure you start a new game, a number of bugs are attached to save files.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 17, 2012

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
After the patch, my half-galaxy Sophon save apparently got deleted :qq:

No matter, my small galaxy Craver game is going very well. United Empire is falling to the strength of multiple 9/9 fleets on turn 60. :black101:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

After the patch, my half-galaxy Sophon save apparently got deleted :qq:

No matter, my small galaxy Craver game is going very well. United Empire is falling to the strength of multiple 9/9 fleets on turn 60. :black101:

All my saves vanished but I figured this was due to the folder path changing, so I just started a new game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

BobTheJanitor posted:

All my saves vanished but I figured this was due to the folder path changing, so I just started a new game.

Yeah the saves are kept in a new folder now, you might be able to just copy over the old ones, might be worth a try.

And in regards to basic colony stuff from last night, look at the bonuses I have on this hero:

Now realize that I'm playing Horatio, so I have 4 of these (and a fleet hero). And in 3 turns or so I will have cloned 6 more. :monocle:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think the problem with Heroes for me right now is that Corporate/Admin heroes and Commander/Pilot heroes are clearly the best. Any other combination means that you'll only be using half the hero at any given time and the "versatility" doesn't really help when all your skill picks are towards one or the other. I'm still not sure what an Adventurer hero actually does.

I think they need to take another cue from Master of Orion's heroes, which each have their own specialties and are actually distinctive. Granted, it might take a lot of extra work, especially if they want to keep this "skill tree" setup, but I think it would be better for the game in the long run if there was some semblance of uniqueness in the heroes, as they are otherwise sort of boring, especially when you figure out the optimal "skill path."

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There's a lot of interesting options for heroes that could be borrowed from Total War generals/family members.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'd like to see heroes with more specific bonuses that prevent them from just being good everywhere. Fleet heroes who specialize in beam weapons, or engineering cards, or fleets of fewer then 4 ships. Colony heroes who specialize in tundra worlds or grant extra bonuses when assigned to new outpost colonies, or to planets assigned to dust exploitation. Right now they're just sort of generic buffs.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I never quite got the corporate/pilot hero load outs, surely you can only use half of those bonuses at any given time, especially with how you level them up?

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

WarLocke posted:

Start your second colony ASAP while researching all the inner-ring techs (the dust, science, industry, food boosts, and colonize arid/tundra); queue up an exploitation (probably food) and any FIDS bonus buildings you started with, and come back to add any you unlock with research. Hire heroes as soon as you have dust for them and put them in your colonies. At level 2 take the +3 labor ability, at 3 take the +25 Industry one. Now your colony will really start taking off. By the time you get to turn 18-20 you should have everything you've unlocked via research mostly built and a decent population. Now is the time to start pumping out colony ships to all the systems around you (you were scouting with your other ship and making sure to research colony techs for the planet types you found, right?)

I really find the exploitation not really worth it if that is all you got, so I spend my first 3 turns pumping all industry to dust and hire after 3 turns.

Industry hero route
2)labor +3
3)+25 industry
4)labor +3
5)+20 food
6)+25morale
7-infinity)Max +%s thing is around this point you might be thinking about getting the -4 to switch but by the time you get to it you will already have INFINITE DUST so just focus on getting +%'s and around lv9-10 your will probably just perma park this guy on a 6 planet super system.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I really find the exploitation not really worth it if that is all you got, so I spend my first 3 turns pumping all industry to dust and hire after 3 turns.

I can never get into the whole 'set everything to Ind-Dust and buy stuff' style. My current game is at turn 97 or something and I have half the galaxy locked up, am enveloping the UE and Sophons, and the entire time I would queue everything on all my planets and let them just churn away. I still make around 1k Dust a turn doing this and I get a dozen notifications of stuff being built each turn.

The only negative to this is that you can't pump out entire fleets in a single turn, so you have to anticipate the need for them (and/or have a forge system constantly building ships).

Flipswitch posted:

I never quite got the corporate/pilot hero load outs, surely you can only use half of those bonuses at any given time, especially with how you level them up?

Yeah, those are kind of a wasted opportunity. IMO the heroes should have come in two types, one can only go in systems and the other can only go in fleets, then they get ONLY stuff appropriate to their focus and get custom/unique stuff in addition.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommissarMega posted:

Wow, that's strange. My laptop's far less powerful than that and ES runs smoothly. Maybe it's a video card problem?

Yeah, that's what has me scratching my head. My old video card started having problems due to age so I replaced it. Current video card is like a month old so I don't know what the gently caress.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I can never get into the whole 'set everything to Ind-Dust and buy stuff' style. My current game is at turn 97 or something and I have half the galaxy locked up, am enveloping the UE and Sophons, and the entire time I would queue everything on all my planets and let them just churn away. I still make around 1k Dust a turn doing this and I get a dozen notifications of stuff being built each turn.

The only negative to this is that you can't pump out entire fleets in a single turn, so you have to anticipate the need for them (and/or have a forge system constantly building ships).

You don't buy everything you just buy the flat system bonus things so it costs you around 2.4k a system, which I make like every turn at turn 120ish. I don't buy ships though they cost entirely too much as non UE, thankfully I have a system with 300+ industry soooo that isn't too much of a problem.

burnt_offerings
May 9, 2012

I've been having a lot of fun playing as Hissho on huge maps, (side note: I don't think the huge maps are really that huge).

Maybe it's just bad galaxy generation luck, but my start position generally has a pretty lovely home system to start with. Usually 2 planets. Maybe 3 if I'm lucky. If there is a science planet, it will be like a Science 1 or 2 planet. I'm thinking my long term tech progression is taking a hit due to the lack of good science planets nearby during the first 20-40 turns.

So with the Hissho research penalty, it seems like I get left behind pretty early in tech and have a hard time trying to close the distance between me and the other civs after the 100th turn or so.

Perhaps the Hissho will be better once the races are balanced out. Or, maybe I'll drop my difficulty down until I get the hang of this race in case it's just me and I suck.

Any tips for keeping the Hissho competitive at this point? Am I not doing something right with them in the early game?

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

burnt_offerings posted:

Any tips for keeping the Hissho competitive at this point? Am I not doing something right with them in the early game?

Attack dudes, like around turn 30-40 you should be permanently in war with someone. Hissio spaceships are so hilariously overpowered, and the FIDS bonus they get on a successful invasion is insane. You probably also arn't expanding like the plague, or turning all excess industry to science. Don't turn the difficulty below hard in this game, hard is still really easy once you know how to expand.

Thing I didn't know till my third game that might help some people, you can colonize planets you already have a system on by clicking on it and pressing colonize you don't have to use a colony ship

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Oh how exactly do I send exploratory trips to my moons or whatever that was hinted in the tutorial? I couldn't figure out a way to.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Thing I didn't know till my third game that might help some people, you can colonize planets you already have a system on by clicking on it and pressing colonize you don't have to use a colony ship

Note that if you have only one pop in the system it'll give you an error that looks like you don't have the tech to colonize that planet type even if you do.

Feature request: allow a colony ship to add one pop to a destination system even if the planet is already colonized. Destroy the ship when doing so, rational being that (for balance) it'd be too easy otherwise to shuttle people over from high food system for bootstrapping colonies and (for fluff) the new residents need to cannibalize the ship for housing or whatever.

Daynab posted:

Oh how exactly do I send exploratory trips to my moons or whatever that was hinted in the tutorial? I couldn't figure out a way to.

You need a tech from the lower tree on the right side. Self adapting colonies or something? Then just click on a particular planet and you'll see the option in the left pane.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
You need to research adaptable colonies and then click on a colony with a moon. There's a survey moon button in there.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

You don't buy everything you just buy the flat system bonus things so it costs you around 2.4k a system, which I make like every turn at turn 120ish. I don't buy ships though they cost entirely too much as non UE, thankfully I have a system with 300+ industry soooo that isn't too much of a problem.
Dust generation is still broken in general right now in Alpha-2. If anything, it seems even more broken given the tax changes to offset the upkeep changes. Even without making use of the conversion functions, you can still easily rake in a lot of dust in the mid-game with a tax rate of 0%. Throw conversions on top of that and it spirals into "break the game" territory.

http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?2740-Alpha-2-New-tax-mechanism-ultra-easy-mode

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

NmareBfly posted:

Feature request: allow a colony ship to add one pop to a destination system even if the planet is already colonized. Destroy the ship when doing so, rational being that (for balance) it'd be too easy otherwise to shuttle people over from high food system for bootstrapping colonies and (for fluff) the new residents need to cannibalize the ship for housing or whatever.

Here's another similar request: Add transport ships. It didn't really break Master of Orion or anything (although they had a different system, technically). Sucks to be the people born on Garden of Eden Fucktopolis to be shipped to work the slave mines of Lava Hell, but them's the breaks sometimes.

burnt_offerings
May 9, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Here's another similar request: Add transport ships.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of races that have transport ship hulls. If you go into the ship design part, you'll see the transport hull in there. I've never built one because I think I'm missing the point of the transport ship when there is already a hiveship, or colony ship.

Anybody else seen this before or actually built one to see what it does?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

burnt_offerings posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of races that have transport ship hulls. If you go into the ship design part, you'll see the transport hull in there. I've never built one because I think I'm missing the point of the transport ship when there is already a hiveship, or colony ship.

I think he means, a way to move colonists between already colonized systems. Which there currently is no way. I wouldn't be surprised if they added one, seems kind of silly to have an entire colony category to support modules but only have a single module allocated to it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Personally, I'd rather see them just have the excess population from an already full system just kind of wander off to other systems. Or have the excess food production from one system applied to another for growth. You know, kind of like the old days of Master of Orion II when, near the end of the game, you could feed your whole empire with one or two upgraded to gently caress and back Gaia planets.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

burnt_offerings posted:

Rascyc posted:

I think he means, a way to move colonists between already colonized systems. Which there currently is no way. I wouldn't be surprised if they added one, seems kind of silly to have an entire colony category to support modules but only have a single module allocated to it.

The 'transport' hull is basically the colony ship, it has a tonnage bonus to the colony 'seed' module and that's it. You can basically throw that and an engine upgrade on it and it's full.

Instead of a new ship class they should just let you 'spend' a colony ship to add pop to an already-established colony. So if you REALLY want to spend the industry to build it it becomes a (kind of cumbersome) way for your breadbasket systems to shuttle people to Toxic Lava Hellworld VII.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WarLocke posted:

Instead of a new ship class they should just let you 'spend' a colony ship to add pop to an already-established colony. So if you REALLY want to spend the industry to build it it becomes a (kind of cumbersome) way for your breadbasket systems to shuttle people to Toxic Lava Hellworld VII.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. I think having a ship that just shuttles people without getting destroyed in the process would be sorta of unbalancing, especially for races like Horatio that just crap out one pop a turn in any system with even a modest amount of food.

It's a max of one pop a turn, right? I've never seen it go up by more even with a titanic food surplus.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

checkstock posted:

You need to research adaptable colonies and then click on a colony with a moon. There's a survey moon button in there.

Side note on moon surveys: They're not very good. Pick up this tech when you don't really have anything else to get (or if you have a lot of planets with basic anomalies that you need to get rid of which is on the same research) because moon surveys by themselves aren't very great. The chance of finding anything useful on the moon seems pretty low, maybe a 15% chance or so. The majority are going to be empty rocks.

There are some later techs you can research that let you get more food from surveyed moons, although that's kind of pointless since a moon survey is something you'll do on a well developed system (it takes away one unit of population just to do it). There's an even later tech that lets you add one more pop cap for having a surveyed moon, which is moderately useful. Although it's also in the same area with some other techs that give you even better population increases with or without a moon. So in general, everything you can do with moons right now is, at best, just okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Rascyc posted:

The reason not to do this is that it would make having terran planetary systems with growth foci shuttling population to production and research centers all over your empire both an enormous amount of micromanagement and entirely necessary for any sort of efficient play in multiplayer.

It works in SOTS where the only thing you build is ships and growth is just a factor of population and terraforming status rather than being completely different based on planet type, but in a game as micro heavy as Endless Space already is it would be terrible for gameplay.

• Locked thread